Ports in French Polynesia - any ideas for excursions?

PaoloCaldo

Ports in French Polynesia - any ideas for things to do in:

PAPEETE, TAHITI FRENCH POLY

MOOREA, FRENCH POLYNESIA

BORA BORA, FRENCH POLYNESIA

RAIATEA, FRENCH POLYNESIA

Will be on Rhapsody of the Seas ex Honolulu 29 Sept to Sydney :cool:

Ports in French Polynesia - any ideas for things to do in:

PAPEETE, TAHITI FRENCH POLY

MOOREA, FRENCH POLYNESIA

BORA BORA, FRENCH POLYNESIA

RAIATEA, FRENCH POLYNESIA

Will be on Rhapsody of the Seas ex Honolulu 29 Sept to Sydney :cool:

I don't know what's specifically offered through the cruiselines; however, we went to Moorea, Bora Bora and Papeete on our honeymoon (stayed at the local resorts) and here's my suggestions (in order of must-do to cool to do).

1) Bora Bora--if you're up for it, go swimming with the sharks. The lagoon is shallow, they bring you out in a boat and feed the reef sharks while you snorkel and watch the sharks feed within inches of you. Really exciting.

2) Moorea--ignore all excursions. Rent or buy your own snorkel gear and take a taxi to any of the lagoons. Great snorkeling and if you own your own stuff, it will be free. Why pay extra?

3) Papeete--we did an off road tour of the inner island. Not much else to do in Papeete.

French Polynesia is an amazing place and I can't wait to hopefully go back at some point.

Check out the Pacific Islands Ports of call here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

We loved the French Polynesian Islands. Bora Bora was the absolute BEST! For a great day, take the luncheon and lagoon tour with Patrick, info is here: http://www.maohinui.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=31

This is the best excursion we have ever taken in all our cruising. Patrick grew p on the island and is very well educated and a pheonominal tour guide. The food is very authentic. The plates were large leaves, no silverware. Pig cooked in the earth oven, grilled lobster, yum yum. We also did the 4X4 tour around the island, and it has fantastic views at the top of the mountains, and you can see all around the island, with great views of all the little motus (islands) that surround the island.

In Moorea, we rented a car from Alberts:http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.albert-transport.net/&ei=j5mDTNu7CYGBlAfv1pnTDw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAlberts%2Btransportation%2BMoorea%26hl%3Den

They met us right near the pier. Very easy to navigate around the island, only 1 road. We were able to stop in a couple of the hotels, look around, even toured the over water bungalows.

Papeetee, very commercialized. Go to the market downtown, buy some flowers for your cabin. They are beautiful there.

You will love the French Polynesian Islands. They are truly Paradise! I can't wait to go back.

We loved our waverunner excursion that circled gorgeous Bora Bora and we also enjoyed a 4x4 excursion. Circling the stunning island of Moorea in rental cars with two other couples from the ship (I believe it's about 37 miles around) was a great day. We stopped along the way, including happy hour at a hotel...12 drinks placed in front of us! On the north coast of Moorea take a drive up to the Belvedere Outlook, overlooking two spectacular bays- Cooks Bay and Opunohu Bay. Enjoy this amazing paradise, I know you will! ;)

Papeetee - We booked with Patrick's Adventures and went up into the interior. It was beautiful.

Moorea- We did a ship tour (Princess) it was a 4x4 tour again a real off road tour.

Bora Bora - We rented a car and spent the day on our own. There are many places to stop and snorkel, shop do your own thing. You should book your car ahead of time. Many people had trouble renting the same day.

Archived