Cruise Critic Community
FLAMINGONC

Shore Excursions Royal Clipper Jan 22, 2011?

My Husband and I will be sailing on Royal Clipper on January 22, 2011 to the Windwards. Does anyone know what types of excursions they offer. We are looking for zip lining.... and other interest is waterfalls? We know there will be opportunities for snorkeling. Thanks.

It was a ship excursion. Nice ride through the countryside to get there also. We were late getting back, so it was a good thing it was through the ship. Had probably 20 - 25 from the ship including Mariano...the marine biologist aboard.

There are a few pics & one video(the pic that has the little camera icon displayed) that our guide took with our camera in our Gallery.

Mike

Thanks for the info and the great photos. We have been to the Grenadines on a crewed 70 ft monohull sailboat in 2004 and back to Palm Island in January 2009. We have been to St. Vincent and St Lucia and now e are looking forward to visiting new islands. Again thanks for your help. The zipline looks like alot of fun. Can't wait.

Just go to the Star Clippers website and you can download a PDF file of all the shore excursions offered in the various Caribben itineraries/ships and on which islands they are offered. The PDF I downloaded is titled 10-rc-barbados.pdf

I recall there was a zip line trip but can't remember where... it may be on Dominica.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the instructions on where to find the shore excursions, I had no idea they even had them on their website until you mentioned this...

They are up now, but when this question was originally posted, they weren't available yet. The current excursion booklets usually don't post until about 30-45 days prior to the seasons sailings.

Also, they do make changes after they are posted, so it's a good idea to check them everyonce in a while.

Mike

I was the original poster. We have received our travel documents in the mail a few weeks ago (sailing Jan 22). Had a shore excursion booklet in the mailing. We are so excited. Haven't decided what we want to do for shore excursions. On Dominica we have lined up our own driver, he is flexible with arrival time or if for some reason we don't arrive. We don't pay him until end of our tour. He has room for another few people if anyone wants to join up for Dominica island tour on Jan 24 (Monday of our cruise week itinerary). !!!

We visited Dominica a month ago on the Emerald Princess and it was a wonderful day. We hired a taxi for an island tour and went on the Rainforest Gondola Tour. It was a great experience. Our driver only charged us $25pp. The Gondola was $40 and worth every penny. Our best souvenier was a carved mask made from the trunk of the giant fern trees ($10).

Thanks for the info about Dominca. We have lined up a private driver to pick us up when we arrive, he will be checking when and where we arrive. He does not charge until the end of the tour. We are hoping for a few waterfalls and anything he wants to share about his island. We are so excited as time draws close.

Thanks for the info about Dominca. We have lined up a private driver to pick us up when we arrive, he will be checking when and where we arrive. He does not charge until the end of the tour. We are hoping for a few waterfalls and anything he wants to share about his island. We are so excited as time draws close.

I would suggest that you get the price settled up front, then pay at the end. Having witnessed the price haggling and the extremes in prices and vehicles, I certainly wouldn't get into a car without knowing where I was going and what I was going to pay.

We have that all settled by email- Pick up at Rouseau - our tour includes Trafalgar Falls, Screw sulphur spa, botanical gardens, champagne reef and back to Cabrits. We have a confirmed price, our driver is Pepper, we followed adivce of folks on TripAdvisor. Thanks giving us some forethought. We have been to several islands over the years and are comfortable with getting around but still appreciate any advice for places we have not been.

We did what you have planned plus the Rain Forest Gondola. The botanical gardens were, IMO, a waste of time, but then I live in Key West which IS a botanical garden.

BTW, where in NC do you live? I was born in High Point, went to HP college, and have family spread between Winston, Roxboro, Morehead City, Ashville, Credmore.

Edited by WeBeGone

Just returned on Saturday from the Royal Clipper. Know you will enjoy your day trip. We had been to Dominica before and did the island tour privately, so this time I did sign up for the Falls/Snorkeling with the ship's tour because we were traveling with a group.

It was a good day....and the water is clear and you do see lots of fish/coral/and even an old canon with chain.

Ask away at any other questions....we had a wonderful trip. The ship is beautiful....rocking and rollin'.

Crew very good....food delicious.

When I have time - I will be posting a bigger review