Anyone make your own photo book?

vrodkaraf

I've used Kodak Gallery and think it is great. Everyone at my work just loves to look thru the books. They are hard cover 11X14 and you can have a picture printed directly on the front cover. Nice thick pages. You can have up to 100 pages with different layouts. However their prices aren't as great as they used to be. Usually with a sale or coupon code I could get the book at around $75 but lately there have been no sales or coupons on photobooks. I've just ordered a 12X12 book from shutterfly for $75 with 117 pages. I'm hoping to be just as satisfied with their product. Shutterfly did have one advantage over kodak gallery and that was their assortment of layouts was better.

We stayed at the River Lodge and Buffalo Camp. We did not get to Camp Jabulani, but were at the elephant back safari run by the camp. The elephant I rode was Jabulani. We purchased their foot prints that were printed on elephant dung paper. They are on my living room wall reminding me of, as you have said, one of the best experiences of my life. Camp Jubulani had nothing but rave reviews when I was reseaching our trip.Thornybush is beautiful, you must have have loved it there too. I read a blog from Motswari it mentions they had alot of much needed rain during their summer.

You may have already seen their website, but if not her is the link:

http://www.kapama.co.za/

They had not opened Karula yet when we were there, but it is open now.

Please share your book so I can see your photos too. I love seeing how people view the world through their camera. If you are using Blurb, I do not think you will be disapointed.

Enjoy creating a beautiful memory of your trip!

Hi again, Mountainview,

Just another question. I really loved your photos....you sure did get some excellent shots. Was just wondering what kind of camera you used and your lenses? I'm really just starting out and have purchased a Canon T2i but only borrowed a telephoto for our trip. I'll be purchasing one shortly so was interested in what you had. I looked at your book again....amazing photography!

Hi again, Mountainview,

Just another question. I really loved your photos....you sure did get some excellent shots. Was just wondering what kind of camera you used and your lenses? I'm really just starting out and have purchased a Canon T2i but only borrowed a telephoto for our trip. I'll be purchasing one shortly so was interested in what you had. I looked at your book again....amazing photography!

Thank you so much, I am still learning too so my camera and lenses are pretty entry level. This trip gave me alot of practice. I took almost 7000 photos. We had excellent rangers who did alarm the animals so they were very comfortable being around us. On one occassion a pride of 9 lions came around the jeep, I was only 2 feet away from one of the males, we caught each others eye as he passed and he proceeded to lie down about 6 feet from the jeep and seemed to pose. It was brilliant. We also were very lucky to see so many leopards, including a mom and her 2 cubs.

The camera I took the photos with is a Canon Rebel XSI, the lense I used the most was a EFS 55-250mm. We were so close to many of the animals a telephoto lense was not need, but I used it to realy zoom in. This lense is entry level, but I am very happy with its performance. The newer models I believe have a few more fetures.

I purchased this summer a Olympus Pen EPL-1. It also recoders HD video which my Canon does not. This camera is more compact, yet gives you the advantage of a point and shoot or an SLR. You can even change out the lense. It has several art and scene settings including diorama.

I have enjoyed and learned from your photos on this blog for a few years now. Your slideshow/book is a great way of showcasing your cruise adventures.

Beutiful and inspiring photography, thanks for sharing.

Having looked through your books as well, I'll have to say "right back at you!" Lovely photos!

Thanks.

Dave, I looked at your book. The photos are incredible. I hope you continue and let us know of your next project.

Mirka

I have one planned, but no time to pursue it right now. All of these nice comments may inspire me to get off my butt and get started! :D

Glad you enjoyed the cruise book.

Dave

Thank you so much, I am still learning too so my camera and lenses are pretty entry level. This trip gave me alot of practice. I took almost 7000 photos. We had excellent rangers who did alarm the animals so they were very comfortable being around us. On one occassion a pride of 9 lions came around the jeep, I was only 2 feet away from one of the males, we caught each others eye as he passed and he proceeded to lie down about 6 feet from the jeep and seemed to pose. It was brilliant. We also were very lucky to see so many leopards, including a mom and her 2 cubs.

The camera I took the photos with is a Canon Rebel XSI, the lense I used the most was a EFS 55-250mm. We were so close to many of the animals a telephoto lense was not need, but I used it to realy zoom in. This lense is entry level, but I am very happy with its performance. The newer models I believe have a few more fetures.

I purchased this summer a Olympus Pen EPL-1. It also recoders HD video which my Canon does not. This camera is more compact, yet gives you the advantage of a point and shoot or an SLR. You can even change out the lense. It has several art and scene settings including diorama.

If those are the photos you took with what you call "entry level"equipment, I really don't think you need to purchase anything more. Your sunset photos are really wonderful. Mine turn out ok but I always think I'm doing something wrong. What setting do you normally use.

If those are the photos you took with what you call "entry level"equipment, I really don't think you need to purchase anything more. Your sunset photos are really wonderful. Mine turn out ok but I always think I'm doing something wrong. What setting do you normally use.

Until I can make some money at my hobbie I can not justify the cost of the more expensive equipment. When I purchased my camera and lenses I was told they were entry level. My telephoto lense was on sale for $199, but I am true believer it is not the cost of equipment that will always get a better picture. It is the passion, eye for detail and patients you have and luck helps too.

To be honest I shot alot on automatic and P, because I was scared to loose the shot. I am still learning about camera settings so when I did shoot off automatic, I took alot of pictures experimenting with f stop, exposer etc. I would often shoot in continous mode when shooting the animals because their movements were fast. For example the hippo who was not happy we parked next to his pond.

Every afternoon durning our downtime I would download my pictures to a laptop and the could tell what settings were working.

Until I can make some money at my hobbie I can not justify the cost of the more expensive equipment. When I purchased my camera and lenses I was told they were entry level. My telephoto lense was on sale for $199, but I am true believer it is not the cost of equipment that will always get a better picture. It is the passion, eye for detail and patients you have and luck helps too.

To be honest I shot alot on automatic and P, because I was scared to loose the shot. I am still learning about camera settings so when I did shoot off automatic, I took alot of pictures experimenting with f stop, exposer etc. I would often shoot in continous mode when shooting the animals because their movements were fast. For example the hippo who was not happy we parked next to his pond.

Every afternoon durning our downtime I would download my pictures to a laptop and the could tell what settings were working.

Well, a big pat on the back to you, Mountainview. You really did a great job. Your pictures are amazing!

I have just started working on my book in Blurb. I hadn't used it before so I'm trying to figure it out. I can see it will take a while but that's OK. I'm sure I have until my next trip to get it done! :)

Well, a big pat on the back to you, Mountainview. You really did a great job. Your pictures are amazing!

I have just started working on my book in Blurb. I hadn't used it before so I'm trying to figure it out. I can see it will take a while but that's OK. I'm sure I have until my next trip to get it done! :)

Thank you for all your compliments. It is great to get critics from non-family members. I look forward to seeing your book too. If you want people to be able to view your entire book online you can change the settings to allow more than a 15 page preview. One of the newer features on Blurb is that you can layout your own page. You then can save the layout and repeat over and over. My Safari book was too large to upgrade to premium paper, however a friend did. The premium paper was nice, but I was never disatisfied with the regular.

Having looked through your books as well, I'll have to say "right back at you!" Lovely photos!

Thanks.

I have one planned, but no time to pursue it right now. All of these nice comments may inspire me to get off my butt and get started! :D

Dave

Thank you, it is great to have your work reviewed by someone who is not related. You can get a true direction. I look forward to reading more of your posts and seeing more of your photos. I now need to go back and re-read your threads how to post single pictures on this board.

I was looking for info on digital photo storage and came across this post,

just adding my 2 cents...

I've used Blurb several times, for vacation photos, wedding album, etc. My books have always come out looking very professional and I have been very happy with the entire process.

The bigger books (12 x 12) come out especially nice.

Good Luck with your book.... Be creative and have fun.

Thanks.

Dave

Well, Dave. You made me get off my butt. I check out Blurb, loved it, and I'm almost done with my first book. Thank you for your suggestion. Can't wait to see it in print.

Best regards, Mirka

Well, Dave. You made me get off my butt. I check out Blurb, loved it, and I'm almost done with my first book. Thank you for your suggestion. Can't wait to see it in print.

Best regards, Mirka

Best of luck with the book. I can't imagine that you'll be disappointed with the quality.

Happy shooting....uh, publishing! :D

Dave

I did a book on Blurb.com. Really came out well. Great color and quality. I made a slideshow of the contents here:

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/cruisebook/slideshow

Dave

WOW!!!!!! Super great and very impressive pictures, book, lay-out, organization, etc. Lots of great ideas in this book for doing and taking on-ship pictures. Impressive!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 19,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Mac and have Iphoto and Aperture for photo software. I've been extremely happy with the photobooks I've done on Aperture (which "prints by Mac") I was going to use Blurb, but found it much more time-intensive to make photo books with their software. There was a comparison somewhere on the net that showed people's satisfaction with various printers...smileonme, blurb, etc. were some of the top ones.

I've done two books with Photoworks. The first was 8 1/2 x 11, and the second was 5 x 7. The larger book looked so much better than the smaller. With the smaller book, I'd limit to 2 to 3 photos per page. I was looking for a proof book for a no frills catalog of some photos on disk, but haven't been able to find any yet.

I've done a couple with mypublisher. The frequently run specials with discounted books, free shipping etc.

http://www.mypublisher.com/?e=OHm3Q8zJl3RT7EOi_IA0HhxWNU9MUQom&showForm=true

Eurodam: book Id: M1077628 Password: 1520738

http://www.mypublisher.com/?e=OHm3Q8zJl3TrmyQUmKVYn5wh6Ko7twle&showForm=true

Venice: book Id: M783354 Password: 1268449

I've done a couple with mypublisher. The frequently run specials with discounted books, free shipping etc.

http://www.mypublisher.com/?e=OHm3Q8zJl3RT7EOi_IA0HhxWNU9MUQom&showForm=true

Eurodam: book Id: M1077628 Password: 1520738

http://www.mypublisher.com/?e=OHm3Q8zJl3TrmyQUmKVYn5wh6Ko7twle&showForm=true

Venice: book Id: M783354 Password: 1268449

I just viewed your photo books and enjoyed them both. Love the pages with the menues. Thanks for some new inspirations.

I've used Walgreens, Shutterfly, Kodak, and Mixbook, Mixbook is by far my favorite one though! You can move the pictures around, change the sizes, and add stickers to them as well just like you would do with a traditional scrapbook! Everyone loves my scrapbooks so much that I end up making them for other people as well.

here are some books I have recently made:

Bachelorette Party:

http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/friends/denise-s-batchlorette-party-4785376?utm_campaign=share_project&utm_medium=email&utm_source=MixbookMailer

Las Vegas

http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/all/las-vegas-4726443?utm_campaign=share_project&utm_medium=email&utm_source=MixbookMailer

My last cruise books were done with shutterfly, and I've gotten much more into it since I used shutterfly, hope this helps give an idea of what you can do with the mixbooks, just another suggestion to add to the list!!

Archived