Anyone make your own photo book?

vrodkaraf

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1156652

Link to one of my Hawaii books from blurb. I also use a company called Print my photo book The page for them is printmyphotobook.com I like both of the companies. The ones on printmyphotobook are either to long or to old to post here I think. The last one I did was of my daughters wedding and its around 80 pages I think.

Hi all. I've enjoyed looking at the variety of books on this thread. Here's a link to my first book through Blurb -

http://www.blurb.com/books/1031940

It looks best if you view it full screen (click the little full screen icon just below the book on the right. I do a lot of panoramic photos and the hardest part was splitting the images up to go on the two different pages. I made the book about a year ago and they may have improved the software so you won't have to split them. Let me know what you think.

-Ken

Hi all. I've enjoyed looking at the variety of books on this thread. Here's a link to my first book through Blurb -

http://www.blurb.com/books/1031940

It looks best if you view it full screen (click the little full screen icon just below the book on the right. I do a lot of panoramic photos and the hardest part was splitting the images up to go on the two different pages. I made the book about a year ago and they may have improved the software so you won't have to split them. Let me know what you think.

-Ken

Nice job.

I have been playing with Blurb, have not done a book yet.

It seems that some of my pictures are not high enough resolution to put in a large bleed pic.

Any thoughts or your experience with this?

have done a few costco books..get lots of warning messages that a photo is not high enough resolution...this is lawyer fed cya...photo works..not as sharp as you can get but whe when its the picture that is important not a problem... check the size of your picture..ie a 16k picture is not going to work well but anything over a megapixel should be fine up to 8 by 10 or so

Nice job.

I have been playing with Blurb, have not done a book yet.

It seems that some of my pictures are not high enough resolution to put in a large bleed pic.

Any thoughts or your experience with this?

Thanks. Since Blurb prints at 300 dpi your pictures should be high enough resolution to print at 300 dpi the size you want them in the book. So, if you are printing a standard portrait book (8x10) and you want one of your pictures to fill one page it need to be 2400x3000 pixels in size (8x300 and 10x300). This converts to an RGB image that is a little over 21mb in size. If you want to spread an image across two pages it needs to be twice that size. So most of today's cameras (point and shoot and DSLR) should be enough resolution, at least for one full page. Does that make sense? Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Shutterfly to make two 101page 7X9 books at $20 each, using a 50% off sale. I am very happy with the results for the price. However, the 8X11 hard cover book is stunning. Because you hold the book a little further away and the pictures on the page are larger, you are less likely to see any dots that you might see in the 7X9. I have also ordered a 12X12 book, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Three years ago I used Blurb. It is probably not a good idea to compare Shutterfly with Blurb as maybe Blurb has improved its technology in the past three years.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got a book made by Shutterfly. The quality was very good, and their tools to make the book are all online (nothing to download). Plus, unlimited free storage. I would still like to compare to Blurb, I'm hoping to do that next. But I do like the book!

• 1 month later...
Best of luck with the book. I can't imagine that you'll be disappointed with the quality.

Happy shooting....uh, publishing! :D

Dave

Dave, I have finished my book. It was a photo/cookbook for my daughter for Xmas. She cried when she received it. A lot of photos were old and scanned, but all were quite nice when printed. All together it was a great project. Quality of the book was excellent. Thanks again for your initial suggestion.

Mirka (one of your bigger fans)

• 2 months later...

I have used both Shutterfly and My Publisher. I love each of the books and so do all the Family & Friends who have received them. The paper quality of My Publisher is better than Shutterfly. I have been in the process of making books with 2 others - Picaboo and Blurb. Unfortunately I don't have the time to sit and play anymore as I have begun working towards the completion of my Master's Degree.

Dave,

A word of thanks for all your advice over the years. Your photos inspire me to want to do more with mine. I am considering a move up from a Sony p&s (has taken great pics for me since 2006), but don't know if I have the time to devote to a dslr at this point in time. Look forward to viewing more of your art work!

Sandy

Dave, I have finished my book. It was a photo/cookbook for my daughter for Xmas. She cried when she received it. A lot of photos were old and scanned, but all were quite nice when printed. All together it was a great project. Quality of the book was excellent. Thanks again for your initial suggestion.

Mirka (one of your bigger fans)

Sorry I missed this. It posted right during our relocation to Georgia and my forum following time was spotty. I'm glad to hear that the book was a success...both on paper and emotionally!;)

Dave,

A word of thanks for all your advice over the years. Your photos inspire me to want to do more with mine. I am considering a move up from a Sony p&s (has taken great pics for me since 2006), but don't know if I have the time to devote to a dslr at this point in time. Look forward to viewing more of your art work!

Sandy

What a nice thing to say! I'm glad you were able to use the info that I babble on about to further your enjoyment of photography!

Happy shooting!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad this thread was resurrected.

Back in November 2010, this thread inspired me to do two books.

First book I used Blurb. Found it fine, a bit hard at first to work with the software. Book came out great.

I then went to My Publisher, found it a lot easier to use, really liked the results. Here is a link to that book

• 3 weeks later...
pierces

Your book is phenomenal!!!!

The sights you have seen, and the way that you have captured them is exceptional!!!

Thank you for posting the link:)

Thanks for the kind words!

I had a lot of fun making the book and even more taking the pictures!

Dave

• 1 month later...
I use Shutterfly for my books.

Here's a link to my last cruise book: http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/post/start.sfly?postId=/gallery/1/post/GMGDJgyat2DNowYg_K7pNA

Jamie

What a wonderful book! I have a New England/Canada cruise booked for fall of 2012 and looking at your book makes me not want to wait a year. Great photos!

Archived