Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Igor

So you think that getting tough with the airline is going to do you any good because YOU now want to fly in a day early due to possible weather scenarios and expect them to waive any additional charges ??? Good Luck on that one. YOU opted to fly in on the day of sailing to begin with. YOU took the risk of sailing during hurricane season and possible flight delays...But now YOU want to get "tough" with the airline ??? :rolleyes: I have no pity for those that COULD HAVE elected to fly in a day early for their cruise (especially during hurricane season) but opted not to do so....and now are whining !

But I do hope that anyone sailing this weekend is not affected by weather scenarios beginning to blossom and head towards the caribbean..... Safe Travels to all :)

Some of us had jobs and could only get off on the Sat of sail out but now in between jobs so could. I have flown out on same day for years and during hurricane season... dont ask much of the airlines.. but have flown for years... and know they can make exceptions when they want to... So have no pity... if you want my friend.. but some us when booking had no choice when we flew out at the time. :eek:

Some of us had jobs and could only get off on the Sat of sail out but now in between jobs so could. I have flown out on same day for years and during hurricane season... dont ask much of the airlines.. but have flown for years... and know they can make exceptions when they want to... So have no pity... if you want my friend.. but some us when booking had no choice when we flew out at the time. :eek:

Ahhhhh but you are not reading my post too correctly... I said for those who COULD have flown in a day early but opted not too... You now tell the story that you COULD NOT have done so when booking the cruise and I have been in that position as well and had to fly in the day of sailing.

But still to EXPECT the airlines to give you a break because of the weather and you are going on a cruise..... Good Luck "my friend" ! :rolleyes:

All of the early forecasts take Igor into the open Atlantic. Bermuda can't be ruled out, but that is many days away. Forecast models just aren't that accurate that far out. I don't believe that Igor is even a storm at this point. It is being sheared. NHC is banking on the shear to decrease and for it to strengthen.

Edited by Host Terry
self promotion

Sept 19th out of Baltimore here :D! Is there a point at which we will be out of the woods as far as storm formation or is it really just wait and see the entire time up to the cruise then as well as when we are on it?

Thanks for your expertise!

Sept 19th out of Baltimore here :D! Is there a point at which we will be out of the woods as far as storm formation or is it really just wait and see the entire time up to the cruise then as well as when we are on it?

Thanks for your expertise!

When I go on a cruise, I follow the weather every day. (How could a meteorologist not?) Hurricanes usually don't, but can form fairly quickly. The system that formed in the southwestern Gulf almost became a hurricane a day and a half later. As for leaving from Baltimore, it really is too early to tell.

When I go on a cruise, I follow the weather every day. (How could a meteorologist not?) Hurricanes usually don't, but can form fairly quickly. The system that formed in the southwestern Gulf almost became a hurricane a day and a half later. As for leaving from Baltimore, it really is too early to tell.

Well at least I know I'm in good company as far as watching the weather every day before a cruise is concerned!! :)

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and it will reveal itself soon enough.

Thanks again for keeping us abreast on conditions.

Denise

Taylor, you're right. Each of the models is color coded. Right now, the UKMET is the one I'm worried about as we are booked on the Carnival Fantasy out of C'ston the 18th. Extrapolate the UKMET out and you'll understand my concern! Rich...if you're still on the board...how accurate has the UKMET been in the past?

Notyard

Taylor, you're right. Each of the models is color coded. Right now, the UKMET is the one I'm worried about as we are booked on the Carnival Fantasy out of C'ston the 18th. Extrapolate the UKMET out and you'll understand my concern! Rich...if you're still on the board...how accurate has the UKMET been in the past?

Notyard

I personallhy am not a fan of having the models available to the public. A lot of the models IMHO are nearly useless. It is hard to be objective taking a cruise and seeing one of the tracks heading the the island that you are visiting.

I normally don't look at the UKMET, although I know some mets that do. There are large errors involved especially 4-5 days out with most models. There really is no way at this point to say how much Bermuda is going to be involved. A prime example of this occured earlier this season when the tracks had Danielle heading to Bermuda. About 24 hours away from Bermuda Danielle turned and they saw almost no effects from the hurricane except for some rough seas.

Edited by Hurricane Expert

I am getting a little nervous between these two systems. Not so much Igor but the system down south ruining the departure of our 9-18 cruise on Oasis out of Port Everglades ( Fort Lauderdale ) I don't care if it changed itinerary I just want my full 7 days! I also live in the area so I would rather not have to worry about a storm and the damage factor to my houses.

I too am watching the forecasts with an interested eye... we sail out of Boston for New England/Canada 7 day cruise on the 18th.... doing the NON hurricane dance and praying for calm seas!

I'm getting nervous to. I have been following this for several days now. It's just moving so slowly. Did you see the one on it's heels? We can just hope for the best but either way it looks like it will be rough seas.

Igor is now organizing quickly. It is much stronger than the official 80 mph.

Do you see this one heading up the east coast? Like to affect the Boston to Nova Scotia area from Saturday on?:confused:

I'm getting nervous to. I have been following this for several days now. It's just moving so slowly. Did you see the one on it's heels? We can just hope for the best but either way it looks like it will be rough seas.

I saw it but the models put it somewhat away feom us for now....I am just really afraid of this one. Lets hope it turns before it gets to Bermusa so it will not head up the east coast between Boston and Bermuda and get up to canada.

So, I see Mr. Igor is expected to make a northerly (is that a word?) turn and put it at the level of but some distance east of Baltimore on Sunday afternoon when we are scheduled to depart.

In your experience, are we likely to have rough seas for the first part of our travels? Just not sure about how far out from the eye the winds and rains can affect the seas.

Thanks for any input!

Denise

So, I see Mr. Igor is expected to make a northerly (is that a word?) turn and put it at the level of but some distance east of Baltimore on Sunday afternoon when we are scheduled to depart.

In your experience, are we likely to have rough seas for the first part of our travels? Just not sure about how far out from the eye the winds and rains can affect the seas.

Thanks for any input!

Denise

It really depends on how much Igor weakens over the next couple of days. Right now seas are near 50 feet under the eyewall and about 10 feet at least 500 miles away. I would expect the swell to be higher than normal, but it really is too early to say how much higher.

It really depends on how much Igor weakens over the next couple of days. Right now seas are near 50 feet under the eyewall and about 10 feet at least 500 miles away. I would expect the swell to be higher than normal, but it really is too early to say how much higher.

50 feet!!! :eek: Holy cow! I heard that eyewall was a scary place, now I believe it!!

Okay, guess it's still wait and see. Got the sea band and dramamine ready!

Thanks for the answer!