30lbs in 30 weeks....................

Dolly Rocker

I learned a new medical term yesterday: telogen effluvium. Apparently it's really common to lose a lot of hair 2-3 months after major surgery. You wouldn't believe how much hair I'm seeing in the shower drain. I have to wear a ponytail at work to keep it from scattering all over the office. My hair is really long (almost to my waist) so it's really obvious when it falls out.

What's worse is that I'm hoping to have my second surgery in about a month. If more hair falls out after my next surgery, I'll be lucky to have any left at all. :eek: I think I'm going to have to break down and get my hair cut short - it will make the thinning less noticeable. It's a good thing I've lost about 30 lbs. My face used to be a lot rounder, so a short cut would have looked terrible. I may be able to pull it off now.

On the up side, I'm back to working part time now. All my old pre-surgery skirts are falling off me. I've got some smaller sizes packed away somewhere - just need to find them. I only work afternoons, so I'm going to try walking every morning. The stronger/thinner I get, the better the next surgery/recovery will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've walked at least 30 minutes for 10 of the last 11 days. I took the day off when I had my colonoscopy on Wednesday. The procedure went well, and I'm hoping that the doctor will give me the okay for my reversal surgery next month.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congratulations, cabrioclo! I hope you're having a wonderful time on your cruise.

It looks like I haven't posted since January. Since then...

I haven't had my surgery yet. The doctor I met with after my colonoscopy (which was clean - no polyps, no more diverticula) said that he could do the surgery after 3 months, but it is best to wait for 6 months because the scar tissue thins out with time, so the odds are better that everything will heal up with no leaks. He also told me to take my vitamins and not try to lose weight right now. I need to be as healthy as possible for the surgery, which is scheduled for April 6th.

I hope it's not a problem that I have been losing weight. :confused: My temporary part-time job ended, so I'm back to not working. My day doesn't have any structure, so I just eat when I'm hungry, and I only have healthy food in the house right now. With one month to surgery, I stepped things up this week. I'm taking my vitamins every day (which I tend to forget when I'm not working.) I've also been walking 30 or 40 minutes every day. I bought some metamucil so I can get my colon functioning better.

I've lost 38lbs. since early September. I've lost it from everywhere except my lower abdomen. It's strange - I look pregnant when I'm standing up, but when I lie down, my stomach flattens out to the same level as my rib cage. I'm afraid my incision healed up before my wound was finished draining. I wouldn't be surprised If I'm carrying around 5-10 lbs. of fluid. I'm seeing my primary care doctor on Monday, and I'll ask her if she thinks it's a problem.

One more thing since my last post... I DID get my hair cut. :eek:

ry%3D480

Archived