Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

Terry, as always, your photos are stunning! We're in the very early planning stages for 2013, & Venice is definitely on the short list, I think it's simply going to come down to pricing for us, as there are so many places we still want to see, but your pictures present a compelling case!

Appreciate, Kitty, your nice comments. Hope that Venice makes your list for 2013. Here's some more of my 2011 photo "evidence" below for why Venice needs to be visited.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 48,214 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Don’t miss the Solstice sail-in for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

As we sailed into Venice on the Solstice, here is one of the views up a smaller canal, with a stone bridge, people and various buildings providing that great sampling of this unique city’s charm and architecture. It is much more just a few historic buildings there. It’s all over!:

VeniceUpCanalBldgsBridge.jpg

From the interior of Venice’s St Mark’s, here is a view that shows how much on this church is covered in these opulent, gilded Byzantine mosaics. Notice the details in the floor of this famed Basilica.:

VeniceStMarksInteriorDetails.jpg

This is a Venice parish church called Chiesa di San Moise on Campo San Moisè. It has an elaborate Baroque facade that is covered in designs that one travel book describes as having “scrumptious icing flourishes of carved-stone ornament”. This 1660’s facade is on a church site dating back to the 9th century and that honors Moses. At the right is the modern front of the five-star Bauer Hotel that is connected with an older palazzo fronting the Grand Canal.:

VeniceChurchNearBauerHotel.jpg

From the St. Mark's Campanile tower in Venice, here is a view looking across San Marco Piazza (with the shadow of this 323’ high tower showing in this picture?. In the first visual below, we are looking towards where the Solstice is docked at the top, right side of the picture. Lots of great views in all directions from this tower. The tower is topped by a pyramidal spire with a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. The current tower was reconstructed in 1912 after the collapse of 1902. The tower was originally used as a watch tower for the dock. It is now one of Venice’s most famous symbols. The original Campanile inspired the designs of other towers worldwide.:

VeniceTowerView2ShipEtc.jpg

With our ship’s schedule, having an overnight there allows time to sample the evening orchestras on San Marco Square playing to the crowds. Great fun at night in a wonderful setting.:

VeniceSanMarcoNightBand.jpg

great pictures! thanks for bringing back such great memories....Venice is truly magical, just wandering the streets, stopping for gelatto, window shopping, sigh....must go back! Jo

samavarcruiser: As always' date=' thank you very much for sharing [/quote']

THANKS to Jo and our German friend for the kind comments on my pictures from Venice! Here are a few more "fresh ones" from our June visit. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 48,413 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here is a shot taken from the main Tower at San Marco Square of the roof of St. Mark's. Next is a tight shot on some of the spectacular art on the front of St. Marks and a unique framing of the Tower from an arch of the Doge’s Palace.:

VeniceStMarksRoomFromTower.jpg

VeniceStMarksTightArt.jpg

VeniceTowerArchFraming.jpg

From St. Mark’s, here is a view of horse on the front, outside with the 500-year-old clock tower in the background. Next is the interior showing the domed ceiling art.:

VeniceHorsesClockTower.jpg

VeniceStMarksCeilingTops.jpg

No visit to Venice is complete without seeing this famed bridge over the Grand Canal. We had a brief drink and snack stops to watch all of the activity here.:

VeniceGrandCanelBridge.jpg

Below are some added "new" pictures from our June 14-15 overnight visit in this great, historic city. Of course, not much is really "new" here. That's greatness of Venice. So much to see and experience in just "walking around"!!!

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 48,983 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From near the Doge’s Palace, here is the view across the main waterway to San Giorgio Maggiore, a 16th century Benedictine church built between 1566 and 1610. Also shown is a gondola and passengers in the foreground. There were eight to ten thousand gondolas during the 17th and 18th century with only about four hundred in active service today in Venice:

VeniceGondolaStMarkAcrossH2O.jpg

At Campo San Moisè, this is an old, traditional light that is posted at or near a gondola station in Venice.:

VeniceNightLightBridge.jpg

Here are four more views in and around the Grand Canal that I had not posted previously. This canal makes a large S-shape through Venice over its 3,800-meter-long distance. The Grand Canal is 30–90 meters wide, with an average depth of 16.5 feet. First, looking southwest from near the Rialto Bridge shows a variety of boats on this canal. Second, looking northwest from the bridge, shows a sampling of colorful buildings along this famed waterway. Third, from a smaller canal, this shows an opening to the larger Grand Canal. Finally, there is a view from the bridge at the Academy Museum going towards the docking area near St. Mark’s.:

VeniceGrCanalBluePostsBoat.jpg

VeniceGrCanalBldgViewFrmBridge.jpg

VeniceGrCanalSideViewBldgs.jpg

VeniceGrCanalAcad2StMarks.jpg

• 3 months later...

Lovely pictures, really looking forward to go in May fo the very first time.

Need some help with the DIY walking tour. Will we be able to walk from the cruise port into town or to attraction like Piazza San Marco? or we need connecting transportion? How far is the walk? I am sure I will have more questions when I do more research. Thanks-in-advance for any help you or others can provide.

Need some help with the DIY walking tour. Will we be able to walk from the cruise port into town or to attraction like Piazza San Marco? or we need connecting transportion? How far is the walk? I am sure I will have more questions when I do more research. Thanks-in-advance for any help you or others can provide.

Venice is a walking city. From the cruise port to Piazzale Roma is about a half mile, you can walk this or take the People Mover (elevated tram). From Piazzale Roma to Piazza San Marco is about a mile and a half, which you can do on foot or via a vaporetto along the Grand Canal.

THANKS, Alexandra! Good website suggestion. I'm sure most all of us have some great and favorite memories on Venice, why we love this charming and historic town, etc. Here are a few more of my best loved visuals from being in Venice. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From along the Venice waterfront, this picture shows the Doge’s Palace and the Campanile. This bell tower of St Mark's Basilica is 323 feet tall.:

VeniceDogePalTower.jpg

Along the Grand Canal in Venice, you see a variety of watercraft, building and architecture style.:

VeniceAlongGrandCanal.jpg

From the arches at the western end of Piazza San Marco, you see a variety of people and activity, plus Saint Mark’s.:

VeniceArchesSMPlaza.jpg

At water level, this shows a typical smaller canal area with a gondola and various building styles in the heart of Venice.:

VeniceGandolaWaterLevelView.jpg

Inside Saint Mark's Basilica you see this sample of the Byzantine architecture, floors, etc., for this church that was consecrated in 1071.:

VeniceInsideStMarksFloor.jpg

These are the original four horses that are now inside Saint Mark's Basilica. These were outside, but were placed inside to protect these bronze treasures. Copies are now placed outside on the front of this church.:

VeniceStMarks4Horses.jpg

The horses were stolen from Constantinople when the French and Venetians sacked the city in a deplorable fashion in the early 13th Century.

The horses were stolen from Constantinople when the French and Venetians sacked the city in a deplorable fashion in the early 13th Century.

YES! Lots of things in and around St. Mark's Basilica were "stolen" or "liberated" as they might like to say or spin it. These "gatherings up" started when Venetian merchants stole the supposed relics or remains of Mark the Evangelist from Alexandria. Its decorations have changed and improved significantly over time. After the Basilica was consecrated in 1094, the changes in succeeding centuries, especially the fourteenth, all contributed to its style and unique exterior decorations. Seldom did a Venetian ship return from the Orient without bringing a column, capitals or friezes, taken from some ancient building, to add to the fabric of the basilica. Many of these items came from Istanbul.

These four horses of St. Mark's were installed on the Basilica around 1254. They date to "Classical Antiquity" as they once adorned the Arch of Trajan. The horses were long displayed at the Hippodrome of Constantinople and in 1204 the Doge sent them back to Venice as part of the loot taken from Constantinople in the Fourth Crusade. They were also taken to Paris by Napoleon in 1797 but returned to Venice in 1815. After a long restoration, they have been kept in St. Mark’s Museum (inside the Basilica on the second floor). The four horses currently on the facade of the cathedral are bronze replicas.

Below are some added pictures in and around St. Mark's that I have not previously posted on this thread. These help show the varied and unique art and designs on this historic structure.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 64,569 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here are a series of added architectural details from famed St. Mark’s Basilica. This includes below, the front top over the main entrance with the gold lion on a blue design background, details on the various marble columns on the front, the figure of Christ at the top of main building, a mosaic religious piece on the second floor front area, inside the church as an older priest performs mass in a side chapel and highlights from the top of the building. Lots of unique art and design here.:

VeniceStMarksGoldLionOnBlue.jpg

VeniceStMarksColumnsDetails.jpg

VeniceStMarksTopChurchFigure.jpg

VeniceStMarksMosaicDetails.jpg

VeniceStMarksSideChapelPriest.jpg

VeniceStMarksFrontTopHilights.jpg

Hello Terry,

Just wanted to thank you for posting those amazing photos of Venice. We will certainly explore this wonderful city by walking on our own. I was wondering if you recommend anything to do in the evening in Venice, as our ship is overnighting. Have you taken the gondola ride in the day or evening?

We are going on the Solstice May 11-2012 leaving from Barcelona with a group of friends.

And I am planning all our "what to do" in each port. I have already been to Rome and Naples, twice before, so I have those days planned for our friends. For Venice and Dubrovnik (saw your great pics on your thread and got some great ideas - thanks), we are planning to tour and walk on our own. As for La Spezia, perhaps a ferry boat or train tour of the five villages, Les Cinque Terre and then on foot in each village.

The only other two ports is Ajaccio and Toulon, France which I am researching now.

Thanks for sharing your info and photos,

Venice is a walking city. From the cruise port to Piazzale Roma is about a half mile, you can walk this or take the People Mover (elevated tram). From Piazzale Roma to Piazza San Marco is about a mile and a half, which you can do on foot or via a vaporetto along the Grand Canal.

Thank you for the info. I will help me plan my trip.

Hello Terry, Just wanted to thank you for posting those amazing photos of Venice. We will certainly explore this wonderful city by walking on our own. I was wondering if you recommend anything to do in the evening in Venice, as our ship is overnighting. Have you taken the gondola ride in the day or evening? We are going on the Solstice May 11-2012 leaving from Barcelona with a group of friends. And I am planning all our "what to do" in each port. I have already been to Rome and Naples, twice before, so I have those days planned for our friends. For Venice and Dubrovnik (saw your great pics on your thread and got some great ideas - thanks), we are planning to tour and walk on our own. As for La Spezia, perhaps a ferry boat or train tour of the five villages, Les Cinque Terre and then on foot in each village. The only other two ports is Ajaccio and Toulon, France which I am researching now. Thanks for sharing your info and photos,

Hi, Joanne! Glad to know you're experience and "in charge" on doing this research. Lots of great options and potentials in the Med.

For Venice in the evening, I would do dinner there, lots of walking around, catching the "battle of the bands" in the evening on San Marco Square, etc. Stay there late. Don't just rush back to the ship to do dinner there.

YES, Cinque Terre would be wonderful from La Spezia. Much will depend on weather in this port and other locations. Always be thinking about your "Plan A", but have a "Plan B" ready in case of weather or other factors impacting things.

From Toulon, you are somewhat, kind of, close to some wonderful options in nearby Provence. It is about 45 miles from Toulon to Aix. A little farther to St. Remy, etc. Sadly, Toulon is not as close and handy to the key places in Provence as one might desire.

AIX-EN-PROVENCE (population of 143,000) with Cezanne's studio on the road to Entremont; university town founded 122 B.C. as first Roman settlement in Gaul, near thermal springs. An elegant and beautiful town, the visitor will enjoy discovering its ‘thousand fountains’ as he or she roams through its labyrinth of narrow streets.

ST. REMY has its Roman ruins, a population of 9000 and is the setting of world-famous literature. Saint-Remy is one of the most representative of Provençal towns and allows the visitor to appreciate the true charm of this oft-celebrated region of the country. It comes as no surprise that Saint Remy, like Cannes or Saint Tropez, is a destination for many well-known personalities. This Gallo-Roman village is on the plains 20 km south of Avignon. Residents more recent than the Romans include Dr. Schweitzer, Dr. Nostradamus and Van Gogh. The picturesque, old village is protected by the circular 14th-century wall which is lined by its protective circle of buildings. Its dolphin fountain is located in the shaded square in front of a 16th century old convent. This is a busy, active village, with a good selection of restaurants and hotels for the traveller. Among the shops are a few with some regional pottery, including some beautiful sunflower plates influenced by Van Gogh. The road between St. Remy and the autoroute (at Cavaillon, 17 km to the east) is a scenic drive out of the past: the road is lined by plane trees.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures, etc.! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,713 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Edited by TLCOhio

• 2 months later...
wow, what a beautiful photos and I wonder what kind of camera? thank for showing it. Scottishwee35

Appreciate much the nice and kind comments from our Scottish friend with such good taste and judgement.

Thanks for your nice comments on my pictures! On the camera, I now have a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing, plus Nikon 18-55mm, 55-300mm lenses and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle. That camera also has 1080HD video capability that works well with our new grandson and another grandchild due August 1. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. Some of the earlier Venice pictures were taken going back to 1989 and 1970 visits to Venice when I had one of the "old-fashioned" film cameras, also Nikon at that time.

In part, it's the camera. BUT, just like with an artist, it's not exactly the paintbrush that does the "magic". It is, more so, involving some basics, key photography secrets such as:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and not boring them with the average and poor ones.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to your "best of the best" picture before sharing.

See more details and ideas at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Have just booked another "adventure". It will be a first for this part of the world. It will be on the Celebrity Solstice, again! This time, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, for Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand. Have to wait until early 2014 as my wife's school schedule had made travel at this time not possible. After her retirement in June, 2013, we'll have more flexibility for travel timing and places. Also have China and SE Asia on the future "bucket lists".

Am getting ready to post some here on this board about some of the many other and super, wonderful churches in Venice. Below are just a couple of samples for what's coming. Will post more here as I get it all pull together. There is much more for great history and architecture in Venice than just St. Mark's.

It's been fun sharing these travel experiences. Appreciate those who have tune-in, asked questions, made comments! Keep it coming!! Don't be shy.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 74,533 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 66,910 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

As we sailed in, here is one of the churches we saw along the Giudecca canal after passing San Marco Piazza. It is the Santa Maria del Rosario or St Mary of the Rosary. It is commonly known as I Gesuati and is an 18th century Dominican church in the Dorsoduro. The Dominicans built to celebrate the glories of their order and to encourage devotion to the rosary. Built in a classical style with Rococo decoration, it is exceptional preserved in its original form and with key decoration intact. The architecture and almost all the sculpture and paintings were created within the same thirty year between starting in 1725 and consecrated in 1743. To support the weight of the facade, 270 piles had to be driven into the soil. Giant Corinthian pillars support a heavy triangular pediment. The main entrance door is surmounted by a curved pediment, is surrounded by four niches with large statues of the four cardinal virtues of Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance. The smaller, white stone-faced church that is shown on the left is Sta Maria della Visitazione that goes back its construction starting in 1493.:

VeniceRosaryChurchCanalTigher.jpg

San Barnaba is on a campo or square in Venice and is a neighborhood church. It was featured in numerous films including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, serving as the exterior of a library in the famed movie. The original, early medieval church of St. Barnabas was built in 809 by the Adorni family. This church was destroyed by fire in 1105, rebuilt by local parishioners and finally consecrated in 1350. Falling down from age, it was completely renovated in Neoclassical style in 1776. The church's façade from Istrian white marble is designed as Greek temple front with Corinthian style columns and triangular pediment.

VeniceSanBarnabaCampo.jpg

VeniceSanBarnabaChurchIndJones.jpg

I was reading your story of Solstice cruise and it was amazing story and lovely photos of last year.

Congratulations on your 39th Anniversary and

Last April, while we were at Eastern Caribbean, We were on Freedom of the Seas and saw Solstice cruise parked beside our.

Two interpreters was telling us about this ship and (we are deaf) and it look lovely ship.

I do have nikon camera but your photos look so beautiful.

About Venice, is it lot of walking? because I have early arthititis on my knee and unable to walking around lot which is a great shame and I used loved walking but now it is so painful.

We booked Spirit NCL cruise and will stop at Venice for 2 days before we flight home.

That why I am searching about Venice.

Scottishwee35

Edited by scottishwee35

I was reading your story of Solstice cruise and it was amazing story and lovely photos of last year. Congratulations on your 39th Anniversary and Last April, while we were at Eastern Caribbean, We were on Freedom of the Seas and saw Solstice cruise parked beside our. Two interpreters was telling us about this ship and (we are deaf) and it look lovely ship. I do have nikon camera but your photos look so beautiful. About Venice, is it lot of walking? because I have early arthititis on my knee and unable to walking around lot which is a great shame and I used loved walking but now it is so painful. We booked Spirit NCL cruise and will stop at Venice for 2 days before we flight home. That why I am searching about Venice. Scottishwee35

Appreciate your added background, comments on my pictures and your interest in Venice. I've had some knee troubles and take Celebrex on a daily basis to keep things running fairly smoothly. For me, Venice is a city that so inspires and makes any pain or challenges lessen fairly quickly. Do your best to maximize your time and efforts in this great city. The beauty (and curse) for Venice is that it can mostly only be done walking and/or boat. No cars, buses or motor scooters there.

Let me know any added questions on Venice and/or with other stops on your upcoming trip. Keep doing your good research and planning. It will help much.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 74,533 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hi Terry,

Your posts are in my favorites list as we are planning a land trip of 9 nights in early October. We're staying in an apartment for 3 nights with friends who are embarking on the Ruby for her TA. Then we are staying at a B&B for 6 additional nights since we've already done the TA. We look forward to visitng a city that you so obviously love.

Rita and Lou

• 1 month later...

This is an amazing thread for first time cruisers to Venice! I loved reading through all the information and looking at the beautiful pictures.

Thanks so much for posting these. I'm sure this thread will continue to come up in searches and help future cruisers going to Venice.

Hi Terry, Your posts are in my favorites list as we are planning a land trip of 9 nights in early October. We're staying in an apartment for 3 nights with friends who are embarking on the Ruby for her TA. Then we are staying at a B&B for 6 additional nights since we've already done the TA. We look forward to visitng a city that you so obviously love. Rita and Lou

MichelleinOC: This is an amazing thread for first time cruisers to Venice! I loved reading through all the information and looking at the beautiful pictures. Thanks so much for posting these. I'm sure this thread will continue to come up in searches and help future cruisers going to Venice.

Travel Writing Mary: City of falling angels was great!

Appreciate so much the added comments on this post and Venice. YES' date=' it's a super fascinating city with so much history, charm and character. Good luck to all on your future visits to Venice. This posting has had over 10,000 views and it is good that many can our love for Venice. Below are a few more pictures of Venice that I had not previously posted on this thread.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 88,691 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here are two more visuals from the mask shop somewhat hidden on the back-streets of Venice. As noted earlier, we had discovered this great place in 1999 and were lucky to find it again as we explored a little off of the typical tourist streets of Venice. They have such delightful and creative designs serving more of a professional customer base. The shop is called Tragi comica. Their web address is http://www.tragicomica.it.. Lots of unique art and design here.:

VeniceMaskShopOne.jpg

VeniceMaskShopTwo.jpg

Here was a sampling in a unique shop that specialized in many different types of chocolate. These items were very special and I am sure tasted wonderful. Lots of unique art and design here.:

VeniceChocCandyShopTreats.jpg

Here is a shop window in Venice featuring unique designs in fabric.:

VeniceFabricWindowUnique.jpg

In 1999, I bought a couple of ties at this shop right on San Marco Square. Then, the prices were lots and lots of lira, but only $8.50 in our money We stopped back last June. They still had the designs for the two ties I wear now, but the prices in euro are much higher, but not too bad for the quality offered. Lots of silk items in Venice to consider.:

VeniceTieShipOnSMSquare.jpg

Here are people in our group checking out one of the small shops off of the main areas. There are many potentials to consider as gifts for others and/or our use.:

VeniceStoreShoppingOptions.jpg

Thank you for posting here. I was in Venice last month for 4 days before a cruise. Of the world's cities I have visited, Venice is at the top of my favorites list right now.

Edited by Aquahound

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, The pictures are beautiful. When you were sailing into Venice, were you on the left or the right side of the ship? :cool:

Appreciate much the nice and kind comments from our Scottish friend with such good taste and judgement.

Thanks for your nice comments on my pictures! On the camera, I now have a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing, plus Nikon 18-55mm, 55-300mm lenses and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle. That camera also has 1080HD video capability that works well with our new grandson and another grandchild due August 1. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. Some of the earlier Venice pictures were taken going back to 1989 and 1970 visits to Venice when I had one of the "old-fashioned" film cameras, also Nikon at that time.

In part, it's the camera. BUT, just like with an artist, it's not exactly the paintbrush that does the "magic". It is, more so, involving some basics, key photography secrets such as:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and not boring them with the average and poor ones.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to your "best of the best" picture before sharing.

See more details and ideas at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Have just booked another "adventure". It will be a first for this part of the world. It will be on the Celebrity Solstice, again! This time, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, for Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand. Have to wait until early 2014 as my wife's school schedule had made travel at this time not possible. After her retirement in June, 2013, we'll have more flexibility for travel timing and places. Also have China and SE Asia on the future "bucket lists".

Am getting ready to post some here on this board about some of the many other and super, wonderful churches in Venice. Below are just a couple of samples for what's coming. Will post more here as I get it all pull together. There is much more for great history and architecture in Venice than just St. Mark's.

It's been fun sharing these travel experiences. Appreciate those who have tune-in, asked questions, made comments! Keep it coming!! Don't be shy.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 66,910 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

As we sailed in, here is one of the churches we saw along the Giudecca canal after passing San Marco Piazza. It is the Santa Maria del Rosario or St Mary of the Rosary. It is commonly known as I Gesuati and is an 18th century Dominican church in the Dorsoduro. The Dominicans built to celebrate the glories of their order and to encourage devotion to the rosary. Built in a classical style with Rococo decoration, it is exceptional preserved in its original form and with key decoration intact. The architecture and almost all the sculpture and paintings were created within the same thirty year between starting in 1725 and consecrated in 1743. To support the weight of the facade, 270 piles had to be driven into the soil. Giant Corinthian pillars support a heavy triangular pediment. The main entrance door is surmounted by a curved pediment, is surrounded by four niches with large statues of the four cardinal virtues of Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance. The smaller, white stone-faced church that is shown on the left is Sta Maria della Visitazione that goes back its construction starting in 1493.:

VeniceRosaryChurchCanalTigher.jpg

San Barnaba is on a campo or square in Venice and is a neighborhood church. It was featured in numerous films including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, serving as the exterior of a library in the famed movie. The original, early medieval church of St. Barnabas was built in 809 by the Adorni family. This church was destroyed by fire in 1105, rebuilt by local parishioners and finally consecrated in 1350. Falling down from age, it was completely renovated in Neoclassical style in 1776. The church's façade from Istrian white marble is designed as Greek temple front with Corinthian style columns and triangular pediment.

VeniceSanBarnabaCampo.jpg

VeniceSanBarnabaChurchIndJones.jpg

Thank you for posting here. I was in Venice last month for 4 days before a cruise. Of the world's cities I have visited, Venice is at the top of my favorites list right now.

BostonGirl88: Amazing Views Hi' date=' The pictures are beautiful. When you were sailing into Venice, were you on the left or the right side of the ship? [/quote']

Yes, Paul/Aquahound, Venice is wonderful!! We also so love your Key West, too the capital of the Conch Republic, right?

For BostonGirl88, our room balcony was on the starboard or right side, BUT, we and most people were up on the top deck. That way you better see the various sights on both sides of the ship during the sail in. If we were on the balcony, we would not have the full flexibility to see more, enjoy the other people there, etc. Below are a few more during the sail-in and sail-out that I had not posted previously on this thread.

THANKS for the nice comments and follow-up! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,280 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

On our sail-out (also a great must see and do) in Venice, this was the view as passengers were on the top deck seeing the various churches and historic buildings.:

VeniceSailOutShipView.jpg

Here is Punta della Dogana, the former Venetian Republic Customs House, sitting at one of the city’s most prominent spots. The 1676-built building stand on a triangular footprint next to the domed basilica of Santa Maria della Salute. It is at the eastern tip of Dorsoduro Island where the Grand Canal and the Lagoon converge. For hundreds of years, the Dogana received precious cargo from distant lands. At the top, front corner, it was originally a watchtower and has a statue of Fortune catching the wind was a weathervane and stands atop the golden globe/ball. It was reopened in 2009 as a contemporary art center. Second is a tighter view of the statute, golden globe, etc.:

VeniceGrandCanalPointGoldGlobe.jpg

VeniceTopTightGoldGlobeStatute.jpg

On the sail-in on the Canale della Giudecca, this was the view from the top on the ship's port/left side. Lots of interesting sights and architecture on this side of the ship, too! This view shows the tower and a side of the San Giorgio Maggiore, one of the most impressive Venetian buildings by famed architect Andrea Palladio. Its first stone was laid in 1566. It contains a number of paintings by various artists, including Tintoretto.:

VeniceSailInPortSide.jpg

During the sail-in, here we are making the turn towards where our ship did its docking You can see some of the distant oil refinery structures in the areas much farther from the historic city.:

VeniceSailInTurnCorner.jpg

On the sail-out from Venice, here is a little more "arty" shot/scene through the glass on the top deck as people line up to see the various buildings and these historic sights!:

VeniceSailOutPeopleGlassView.jpg

You are a very good photographer. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, Paul/Aquahound, Venice is wonderful!! We also so love your Key West, too the capital of the Conch Republic, right?

For BostonGirl88, our room balcony was on the starboard or right side, BUT, we and most people were up on the top deck. That way you better see the various sights on both sides of the ship during the sail in. If we were on the balcony, we would not have the full flexibility to see more, enjoy the other people there, etc. Below are a few more during the sail-in and sail-out that I had not posted previously on this thread.

THANKS for the nice comments and follow-up! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,280 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On our sail-out (also a great must see and do) in Venice, this was the view as passengers were on the top deck seeing the various churches and historic buildings.:

VeniceSailOutShipView.jpg

Here is Punta della Dogana, the former Venetian Republic Customs House, sitting at one of the city’s most prominent spots. The 1676-built building stand on a triangular footprint next to the domed basilica of Santa Maria della Salute. It is at the eastern tip of Dorsoduro Island where the Grand Canal and the Lagoon converge. For hundreds of years, the Dogana received precious cargo from distant lands. At the top, front corner, it was originally a watchtower and has a statue of Fortune catching the wind was a weathervane and stands atop the golden globe/ball. It was reopened in 2009 as a contemporary art center. Second is a tighter view of the statute, golden globe, etc.:

VeniceGrandCanalPointGoldGlobe.jpg

VeniceTopTightGoldGlobeStatute.jpg

On the sail-in on the Canale della Giudecca, this was the view from the top on the ship's port/left side. Lots of interesting sights and architecture on this side of the ship, too! This view shows the tower and a side of the San Giorgio Maggiore, one of the most impressive Venetian buildings by famed architect Andrea Palladio. Its first stone was laid in 1566. It contains a number of paintings by various artists, including Tintoretto.:

VeniceSailInPortSide.jpg

During the sail-in, here we are making the turn towards where our ship did its docking You can see some of the distant oil refinery structures in the areas much farther from the historic city.:

VeniceSailInTurnCorner.jpg

On the sail-out from Venice, here is a little more "arty" shot/scene through the glass on the top deck as people line up to see the various buildings and these historic sights!:

VeniceSailOutPeopleGlassView.jpg