Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

The Italians are amateurs when compared to the Spanish for late night dining. Once upon a time DW and I went to a highly rated restaurant in the city of Caceres, Spain. When we called to make a 9:00 reservation they advised us that the restaurant really did not open until 9:30 (and this was a school night). So, not wanting to be the first to arrive, we made a 10pm reservation. When we arrived at the restaurant about 10pm we were the first customers. By 11 the place was nearly full. At midnight a family of 6 (4 kids) were seated at the table next to us. DW and the Spanish lady soon got into a friendly discussion and DW ask how the children (2 were under 10 yrs old) could possibly go to school when they ate so late. The Senora explained that she puts the children to bed about 6:30pm and then wakes them around 11pm to get ready for dinner. She also told DW that most of their friends dined much earlier at about 10pm! Go figure.

The Italians are not nearly so crazy. When traveling throughout Italy we are usually in pretty good company if we go to dinner at 8:30 - 9:00.

Hank

Well that's about the craziest thing I have ever heard! I guess if they have done this their entire lives they are used to it. I'm afraid if we tried to start that here we might have the police involved :)

Edited by Melozone

Well that's about the craziest thing I have ever heard! I guess if they have done this their entire lives they are used to it. I'm afraid if we tried to start that here we might have the police involved :)

From our travels in Spain, YES, Hank is correct about the late night dining habits for those in that country. It might seem "too much" for us, but a native there explained their secret. They get up earlier the next morning, but have those afternoon "naps" to allow such late night activities. It's different than what we do in the US, but those in Spain have got those schedules down to a science and make it work well. Dining in Spain with locals can be interesting fun.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 103,131 views for this posting.

• 4 weeks later...

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have this headline: "An Insider’s Guide to Venice, Italy".

Among the highlights, they have in the subhead about the: "best places to eat, stay, shop and explore—both on and off the Italian city’s canals—with expert advice from museum director Philip Rylands, tastemaker Princess Bianca di Savoia Aosta, film director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck and fashion house owner Cristiano Ceccato"

Here is one of their key opening summaries: "On first view, iconic places can disappoint. After all of the hype, for example, the Champs-Élysées might not quite measure up. Venice is an exception: No photo, no painting, not even the reams of poems written by its centuries of admirers can prepare you for the jolt you get when stepping into this surreal land of water and stone. But even a city this beautiful has its challenges: Venice attracts a lot of visitors. Consequently, it can sometimes seem as overrun as a Renaissance amusement park—'half fairy tale and half tourist trap' as Thomas Mann described it."

As a secret from the Director of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, here is one of his key tips: "Doge’s Palace. Book in advance for the guided secret tour that takes you out of the gilded reception rooms and into the old offices, meeting rooms and even torture chambers where the real business of government was conducted."

From designer Princess Bianca di Savoia Aosta: "Spend a day in the lesser-known part of Venice, and enter every church you happen to bump in to. One of the best places to pick up gifts and unique mementos from your time in Venice is I Vetri A Lume di Amadi, near Campo San Polo. "

From film director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck: "Take the short water-taxi ride to Burano to admire its colorful houses and have a meal at the Trattoria al Gatto Nero, one of the best seafood restaurants in the region."

From fashionista Cristiano Ceccato: "Basilica dei Frari, formally Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, houses what’s probably the most amazing concentration of art and history in Venice that’s not in a museum, including works by Titian, Bellini and Donatello."

Plus this profile highlights the Taverna La Fenice restaurant, adjacent to Venice’s opera house, that we enjoyed for outdoor dining in 1999. They note it is a place "where one can relax in a deep armchair and dine superbly with excellent wines at non-touristic prices. San Marco 1939; ristorantelafenice.com"

Not sure that all can access the full story as part of the Wall Street Journal is behind a paywall. I am a regular subscriber and thought it was worth sharing here.

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/an-insiders-guide-to-venice-italy-1429298357

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 197,626 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona, Venice, etc. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 3 weeks later...

From the Wall Street Journal last week, they have this headline: "A Foodie Guide to Venice" with this subhead: "Sink your teeth into this ancient city—and avoid the tourist traps—on a cichetti crawl through back streets with Alle Testiere chef Bruno Gavagnin". Much of the story is a gastronomic tour with this famed chef in his native city.

Here are some of the story highlights: "You can easily get caught in the tourist traps of Venice, but you only need to dive a little deeper to find hidden treasures, and the sense of the ancient that pervades many of the back-street joints. Here, you come for the cichetti, or small plates, washed down with a glass of wine. Fish from the surrounding waters dominates the cuisine, and any culinary quest—even for the locals—means hopping around".

Here is another examples for the details during this tour as reflected in this WSJ profile: "Leaving the market, we puddle-hop through serpentine alleyways to Caffè del Doge on Calle dei Cinque at San Polo 609 ( caffedeldoge.com), where Mr. Gavagnin regularly stops in for a morning shot of house-roasted espresso. By the time we get there at 9 a.m., it’s packed out with local traders who’ve already finished half their working day. We join them with a signature short, dark Doge Rosso (€2.50) and a rich, flaky pastry with honey filling (€2), as the elegant grinders lining the wall of the small, standing-room-only cafe are put into overdrive, making the air fragrant with incredible aromas."

Historically, the chef notes: “In Venetian cuisine the focus is on saving what they cook. In antique times there was no fridge or air conditioning [and] fishermen had to bring food that was already cooked so they could spend a long time at sea."

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-foodie-guide-to-venice-1429818135

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 106,559 views for this posting.

LOL, you are not alone with that thought as even some of the Spanish are now questioning their own culture. Here is a link to a NY Times article on the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/18/world/europe/spain-land-of-10-pm-dinners-ponders-a-more-standard-time.html?_r=0

Hank

• 1 month later...

From the Guardian newspaper in the UK today, they have this headline: "Cruise ship access to Venice at stake in mayoral election" with this subheadline: "Outcome of vote will have a big influence on the kinds of cruise liners allowed to dock and the route they can take to get there"

Among the story highlights are: "The years-long debate over cruise ships’ access to Venice is now nearing a decisive moment. Last year the Italian government moved to ban megaships from entering Venice or passing Piazza San Marco. But the ban was reversed in January and the transport minister who supported it, Maurizio Lupi, has since resigned in the wake of a corruption scandal. The resignation last year of the Venice mayor Giorgio Orsoni in another corruption scandal has meant the debate over cruise ships has largely been on hold. That is likely to end with the election of a new mayor, to be chosen in a runoff election on Sunday, which will have an enormous influence on the kinds of cruise liners that will be allowed to dock in Venice and the route they will be allowed to take to get there."

We will be watching with interest this election and where this moves for the future.

Full story at:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/11/cruise-ships-venice-mayoral-election

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 23,986 views for these postings.

• 3 months later...
You are really a master of cruise reporting!

On another Cruise Critic board, I got this kind and generous comment about my various live/blogs from this experienced traveler. Yes, it is exciting to be having that kind of fun and adventure. PLUS, to be able to share with others and get nice feed-back/comments. Am finalizing right now the late January 2016 start of our first visit to Africa. This includes a ten-day South Africa to Mozambique cruise, plus safari time and visits to Botswana and Victoria Falls. More interesting pictures will be coming early next year.

I did notice from the Telegraph in London/UK yesterday, that they have this headline: "Secret Venice: guide to the city's best campi, or squares" with these highlights: "Venetian streets often seem overrun with tourists, but in the campi, or city squares, you will encounter alternative, secret worlds. Jonathan Glancey reveals 10 of his favourites"

Here are a few more details as to why this article might be worth checking out if Venice is on your upcoming to-do list and/or has been a past favorite to see and enjoy. Added story highlights: " Adventurous tourists can be seen ducking down alleys off the main tourist flow as if coming up for air in search of some alternative, secret Venice. This exists, but I think visitors might find it more easily by trying an altogether different tack. Instead of exploring the passages and alleyways, they might drop anchor in those much overlooked campi they have used as little more than empty spaces to overtake rival tourists impatient for San Marco and the Doge’s Palace. Bathed in sunlight and shadow, the city squares of Venice are a marvel in their own right. Irregularly planned for the most part, the campi vary from imposing, paved public bays, busy shopping ports and fashionable harbours awash with nightlife, to all but secret coves huddled between gnarled medieval buildings, leaning campanili and hump-backed bridges. Some are favoured by special restaurants or the kind of age-old cafés, delis, pasticceria and quotidian shops selling genuinely useful or wonderful things that have been disappearing from the city as quickly as giant cruise liners and no-frills jets have arrived."

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/venice/11906404/Guide-to-10-of-Venices-best-campi-or-city-squares.html

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 122,221 views for this posting.

• 2 months later...

From the Smithsonian Magazine earlier this past week, they have this headline: "Enduring Mystique of the Venetian Lagoon" with this sub-headline: "Among islands barely emerging from the water, you find yourself in an ageless world".

This long and well-detailed profile looks at a number of different locations nearby to the touristy, main town of Venice. Some of these islands are lost in a more distant period of distant history with many connections to varied authors and times of the past. Here are some of the story highlights: "At the Torcello stop, you’re let off the vaporetto and there’s just a path along a canal. Most people come to see the two ancient churches. They pause for a drink or lunch, then catch the boat again. By late afternoon, the island falls into a somnolent peace. I’ll stay for two nights, this odd spot where a Somerset Maugham or Graham Greene character might wash up. I was here 20 years ago. Little has changed. The path was sandy, now it’s bricked. The island is caught in time. Among islands barely emerging from the water, you find yourself back at the beginning. The city of Venice once was like these, just an idea of land. How crazy to think of building where the water table percolates just under the surface of the ground. After eight centuries of a thriving civilization on Torcello, malaria and silt ruined life on the island. People migrated onto the equally undependable strands that gradually became Venice. Torcello, you might say, is the mother of Venice. Now Torcello claims only ten residents. I must have been in a thousand churches during my years in Italy. It’s something to sort through on nights of insomnia, but Torcello’s church of Santa Maria Assunta may be the most interesting one I’ve ever seen."

This piece inspires ideas for exploring to these outward Venice locations with so much history, interest and character. The writer notes that Ernest Hemingway secluded himself on Torcello to write one of his novels.

There are a number of pictures shown including one with a gondolier at sunset navigating the shallow Venetian Lagoon, a 210-square-mile bay fed by the Adriatic Sea.

Full story at:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/mystique-venice-lagoon-180956871/?no-ist

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 191,160 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...

From the Wall Street Journal on Jan. 1, they have this headline: "As Venice’s Debts Mount, Mayor Pitches Sale of Art, Other Moves to Keep Finances Afloat".

We are WSJ on-line subscribers, but many others might not be able to read the full story behind their newspaper pay-wall. Venice's new Mayor has spoken bluntly his town is "all but broke". Here are some of the story highlights: "Town fathers across Italy have been struggling to close their budgets in recent years, as the country’s sour economy and cuts from the national government squeeze municipal finances. But by any measure, this aquatic city is uniquely expensive to run. Having now missed a deadline to fix the financial shortfall by the end of 2015, Venice now faces the prospect of millions of euros in sanctions from the central government in Rome that threaten to compound the city’s economic woes. Venice may be a dream for tourists, but keeping up the centuries-old floating masterpiece is a nightmare for its government. It faces exorbitant costs to deliver basic services, repair the fragile city’s infrastructure and sinking foundations from the erosion caused by daily tides and salty sea water, and cope with 23 million tourists that descend on the tiny metropolis each year. Take collecting Venice’s garbage. Seventy boats ferry 300 street cleaners around the city every day. The cash-strapped city is scrimping on essential services. For instance, water erosion means Venice must restore its buildings as often as every decade, compared with at least 50 years for normal cities."

This new Venice Mayor is considering selling some local art treasures and adding new fees. This includes a proposal that calls for "putting turnstiles at the six entry points of St. Mark’s Square to charge day-trippers €5 to enter. The figure would be charged during the peak tourist season. The city would also cap the number of people being admitted to the square at 65,000 a day."

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/as-venices-debts-mount-mayor-pitches-sale-of-art-other-moves-to-keep-finances-afloat-1451692954

Below are a couple of visuals from that Wall Street Journal story. One more fun and the other more effective in presenting the tourism numbers in a blunt, stark manner.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 131,038 views for this posting.

Below, first, is a fun, interesting visual sighting from the Wall Street Journal story on Venice and how Santa was getting around there. Second is a WSJ graphic that makes clear how dramatically have the tourism numbers gone up, UP in Venice. Those "day-trippers" are clearly a major part of the long-range challenge.:

Jan2016PixsA4%201_zpsx7vsbkfo.jpg

Jan2016PixsA5%201_zpsshszzit6.jpg

Thx for posting the quote, the photo, and the graphic. Sounds like such a dilemma -- tourists' dollars are crucial, but more tourists mean more wear and tear on a city that can barely stay afloat.

I support the turnstyles. Gotta do whatever will let Venice survive and hopefully thrive.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread!! We are going to the Med in April, and as a photographer enthusiast I'm debating the merits of taking my D750 full frame which I love or the smaller Olympus OMD E5.

Does the churches and Duomos restrict photography and put more restrictions if they see you using a "professional" camera??

Are there photography passes available?

Anyone have suggestions, or input?

Great thread!! We are going to the Med in April, and as a photographer enthusiast I'm debating the merits of taking my D750 full frame which I love or the smaller Olympus OMD E5. Does the churches and Duomos restrict photography and put more restrictions if they see you using a "professional" camera?? Are there photography passes available? Anyone have suggestions, or input?

Welcome to these Cruise Critic Boards and appreciate your good photography question. From my experiences, I do not think anybody is going to notice your having a full frame camera versus a smaller camera. Is that a Nikon D750 camera? I have a little smaller Nikon D7100. The bigger issue/challenge would be if you want to have a tripod and/or larger lighting set-ups in busy, high-traffic areas. That can create certain, understandable "safety" problems. BUT, Venice for snapping lots of pictures and angles in most public places seems to go fine and easy. That has been my experience.

Does this help some? Any added questions? Keep asking good questions!! Lots of helpful people on these CC Boards.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 208,360 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Welcome to these Cruise Critic Boards and appreciate your good photography question. From my experiences, I do not think anybody is going to notice your having a full frame camera versus a smaller camera. Is that a Nikon D750 camera? I have a little smaller Nikon D7100. The bigger issue/challenge would be if you want to have a tripod and/or larger lighting set-ups in busy, high-traffic areas. That can create certain, understandable "safety" problems. BUT, Venice for snapping lots of pictures and angles in most public places seems to go fine and easy. That has been my experience.

Does this help some? Any added questions? Keep asking good questions!! Lots of helpful people on these CC Boards.

Thanks for the reply!

It is the Nikon D750, while not huge it does represent the "Pro" label to some.....

Understood about the tripod and lighting, that is pretty much universal to houses of worship and other interior public places.

Thanks for the reply! It is the Nikon D750, while not huge it does represent the "Pro" label to some..... Understood about the tripod and lighting, that is pretty much universal to houses of worship and other interior public places.

That D750 is a nice, impressive camera. BUT, to most "average folks" in these tourism setting, it looks and seems like so many other Black SLR cameras. Full frame versus DX sizing is fairly hyper technical to about 99% of the "folks". Appreciate your follow-up and keep ask good questions. Will you have a decent wide angle zoom for these wonderful interior shots in many of Venice church and other interiors?

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 30,628 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

That D750 is a nice, impressive camera. BUT, to most "average folks" in these tourism setting, it looks and seems like so many other Black SLR cameras. Full frame versus DX sizing is fairly hyper technical to about 99% of the "folks". Appreciate your follow-up and keep ask good questions. Will you have a decent wide angle zoom for these wonderful interior shots in many of Venice church and other interiors?

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 30,628 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

Agreed! Some sort of wide angle is a necessity for me! Got the 14-24mm f/2.8 for the Nikon and the Oly 7-14 f/2.8 for the Olympus which is basically the same focal length for either camera. The Olympus 4/3 system is a bit lighter and smaller which "seems" like the more logical choice for the stops we will be doing. Arrggg! decisions, decisions.......

• 2 months later...

From several major newspapers recently, there are some interesting developments on Venice. From the London/UK Guardian on March 30, they had this headline: "500 years of the Venetian ghetto: commemoration and history" with these highlights: "On 29 March 1516, the Venetian Republic created the first ghetto on a small island in the north-western sestiere of Cannaregio. The residents were removed and replaced within a week by Jews already in Venice. This was a period in which the city sought to keep a watchful eye on all foreigners: the French, English and Spanish embassies were also relegated to Cannaregio. Jews within Venice therefore found a secure place to live despite the restrictions imposed on them, and were soon joined by others fleeing persecution in central Europe. They built two synagogues in the ghetto: the Schola Grande Tedesca and the Schola Canton. There will be a public exhibition at the Doge’s Palace from 19 June to 13 November entitled Venice, the Jews and Europe 1516-2016."

The New York Times on March 9 had a major story headlined: "500 Years of Jewish Life in Venice" with this subhead: "A journey into one of the world’s oldest Jewish ghettos, where this year a long, rich history is commemorated." This comprehensive NY Times profile has many historic details, many pictures, etc. Very interesting background and historic connections for Venice!!

Also, Travel+Leisure had a good video/story combo titled: "Five Things to Do in Venice". Worth a look if you're a Venice lover and/or having an upcoming visit there.

Full stories at:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/mar/30/500-years-venetian-ghetto-jewish-italian-history

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/travel/venice-italy-jewish-ghetto.html?_r=0

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/video-things-to-do-in-venice

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 11,361 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Delta area.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 37,565 views for these postings.

From the London/UK Daily Mail yesterday, they have this story headline: "Locals to get priority boarding on Venice's famous water buses... despite tourists paying FIVE TIMES more for their tickets" with these highlights: "Residents in the canal city pay €1.50 for a ticket - tourists charged €7.50. Mayor Luigi Brugnato has been grappling with how to keep locals happy. He says it's not about 'discriminating' but how to make Venice 'livable' "

From the London/UK Telegraph, they have this headline: "Griff Rhys Jones guide to Venice" with these highlights: "t’s not just the crumbling palaces and churches. It’s not just the soggy steps, the arching bridges (more than 400 of them), the mysterious cracked doorways and the endless handbag shops. It’s the fact that all of this is crammed into such a small space. The historic islands are about double the size of Central Park. Venice is small. The city is both a treat and a torment. So, can you crack Venice as an intermittent visitor? How do you avoid getting sucked into the unforgettable once-in-a-lifetime tourist claptrap excursion experience? Venture through largely deserted churches, boasting more space than the most expensive shops in town, to confront purity and grace and simplicity in a side chapel. " This writer has a different style and is fairly quirky. BUT, there might be some ideas and options covered worth considering, especially if you have previously been to Venice and are seeking different sights and experiences.

Full stories at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3529866/Locals-priority-boarding-Venice-s-famous-water-buses-despite-tourists-paying-FIVE-TIMES-tickets.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/veneto/venice/articles/the-griff-rhys-jones-guide-to-venice/

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 139,738 views for this posting.

• 4 weeks later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail yesterday, they have this interesting headline: "Venice to install giant aerosols that spray 'seagull repellent' in St Mark's Square".

Here are some of the story highlights: "Officials in Venice are set to install giant aerosol devices to deter hundreds of highly aggressive seagulls that are attacking tourists and locals and swooping in to steal food from restaurant tables. The brazen birds have become so menacing that waiters in popular St Mark's Square are now forced to place covers over food before carrying it to their customers. There have also been numerous incidents of greedy gulls - which have a wingspan of up to four feet - nose-diving tourists to snatch food from their hands."

This story also notes that previously they had tried playing recordings of falcon calls last summer and flew remote-controlled falcon-shaped balloons, Both efforts, however, had failed. They will use a company that has developed a "seagull repellent" to be diffused throughout the square to keep the birds at bay. Their "system" supposedly works by releasing an aerosol of oils into the air. They say that the oils are not harmful to humans but birds don't like them. Will this work and also reduce the birds' desire to reproduce, as claimed and hoped? Will the number of seagulls and pigeons will fall?

Look forward to hearing from cruise visitors this summer doing reports as to how this new system works . . . or NOT??!!

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3576841/Venice-install-giant-aerosol-sprays-stop-hundreds-menacing-seagulls-attacking-tourists-stealing-food.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 212,437 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

That seagull repellent article seems crazy. That oil is going to land somewhere.

We have heard that the seagull Union is planning on spraying a human repellent in St Marks Square. On busy days there is simply not enough room for the gulls :).

Hank

That seagull repellent article seems crazy. That oil is going to land somewhere.

Hlitner: We have heard that the seagull Union is planning on spraying a human repellent in St Marks Square. On busy days there is simply not enough room for the gulls. Hank

Agree with the very good question about where that oil goes and lands. Appreciate the super cute comment from Hank about whether the seagulls will answer back by spraying the humans that over-run St. Marks' date=' etc. It will be interesting to see if and how all of these "ideas" work in the somewhat "real world" of historic Venice.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 197,957 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

we have heard that the seagull union is planning on spraying a human repellent in st marks square. On busy days there is simply not enough room for the gulls :).

Hank

touché

Edited by dogs4fun

• 1 month later...
This link provides info on various transportation options:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-transport.htm

This link is specific to the ACTV travel card which you can use on the ACTV land buses and water buses.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-tourist-travel-cards.htm2

We bought a 2day pass for our 3 day visit. We went to Murano and Lido, as well as up and down the Grand Canal.

In the Venice for visitors link you'll also find directions for travel to the islands.

The above links were provided on another thread on this Italy board and I thought it would be good to share here. Yes, there are transportation options in Venice, but I also strongly encourage people to do lots of "walking around" in this amazing town. Exploring and getting out of the main tourist areas can very interesting and surprising.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 15,655 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 1 month later...

From the London/UK Telegraph in late July, they had this very interesting headline: "Why hapless tourists are driving Venetians mad (and blaming Google)" with these highlights: "here has been a simmering tension between Venetians and tourists, with the former blaming the latter for overcrowding and spoiling local life. Now relations between residents and holidaymakers have hit a nadir after a couple of hapless tourists attempted to drive through Venice, famously a car-free city. The tourists were travelling on British passports and nearly mowed a pedestrian down along the Grand Canal. 'We're just trying to reach our hotel which should be two kilometres from here,' one of the tourists told a local, according to La Nuova. 'Google Maps sent us this way.' "

Do you have the feeling as if this is something you could never dream of happening? Or, even claiming??

This article continues to note: "Automobiles are forbidden from Venice and there are many signs warning visitors to leave their cars on the outskirts of the city. That doesn’t stop a handful of halfwits from driving their hire cars into the historic centre each year. Little wonder, then, that the authorities are looking to restrict tourism, which campaigners say has turned Venice into a theme park. Some 30 million visitors arrive in the city annually and their mayo has signalled his intentions to impose restrictions on day-trippers, who are blamed for much of the overcrowding."

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/articles/why-hapless-tourists-are-driving-venetians-mad-and-blaming-google/

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 32,694 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.