Help Me Choose a Spring Break Cruise

BrianAlt

"Help Me Choose a Spring Break Cruise" - hey, that rhymes!

Ok, first about me and my family. My wife and I are experienced cruisers with eight cruises under our belts and two more planned for the future. Our kids have been on two cruises and they love cruising! They love doing the activities, getting involved and meeting people.

The kids have Spring Break from Saturday, April 16th through Monday, April 25th, 2011. They will be 15 (girl) and 12 (boy) at this time. We live in the NYC area. I encourage avoiding flying as it tends to escalate prices quickly, especially when considering flights for a family of four. However, we would do a cruise out of Florida if the price comparison was a wash or better. We are looking at some options, such as...

Carnival Miracle, 7-days out of Manhattan to Bermuda on 4/14/2011

Explorer of the Seas, 9-days out of Bayonne to Bermuda/Bahamas on 4/14/2011

Norwegian Gem, 7-days out of Manhattan to Bermuda on 4/16/2011

Norwegian Jewel, 7-days out of Manhattan to Bermuda on 4/17/2011

There are many more options out of Florida (no surprise). Many of those options are short (3-5 day) cruises. Would you do one of those instead and fly down to Florida? Of course a 7-day out of Florida sounds nice too!

Budget is a concern and I would like to be under $3500 for the 4 of us for cruise and airfare (I'll worry about extras and excursions later). We always have been balcony snobs, but I guess I would consider a cabin without a balcony. Anyone have any other good ideas?

Thanks in advance for all ideas and suggestions. :D

"Help Me Choose a Spring Break Cruise" - hey, that rhymes!

Ok, first about me and my family. My wife and I are experienced cruisers with eight cruises under our belts and two more planned for the future. Our kids have been on two cruises and they love cruising! They love doing the activities, getting involved and meeting people.

The kids have Spring Break from Saturday, April 16th through Monday, April 25th, 2011. They will be 15 (girl) and 12 (boy) at this time. We live in the NYC area. I encourage avoiding flying as it tends to escalate prices quickly, especially when considering flights for a family of four. However, we would do a cruise out of Florida if the price comparison was a wash or better. We are looking at some options, such as...

Carnival Miracle, 7-days out of Manhattan to Bermuda on 4/14/2011

Explorer of the Seas, 9-days out of Bayonne to Bermuda/Bahamas on 4/14/2011

Norwegian Gem, 7-days out of Manhattan to Bermuda on 4/16/2011

Norwegian Jewel, 7-days out of Manhattan to Bermuda on 4/17/2011

There are many more options out of Florida (no surprise). Many of those options are short (3-5 day) cruises. Would you do one of those instead and fly down to Florida? Of course a 7-day out of Florida sounds nice too!

Budget is a concern and I would like to be under $3500 for the 4 of us for cruise and airfare (I'll worry about extras and excursions later). We always have been balcony snobs, but I guess I would consider a cabin without a balcony. Anyone have any other good ideas?

Thanks in advance for all ideas and suggestions. :D

You say you would like to stay under $3500 but you don't say the prices of the cruises you listed. One thing is........if you are balcony snobs (and I am too) you might not be happy in anything less.

I think it depends on what you (or the kids) envision doing at your destination(s). If there is a beach involved, the Bahamas would be better, as it will be too cold to swim in Bermuda in April. EM

Exactly! Bermuda weather in late April will be comfortable (around 70...not at all hot), but not comfortable for beach swimming. Atlantic water is pretty chilly in April! Late April is the very BEGINNING of the Bermuda season.

OP - I think you'll be much better off (and your kids will be happier) doing a Caribbean cruise. The weather in April is usually great, and Caribbean water is calm and very warm....very beach-friendly! The reason your Spring Break is so late in the "season" is because Easter of 2011 is on April 24. At least you'll be rid of the party-hearty college crowd at that time, and most other kids, because typically, Spring Break is in March. I'd skip Bermuda if I were you, unless your kids are fine with ship-board activities and a covered pool. Good luck!

You say you would like to stay under $3500 but you don't say the prices of the cruises you listed. One thing is........if you are balcony snobs (and I am too) you might not be happy in anything less.

Well, the prices are easily checked. Balcony generally pushes the limit, especially on the 9-night. Looking closely, it's going to be difficult on any cruise that week. Prices jump $100-$300 on a balcony for that week.

I think it depends on what you (or the kids) envision doing at your destination(s). If there is a beach involved, the Bahamas would be better, as it will be too cold to swim in Bermuda in April. EM

Exactly! Bermuda weather in late April will be comfortable (around 70...not at all hot), but not comfortable for beach swimming. Atlantic water is pretty chilly in April! Late April is the very BEGINNING of the Bermuda season.

OP - I think you'll be much better off (and your kids will be happier) doing a Caribbean cruise. The weather in April is usually great, and Caribbean water is calm and very warm....very beach-friendly! The reason your Spring Break is so late in the "season" is because Easter of 2011 is on April 24. At least you'll be rid of the party-hearty college crowd at that time, and most other kids, because typically, Spring Break is in March. I'd skip Bermuda if I were you, unless your kids are fine with ship-board activities and a covered pool. Good luck!

I love Caribbean cruises and would certainly enjoy that the most. We've done the 5-day out of Bayonne on the Explorer to Bermuda and back. It's doable, but it's not hot by any stretch.

The main problem is the airfare. I checked and we'd be looking at around $250 pp round trip to Florida. :(

DSCN0708.jpg

Me shivering during our excursion on the Restless Native

DSCN0715.jpg

The water wasn't too bad

Yeah, it's the airfare that's always the killer! I once paid more for the airfare than for the cruise! And I was cruising solo on a 7-nighter! Understandable dilemma, but your shivering self (pictures) should convince you. Like I said before, air and cruise prices are higher because Easter 2011 is on April 24. You really don't need a balcony for a port-intensive Caribbean cruise. Your kids will love you forever! Do the Caribbean. (RCI will be more expensive.)

I would agree about Bermuda. Its a beautiful place, spent a week there a few years ago in late May and it was still a little chilly at times. If you want more beach/water activities I would suggest Bahamas or Carribean. There are things to do in Bermuda at that time, just not really the beach.

Good luck choosing!!

Archived