My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

Great wonderful details. Thank you sooo much! We are going at the end of March and I was going to take the ship excursion to Sapphire but it's only 2 1/2 hours long. I'm so glad now that I know to just take a cab there and back.

Also I didn't know about the sky lift. Is that within walking distance from the port or is that another cab ride? My hubby, daughter, and self are going so we wanted to have a day at the beach and possibly some sight seeing.

THANKS again!! Almost time for us to set sail!!!!

You will have a great time there. Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, the skytram is within walking distance from the pier. It's right behind the building that they park the ship. (Well, providing you dock at the same place we did-which I think was Charlotte Amalie Harbor).

Nice informative review & great photos, thanks. I have two 9 year old girls, they are decent swimmers but have never snorkeled. Do you think they would be OK there or would I need to be nervous about them getting scraped up by the coral if so shallow? Did you feel safe leaving your belongings on the beach. I know I can't leave anything of too much value there but my camera is not waterproof so I would have to figure out what to do with that. Is it also a nice place to swim? I'm hoping my wife will join us but she was stung by a stingray 2 years back & that was not a good experience to say the least. She stepped on a little guy by accident but he packed a punch. She is understandably a bit spooked. Did you notice any raft rentals that I can maybe get her to float on & pop her head in. Thank you in advance for any additional info.

There are different levels of coral there. Some in shallow water (which is usually up close to the beach) and then it gets deeper as you go out. We went really far out and I don't think it was more than around 5'-6' deep for where we went. There is PLENTY of area that is just the sandy bottom. So if they just wanted to swim along the sides of the coral/fish, but yet still stay on the sand in the water, they could definitely do that. There are also plenty of fish around that will just follow you everywhere. They will definitely get a kick out of that. You will see fish and coral even if you don't go over top of the coral, you just might not experience as many different kinds since a lot like to hide in the coral. Either way, it will be a great experience for them and they shouldn't have a problem.

I honestly don't recall seeing any boat type floats. There is a rental shack there with a lot of things to rent, but honestly, I was too excited with the snorkeling that I really didn't come out of the water but a few times to visit the Iguana friends roaming around the beach.

We put our bags, towels and everything right underneath one of the grape trees and didn't have any problems with anyone messing with our things. They were always within sight, but I can say, we really didn't watch it too much because we were having too much fun. I know it helps to be "friendly" with anyone around you (because most are usually there on the cruise ships as well). Just saying hi or small chit chat and people usually tend to watch out for each others items. If they recognize you, because you've spoke to them, they see where you are sitting at and your items, if they are to see anyone suspicious there, I'm sure they would say something or notify you. It seems like that's how it's always been for us.

I hope you have a wonderful time and that your wife decides to adventure into the water. It's a very beautiful site to see. Good luck.

Paradise Point now has a mini carnival everyday. Live steel pan, limbo, and mocko jumbie. The menu has also changed somewhat with lamb curry and something I don't remember, but I think it's some kind of mahimahi. I'll try to post photos soon.

Sapphire hasn't changed.:)

Going to St Thomas in April 2011 and am considering sapphire beach for the day. My DH wants to snorkle and after reading all your posts this seems to be the hot spot.:)

Has anyone been there lately? Anyone who posted they were going - did you go? How was it? I would be very interested in knowing.

Thanks so much.

Mitsugirly - Thank you so much for taking the time to review Sapphire Beach! I have been trying to figure out what would be a nice beach with snorkeling, etc. So it looks like it will be Sapphire. Now I have to read up on Paradise Point. It sounds interesting. Thanks again

Mitsugirly - Thank you so much for taking the time to review Sapphire Beach! I have been trying to figure out what would be a nice beach with snorkeling, etc. So it looks like it will be Sapphire. Now I have to read up on Paradise Point. It sounds interesting. Thanks again

Not a problem at all.

Here is a coupon for $1.00 off the famous bushwacker drink at the top of paradise point if you are interested:

w w w .virginislandsmap. com/stthomas/landactivities/paradisepoint-coupon.htm (take the spaces out)

Here's a map of where it's located compared to the dock (not as far as it looks really) just across the street.

They use to have a webpage there, but it looks like it's not working. I did find this:

w w w.carols-cruise-port-itineraries. com/StThomas-ParadisePointSkyride.htm

(remove spaces)

Thank you. So is Paradise Point basically a high peak on the island overlooking the bay, etc?

It's a high peak to look out over the cruise dock with all the ships there. I believe it's like 700 feet above sea level. Definitely not the highest peak on the island. Just a very good spot to get pictures of the water, ships, and island on that side. :)

We just spent the day at Sapphire Beach and YES there was food available. We had the option of walking down the beach a bit and getting it from the grille ourselves, or ordering and having someone bring it to us. The only problem was it took about 45-50 minutes to get the order.

Thanks to the OP for the wonderful review and pictures. I totally agree with you about how amazing this place is! It's perfect for just about anyone....my husband loved spending the day in a lounge chair while I snorkeled and played in the water. There was shade when we needed shade, and the sand was great....easy to walk on. Absolutely gorgous:)

We are leaving in 24 days to go on our first cruise..... So Excited!:D

Question about the snorkeling at Sapphire Beach. What do you do with your personal belongings if everyone in your group is snorkeling or in the water? Did you leave it on the beach.... locker.... ??? I have seen wallets that are waterproof. Any suggestions?????

I was wondering the same thing, it's just my wife and I this time. Can we swim/snorkel/take a walk, etc., without worrying too much about our belongings? Previously we've always traveled with a large group and someone was always keeping an eye on things.

We were there last week. First cruise, first time to St. Thomas. It was my favorite stop--out of St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk. I think because we had more time there, and I LOVED Sapphire Beach. The snorkelling is right off the beach; in fact, there is a sign warning people to watch the reef as it is protected and very close to shore (ie within feet of water line) To answer your question about stuff--generally, we always left someone behind to watch stuff. We were a group of four, however. With two of you, you want to snorkel together (I get a little freaked out by myself out there, but that's neither here nor there.) There were plenty of people in lounge chairs around us that I would have had no problem saying, "We're going in the water for a minute, mind if I leave my bag under your chair?" We did that on other islands, and everyone was very accommodating. There may be lockers on Sapphire somewhere, but if not, just ask some nice couple. Also, we went to Coki Beach earlier in the day, which was nice, but Sapphire was nicer in that the habitat of the fish and coral was more natural. At Coki, the aquarium next door feeds the fish, so you'll see more, but they are all of about 2 species and it feels forced. Also! The $2 bus!! have you looked into that? I'm about to find that thread and post, but basically, we took the local bus to/from downtown for $2 person each way out to beaches and then back to Crown Point, where our ship was docked. So much better than the $10-11 each way/pp fare charged by taxis. And fun, too! We talked to lots of local people, who were more than helpful when we needed advice and directions. I thought St. Thomas to be the friendliest place we visited, but really, everyone we met throughout the cruise was lovely. So, long answer! Have a great time! Oh, and take the walk out to Pettykill Point (I know I'm butchering the spelling--it is something like that. Off to the right of Sapphire.) Take your camera. The views are amazing and beautiful.

Were there washroom facilities?

Yes, at Sapphire there is a public restroom at the Dive Shop area. We all used it, even though we came in from outside. No problem. To the questions about food, there is at least one place with snack bar type stuff--off to the right as you look at the beach, my boys got burgers and fries and sodas. We saw the yellow/white umbrellas and assumed correctly that food was there! $10 burgers, so don't be shocked. The view: priceless! :)

rnforcollegefees - thank you so much! I've read about the $2.00 buses and was considering it. We are going into Havensight (I think) and am not quite sure where to catch the bus. Also, did it let you off at Sapphire or within walking distance? How about where to get back on for the return trip to town? Thanks

We were there last week. First cruise, first time to St. Thomas. It was my favorite stop--out of St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk. I think because we had more time there, and I LOVED Sapphire Beach. The snorkelling is right off the beach; in fact, there is a sign warning people to watch the reef as it is protected and very close to shore (ie within feet of water line) To answer your question about stuff--generally, we always left someone behind to watch stuff. We were a group of four, however. With two of you, you want to snorkel together (I get a little freaked out by myself out there, but that's neither here nor there.) There were plenty of people in lounge chairs around us that I would have had no problem saying, "We're going in the water for a minute, mind if I leave my bag under your chair?" We did that on other islands, and everyone was very accommodating. There may be lockers on Sapphire somewhere, but if not, just ask some nice couple. Also, we went to Coki Beach earlier in the day, which was nice, but Sapphire was nicer in that the habitat of the fish and coral was more natural. At Coki, the aquarium next door feeds the fish, so you'll see more, but they are all of about 2 species and it feels forced. Also! The $2 bus!! have you looked into that? I'm about to find that thread and post, but basically, we took the local bus to/from downtown for $2 person each way out to beaches and then back to Crown Point, where our ship was docked. So much better than the $10-11 each way/pp fare charged by taxis. And fun, too! We talked to lots of local people, who were more than helpful when we needed advice and directions. I thought St. Thomas to be the friendliest place we visited, but really, everyone we met throughout the cruise was lovely. So, long answer! Have a great time! Oh, and take the walk out to Pettykill Point (I know I'm butchering the spelling--it is something like that. Off to the right of Sapphire.) Take your camera. The views are amazing and beautiful.

Thanks for all of the info..... so excited! We are down to 23 days. So Pettykill Point is close to Sapphire Beach?