My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

It is my understanding that the watersports are where they marina is located? If so, was it an easy walk from where you took the picture? Thanks!

I never tried to go over there. I just know that it is there. I did not see a path. Maybe someone else can help out here.

I also did not see jetskies or any other water craft whatsoever out in front of the beach either time we were there. I think they are kept more in the area where you see the sails in the picture.

Froufie, after looking at Mitsugirly's beautiful pix, I got intimidated! I'm going to try to take more pictures this weekend to see if I can do better!

The old bar hasn't re-opened, though there are rumors that it will be. No shops, either, except for the dive shop.

If you go to the current food/bar and walk on the sidewalk next to it going away from the beach, you'll be able to see the marina where you can rent jet skis. It's about a block or two walk.

We were at Sapphire Beach this past week. It was beautiful as always and good snorkeling. There was a Tiki Bar and also a guy and a girl taking drink and food orders on the beach to deliver it back to you. Yes, the bathrooms are not great but not the worst I have ever seen either. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could not have a great time here.

Thanks for the report!

We stayed on Sapphire over Easter and it is a nice view of STJ and Tortola. It is a nice beach but not anywhere as nice as those of the southern Caribbean, or even the BVI. Wait until you see those!

Paradise Point is something we would hit as our last stop to enjoy, they probably don't see many folks there in the early AM. You can also take a taxi there but of course you had already bought the tram tickets for a couple $$ less on the ship. The service is slow here and elsewhere in the island (island time?), but the staff is very friendly and if you're in a hurry just politely let them know that and they will bend over backwards.

The bird show had moved, glad to hear it's back. That is a very funny show!

To answer some of the questions on Sapphire, the rocky area is in front of bldgs D & E, while the swimming area is in front of A & B. The seagrass is to the left of the dive center and that's where you will find the turtles.

The lbldgs behind the marila are the Sapphire VIllage, and the whitish bldgs to the north of the dive center are Crystal Cove, 2 separate resorts. The Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina is the resort on the water and is a great place to stay. If you return there to stay rent directly from an owner as some condo units are not remodeled. And Sapphire doesn't currently have a beach bar and restaurant and therefore no nice changing/bath rooms. Note that Coki is a very nice beach (actually nicer than Sapphire) but because of that it does get busier. But there are more food/drink vendors as well as facilities there.

Thanks again for the report!

We were at Sapphire Beach this past week. It was beautiful as always and good snorkeling. There was a Tiki Bar and also a guy and a girl taking drink and food orders on the beach to deliver it back to you. Yes, the bathrooms are not great but not the worst I have ever seen either. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could not have a great time here.

Agreed doglady - just a beautiful spot with a great beach and beautiful water and views. The service there is very good and the facilities are fine. Some folks are looking for a 5-star experience for free

Was at Sapphire last week 9-28-2011 we had a great day and didn't want to leave

Taxi $10 per person

I got a Bucket of 6 beers in ice for $16 from a small vendor on the beach not the Bar at the Condos they cost $20

Sapphire is a very nice Beach

the Best thing about Sapphire (besides the Sapphire water color) is the VIEWS - Views of St John and British Virgin Islands very nice

My Wife and I do Like Emerald Beach better FOR THE BEACH and Swimming

both are very beautiful

Sapphire for the Views

Emerald for the Beach and swimming/Water

will try Coki or another beach next visit maybe Secret Harbor ?

Megans does not really empress me from views of others

Will post some pics later:)

FYI are Taxi driver gave us a free tour on the way back he took the back side of the Island and stopped around 3-4 times and let us take pics.

Edited by S.Jersey Adventure

Methinks you will find Coki to have the softest sand and prettiest water in STT but it's all a matter of preference. The view of STJ and Tortola from Sapphire is beautiful from a condo balcony in bldg D.

But for really gorgeous beaches head to Barbados or Jamaica or the Riviera Maya or even the BVI, there is always another that takes your breath away!

Are cruise had stops at

- Half Moon Cay - Very nice private Island beach is very very nice great for kids - is stays shallow hundreds of feet out and its big

- St Thomas

- Puerto Rico

- Grand Turk - nice beach right off the boat

I'm looking to maybe do a trip out of SAN JUAN with stops at

St. Thomas | Barbados | St. Lucia | St. Kitts | St. Maarten,

Carnival Victory 7 night 5 stops in 7 days Sea Days on Carnival gets old fast or did on the Valor last week

or I haven't done a Western Carib yet but not sure the best stops for beaches

also being from NJ, is Saphire the typical jersey beach? we will be in st. thomas next month and planned on going there. we are not looking for anything hi end. we don't really snorkle. if anything, just put on the mask. just looking for a nice CLEAN beach, clear water, drinks and maybe a bite to eat.

I'm not really surprised you didn't like it. I have read some of your beach reports and I realize you enjoy higher-end facilities and services, and honestly, Sapphire would not meet those criteria. However, my family really enjoyed it.

As far as taxis go, since St. Martin/St. Thomas operate their taxis as shuttle services, and do not seem oriented towards customer service, I do not feel the need to tip as they are not handling my luggage. (And I am most definitely a tipper)

Facilities, yes, the lobby looks 'under construction/renovation' but I was trying to paint a picture rather than anything else (ie suggest improvements are imminently at hand or even in progress). This did not bother us once we got onto the beach because we expected it to look like that.

I thought the 'sketchy' guys at the rental were really nice, lol.

Our bar server (the girl from NY?) was really helpful. She did tell us to order early as things get backed up, and we did. We had no problems getting drinks and food and she stopped back several times.

The woman's bathroom was fine but as I noted, no TP or soap so come prepared. I didn't go into the mens' room :o

As mistugirly noted, there are lots of sandy areas of beach. Do you mean the shells at the surf's edge? Otherwise I don't understand the rocky entrance part.

We had 1 or 2 tour groups come onto the beach during our stay but it was empty to begin with so it didn't affect us. We had plenty of beach real estate (and I'm from NJ so assertive about that lol) and more than enough room to swim unimpeded.

I'm glad you posted your review because it does provide the cruiser looking for a higher-end beach break some perspective. My kids all voted this their favorite part of the cruise, so everyone's experience is different.

either beach

Emerald beach is closer to CROWN point dock

Sapphire is closer to Havensick

Emerald is better for swimming and is bigger

Sapphire better for Snorkel since it has more seagrass and coral but still room to swim

both beaches have $16 buckets

Emerald has the Beachcomber Motel bar on the Beach also there is a Best Western down the beach

I will post some pics later or find my past post with pics of Emerald

google both to see pics and reviews

http://www.emeraldbeach.com

http://cruiseweb.com/blog/2010/05/beautiful-beaches-family-fun

http://www.google.com/search?q=emerald+beach+st+thomas&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGLL_enUS407US408&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=QDWLTpDFBIr10gGZkIXUBA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CCUQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=894

Man there is a ton of misinformation in this thread - WOW!

Sapphire is one of the top 3 beaches on STT. We stayed at the resort (Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina) over Easter following a week on Tortola and it's a great place to spend a week. St Thomas is very "Americanized" and developed compared to the BVI islands but still a good place to be before flying home. If you're spending a few days there STJ and JVD are close by to visit.

Sapphire offers a sandy swimming beach, a reef for snorkeling, and a sea grass area where turtles and rays are often spotted. But it is also a great beach to just sit and stare at the water because of the beautiful colors (definitely not NJ). And you have a beautiful view of St John and Tortola. We loved sitting on the balcony and looking at the islands. The dive center rents lounges, floats and snorkel equip. and there are servers waiting on you for drinks and some food. The Banana Cabana is a small outdoor grill serving good burgers and mahi sandwiches (and cold beer). There's a restaurant in the Sapphire Village up the hill behind the marina.

The only negative is the beach bar and restaurant are closed, and the restrooms are not up to some folks standards. But they're not that bad and it s a beautiful spot to spend the day. Most cruisers go to Magens and Coki (coki is my favorite when not crowded), Sapphire doesn't get quite as crowded and there is room to relax.

So for a beach day head for Sapphire if you want less crowded, and Coki if you want more people, activity and vendors. And Magens is very pretty, you just have to walk a bit to get away from the throng.

Sapphire is one of the top 3 beaches on STT. We stayed at the resort (Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina) over Easter following a week on Tortola and it's a great place to spend a week. St Thomas is very "Americanized" and developed compared to the BVI islands but still a good place to be before flying home. If you're spending a few days there STJ and JVD are close by to visit.

Sapphire offers a sandy swimming beach, a reef for snorkeling, and a sea grass area where turtles and rays are often spotted. But it is also a great beach to just sit and stare at the water because of the beautiful colors (definitely not NJ). And you have a beautiful view of St John and Tortola. We loved sitting on the balcony and looking at the islands. The dive center rents lounges, floats and snorkel equip. and there are servers waiting on you for drinks and some food. The Banana Cabana is a small outdoor grill serving good burgers and mahi sandwiches (and cold beer). There's a restaurant in the Sapphire Village up the hill behind the marina.

The only negative is the beach bar and restaurant are closed, and the restrooms are not up to some folks standards. But they're not that bad and it s a beautiful spot to spend the day. Most cruisers go to Magens and Coki (coki is my favorite when not crowded), Sapphire doesn't get quite as crowded and there is room to relax.

So for a beach day head for Sapphire if you want less crowded, and Coki if you want more people, activity and vendors. And Magens is very pretty, you just have to walk a bit to get away from the throng.

Maybe we shouldn't be telling them how great Sapphire Beach is....we don't want my favorite beach to get too crowded!:eek:

You may be confusing difference of opinion with misinformation....there are many that simply don't agree with your opinion....take a look at some recent "not so great reviews" on Trip Advisor of Sapphire Beach Resort.

“Don't count on hot water at this "Resort"”

Reviewed September 27, 2011

Came to St Thomas for niece's wedding and stayed at this resort. Discovered on our first morning that we had NO HOT WATER for showers and the staff did not seem to care. Had to call numerous times during our busy family vacation to have a repairman finally show up on day 5 and flip a breaker. Then we could get about a minute of hot water before it would go out again. He came back again (Day 6) and showed me how to flip it myself!! Really fun exercise getting in and out of shower to go to utility closet and flip breaker so I could get another minute of warm water before it went out again! It NEVER GOT FIXED. They didn't care. Customer service staff are rude!

“Don't stay here”

Reviewed August 7, 2011

3people found this review helpful

Honestly, don't stay here. There wasn't a single restaurant or snack bar open. The place looks like a hurricane hit it and maybe it did. Everything is tattered and torn. It is rusty, boarded up, and looks like the land that time forgot. The people working there are surly at best. The pictures of the resort online are totally taken from a different time or maybe a different place.

“very disappointed with villa and service at the dive shop(big joke)”

Reviewed May 6, 2011

we originally were booked at Crystal Cove and stayed there last year. However, when we went to check in at the sapphire beach desk, we waited at least 45 minutes while they told us they did not have our reservation. When i produced our confirmation, it took another 30 minutes for them to come give us a key with no explanation. We started to leave when we knew we had to have a pass to get into gate at crystal cove and had to go back to desk where we were told that no we had been up-graded to sapphire beach, We then tried to find our room and there was no such number as on our key. We returned again to the desk and were told that it was A-301 not A-3.10 which was written on the key. We walked into villa to find massive dark stains in the tiles in the entry way and in both bathrooms. There were also no washer/dryers as in the units in Crystal cove and no outside grill. WE also found a very old microwave and stove. The freezer part of the refrigerator leaked onto our pizza box the first night and ruined our food, so we had to move all our food to the right side only.

When we went to the beach the first day to get chairs, we were told very rudely by Gilligan(which by the way is not is real name) that we were not in the book and would need to pay $7.00 per person per chair. Again,we were supposed to be at Crystal Cove where there is a nice lady who watches chairs and they are free if you are staying there. We had to return to the front desk to ask why we would have to pay for chairs when it was included in our original rental. Then they had to walk down to tell them to let us have chairs in which the beach guys were still very rude and told us there are two chairs under the tree already which when we got to the chairs, they had bird poop all over them. Everyday was the same with the beach guys and the chairs. I'm sorry but we paid good money for a vacation and did not get what we paid for and did not deserve the rude treatment. NO WONDER. The entire time we were there(9 days) was horrible and not like the previous year at all. Sapphire beach and the staff at the dive shop are the worst/rudest people with no customer service skills that we have encountered in a long while. We have been to St. thomas 5x and have heard these stories by other people but this was the first for us. NEVER AGAIN. There are lots of other caribbean islands that treat customers the right way. The dive shop would not stay open in the states the way they treat people.

“Dump! A Ruin In The Making!”

Reviewed April 18, 2011

Restaurant, outdoor bar and part of beach club entrance boarded up. This is what happens when owners and developers are in litigation in court. In dire need of maintainance and they still have the balls to show a brochure with all the amenities. The view and beach is beautiful but that's it.

“Don't stay here”

Reviewed March 12, 2011

4people found this review helpful

This hotel was in such disrepair that we left the day after we arrived. The room was dirty and not secure. The kitchen appliances did not work. The water in the bathrooms could not be regulated. The tv remotes did not work. The ceiling fan did not work. The safe in the room did not close. The mattress was hard as a rock. The ironing board actually had a huge hole in the middle of it. There were no hangers in the closets. The hotel lost power while we were there and the cable tv did not come back on ever. There was no restaurant. No bar. To get any food or drink you had to walk a mile away or take a cab. The beach was filled with seaweed. When we checked out we told them that we had to leave because it was unfit for us to stay in. They did not give us an apology or a refund of any of our vacation. We were able to get a room at the Marriot and had to pay out of pocket but it was worth it. Don't stay at the Sapphire!

“Nice location, mediocre facilities, terrible service”

Reviewed June 2, 2011

Sapphire Beach Resort has a beautiful beach, with good snorkeling. The pool is clean and very nice. The rooms are truly beach-front, with a fantastic view of Pillsbury Sound. Evenings were quiet. And that about completes the good news.

Service at this resort is awful. The front desk staff ignored us as long as possible at check-in, then asked us what we wanted -- as if 4 new people with luggage did not have an obvious desire to check in. They were generally unable to help us with whatever we needed. An extra blanket? "Housekeeping is closed, come back tomorrow." Complimentary snorkling equipment? "We're all out, you'll need to rent some at the dive shop" ($5/person for an hour).

After our first night we found an abundance of rodent droppings on the floor of our room and on top of the bed. A little investigation showed that there was a mouse (or more likely, mice) living inside the bed's box spring. The front desk staff was uninterested in the problem, and we had to insist -- firmly -- that they move us. For the rest of our visit, it was difficult to get beach chairs or other equipment, since the front desk never figured out what room they had put us into. We tried to work with one staff member to fix the paperwork, only to be told repeatedly that "you're not checked in". The problem was never resolved, and we had to explain the room-moving situation practically every day.

Our first room was clean and well-furnished, though the furniture was a bit worn. The second room was also clean and reasonably furnished, but the patio door handles and locks had rusted out and been replaced with a haphazard improvised latch. There were also several lights that did not work. It appears that the rooms are owned as condos or timeshares and re-rented to visitors, so each room is likely to be different in furnishings and quality. This could make it very difficult to know what to expect when staying here. Generally, maintenance conditions at the resort are mediocre. The building exteriors display peeling paint and rust streaks, and while the pool itself is quite nice, the snack bar at the pool is boarded up with plywood and scraps of tattered canvas flap from the mostly-stripped roof above. There are no restrooms at the pool.

Housekeeping was careless and haphazard. Maid service came to the room apparently when they felt like it, which worked out to be approximately every other day, without being predictable enough that we could rely on it. When housekeeping did come, sometimes they would make up the pull-out beds, and sometimes they wouldn't. At least we got clean towels every couple of days.

Complimentary breakfast at the Banana Cabana snack stand was unimpressive. It generally consisted of damp bagels, packaged muffins, and fruit that was often over-ripe and spoiling. Staff at the Banana Cabana continued the poor trend, being generally uninviting and not speaking unless spoken to -- and sometimes not then. The breakfast staff required a coupon, which the front desk seemingly did not understand. We were not offered breakfast coupons at check-in, and had to go back and explain to the desk staff how their own breakfast worked in order to get coupons.

The restaurant(s) at the resort are closed and boarded up, and by the look of it, they've been that way for some time. There is a restaurant available in the condo section of the property, the Sapphire Bar and Grill. The service staff there was friendly, but the food was poor. Burgers were charred and buns were stale and fell apart while eating. My daughter ordered a french dip sandwich, and rather than the typical shaved roast beef got a sandwich of chunks of chewy, fatty beef. When we sent it back and asked for a burger instead, the cook complained (loudly enough for the entire restaurant to hear) about "stupid people who've never eaten anywhere except f#%&ing McDonalds and don't know sh#$ about good food". Call me old-fashioned, but I think it's pretty poor practice to insult your customers to their face.

As there are no other restaurants within walking distance, we generally took a cab to nearby Red Hook for dinner. While we found several good restaurants (Coco Blue and Fish Tales stand out), the cab fare was $4/person each way, adding an extra $40 a night to our costs. Red Hook looks like a 15-minute walk on the map, but the roads have no shoulders and we were advised that we might be robbed walking the distance after dark.

I would certainly not stay at this resort again, nor would I risk a trip to Point Pleasant or other properties under Antilles Resorts management. Only a few good day trip outings saved this vacation from being a total bust.

“Think Twice!”

Reviewed April 24, 2011

1person found this review helpful

I am a travel agent, who stopped in St Thomas on a cruise. I went to Sapphire beach to enjoyed the day and also to check out the hotel. I was very surprised how run down it was. But.. the beach, and view might make up for it. Just make sure your expectations are low.

“Very run down and in need of a make-over”

Reviewed July 18, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for one night prior to departing on our sailing charter at the marina. Our room was in very poor condition. The grounds were a mess and there was nothing open for food or drinks after 4 or 5pm! Breakfast was a joke. Of course the beach and location are amazing. It is a shame to see such a potentially great property in such bad shape. Our charter captain said that there is some bitterness between owners of the property which is resulting in a lack of funding for upkeep. Needless to say we were very happy that we were only staying one night!

So many of the above mentioned reviews are for the villas and resort. I would not choose the resort as my first choice to stay on the island, but the BEACH (which is the subject of this thread) is wonderful. Of course I am looking for a quiet, relaxing beach experience with good snorkeling, wonderful views, clear blue water, a burger, a cold drink and natural shade. If you want an active beach, with big waves, loud music, modern facilities and a party atmosphere Sapphire Beach is not for you.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

So many of the above mentioned reviews are for the villas and resort. I would not choose the resort as my first choice to stay on the island, but the BEACH (which is the subject of this thread) is wonderful. Of course I am looking for a quiet, relaxing beach experience with good snorkeling, wonderful views, clear blue water, a burger, a cold drink and natural shade. If you want an active beach, with big waves, loud music, modern facilities and a party atmosphere Sapphire Beach is not for you.

I agree 100%, when only going to a beach for a day I do not have to have reviews of resorts unless I am paying that hotel to use for the day.

Baja you have no clue, but thanks for your input for what it's worth.

We stayed there and yes it is a great spot and we loved our condo and the beach and the pool. You bring more misinformation to the discussion and I have to ask why? To confuse more people? What is your goal here???

When you book a condo you do some research. Or you deal with the consequences. The problem though is many of your references are not to the SBR&M and you have no clue do you. Read

When you do stay at SBR&M post a report. And check TA to learn something about the east end!

LOL

I agree 100%, when only going to a beach for a day I do not have to have reviews of resorts unless I am paying that hotel to use for the day.

The resort is great, but you are right, if you aren't stsying there all you care about is the service ad beach/snoreling. But the Sapphire resort is a great place to stay, some folks just don't know enough to look ahead when booking their hard earned $$$.

Baja you have no clue, but thanks for your input for what it's worth.

We stayed there and yes it is a great spot and we loved our condo and the beach and the pool. You bring more misinformation to the discussion and I have to ask why? To confuse more people? What is your goal here???

When you book a condo you do some research. Or you deal with the consequences. The problem though is many of your references are not to the SBR&M and you have no clue do you. Read

When you do stay at SBR&M post a report. And check TA to learn something about the east end!

LOL

Again...you confuse opinion with misinformation. I have been to Sapphire and walked the property of SBR.....I seriously wouldn't "STAY" at that resort for free.....honestly...no exaggeration.....also seems like I am not alone in that opinion with some of the reviews from Trip Advisor.

BTW....I find it very interesting when even local tour companies stop going to a place due to poor facilities.....Godfrey Tours now included this message right on the front page of their web-site:

"Sapphire Beach is open, but the restaurant and bar on the beach have been closed for a long time. Restrooms are not maintained, dirty and in bad condition. Godfrey Tours will not take any guest to Sapphire Beach until this problem is solved".

Steve Your opinion just doesn't make sense because the vast majority of SBRM reviews are very positive. You're referring to bad reviews of the resort itself from folks who didn't do any research and were unhappy with their choices.:rolleyes:

They rented outdated condo units directly from the resort, as I said you need to do your homework and rent from private owners. Some units have not been updated, and these owners are on a list for all to see (who do their homework that is). This is a condo resort and it is quite beautiful so I just don't understand how you can make these statements. Everyone is different but...

And many people stay at the Sapphire Village and Crystal Cove which share the same bay and they think they stayed at the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina and write negative reports about the SBRM which adds even more confusion! Between that problem and the confusion here it's no wonder people are screwed up.

Yes the facilities are not what they were because of a long-lasting battle between the condo assn and the property owner. But you're blowing this out of proportion and referencing other blown-out posts. If you want a beautiful changing room and bathroom take a look at the Ritz Carlton or a similar property down the road. Most folks can deal with minor inconviences to enjoy a beautiful cove.

Enjoy yourself somehow, somewhere, Sapphire will be that much quieter for us after people read this thread...;)

Edited by blue_water