Noise from above in Penhouse Suites?

lakeboji

Deck runners? Ugh. What was the itinerary?

Exactly. The most annoying aspect of the suite/location was the squeaking ceiling. The ceiling had nothing to do with the deck runners (?) . The squeaking happened before the deck running began. There is absolutely nothing to do for (pre)teens on board except for a ping pong table that Oceania made sure was stopped by 9pm. Other than the deck running, the kids were not annoying. This was a very port intensive itinerary.

We have been in cabins 8021 and 8025 on R-boats belonging to other lines and we only rarely had any noise. If there was any it usually was a child running.

It was also noisy when they evacuated all of us at 6 AM because the medivac helicopter coming for a passenger was going to hover over our cabin - but that's another story that we hope won't happen to you!

A PH on an R-boat is worth a little noise - wonderful cabins.

We have been in cabins 8021 and 8025 on R-boats belonging to other lines and we only rarely had any noise. If there was any it usually was a child running.

It was also noisy when they evacuated all of us at 6 AM because the medivac helicopter coming for a passenger was going to hover over our cabin - but that's another story that we hope won't happen to you!

A PH on an R-boat is worth a little noise - wonderful cabins.

The PH on Oceania is the only cabin, even if you have to put up with a little noise. Those that say that they do not hear any noise are very tolerant.

Ok, just back now.

There was some noise in the cabin (8046) although nothing overly loud and I can't honestly say that it woke me up. Most of the noise comes through the glass doors to the balcony so if your neighbours are early risers and drag their deck chairs you will definitely hear that along with the woosh of the bathroom system.

There was an odd hammering noise that I heard a couple of times in the early morning - no idea where that came from or what it was.

No noise from the hallway or from the facilities above.

I would not hesitate to stay in this room again.

Won't help you today but we are in 8046 starting in less than 2 weeks as the upgrade gods (and our world class TA) smiled down upon us :D and I'll post back here to let you know.

I am also a light sleeper and had wondered about plumbing noises as well - I'm hoping that won't be the case and I have to assume (am assuming) that if it was an issue we'd have heard about it here already. If you search 8046 you come up with a blank.

Ok, just back now.

There was some noise in the cabin (8046) although nothing overly loud and I can't honestly say that it woke me up. Most of the noise comes through the glass doors to the balcony so if your neighbours are early risers and drag their deck chairs you will definitely hear that along with the woosh of the bathroom system.

There was an odd hammering noise that I heard a couple of times in the early morning - no idea where that came from or what it was.

No noise from the hallway or from the facilities above.

I would not hesitate to stay in this room again.

Thank you for reporting back. That's good to know. Would you say the same about neighboring cabins?

Last December sailed on Insignia, Cabin 8055, Ph2-Penthouse Suite which was below Terrace Restaurant. We heard noises like a thundering train (believe it was the rolling of trolleys of dishes and/or buckets on wheels). Our next door neighbours also heard. When complained were told they had never had complaint about noise in that suite (yeah!@!??). In future will only book staterooms with other staterooms and/or quiet areas above.

Last December sailed on Insignia, Cabin 8055, Ph2-Penthouse Suite which was below Terrace Restaurant. We heard noises like a thundering train (believe it was the rolling of trolleys of dishes and/or buckets on wheels). Our next door neighbours also heard. When complained were told they had never had complaint about noise in that suite (yeah!@!??). In future will only book staterooms with other staterooms and/or quiet areas above.

After a few days of this rolling thunder noise, we realized it was the automatic doors to terrace. We asked our butler what the noise was and he had no clue. We got used to it though.

After a few days of this rolling thunder noise, we realized it was the automatic doors to terrace. We asked our butler what the noise was and he had no clue. We got used to it though.

Since those Terrace doors are on the starboard side of the ship, a PH on the port side will not get that kind of noise.

We were in 8060 in July and loved the location! It was very quiet and we never heard anything from above - nor did we hear anything from the adjoining staterooms.

There are automatic doors on both sides of the Terrace as far as I can recall.

Since those Terrace doors are on the starboard side of the ship, a PH on the port side will not get that kind of noise.

We were in 8060 in July and loved the location! It was very quiet and we never heard anything from above - nor did we hear anything from the adjoining staterooms.

There are sliding doors on both sides. We were in 8063

There are sliding doors on both sides. We were in 8063

Ah, we must be talking about the sliding doors to the open-air part of Terraces. Yes, those are on both sides. I thought we were talking about the door from Terraces to the Waves and the pool deck . . . maybe that one isn't sliding.

Anyway, unless weather is inclement, aren't those doors to the outside area kept open during dining hours? That's my recollection.

Still, my experience in a port side PH in the aft area of the ship was that it was very quiet and we didn't hear any overhead noises.

Ah, we must be talking about the sliding doors to the open-air part of Terraces. Yes, those are on both sides. I thought we were talking about the door from Terraces to the Waves and the pool deck . . . maybe that one isn't sliding.

Anyway, unless weather is inclement, aren't those doors to the outside area kept open during dining hours? That's my recollection.

Still, my experience in a port side PH in the aft area of the ship was that it was very quiet and we didn't hear any overhead noises.

I can't remember those doors remaining open during dining. I could be wrong though.

In our experience the doors on port side entering the Terrace (near bar) are open during dining hours the Starboard side (going to Waves) may or may not be propped open just depends on the staff I think

Lyn

In our experience the doors on port side entering the Terrace (near bar) are open during dining hours the Starboard side (going to Waves) may or may not be propped open just depends on the staff I think

Lyn

I meant the slding doors leading outside, have they ever been kept open?

On our last cruise there was a fair amount of wind, so the doors could not be left open or it formed a wind tunnel through Terrace. Maybe they can be left open in quieter times.

On the Norway cruise they locked the doors & put tables in front of them, much too cold & windy to eat out there anyway.

I think it depends on the area the ship is in whether they leave them open or closed

Lyn

Completely agree with you.

I was in 8057 on Insignia in Nov 2008, and heard this noise like bucket on wheels, sometimes at 11pm, sometimes midnight. I believe it was kitchen cleaning. Wouldn't bother people who's already sound asleep, but for someone who's in the state of falling asleep,that could be rather disruptive.

The rest of the time, the cabin was very quiet.

I find myself surprised by these comments because we were in 8057 on Regatta back in February 2003 and heard no such noises. In fact, we were on a b2b and due to move into a PH1 (more midships) for the second leg but it was easier to stay where we were.

Maybe the difference is that there have been changes since then, but we sure didn't hear any noise like you are describing.

Mura

Archived