Zuiderdams Pinnacle Grill - Food Quality??

cruisecrasy

I just returned from the Zuiderdam on September 28th, 2010. Two friends and I took a 3-day Pacific Coastal Cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco. It was my first experience with Holland America. I usually cruise with Celebrity, and always dine in one of the Celebrity specialty restaurants, at least once and more often, several times per cruise.

To provide a little more background:

One of my cruising companions had cruised twice before on Holland America ships, once being on the Zuiderdam. My other friend had only cruised once before, many years ago, on a Royal Carribbean ship. All three of us are in our late 50's, and we are all lucky enough to have travelled a lot, together with our husbands. I would have to say that we are "foodies" as we all have dined in many excellent restaurants around the world, and all three of us are adventurous cooks who have attended cooking classes together for 25 years. Two of us have attended cooking school in Tuscany.

With respect to dining at Zuiderdam's Pinnacle Grill: I would have to say that our experience at the Pinnacle Grill was uneven.

I had made reservations several months ago for the Sunday evening, Day 2 of our cruise. We were very pleased with the look of the room, and thought that the $20 was a very fair upcharge for specialty dining.

Overall, despite what I have to say below, we enjoyed our dinner there, and would dine at the Pinnacle Grill on any subsequent Holland America cruise.

Unfortunately, we do have several critcisms. One of the most obvious, to our minds, was that the management in the PG just didn’t seem to have any sense of what good service involves. Some examples:

• We weren’t acknowledged when we arrived, and it was a full five minutes before anyone even made eye contact with us, although there were two people at the front desk.
  • I ordered a glass of Pinot Grigio when I sat down, and it took three follow-up requests and 32 minutes to get the wine. When I received the wine, it was barely cool.
  • Having read so many positive comments about the dish here on CC, we ordered a single serving of the Lobster Macaroni and Cheese to share, and specifically asked that it be served after our appetizers, and before our main course. When our dinners arrived but the Lobster Macaroni had not appeared, there was no apology when we brought it to the waiters' attention (there were two waiters delivering our main courses). They offered to hold our steaks for us while they served the macaroni, but we felt that was really a ridiculous suggestion. I cannot imagine "holding" three medium-rare steaks. We told them to go ahead and serve the dinners that they were holding in their hands, and to bring the macaroni as well. The macaroni finally arrived about 20 minutes later, when we had all but finished our dinners, so I don’t really think it had been ordered earlier. We each took two bites, but really, the macaroni was not appetizing. No one checked to see why we hadn’t eaten the macaroni, and no one offered to remove the $10 surcharge from our bill, even though the macaroni hadn’t arrived until the end of our meal, and we really didn't eat any of it beyond a taste.
  • There was a nasty argument taking place near us, between the Maitre d’ and two guests who were very angry. They had apparently made (and pre-paid) a reservation for a table of eight, two months before the cruise, and were now being told that the eight diners had to sit separately in two tables of four. The eight had apparently been given two separate tables, one behind each other, and the diners wanted to know why these two tables couldn’t be turned 90 degrees and moved together, so that all eight diners could sit at one table. The Maitre d’ kept repeating, “it is not our policy to move tables”. The argument went on at length, with the male guest getting increasingly frustrated. No effort was made by the Maitre d’ to move the argument to a more private area. This whole debacle took place a few feet from our table, which was very distracting, and I would have thought, embarrassing for the guests.
  • There was a real language problem with our main server. She was a lovely young woman, but her accent was so heavy that we had to ask her to repeat herself time and again, which was embarrassing for her and for us.
  • No one checked at any time to see if we were enjoying any of our courses.

Some specific comments on what we ordered:

Amuse Bouche (courtesy of the Chef):

Mushroom Cappucino, served in a demitasse, was delightful. Full of flavour, with a great creamy consistency.

Appetizers:

Dungeness Crab Cakes with Spiral Shaved Cucumber and Sweet Chili Sauce (2)

The crabcakes were very good, and were almost completely made of crab, with very little filler. The presentation was very pretty.

I can't remember what my third companion finally ordered for an appetizer, but I recall that she enjoyed it :o.

Main Course:

Land and Sea (aka Surf and Turf) on Whipped Potatoes with Two Sauces (2)

The Filet Mignon was very tender and perfectly cooked to a medium rare, but unfortunately was almost tasteless. The steak was quite a large portion. The two jumbo prawns were huge (probably 9-12’s) and were excellent, both in terms of preparation and flavour. However, the plate was awash with two sauces, both of which were tasteless. I don’t remember what the sauces were called. One was a grey-brown peppercorn sauce, and the other was a cream sauce of some type. There was almost no place on the plate to avoid the sauces. The potatoes were very lumpy and too salty.

Rib Eye Steak with Bearnaise Sauce: tender and perfectly cooked. My friend enjoyed the Bearnaise Sauce, which she had served on the side.

Asparagus with Bearnaise Sauce: We all ordered the asparagus, served crispy-tender, which is the way I prefer it. To my taste, the sauce was oily, flavourless and unappealing. Others at the table enjoyed it.

Lobster Macaroni and Cheese:

The lobster macaroni and cheese was a huge disappointment. Contrary to what we had requested, the lobster macaroni share-plate was served when we were three-quarters through our main course, which undoubtedly affected how we perceived the dish, as I’m sure our taste buds were somewhat sated at that point, particularly for delicate flavours. On the whole, we all found the macaroni to be tasteless. There was no real lobster flavour and the sauce had no character whatsoever. The creaminess that you would expect from mascarpone was missing. There was very little actual lobster in the dish—when 3/4ths of the dish was served to the three of us, only one person received any lobster at all, and it was a tiny piece. We ate two bites each of the concoction, and gave up on the dish as a poor expenditure of calories. ;)

There is a surcharge of $10.00 if you order an additional entrée. In our case, we all felt that the lobster macaroni was totally not worth the extra fee.

Dessert:

Not So Classic Baked Alaska: The flamed presentation of the individual-sized Baked Alaska was lovely. However, the meringue was completely uncooked, except for the lightly torched outside, and was raw, very “gloppy” and for me, inedible. The sponge cake that covered all sides of the ice cream cube was stale and tasteless, and I just carved it all away. The ice cream portion (a 2” cube) was Ben n‘ Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream, which I LOVE, and I appreciated that the ice cream was still very firm and cold. I ate every bite of the ice cream J.

Warm Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake: was enjoyed by its recipient.

Chocolate Soufflé with Vanilla Sauce: My friend found the soufflé to be lacking in chocolate flavour, and said it was a dessert that she would not order again.

It wasn't a perfect dining experience, and there were certainly some annoyances, but it was a pretty room, the dinnerware was lovely, some of the food was very good, and we did have a good time. I would certainly give the Pinnacle Grill another chance.

One final interesting point, which is not directly associated with our dining experience. I was told, many times on Cruise Critic, also by phone when checking with Holland America directly, and in our cruise documents, that there WOULD NOT be a Formal Night on our three day cruise. As it turned out, there WAS, and it was the night of our Pinnacle dinner. Many of the people on board seemed to be travelling with appropriate formal attire so I can only assume that these people were also on the previous 7-day cruise, or on the following 15-day cruise, and arrived on board with suitable attire. Everyone in the Pinnacle Grille was dressed very nicely. My companions and I had brought along dressier clothes for the Pinnacle Grille, so luckily, we weren't caught short by an unplanned Formal Night, although we WERE surprised to see it show up on our daily Explorer.

Sorry to go on at length, but just wanted to share this while it is still fresh in my mind.

Cheers!

Hmmm!

Might I hijack this thread and ask the veteran cruisers. What would you do if the food is lousy? Ask for a replacement? Complain to the maitre D' or write a review afterwards?

do I qualify as a 'veteran'? :)

I did ask continuously for replacements, each one just as bad...The soup was OK no replacements needed, dinners awful - tried 2 different meats & fish dishes on first & second nites but not on subsequent nite (what was the use?), replaced asparagus with mushrooms - eh gad they burnt those too :O...Sauces - tried Bernaise and then the Peppercorn & gave up... dessert certainly not up to the usual but at least edible..

I complained to the Maitre D' 1/2 way thru when both sauces were terrible on 1st & 2nd nites there - useless - he cldn't understand why I was complaining and wldn't even look at the food :O almost felt he was insulted by my complaints and I did write a review afterwards - sent it to HALS head office - never had a response. :(

Decided to try CC and find out if anything had changed earlier this yr & this thread & seems it does depending on which PG chef & crew is on - Opinion formed - nothing consistant in the 'Z's PG food..!

Cld I have done anything else?

I just returned from the Zuiderdam on September 28th, 2010.

With respect to dining at Zuiderdam's Pinnacle Grill: I would have to say that our experience at the Pinnacle Grill was uneven.

Really appreciate your posting....most informative!

Food quality and service in specialty restaurants, when a cruiseline is trying to encourage cruises to experience a 4-5 star dinner there and is charging for it also, shn't be so uneven ...

Any complaint shld be investigated thoroughly and the cruiser compensated by refunding their hard earned cash with adject apologies offered also!!!..

As to how to restore their faith in HALs integrity after being offered 'star' quality at a fee and being delivered - lets just say a 'lot less than' - is another matter entirely!

Its not worth the $ at the 'Z's PG (never had this happen at any other PG on HALS ships) because u don't know what u will get but SHLD..:(

HAL shld pay us to dine there but JMO!!!

I'm sticking with the powder-sugar donuts at the Lido for my HAL specialty restaurant from now on.

Interesting to hear the other report about the mysteriously dysfunctional staffing of the PG. That seemed to underscore everything for us as well too. And agree, the more intimate setting and the table wear is lovely, really lovely. It could be such a nice change of pace restaurant and a welcome part of the ship' dining variety.

Plus there were several tee-shirt casual diners admitted as well who seemed to be quite chummy with the East Euro wait staff, while we dressed up and others chose black tie because our expectation was for a lovely upgraded evening.

And we also had the brusque reception and left sitting there with nothing for way too long and that weird delivery of food order. But the first clue this was not going to live up to even reasonable expectations was when I retrieved the large triangles of crispy flat bread and found the bottom half that had been tucked between the entirely undistinguished bread rolls was soggy and rubbery. That was my clue the show was more important than the delivery.

My advice, cut back on the show elements of the PG and ramp up the food quality 300%. And keep the PG Bulgari china - just gorgeous.

There was little else on the menu besides ridiculously sized portions - always a sign of poor menu priority for me. (Nutrition suggests only a 4 oz serving of meat per meal) To be asked if we wanted a "doggie bag" for our mainly unfinished poor quality, huge hunk of meat was the topper -- yeah, like I am going to put it in my suitcase or something?

I always get the filet when I'm there. I don't know why anyone would order one of those huge steaks. It wouldn't be my taste but then I'd rather have carbs then meat. Why wouldn't you have gone with the filet? There are 2 sizes. I go for the smaller size and it's more then enough.

Cld I have done anything else?

I wouldn't have returned more then once. Please, help me understand, why would you return to a place that had a surcharge if it was so lousy? I'd have stuck with the dining room and kept the money in my pocket.

I always get the filet when I'm there. I don't know why anyone would order one of those huge steaks. It wouldn't be my taste but then I'd rather have carbs then meat. Why wouldn't you have gone with the filet? There are 2 sizes. I go for the smaller size and it's more then enough.

I personally find a filet has zero flavor. I don't order a steak choice based only upon size; instead my choice first is for flavor. I especially chatted with the waiter about the best choice for flavor and took his recommendation. I know I don't have to eat it all since everything was the same price but the sizes they offered were nutritional over-kill and the only way to get the steaks with flavor if this is what one is looking for well-marbled, tender and flavorful was to order something way too large for my own personal sensibilities.

But alas, even the recommended choice was tough and flavorless (bone in rib eye, I believe). Choosing a filet that night would have been even more disappointing because the sauces necessary for a filet to give a filet some sort of flavor boost would have then have totally depended on the heavy, glop sauces they served that night, which were inedible.

It's too bad you think of a filet like that. Come down to Texas and one of our really great steakhouses and you'll change your mind....I promise. ;)

Better yet, let's send HAL down to Texas, and pick some up for the PG.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't have returned more then once. Please, help me understand, why would you return to a place that had a surcharge if it was so lousy? I'd have stuck with the dining room and kept the money in my pocket.

So, because u wldn't I shldn't?? I wld ask u why it matters anyway but I shall answer your question...since u seem to really need to know...

I am on a 7 day cruise, not fussy about the MDR food or the buffet stuff and my only alternative is the one specialty restaurant onboard - at which on numerous HAL ships I have always been able to get, while not always top notch, at least a nice meal..

I went, was disappointed and of course put it down to a 'bad nite' although was surprised.. Second nite tried something else - fish dish & vegs - again I was disappointed, not as surprised but still willing to try another meat dish this time & diff. vegs again for the third time - u know 3rd time lucky!!

But - three strikes and they were out.. :(

Different strokes for different folks - alright with u?

Now, this thread was started so I cld get info on others experiences in the Zuiderdams PG and make time comparisons so when I contact HAL I can outline the time frames for them and I wld like to continue that if I may be so permitted..

Really appreciate all the posters who are attempting to share with not only myself but those interested also - their comments regarding their experiences & dates in this regard..many thanks :)

Better yet, let's send HAL down to Texas, and pick some up for the PG.:rolleyes:

and while there see if anyone can teach the HAL kitchen staff how to cook a decent sauce..to go with it :D

I even offered to go into the kitchen at the PG and whip up the Bernaise for them - they refused unfortunately..:)

In general Fillets are generally the most tasteless beef (though most tender). NY Strips and Rib Eye and Porterhouses are the most flavorful - at least to my palate.

For us it has been hit and miss. However on the Z and O I have noticed an over Europeanization of the staff and more or less reliance on the Asian staff which are now relegated as servers.

Our last Cruise on the "O-dam" the Pinnacle service was spectacular and the food was good. Our server was Dutch on his first cruise contract and he did a superb job. Unfortunately his contract was up and his next ship will be the Nieuw Amsterdam this winter. So if you are on the Niuew Amsterdam this winter ask for Maarten as your server!

So, because u wldn't I shldn't?? I wld ask u why it matters anyway but I shall answer your question...since u seem to really need to know...

I am on a 7 day cruise, not fussy about the MDR food or the buffet stuff and my only alternative is the one specialty restaurant onboard - at which on numerous HAL ships I have always been able to get, while not always top notch, at least a nice meal..

I went, was disappointed and of course put it down to a 'bad nite' although was surprised.. Second nite tried something else - fish dish & vegs - again I was disappointed, not as surprised but still willing to try another meat dish this time & diff. vegs again for the third time - u know 3rd time lucky!!

But - three strikes and they were out.. :(

Different strokes for different folks - alright with u?

Now, this thread was started so I cld get info on others experiences in the Zuiderdams PG and make time comparisons so when I contact HAL I can outline the time frames for them and I wld like to continue that if I may be so permitted..

Really appreciate all the posters who are attempting to share with not only myself but those interested also - their comments regarding their experiences & dates in this regard..many thanks :)

I ask because you seem so angry about it. Maybe you have way more money then I do but I'm not about to go back to a place that has lousy food and I have to pay extra for it. Do people really do that:confused:? It seems like you are expecting a much different experience then HAL can provide for you. I really wonder what you expect HAL to do.

and while there see if anyone can teach the HAL kitchen staff how to cook a decent sauce..to go with it :D

I even offered to go into the kitchen at the PG and whip up the Bernaise for them - they refused unfortunately..:)

I suggested even adding a decent chimmichuri sauce and you would think I was suggesting incomprehensible from some of the responses I got here on another thread on this very topic. Still think it is a terrific and simple sauce suggestion which marries beef and sauce in a celestial pairing.

The PG on our last cruise offered a chimmichuri sauce, but I couldn't bring myself to order it on any of the 4 nights we dined there - as I once read here about someone boasting they "slurped" the sauce. I couldn't get that repulsive image out of my brain and thus, a sauce I once enjoyed is now lost forever. We had nothing but wonderful service and food in the PG that cruise btw.

The PG on our last cruise offered a chimmichuri sauce, but I couldn't bring myself to order it on any of the 4 nights we dined there - as I once read here about someone boasting they "slurped" the sauce. I couldn't get that repulsive image out of my brain and thus, a sauce I once enjoyed is now lost forever. We had nothing but wonderful service and food in the PG that cruise btw.

C'est moi. Please assign me to any rung of Dante's Hell you choose for that verbal offense.

However, if they serve chimichurri sauce in Hell I am not so sure it will be a punishment. Thanks for the first hand report HAL is now serving chimichurri sauce in the PG. They do listen to us here.

WARNING DO NOT PROCEED IF EASILY AND AURALLY OFFENDED: (June 30 , 2010 - SwissMyst) I wish I could afford to send you a ticket for a cruise to Argentina where you could actually try chimichurri sauce instead of just hearing about it. It is sublime and I think like me you would end up slurping up every drop when it marries with great beef. It is one of nature's inspired food combinations. Simple to prepare, easy to offer. I look forward to its addition on any HAL menu.

I am really sorry that the Zuiderdam PG is not up to par. We had none of these experiences on the Oosterdam (we had our table for 8, together as an example - maybe individual ship PG management decisions?).

The food was good to great. The steaks were flavorful, even my filet which I'm used to getting grain fed US beef from back east, the sauces were above average and the service was wonderful. The only thing I would change were the uncomfortable chairs and the souffle - it was as hard as a rock and tasteless:mad: (yes I'm a chocoholic so I was a little more than disappointed at that presentation). The wine list was uninspiring and overpriced IMO - glad I brought my own bottle and paid corkage.

So maybe it's just who is running the shop...

I ask because you seem so angry about it. Maybe you have way more money then I do but I'm not about to go back to a place that has lousy food and I have to pay extra for it. Do people really do that:confused:? It seems like you are expecting a much different experience then HAL can provide for you. I really wonder what you expect HAL to do.

and deserve to get what any rational person does - what HAL promises by advertising & charging $ for - is the simple answer why I am annoyed - not 'angry'!!

I expect HAL to provide food that isn't overcooked & dried out, burnt or so tasteless & unrecognizable it is laughable to assign a name to it and this is not only cheating me but is insulting to me as a customer...never mind dealing with the staff as well!!

Not a clever way to encourage myself or others to dine in the 'Z's PG is it? :(

So, because it seems to be necessary, retrain or get another chef & also retrain or change, while they are at it..the Eastern European waitstaff in at the least the 'Z's PG and from the sound of it the 'O's also...

I much prefer the Asian staff - much more congenial, relaxed & easier to converse with...but again JMO...

I do hope this finally explains 'everything' to u but if not, then perhaps u need to experience what I have for yourself and then decide what u want to do - as I have..

I repeat..patiently...'different strokes for diff. folks'...

Have happy cruisin'! :)

When we go on the Zuiderdam in April, I think we will skip the so called Pinacle Grill, it does not sound so high an experience as the name implies. Marvin

I think you should reread the entire thread from the beginning noting who the posters are before jumping to that conclusion.

Without trying to determine who is right and who is wrong (food is subjective and so is one's interpretation of good service) there are only 2 posters here maintaining that the PG is a terrible experience. On the other hand, you have eleven posters who say their own experience was good, wonderful or excellent. One poster (elena) raises both good and bad points. It isn't even a close race...

Most bad PG experiences come from recent Zuiderdam cruises. I too would recommend avoiding it if you are sailing on the Zuiderdam until you can confirm from other passengers who have tried it and gotten assurances there has been a total changeover of staff and kitchen crew.

It was not just wasting a few dollars on the meal, it was a really, really, really bad meal and it wasted an evening expectations of a pleasant alternative and celebration of life on HAL ships.

Be sure to mark your PG scorecards with both ship and dates, before making any final tally on this matter. Zuiderdam PG - June 18, 2010 - absolutely terrible on each and every count. And this was not a subjective matter of tastes in food or styles of service. From the rubbery flat bread "crisps" to the unbaked glop alaska dessert, there was nothing redeemable about the entire experience except our own choice to have not complained and walked out earlier. Everything was left unfinished after only a few bites.

Be sure to mark your PG scorecards with both ship and dates, before making any final tally on this matter. Zuiderdam PG - June 18, 2010 - absolutely terrible on each and every count...;;;;...

Sounds like SwissMyst had a bad day!

Anyway, does anyone know how the companies award their contracts? Is it an annual contract? Is there a regular start/end season????

I'll take this opportunity to finish my comments on cost cutting.

IMO, we need to be clear about what the issue is. The problem is not cost cutting just by itself. That merely means that we have to stay ahead of the curve by paying less.

The real problem is the disarray caused by re-organization. Cut cutting means that managers have to re-organize the processes. Sometimes, they fail! That's why you get repeat failures on a single voyage. Just walk away ASAP.

We mustn't underestimate the importance of managers and supervisors. Cost cutting that reduces the quality of management and supervision is the worst kind of cost cutting. It actually reduces value for the customers.

In such a situation, I wouldn't bother to make a scene. The matre D' already knows that he has problems. His big problem is that he doesn't have the solutions.

I would just walk away, think happy thoughts, and warn the next fella. :cool:

Sounds like SwissMyst had a bad day!

Anyway, does anyone know how the companies award their contracts? Is it an annual contract? Is there a regular start/end season????

.......l

That was my thought exactly, was PG a contract operation like some of the also crummy shops onboard that are selling some pretty shoddy and often overpriced items as well as taking over way too much public space which are contract now. We avoid those too, but I think this is why the wonderful locations of the Explorations Cafes got short-changed and moved up into the far less desirable Crows Nest top deck areas so more "shopping" space could be turned over to contract purveyors.

Yes, this is part of the cost-cutting, income generation decisions that may ultimately prove cost -ineffective if it destroys HAL uniqueness as a ship for sea traveling passengers; not for shoppers who can do far better on land.

But apparently, PG is part of the regular HAL dining operations and not an independent operation. And as such it is a pays your money and takes your chances operation much like the on board casinos. Some leave lucky chance winners, others leave sadder but wiser losers.

I think you should reread the entire thread from the beginning noting who the posters are before jumping to that conclusion.

Without trying to determine who is right and who is wrong (food is subjective and so is one's interpretation of good service) there are only 2 posters here maintaining that the PG is a terrible experience. On the other hand, you have eleven posters who say their own experience was good, wonderful or excellent. One poster (elena) raises both good and bad points. It isn't even a close race...

the two who are adamant about it are giving exactly which month it occurred and in Swiss Mysts case the exact date..June 18th/10..One is a 30 yr cruiser and a former caterer with a 'little' knowledge of food ('subjective' not so - it is either a Bernaise/Peppercorn sauce or it isn't & it is either properly cooked or it is not cooked or burnt - not exactly open to interpretation) & the other has also cruised a great deal & as well has eaten at a lot of PGs..

My personal opinion - the ambience & surroundings were wonderful as usual & the food wasn't all bad - the soup & appetizer were good not great but good and the dessert alright...My main concern was the most important - the main course - meat/fish,vegs & sauces...

Then, in post #26 quoted sailing 'Z' Sept 28/10, Elena7Seas took valuable time to completely outline the experience and said, rather kindly I thought, 'it was uneven'!!

Being generously forgiving also - said they wld try it again - something I did twice more much to my chagrin :(

Said some food tasteless/the Baked Alaska meringue was not cooked etc...& regarding the service...'Z's PG management doesn't seem to have any sense of what good service involves'!!!! Kept them waiting, Maitre D & customers arguing near their table, poor wine service etc..again hardly 'interpretive' these are basics!!

That shldn't happen in a 4-5* restaurant & wldn't - at least not on land!..

On land this type of restaurant wld go out of business but we are a captive audience at sea so to speak & esp on the 'Z'..:(

As for the other posters, not mentioning even a date, whether it was their first time at any PG or the 'Z's PG and just stating - 'we liked/enjoyed it' - doesn't exactly enlighten us much but I am sure that probably many might have had a good or even great meal...at the 'Z's PG..

Likely cld have occurred during the times when the' bunch' that were under contract to cook in the Zs PG when we had our experiences, were on leave & replaced under contract by others who cld actually cook with a degree of competency & pride!!!

Seems IMO anyway, in this regard a person needs to base ones decision on a 'trial' meal - shame it has to be that way though..(in my case tried it 3 times in 7 days)...

Have never had an occasion to complain before re: PG meals/service, which have ranged from good to extraordinary, on other HAL ships.

If u do decide to try it I sincerely hope u do have a great meal - when properly done the PG can't be beat! :)

Remember, the subject is just the Zuiderdams PG as far as food & service and the Oosterdam as far as service

Please - anyone who is sailing the Zuiderdam anytime in the future & wishes to try the PG - come back and post your date of travel & personal experience - I for one, wld be most interested & grateful for your opinion!!

I wish u all happy cruisin' & at least decent (when u pay for it) dining :)

Archived