If you had to pick three grossest foods...

schmoopie17

I just found out last year that I'm a "super-taster", so anything that's a little bitter to most people is super bitter to me. I can't stand the taste of coffee and feel like you all have been brainwashed, lol:)

Things I will not eat

raw meat (sushi? steak tartar? no!)

brussel sprouts

cooked cabbage

bugs

balut

okra

oysters

anchovies, sardines, etc.

Also not a fan of

raw onions (except green)

green bell pepper, cooked or raw

I'm sure there's more :D

• 6 months later...

Slight addition to my prior post:

Raw seafood, especially shellfish. I ain't gonna put a raw filter in my mouth to have it slide its way down my digestive tract. Sorry, I prefer my biologically-magnified ocean contaminants _cooked_, thank you very much :p.

I once had a fried oyster po' boy sandwich, and it was delicious. Though I did have a moment of dread when I looked at a bitten-in-half oyster and saw that inside its golden crunchy coating was something from a horror movie :eek:. I finished the sandwich but didn't take a second look.:rolleyes:

Okra

Raw squid

Tomato juice

And only tomato juice. I have no problem with tomato sauce, ketchup, raw tomatoes, tomato soup, but tomato juice makes me gag.

Ugh, yes! I like the first three things you listed as well, but I can't stand tomato soup either - something about eating tomato in hot, liquid form is just..... eww.

Cannot eat lima beans, liver or any raw fish. However, I love liverwurst, caviar, and sardines...(go figure!) Will try most new things.:D

Also, my DH and I love, love, love ice cold milk at most meals. We are both 68 and have been big milk (1% low fat) drinkers all our lives. It has to be ice cold...yum :)

• 3 weeks later...

Why all the Okra hate? I adore it especially in Middle Eastern/Arabic food. Lots of the stuff on this thread I actually really like and that includes crickets...when they are deep fried they are like bacon crisps! I have also eaten various eyeballs and I am indifferent to them but eat most things in general.

Except:

Raw Celery

Rhubarb (Celery's evil sister)

Offal unless its pate/paste

Beetroot

Lemon desserts

Most tinned fish (including the famous Surstromming)

I imagine Fois Gras and Rabbit are delicious but refuse to eat them for various reasons.

Edited by Velvetwater

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just three things I would consider grossest

Raw Oysters

Liver (but love smooth pate)

Fennel

Then no love for bell peppers, artichoke, aubergine or lamb.

I have eaten all sorts of things especially when I lived in the Far East where anything and I mean anything with a pulse is fair game!

If you object to the strong anise flavor of uncooked fennel, DW found a lovely recipe for "Braised Fennel and Carrots" for our Godson's wedding reception (DW provided the meal for the dozen or so vegetarian or vegan guests) which has a bit of dill cooked in with the veggies. None of its raw sharp licorice taste remains _after_ it is done cooking; it has a very subtle flavor. Similar to the way garlic's pungency is tempered and mellowed by slow baking in a closed pot. It's definitely worth a try.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

A River Cruiser checking in :) Something I LOVE but many hate is Brussels sprouts! Spotted some at the next table and asked the server for some. He brought a family sized plate and our table of six devoured it! I thought I was the only BS lover! I DO hate okra - slimy & yucky taste.

• 3 weeks later...

Mushrooms!!! Something about eating fungus that turns me off and the texture is just ew. Especially when you can see the gills - GROSS!! I wish I liked them - my sister and I go to the Melting Pot a lot and she makes the stuffed mushrooms - they look good but noooo thank you

I really really wish I liked beer. But it's just gross to me. There's some common taste (maybe the yeast?) that I taste even in hard cider and it just makes me want to vomit.

Celery. UGH. I HATE celery!!!

Also - mussels/clams/oysters.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my absolutely-no-go list:

Organ meats and offal

Raw or undercooked meat (nothing below medium rare for beef)

Fish/seafood/shellfish (with the exception of blackened halibut)

Meat with high fat content (nothing worse than biting into a huge wad of gluey fat, ugh) or lots of gristle

Dark meat poultry

Eggs prepared in any way that does not involve combining the yolk and white (poaching, frying, boiling, etc.)

Ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, creamy salad dressings

Escargot

Amphibian/reptile meat

Insects

Organ meats and offal

Meat with high fat content (nothing worse than biting into a huge wad of gluey fat, ugh) or lots of gristle

Dark meat poultry

Eggs prepared in any way that does not involve combining the yolk and white (poaching, frying, boiling, etc.)

Escargot

Amphibian/reptile meat

Insects

Ok, I feel sick

Thank you.

Are we related?

Organ meats and offal

Dark meat poultry

Escargot

Amphibian/reptile meat

Insects

This reminds me of my wife's diet. She had a reaction to shellfish in 2012 (the evening before our cruise on NCL Gem out of NY City) and after we returned to Oregon, she had further testing and was given a list of foods to avoid. The list above is a similar list she was provided by her doctor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are my three:

Coffee

Cavier

Dark Chocolate

I obviously don't like bitter items. I will try almost anything once, but the thought of eating any type of testicles kind of grosses me out. I would try a bite....maybe...LOL.

Weirdly, I like kale which some people describe as bitter to them, I think it has more of a peppered taste.

Here are my three:

Coffee

Cavier

Dark Chocolate

I obviously don't like bitter items. I will try almost anything once, but the thought of eating any type of testicles kind of grosses me out. I would try a bite....maybe...LOL.

Weirdly, I like kale which some people describe as bitter to them, I think it has more of a peppered taste.

Even the smell of chocolate makes me feel ill. Oddly, I like the smell of coffee but don't care for the taste. Caviar? I don't want to be on the same planet with that.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Here are my three:

Coffee

Cavier

Dark Chocolate

Caviar is not bitter, nor is it related to testicles. I don't understand the issue. Do you eat chicken eggs?