Price drops for UK Cruisers ?

Elizanessie

Another advantage that US passengers have is that they can cancel their cruise before final payment is made with no loss of deposit. That is not available to us in the UK. We would lose our deposit if we cancelled.

Another advantage that US passengers have is that they can cancel their cruise before final payment is made with no loss of deposit. That is not available to us in the UK. We would lose our deposit if we cancelled.

This is the key option for US PAX cancel and rebook so the cruise line might as well give the discounts.

Allthough quite a few price dropa are specials for new bookings only.

Alway check prices both sides of the pond and if the prices are lower US find a US TA that will take your bookings. Not all TA will because the cruise lines try to block it.

NCL you can book where ever you want.

Just to let you know on two of our RCCL cruises they have honoured price drops without any problem. I just gave them a ring and they sorted it out there and then and then forwarded me confirmation. Must say whenever I ring RCCL they are always happy to help and always very pleasant.

Playing Devil's advocate, if cruise lines should reduce all equivalent fares when their is a price drop on a category should they increase likewise? The phrase "double edged sword" comes to mind. Alan

I don't think that bookings should be reduced or increased to match new fares. To my mind, the price you book should remain at that. You've made a contract to pay a certain price for a cruise which you must have been satisfied with (or you wouldn't have booked it) and that should be final.

I would never had known that those in the US got price drops after paying a deposit if it weren't for the CC message boards, and I think it's unfair to treat passengers on either side of the pond differently.

Having worked for many UK travel companies including 3 1/2 years for Carnival/Costa unlike the US it is not standard policy to refund money if a cruise fare is reduced. The way it is looked upon here is you enter a contract at the time you pay the deposit under the understanding that prices may change (they can go up as well as down). Typically prices are only reduced if they are struggling to reach capacity but the line you will usually get (and the staffers are trained to give), is likening it to the January Sales, you wouldn't get a refund on anything bought beforehand.

In the rare instance that it does happen it is usually to shut a troublesome client up. I don't nessasrily agree with this policy but it's pretty much a standard throughout the UK travel industry.

Roland

We booked via American Airlines - they have a free fone number also for international calls. Their line is open 24 hours so there's no problem with the time difference.

Some cruise lines don't allow bookings for none US addresses via American Airlines but Celebrity did.

Although we had been regularly checking the prices via the Celebity website, we got the tip from a roll call member. We got an upgrade from C1 to C2 and have also got an OBC of $158. We have also got AA air miles thrown in too.

• 1 month later...

Just got a £210 price drop on my upcoming 5 nighter on Navigator - been watching the prices on RCCL www regularly. I had booked through a UK cruise agency. Having already made my final payment I thought I was goosed but no they gave RCCL a call and refunded me the cash to my card straight away - sweet. First time it has happened to me

Just got a £210 price drop on my upcoming 5 nighter on Navigator - been watching the prices on RCCL www regularly. I had booked through a UK cruise agency. Having already made my final payment I thought I was goosed but no they gave RCCL a call and refunded me the cash to my card straight away - sweet. First time it has happened to me

Congratulations on getting the price drop/refund :D

Have fun on the Navigator...nice ship..I have sailed on her 3 times :D

I recently noticed that the cruise fare showing on RCI UK web site for a future sailing I am booked on is quite a bit less than it was when I made my reservation. When I called them to request an adjustment to my fare I was told the prices now showing on the web site are for new bookings only. I left it for a couple of days before calling again in the off chance that the first person I spoke with had got it wrong, but no such joy I’m afraid – I got the same story. Today I checked the web site again to see if I could find any mention of the ‘new reservation’ get out and noticed the following clause appearing at the foot of each page of RCI’s online reservation process

* Prices are per person, shown in pounds sterling. For new reservations only. Government taxes and fees are included. 'Deals' pricing reflects the special rate(s) you may be eligible for. Service charge (pre-paid gratuities) are additional. Proof of eligibility required. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding.

Has anyone noticed this before or can offer comment?

I recently noticed that the cruise fare showing on RCI UK web site for a future sailing I am booked on is quite a bit less than it was when I made my reservation. When I called them to request an adjustment to my fare I was told the prices now showing on the web site are for new bookings only. I left it for a couple of days before calling again in the off chance that the first person I spoke with had got it wrong, but no such joy I’m afraid – I got the same story. Today I checked the web site again to see if I could find any mention of the ‘new reservation’ get out and noticed the following clause appearing at the foot of each page of RCI’s online reservation process

* Prices are per person, shown in pounds sterling. For new reservations only. Government taxes and fees are included. 'Deals' pricing reflects the special rate(s) you may be eligible for. Service charge (pre-paid gratuities) are additional. Proof of eligibility required. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding.

Has anyone noticed this before or can offer comment?

Hi :D

This has been on the site for sometime..why they have it I really dont understand because they do give price drops.

What ship and sailing ?

Hi :D

This has been on the site for sometime..why they have it I really dont understand because they do give price drops.

What ship and sailing ?

Thanks!

Independence of the Seas 4 January 2012

D3 balcony

Thanks!

Independence of the Seas 4 January 2012

D3 balcony

I really dont know why they are saying no to price drop for you. I have had a look online and can't really see a reason why they aren't giving it.

Perhaps it may be helpful if you called again and asked to speak to a supervisor and ask them to explain why you cannot get this price drop.

It seems wrong and unfair that you have booked a cruise a year in advance and cannot get a price drop that is being offered to others who book later than you.

Please let us know how you get on.

Liz

When I booked in November last year the basic cruise price excluding taxes & fees was subject to the usual 5% online discount, the applicable diamond plus balcony discount and an early booking discount being offered at that time. Since the early booking offer has since expired should a price drop be measured by the basic cruise fare content only or should the early booking discount also be taken into consideration?

I'm sure that whenever we did receive price drops in the past they were awarded purely on the basis of difference in the basic cruise price content alone and any previously included discounts remained as was :confused:

Liz

When I booked in November last year the basic cruise price excluding taxes & fees was subject to the usual 5% online discount, the applicable diamond plus balcony discount and an early booking discount being offered at that time. Since the early booking offer has since expired should a price drop be measured by the basic cruise fare content only or should the early booking discount also be taken into consideration?

I'm sure that whenever we did receive price drops in the past they were awarded purely on the basis of difference in the basic cruise price content alone and any previously included discounts remained as was :confused:

I did an example of how it should be..just using any numbers.

Basic cruise Price 800

Taxes 200

Tips 100

Total 1100

Minus early booking discount(EBD) 200

New Total 900

Ok so if there was a price drop then it would be -

Basic cruise Price 700

Taxes 200

Tips 100

Total 1000

Minus EBD 200

New Total 800

So yes the previous discounts would remain.

I wonder if there is something we are missing...it appears that for certain sailings when price drops then it only applies to new bookings...for what reason I dont know.:confused: I wish I did.

Liz

Thanks for confirming your understanding of how this should work is how I thought it should be. I shall call RCI again and ask for a supervisor to explain why it should be different on this occasion.

Will let you know how I get on.

Appreciate you taking the time to assist ;)

Liz

Thanks for confirming your understanding of how this should work is how I thought it should be. I shall call RCI again and ask for a supervisor to explain why it should be different on this occasion.

Will let you know how I get on.

Appreciate you taking the time to assist ;)

I wish I could have helped more.

It is frustrating sometimes the differences in the policies between UK and US.

Someone mentioned no pice drops for on-board bookings. Thinking this sounded strange I emailed RCI for a definitive answer (yeah, right;)) Back came a reply, totally ignoring my clearly stated question, just asking what cruise I was interested in and they would find me the best price! I have just emailed back asking for an answer to my question, will post if I hear anything. Think in retrospect, might have been better to email C&A,,,,

Sue

Someone mentioned no pice drops for on-board bookings. Thinking this sounded strange I emailed RCI for a definitive answer (yeah' date=' right;)) Back came a reply, totally ignoring my clearly stated question, just asking what cruise I was interested in and they would find me the best price! I have just emailed back asking for an answer to my question, will post if I hear anything. Think in retrospect, might have been better to email C&A,,,,[/size']

Sue

Hi Sue

I did check with RCCL UK when I saw the post about no price drops for onboard bookings...and the answer was that the info posted was incorrect....so yes you still get price drops even when booking is made onboard. :D

Royal Caribbean sailings

Sadly there is no price drop after booking on board, the price given is final , deposit has to be paid on Board to RCCL Loyalty Ambassador,

prior to June 10, you could book on Board, come home and renegotiate with TA OR RCCL before payment of deposit now all changed.

This is it is totally unfair to not only U K , But all European RCCL cruisers

Royal Caribbean sailings

Sadly there is no price drop after booking on board, the price given is final , deposit has to be paid on Board to RCCL Loyalty Ambassador,

prior to June 10, you could book on Board, come home and renegotiate with TA OR RCCL before payment of deposit now all changed.

This is it is totally unfair to not only U K , But all European RCCL cruisers

Where do you see this ?

I checked with RCCL UK office and they say that is not correct information.

Where do you see this ?

I checked with RCCL UK office and they say that is not correct information.

many years I booked on Board then transferred bookings to TA then RCCL, but since June 10, I have met and talked to 4 different Loyalty Ambassadors on different ships re future bookings, sadly they all say the same,

They also say they have they have made representation for UK travelers to have a better booking arrangement as there UK bookings have dramatically dropped.

I also like yourself talked to RCCL agents, some say one thing others not sure, but none would guarantee it.

Archived