Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SandyR5

Xpedition shoe question for those who have been there

Hi all you veteran Xpedition cruisers - We're booked and eager to learn as much as possible before we go. I have two "shoe" questions. I have seen some copies of the daily informational sheet you received each evening to help you plan the next day. Sometimes it says "make sure to wear good sandals". What does that mean? Could you wear well treaded sneakers? Second question: If there is a wet landing, do you wear water shoes and carry your shoes/socks? What do you do with the water shoes after you get onto the beach? Do you just leave them there 'till you return?

I know these questions might seem dumb, but I want to be prepared. I'm also not a "sandal person", I prefer sneakers/socks or light hikers. Thanks.

Hi Sandy,

I don't recall a reference to "good sandals". I would bring light hikers for the dry landings. For the rocky uneven surfaces, it's better to have something more sturdy than sneakers. We saw some folks struggling in flimsy footwear. For wet landings, I wore water sandals and then kept them on for the hikes that followed. This worked out well for me. If you wear water shoes, you can bring a small towel and carry shoes/socks. Yes, you could probably leave your water shoes on the beach and pick them up on the way back. There was often snorkeling after the hikes on the beach, and the snorkel gear is left there. You could probably also exit the dingy barefoot and then put on your footwear when you step onto the beach.

In any case, you'll have a wonderful time!

Hi Disneygal - Thanks for you answer. You've answered many other questions many of us have had. The copies of the daily schedules I have were from one of the first Xpeditions. Maybe they have changed the wording from "good sandals" to sturdy shoes! :) I think I'd prefer lite hikers for the hikes and I'll probably just bring along some flip flops to use for wet landings and leave them by the beach.

I agree with Disneygal (Hi Marla), light hiking shoes were the best most of the time. For wet landings I had teva sandals that can get wet and kept them on for the hike. If you don't mind a little sand in your sandals it works. I saw a lot of people get out of the zodiac barefoot and put their shoes and socks on when they got onto the beach. Have a great time.

My husband who took part in every activity wore jogging shoes or tevas. That seemed to work well. There were people that had a whole lot of "expedition" clothing.........look liked they were going to Africa.

Pack lightly.

You might also think in terms of ankle support depending upon whether you hike over rocks, or if you are a heavier person. For these conditions I would select a light weight hiker that has a higher top to protect the ankles.

Also look for a good tread that will prevent slipping.

John

I took NIKE cross trainers. They had enough tread, but I found myself wishing that I had brought my hiking boots. As my feet perspired, they would begin to twist around in my shoe. I think that having high tops would have been better for me.

BTW, there are hiking sticks supplied. I was very grateful to have them on the first two days especially, because I have very short legs. Having that extra 'leg' really protected my knees while coming down.

For wet landings I had my water shoes that I wear in the pool for aqua exercise. I had a plastic grocery bag to put them in, and just left them there to pick up after the hike. So I wore them into the zodiac and changed into my socks and shoes after we landed. I had a bandana to wipe my feet, but lots of people brought the hand towel or face cloth from the ship.

You will be given lots of warning about whether it will be a wet or dry landing.

Have fun. :D

Thanks for the great answers. I'm set for the hikes. I do have "aqua socks" that I wear in rocky water, but they take forever to dry. Maybe plain, old flip/flops would be good for those wet landings. What do you think?

The potential for tripping seems great. But that's me. If you're used to them, take them. You'll only be getting in and out. I remember the one wet rocky slimy bouldery place we landed on. Nothing was exactly perfect. Bare feet would be bruised or cut. Shoes would need drying. Those with sandles, needed to put up with sand

Hi, We are booked for this cruise on 9/11 and very excited and have loved reading all of the posts. I’m getting water sneakers from lands end for the trip. Go check out the web page http://www.landsend.com. They are made to go in the water and then go hiking. For only 29.00 they look like they are worth a try.

There is an more expensive shoe with a built in neoprene sock that looks interesting too.

Thanks so much for that link. Those look to be perfect! We're going to order them. Thanks again.

On my xpedition trip next week, I will have my 7 mil neoprene dive booties which have a good tread for walking and they dry fairly fast.

In addition, I have water shoes made my Salamon (sp) which are like heavy sneakers. The cushioning in these shoes are hard to dry and will smell in the tropics if not washed after use. They are great for hiking, though you will want dry feet for extended hikes. I also have seen water shoes from Merril which look even better.

John

Hi John - Sounds like you're all set! Please post a trip report and fill us in on how everything went. I was going to order those shoes from Land's End, but they only come in full sizes and both my husband and I wear half sizes. I know this is a trivial thing, but I would love to have the right shoes.

Sandy, there are only few landings that are "wet" , and even so you are wet only until you reach the beach whereupon you change into dry shoes or snorkelling equipment. I only had three wet landings planned (two i missed because I got sick); I was glad that I'd not invested much money in shoes for it. Just be certain that you want to use the shoes you buy enough to carry them home again. Or bring an old, broken down pair that you can throw away. If you are used to flip flops, use them. It all depends, I suppose, on tides and winds and where the other tours are (because they try to take you to deserted beaches), but I doubt you'll do very many wet landings. My thinking is that the guides don't want to have you wreck really good shoes, so they warn you. Truly, a lot of people just rolled up their pant legs a bit, tied their shoelaces together so to sling them around their necks and they didn't worry about any shoes for wet landings. If you can't buy the water sneakers, what about really cheap canvas runners with thin rubberized soles? Do they even make those anymore?

It's Karen from Houston from the Summit. We did book the Xpedition for next March 2006 (10)th and will be looking forward to your report after you return. I wanted to ask you why you selected to travel in March. We researched and decided it was the best time for us. What was your reasoning?

I Karen,

March was the earliest I could get a trip scheduled as I was in Tahiti for a month in November.

The water temperatures are a bit warmer for my diving and snorkeling. The rainy season is starting to pickup, but very minimal precipatation reported statisticly. Some animals will be breeding at different points in the year, so I hope to see a fair mix.

We are taking mom to Alaska again this Summer, so those months are taken care of, and then in Oct, its back to Tahiti for the the month.

John

Your schedule sounds fabulous!!

We just knew you would have reason to travel to the Galapogos in March for your photography. Since we hope to do a lot of snorkeling the water temp was an important deciding factor.

We are going to return to Alaska in July of 2007. Our vacation time is not as plentiful as yours.

Say hello to your Mom.

Karen from Houston

Hi Labeyoung!! I'm glad your going on our sail date. I didn't think I would find anyone on these boards going too!

Back to the shoe question.We are booked on the Aug 12 cruise/tour and in preparation for it we starting looking at shoes.My DW wear 2AA shoes and as you know most athletic shoes don't come in narrow width.We found that New Balance had a wet/dry shoe in all the sizes.I contacted New Balance and was told that the shoe had been discontinuted but I might check with their outlet shoe.I found my size there for $39.95 but not my DW.We found her size at Cabela's for $69.95.We are both very please with them.Very good fit and good support.This was about 2-3 months ago.I noticed that Cabela's has reduce them down to $39.95. If you are interested go to http://www.cabelas.com and do a search for "695 adventure".Good picture of them.

Any body else on the Aug. 12 date?

George/Sara

Austin,TX

A good hiking boot helps give support and protection at the same time, they don't have to be top of the line, but they must be comfortable and broken in BEFORE you go. TEVA's dry very quickly and give good protection. Bunches of styles that will work, find one that is comfortable for you. You don't need expencsive water shoes or dive boots for the wet landings. I think we have 3-4 wet landings, but that differs month to month.

Hi,

I'd love to hear from someone who as been to Galapagos in March, 9-19.

What was it like? How much wildlife did you se?

Thanks.

Judy

______

We saw loads of wildlife and had no rain. It was truly the most fabulous trip we have ever done. Have a great time.

But it was quite warm. We are from Houston and the weather was similar to our June weather. Very humid and warm in the afternoon. We would hike in the morning, come back to the ship and take a shower, eat lunch, take a nap then head back out for our afternoon excursion. When we got back in the afternoon we would shower again. We packed Columbia clothing that was easily washed out in the sink and it would dry fast. It was a good thing because we went through two outfits a day. By the second day most of us women gave up on fixing our hair and putting on makeup. You must wear a hat everywhere you go so no need to primp. It was pure freedom.

I have written a review of my trip. You can search for it or I can find the link and provide it to you.