More Royal Clipper @ Barbados questions

jcl410

Hi All -

It is now just 2 months till my first Royal clipper cruise! I have a few questions for experiance Star Clipper cruisers...

1) I believe I have read that embarkation begins at 1600; is that correct?

1a) Will be OK to board wearing shorts? Will I have time to change before dinner?

2) I know all prices are in Euros on the ship; but is there any need for cash on board?

3) Does the purser off a "change" service, where they will break large US bills for use on shore?

4) - I *REALLY* like diet soda (Coke or Pepsi). How early in the morning will I be able to get one? Is there ice in the cabins? Maybe I can buy one at night for the morning?

5) I am arranging for private transportation in Barbados. What time should I tell them to pick me up after debarkation at the end of the cruise. There is no rush to get to the airport; my flight isn't until 1540.

Thanks all!

Aloha,

John

I will try to answer a few of your questions.

Of course you can wear shorts on arrival. The only request is that you wear docker type long pants or similar and a nice shirt for evening dinner. This is not a foo foo ship

No need for cash on board, You give them your credit card upon arrival and all your ships purchase including bar tab are put on and you pay at the end of the trip either with that card or cash or combination.

I have never seen them make change or break money I think you have to do that ashore.

Bar opens fairly early and of course you can buy soft drinks and take to your cabin. There is an ice bucket and you can get ice at the bar. Generally the ships arrive at @ 8:00am weather and customs permitting. Usually you can board at 4:00 pm (1600) Dinner service rums from 7:30 to 10:00pm and no formal seating time--go when you want and sit where you want.

My reply is similar to Barnacle Bob's.

My answers to your questions, using your numbering. (We have been on the Royal Clipper out of Barbados 7 times)

1. Correct

1a. Shorts O.K. to board if you wish. Yes - plenty. Dinner is at 7.30 p.m. Suggest you are on deck near the bridge by 10 p.m. for departure. Listen as well as watch. The first sails are on the way up as the ship leaves the port.

2. No. all on board spend goes on your account

3. I think the answer to that is "No"

4. Don't know about diet soda/coke/pepsi. There is usually an ice bucket in your cabin (or you can get one) and you can fill that at the bar when you wish

5. At the end of the cruise you have to be off the ship no later than 10 a.m. (so that they can get it ready for the next cruise). You may be able to arrange for your private transport to give you a look around part of Barbados prior to arriving at the airport. It is likely, if you wish, that you may be able to book (on board) a part day trip around parts of Barbados at the end of your cruise with the trip dropping you off at the airport at the end. Look closely at the times.

A superb holiday awaits you.

Wow you are on vacation!

True; However , for me, the reason I am going on this specific ship is because I want to enjoy as much time as possible on deck while we are underway.

It's going to be getting light around 6am. So I want to make sure I get up early.

Now if I had the time to go on the transatlantic, THEN I could sleep in! :)

Aloha,

John

If I remember correctly there is an alarm clock on the night stand. Sunrises with a nice coffee, drink or hot chocolate are beautiful. There is coffee and tea available in the bar and early bird breakfast at 6:00am. I am almost sure that there is no wake up service. I bet you will be up with out an alarm

As I recall there is no alarm clock or wake up service in the cabins. Suggest you take one of those small battery operated travel/alarm clocks with you. Also suggest that, for your flight to Barbados, the battery is kept out of the clock so that it is not working at airport check in. I tend to be up and about early and go forward to the open part of the Bridge where you can, if you wish, have a chat with, perhaps, one or two like minded passengers and/or the ship's duty officer(s) and, maybe, the Captain. If you are lucky you may see some dolphins (look over the bow) and if you are really really lucky you may see some whales.

Sunrise, sails, cup of coffee (or whatever), tropical breeze.............!

Have a great holiday.

Archived