fun.in.the.sun

MSC Opera Feb. 5th, had a good experience

My husband and I were on the western carribean sailing Feb 5th. Overall we had a good time and would rate it A-. We were in a category 10 balcony cabin, room 10053, rooms are small but adequate. We had no bad smells in our cabin, as others had posted. The ship is very nice with many lounges and public spaces. The entertainment was excellent. There was a variety of music, we particluarly enjoyed the trio of "los Reyes Paraguayos" as well as the piano bar music. The Theatre had some excellent shows. The "animation team" was not our cup of tea, but others enjoyed it. The disco was dead every night, but with the right group could have been more fun.

We loved the spa, with the sauna and steam rooms, the relaxation rooms were a nice quiet place to enjoy the view. We did several treatments and the massages and body scrub were wonderful. The facial was OK, but not great. We booked on the first day, then later they announced a 10% discount, which we did not get. This annoyed me, so see if you can reserve without paying first. The gym, although never packed, needed more cardio equipment, there were 4 treadmills, 2 stairmasters and 2 or 3 bikes. there was a sign up sheet for the treadmills. I never signed up, but was able to use it between appointed times. There was also a variety of wieght machines and free weights.

We liked most of the food, especially the main entrees at dinner. If I can recall correctly, the typical dinner menu contained 3 appetizers, 1 salad, 2 soups, 1 or 2 pasta dishes and 3 or 4 entrees. I had the fish several times and it was excellent, as was the prime rib and steak. The crab salad, and the shimp appetizers were also very good. On ocassion the side dish had an issue, for instance the baked potatoe was cold or the vegtable overcooked. But considering the amount of food the kitchen puts out, they did a fantastic job, and I would much perfer a good steak and a cold potatoe then vice-versa.

At lunch the pizza was our favorite, but the fish and chips across the deck were also good. The breakfast had a good variety, my husband had the omelet several times and I the bagel with cream cheese and salmon, or fresh pineapple and melon. The pastries were excellent. Room service was very prompt, never more then 5 minutes for my morning coffee to be delivered.

We did the afternoon tea and liked the small sandwiches and desserts. There was food at midnight either buffet sytle or people serving in the lounges. Although we heard some people complaining that the buffets on other lines were much grander, we did not book the cruise to just eat 24/7 and were satisfied with the quanity, variety and most of all, the quality of the food.

2 tips: Small cups are all that are available at the self service bar for water or iced tea, grab a big glass at the bar or from the guy going arround selling the fresh O.J. (which is REALLY good)

The showers in the cabins are very very small, but the showers in the dressing room and sauna area are fabulous :)

I wish we would have had longer in the ports of call but the process of getting on and off the boat was very easy and efficient.

Overall a good time, and a well ran cruise......Kelly

Thanks for your report!

Looking forward to trying it myself in a few days!