Host Mach Please Advise

Warm Breezes

Host Mach,

I was wondering if you could use your connections at CCL to help us resolve the Marriage License debate. CCL does not have any wording in their required documentation sections that say a married woman, who drops her maiden name and takes her husbands surname, needs to bring a marriage license to bridge the gap between her Birth Certificate (in her maiden name) and her drivers license. RCCL does have section that addresses this and they apparently require the marriage license.

Many of us married women have cruised CCL and have never been asked to produce a marriage license. There have been recent reports from those on RCCL saying they have been asked to produce one. The only recent reports on CCL have been for people whose DL does not match their boarding pass. There have been a couple posters who are reporting that they were required to show their marriage license to CCL when their DL did match their boarding pass. However, these were instances that were over 5 years ago.

Please help us end the confusion and get confirmation from Carnival on

1) Does a woman who takes her husbands surname need to bring her marriage license to bridge the gap between her birth certificate and drivers license and if so

2) Under what circumstances are they being asked to provide such documentation (ie only if drivers license does not match boarding pass or only if there are no kids sailing with them that bridge the gap with their birth certificates or at the whim of the carnival employee)?

Let's get this in black and white so all the women in this situation know what documentation they are required to bring with them.

Host Mach,

I was wondering if you could use your connections at CCL to help us resolve the Marriage License debate. CCL does not have any wording in their required documentation sections that say a married woman, who drops her maiden name and takes her husbands surname, needs to bring a marriage license to bridge the gap between her Birth Certificate (in her maiden name) and her drivers license. RCCL does have section that addresses this and they apparently require the marriage license.

Many of us married women have cruised CCL and have never been asked to produce a marriage license. There have been recent reports from those on RCCL saying they have been asked to produce one. The only recent reports on CCL have been for people whose DL does not match their boarding pass. There have been a couple posters who are reporting that they were required to show their marriage license to CCL when their DL did match their boarding pass. However, these were instances that were over 5 years ago.

Please help us end the confusion and get confirmation from Carnival on

1) Does a woman who takes her husbands surname need to bring her marriage license to bridge the gap between her birth certificate and drivers license and if so

2) Under what circumstances are they being asked to provide such documentation (ie only if drivers license does not match boarding pass or only if there are no kids sailing with them that bridge the gap with their birth certificates or at the whim of the carnival employee)?

Let's get this in black and white so all the women in this situation know what documentation they are required to bring with them.

I'll check... standby...

Warm Breezes it was just a given that this would turn into another freakin passport thread:D

Let the insecure people preach.......

That's exactly what I was thinking. As always, I must have missed something or are some people on a passport comission?

Are there any ports where you need to show your DL and birth certificate to return to the ship (or exit the ship for that matter) or is a DL always sufficient? That would be one additional concern that I would have if my DL had my married name and the BC had my maiden name. If that's the case, I would take my marriage license even if Carnival doesn't require it.

I AM NOT ASKING ABOUT PASSPORTS.

My question is specifically for women with their husbands sur-name that use a BC and DL. There are many women out there who do this that would like a definative answer as to what they need to bring as we are getting conflicting stories. The issue seems to come up when women are boarding Carnival and not when going through customs. It is not specified in Carnival's Documentation FAQ's nor is it a required document per WHTI. Since some women are being asked for it, we want to know if it is required and under what circumstances it is required so we can all have the proper documentation that Carnival needs. Passports are NOT the only way to go on closed-loop cruises. Those of us choosing not to get them should be aware of all the documentation that Carnival is requiring them to take, or not, as the case may be.

Are there any ports where you need to show your DL and birth certificate to return to the ship (or exit the ship for that matter) or is a DL always sufficient? That would be one additional concern that I would have if my DL had my married name and the BC had my maiden name. If that's the case, I would take my marriage license even if Carnival doesn't require it.

I've only taken my DL and S&S card off the ship with me.

Here's the response from Carnival...

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

:)

So, yep... you need your marriage license.

I have yet to need anything but my picture ID (DL) and S&S card.

proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

I would say no you DO NOT need the marriage license. The little two letter word "or" says that the valid driver's license serves as the bridging document proving the name change.

Doesn't of course mean that they can't ask for the marriage license any way. As we have all seen, it depends on the person checking you in and how they feel on that day.

proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license)or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

I would say no you DO NOT need the marriage license. The little two letter word "or" says that the valid driver's license serves as the bridging document proving the name change.

Doesn't of course mean that they can't ask for the marriage license any way. As we have all seen, it depends on the person checking you in and how they feel on that day.

Please don't muddy the waters... Carnival's position is that you must have the marriage license to rectify the disparity between the birth certificate and photo ID.

Telling people otherwise is generating a chance that someone may be turned away at the port.

Thanks.

I am REALLY confused by this issue!?! I don't get it. CCL is taking the position just like the airlines that your travel documents name must match the reservation name. Makes sense! It makes it easier for them for security purposes for checking. My SIL ran into a HUGE problem because they booked their international ticket under Amy instead of her legal name, Amelia. They had to buy a whole new ticket to get home from the Bahamas. It took hours for her to work it out. It was a mess!

That said, why would anyone leave the country without a passport?

Because they can! Very simple. It is NOT a requirement to have a passport on a closed loop cruise. A certified BC and DL is all that is needed.

But the Op was not asking about passports. She was asking about marriage licenses.

I'd take the marriage lic. just in case. Better to be safe than sorry. You get someone checking papers at the port with a stick up their butt that day & you show up with 2 names on 2 different ID's, then you may not get onboard.

Thanks Host Mach. I must agree though, that the "or" in their response does make their answer just as vague and unclear as their past actions (sometimes asking for it and sometimes not).:confused: However, based on your answer, I will take my ML out of the safe and bring it just in case Carnival decides I am the one they are checking that day. I wonder if my kid's birth certificates have acted as a bridge for me in the past since they both have my maiden name (listed as mother's maiden name) and my current name (listed as mother's name at time of birth) on them?

I took my first cruise in 1989 and my most recent this past March. I have never ever been asked for my marriage license. I don't even know where it is. As Kurb says, if your picture ID matches your boarding pass you are good. Women take their husband's name all the time. The only time this is an issue is for recently married people who have not amended their picture ID to match the name they're using. It really is that simple.

. The cruise lines only want to make sure you can get off the ship and not be stuck on it as you can not clear customs at the end of trip.

Oh tsk, you mean I could be stuck on the ship?:eek: Forever?:rolleyes: Tell me again what documents I need to do that.:D

Sewut

I took my first cruise in 1989 and my most recent this past March. I have never ever been asked for my marriage license. I don't even know where it is. As Kurb says, if your picture ID matches your boarding pass you are good. Women take their husband's name all the time. The only time this is an issue is for recently married people who have not amended their picture ID to match the name they're using. It really is that simple.

This is also important for people like me who use their middle name in every day life.. MAKESURE when you book that you use the name on your DL or Passport... I had an issue last December with a flight.. my MOTHER of all people booked my air and what did she do book it under the name I use not the NAME SHE GAVE ME LMAO.... :D

I AM NOT ASKING ABOUT PASSPORTS.

My question is specifically for women with their husbands sur-name that use a BC and DL. There are many women out there who do this that would like a definative answer as to what they need to bring as we are getting conflicting stories. The issue seems to come up when women are boarding Carnival and not when going through customs. It is not specified in Carnival's Documentation FAQ's nor is it a required document per WHTI. Since some women are being asked for it, we want to know if it is required and under what circumstances it is required so we can all have the proper documentation that Carnival needs. Passports are NOT the only way to go on closed-loop cruises. Those of us choosing not to get them should be aware of all the documentation that Carnival is requiring them to take, or not, as the case may be.

You also take the risk that some knucklehead at the port who doesn't know the rules or Carnival's regulations will try to deny you boarding and in so doing either raise your blood pressure by about two zillion percent (the good case) or actually keep you off the ship (the not-so-good case). Even if you got a refund of the cruise fare in the not-so-good case (which Carnival would not be obligated to give you), your vacation would be ruined. Worth it? I say no.

A lot of folks tying themselves up in knots over the BC/DL/ML/ROB/FDR/whatever have taken way more than enough cruises to have justified getting a passport but wear their refusal to do so like a badge of honor. But just look at the confusion...just on this thread! Even Host Mach (long may you wave, sir) can't say for sure what that little "or" in Carnival's policy really means when it's time to embark. If you cruise once a year for the life of your passport, the cost works out to about $10 per cruise, about the same cost as one froo-froo DOD with tip, and you get the pleasure of enjoying the light comedy served up by threads like this one.

Apparently not:D

No confusion for us. After we got married 7 years ago, I had to get a new DL (moved from NJ to FL), and all I had to do was show my birth certificate, my marriage license, and my social security card - voila! One DL in my married name! It takes a matter of minutes to get this done, and I can't see what the hubbub is about.

Instead of getting your panties in a bunch over the language of whether or not you need to show the marriage license, do yourself a favor and get the driver's license replaced showing the new married name. Either that or bite the bullet and spend the money on a passport in your married name. Yes one is not a requirement, but you never know when the government will announce that one is.

You also take the risk that some knucklehead at the port who doesn't know the rules or Carnival's regulations will try to deny you boarding and in so doing either raise your blood pressure by about two zillion percent (the good case) or actually keep you off the ship (the not-so-good case). Even if you got a refund of the cruise fare in the not-so-good case (which Carnival would not be obligated to give you), your vacation would be ruined. Worth it? I say no.

A lot of folks tying themselves up in knots over the BC/DL/ML/ROB/FDR/whatever have taken way more than enough cruises to have justified getting a passport but wear their refusal to do so like a badge of honor. But just look at the confusion...just on this thread! Even Host Mach (long may you wave, sir) can't say for sure what that little "or" in Carnival's policy really means when it's time to embark. If you cruise once a year for the life of your passport, the cost works out to about $10 per cruise, about the same cost as one froo-froo DOD with tip, and you get the pleasure of enjoying the light comedy served up by threads like this one.

I don't plan that far ahead. I don't know that I'm going to take a cruise once a year for the life of a passport. I only know for sure that I am taking a cruise in November that does not require a passport. Why would I invest $540 in passports for my family, for this one cruise, that does not require it?

I know I have the required certified BC and DL. This marriage license thing is pretty gray if you ask me. I have never been asked for one and as far as my understanding of WHTI and Carnivals own travel document FAQ's it doesn't look as if one is required. However Host Mach interpretation is that it is and there have been a few posters who swear that they have been asked for it even though their DL name was the same as their booking name. It doesn't take much for me to throw my marriage license in with my other documents to be on the safe side (unless I can get Carnival to confirm to me before hand that I don't need it)...It definately doesn't cost me $540 to do that simple thing.

I'm not tied up in knots over this. I would just like Carnival to have clear and specific rules concerning this and that they would enforce these rules consistently. I don't think that is too much to ask for since that one little document may mean the difference of someone being able to board or not.

I don't plan that far ahead. I don't know that I'm going to take a cruise once a year for the life of a passport. I only know for sure that I am taking a cruise in November that does not require a passport. Why would I invest $540 in passports for my family, for this one cruise, that does not require it?

I know I have the required certified BC and DL. This marriage license thing is pretty gray if you ask me. I have never been asked for one and as far as my understanding of WHTI and Carnivals own travel document FAQ's it doesn't look as if one is required. However Host Mach interpretation is that it is and there have been a few posters who swear that they have been asked for it even though their DL name was the same as their booking name. It doesn't take much for me to throw my marriage license in with my other documents to be on the safe side (unless I can get Carnival to confirm to me before hand that I don't need it)...It definately doesn't cost me $540 to do that simple thing.

I'm not tied up in knots over this. I would just like Carnival to have clear and specific rules concerning this and that they would enforce these rules consistently. I don't think that is too much to ask for since that one little document may mean the difference of someone being able to board or not.

This is the answer mach received:

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

It is the exact same thing you have been preaching from day one.

Archived