Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sea_u_onboard

Quick Review Rhapsody 5/30/04

I got back this past Sunday from a cruise on the Rhapsody--6/6 to 6/13. I have to say my boyfriend and I REALLY enjoyed the food. I think it must depend on your own tastes and perspective. We actually spoke to lots of people about the food on the ship and everyone said it was great--one person said it was much better than Carnival. Another person said RCCL was good but Celebrity was better on the food, but then we all remarked that this is what Celebrity is known for (and what you pay for!).

We had a highly efficient waiter named Aris from the Philippines. He wasn't the most charismatic guy in the world (some tables had waiters that seemed very entertaining) but he was very polite and never forgot anything we asked (extra glass of wine, more bread, etc.). He also checked with us every night to make sure we were happy.

Our assistant waiter Carlos was also very nice, although one time he mixed up my glass of wine with a tablemate's glass of wine. Fortunately the tablemate realized it and we just switched. Minor things like this don't bother me, though--we still tipped Carlos the full amount at the end of the cruise because he was so personable. He made us laugh many times.

The head waiter--a charming Italian man--came around every night and asked how our meal was. He also shelled our lobsters and shrimp, which was nice of him. One night I complained that a featured wine on the menu was no longer available, and the next night he gave me a complimentary glass of wine. Really nice guy--I know if I had had any problems he would've handled them.

The standout dishes at dinner in Edelweis were the lobster and shrimp (we got refills on the lobster!), the cucumber soup, cream-of-asparagus soup, curried vegetables, ribeye steak ... actually, every appetizer and nearly every main course we got in the Edelweis for dinner was wonderful. (The one main course I didn't like was a top round steak that was more like prime rib than I thought it would be.)

The desserts were also delicious, esp the banana parfait and tiramisu!

On the flip side, we ate in the Edelweis for lunch one day and I ordered an omelet that was only mediocre. Also the avocado soup at lunchtime had too much sour cream in it (although one lady at our table wanted seconds on that soup she liked it so much).

The Windjammer was the most hit-or-miss. We each got steak there on two different days that was mediocre. But I got honey-glazed chicken breast there that was delicious! Also good was the sweet potato soup with carmelized onions and the mac and cheese (we got seconds on that).

On breakfast, my boyfriend ordered room service one day and received an omelet that was rubbery b/c it had been sitting too long. I guess you could say we did not have a good experience with omelets!

Finally, coffee in Windjammer was way too strong while the Edelweiss coffee was perfect. I couldn't drink the Windjammer coffee--it was so burnt and thick. I had green tea the last two days on the ship.

This was our first cruise experience and we had an absolutely wonderful time on the Rhapsody! I hope all of you have just as good a time!

icon_cool.gif