mcgorr

legend resues sailors

I am on legend anddd 2 nights agothe shipreceived a mayday fromaship in distres.Being the nearest we went to its aid. The ship had to turn around quickly,an uncomfortable experience with a lot of damage to stock,cutlery etc but not to passengers. As we got near the ship we saw it sink. Helicopters arrived and we circled. Eventually little lights appeared in the oicean. We heard calls for help, saw people drifting by unable to get onboard. An unforgettable and heart wrenching experience. The rescue continued throughout the night, we saved 3 people, the coastguard and the helicopters 14, 1 dead and there were 4 missingwhen we last receuived an update. We saw empty rafts drift by, empty lifejackets and lots of debris. The rescued men were covered in oil but ok. We saw a plank of woodd which 2 men were clinging to but only 11 was reachable, the other drifted by uss! Heartbreaking!! ty We had to renegotiate our route due to a typhoon otherwise we would not have been near to help those we were able to. I'll never forget the experience. he captain and crew were fantastic never compromising our safety and keeping us fully informed. The captain cried with emotion when we applauded him next day at a private function. He kept us safe and rescued 3 people in 100 mile an hour winds. He also alerted the coastguard to others in the water, using the ship horn when he saw them waving to assure them they were seen. It was like being in a movie only with the raw emeiont.

This news is both heartbreaking and amazing. I can only imagine the different emotions you may be feeling right now. Gosh, everytime I think about my small problems, I am brought back to reality through someone elses experiences. Take time to talk through your feeling, but also embrace and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Wow! What an amazing experience. Thank you so much for sharing with us. It is miraculous that your ship was right where it needed to be.

Thanks

I am going on legend in a few weeks. Good to know that the captain did their duty and helped. I have heard before of cruise ships heading away in response to a call

Well done rcl- I imagine these sailors are men with families who will be so grateful.

Thank you McGorr for posting this...I can tell the experience was a very difficult one for everyone. I appreciate RCI and its' captains for caring about preserving life. After reading so many posts that involve 'whinning and complaining', this posts makes coming to CC worthwhile for me. Hope you get home safely...:)

Wow, what an amazing thing to do, just a shame that one person was lost and I am sure the Captain and crew and all emergency services done the best they could in what appears like very testing conditions.

It is very basic human nature to want to help others that are in danger or need help, something which in this day age seems to be disappearing from society in many ways, so great respect to all involved in this rescue mission.

Who is the current Captain on Legend out of interest, as if it is the same guy as it was when we cruised her a few years ago then he really is a true Gent.

The captain is norweigan, I am currently in hopng kong and cant remember his name. A guy with ginger hair. A real gent too. I'm so glad we are back safely and in future boy will I take note of everything at the muster drill.

Thank you for sharing your experience.... I am so glad that the captain was able to help in the rescue and make such a difference in so many lives. I hope those lost at sea were eventually rescued as well.

The captain is norweigan, I am currently in hopng kong and cant remember his name. A guy with ginger hair. A real gent too. I'm so glad we are back safely and in future boy will I take note of everything at the muster drill.

Yngvar Knutsen

Thank you for your first hand account of this amazing heart wrenching rescue. Something that will with you forever.

Kudos to RC for assisting with this rescue. My thoughts and prayers with the crew of the stricken ship.

here is some video i done from the ship got a bit of comantary from the captian.

we were up in the Viking lounge with Pauline and was very uncomftable with the ship listing a lot and bottles and glasses breaking everywhere.

The Ship went down in seconds as it was carring cement.

Will never forget the crys from the people in the water for help but couldnt do much to help as it was so rough im amazed that so many were rescued even after 2days someone else was rescued from the water alive.

the Captian and crew done a great job

Mark

What a heart wrenching experience you had to go through watching all this as it unfolded. But thanks to the Captain, his staff, the coast guard and the helicopter staff, some lives were saved.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Edited by lady_cruiser