Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5326jan

Anyone want to start a new weight loss group with me?

*sighs* Guess my last post was a real killjoy. Sorry about that. I guess I was in teacher "fix-it" mode. So ignore.

Exercise-wise, the last couple of days have been tough because I'm fighting some kind of cold/flu. Conversely, food hasn't been a problem, because I don't feel like eating. I'm glad though that I've been eating right for a couple of weeks now and taking a multi-vitamin. I'm REALLY hoping that whatever this disease is, it will quickly pass me by.

Tomorrow is my weigh in, so we'll see how I've done. Then I'm on to Quilt Festival tomorrow night, yay!!! If any of you are cruising through Galveston in late Oct. or early Nov., you really should come to the International Quilt Festival, it is amazing!!

So...anyone else have fun plans coming up?

What are you planning to do on your cruise that will make getting fit so worthwhile? We are planning to go snorkeling and climbing around Mayan ruins if possible. :)

Lisa, I don't think you're a kill-joy at all!!! It's nice to have cheerleaders, but this team needs a coach too! ;) I for one appreciate the reality check. Have fun at the quilt fest! Sounds like fun.

Cindy, green beans are my favorite. I put a little spray butter on them for flavor and they are very filling. I think that's what I'm having for dinner tonight. With...... chicken:o.... I'm allergic to seafood, so there's not a lot of variety in my protiens.

Hello everyone. I'd love to join in with this group also.

I've been sort of following WW and I've dropped 10lbs but I keep hovering at that loss. I just need to get serious about what I eat. I walk 4-6 days a week with the dog. For a while I was doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred 3 times a week. I love the results from that dvd, but I did something to my back and haven't been able to do it for a while.

We don't cruise again until 1/2012 but I have a few stepping stone type events coming up. My first goal is May 2011, my youngest son is graduating high school and I'd like to be fit and thinner by then. Second one is 10/2011 is our 25th anniversary. We don't have any plans, yet! I'd like to be at my goal by the cruise.

My stats are as follows:

5'4" medium frame

194 start

184 current

136 goal

Hello everyone. I'd love to join in with this group also.

I've been sort of following WW and I've dropped 10lbs but I keep hovering at that loss. I just need to get serious about what I eat. I walk 4-6 days a week with the dog. For a while I was doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred 3 times a week. I love the results from that dvd, but I did something to my back and haven't been able to do it for a while.

We don't cruise again until 1/2012 but I have a few stepping stone type events coming up. My first goal is May 2011, my youngest son is graduating high school and I'd like to be fit and thinner by then. Second one is 10/2011 is our 25th anniversary. We don't have any plans, yet! I'd like to be at my goal by the cruise.

My stats are as follows:

5'4" medium frame

194 start

184 current

136 goal

Welcome Shelwoj! I am also "sort of" following WW, but on Friday I am going back to my regular meetings. If I don't have the face to face accountability, I cheat myself. So... back to the scales. I really do feel more motivated and virtuous when I go.:o

I recently was watching Dr. Oz. He was talking about women in their 40's that start to gain weight in their mid section and can't lose weight. Boy is that me. I felt like he was talking about me. I'm going to try this nutritional product he talked about to speed up my metabolism. (L-arg.) something you get at the health food store. I can't remember how it's spelled. I'll have to look online and see if I can find it. Did anyone else see that episode?

I think my metabolism has just came to a screeching halt. After the surgery and losing the baby I think my body is confused and doesn't know what to do. Maybe I need a little furnace starter.

Our cruise is November 27th. I'm not trying to lose 50lbs in 4 weeks. Just a couple more would be great. But that next cruise we book I'm going to be smokin hot. heehee! A girl can dream. Wish you all the best this week!!

Andi

Hi Everyone,

Midweek slump is almost over, and soon the weekend shall be here!

Today was weigh in for me. I lost 1.2 lbs which puts me at exactly 5.4 lbs lost to date. (We won't mention whatever I did to inflate my original score just so that I'd have a higher number to brag on later. :p)

andiloveu, we actually talked about metabolism in WW this week. ...trying to remember what I learned...I was hungry at the time....what I got out of it was that muscle burns more calories than fat even when you are at rest. So, if you build up your muscles (don't worry about looking like a female Arnold, cause women don't easily bulk up like that), then even when you are sleeping you're burning lots more calories. One of the ladies at work told me that I should do strengthening/resistance exercises at least as often if not more often then cardio exercise--though I should still do cardio of course. The more muscle you have, the more your body is working for your weight loss, and not only that, but the more muscle you have the more cardio exercise you can do. At WW they explained that guys seem to lose weight so much easier because they naturally tend to have more muscles so they are burning more fat even when at rest. So unfair right? Even when guys are lazing on the couch, they're getting more out of it. My plan is to try and do strength exercises three times a week if I can. Course, coming out of an operation, you'll want to be careful and follow your doctor's advise. Good Luck!

Hi Everyone,

Midweek slump is almost over, and soon the weekend shall be here!

Today was weigh in for me. I lost 1.2 lbs which puts me at exactly 5.4 lbs lost to date. (We won't mention whatever I did to inflate my original score just so that I'd have a higher number to brag on later. :p)

andiloveu, we actually talked about metabolism in WW this week. ...trying to remember what I learned...I was hungry at the time....what I got out of it was that muscle burns more calories than fat even when you are at rest. So, if you build up your muscles (don't worry about looking like a female Arnold, cause women don't easily bulk up like that), then even when you are sleeping you're burning lots more calories. One of the ladies at work told me that I should do strengthening/resistance exercises at least as often if not more often then cardio exercise--though I should still do cardio of course. The more muscle you have, the more your body is working for your weight loss, and not only that, but the more muscle you have the more cardio exercise you can do. At WW they explained that guys seem to lose weight so much easier because they naturally tend to have more muscles so they are burning more fat even when at rest. So unfair right? Even when guys are lazing on the couch, they're getting more out of it. My plan is to try and do strength exercises three times a week if I can. Course, coming out of an operation, you'll want to be careful and follow your doctor's advise. Good Luck!

Thank you for the info. I will be doing more strength training and see what happens. I think I might still go see a doc and have everything checked out. I am turning 40 on Jan. 1st and think my body is going thru alot of changes. Plus all the trauma my body has been thru the last three months. It is amazing how strong we women can be going thru all we do. No man could compare. Thank you and keep up the good work.

I would like to join this new group as well. I have tried before to join other groups, but they were so well established that they did not encourage each other on weight loss (not a bad thing, they had become great friends :)) which I needed help with at the time.

I totally get the metabolism problems, as I suffer from that predicament. I turned 50 (yikes) this year. I find that the only way I seem to lose is to exercise 3 times a day. I lost before my last cruise doing that. I injured my foot and overindulged so I gained all that back. I just booked a cruise for April 11, 2011 and my goal is to lose 20 to 25 pounds by then.

I also began the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred again this week.

Sorry, posted on wrong thread. Just not my week. :o

Welcome anyway Weeza,!!! I think Halloween was a problem for many of us!!!:rolleyes:

Paris, that is exactly why this thread is going. We're all hoping for a new support group that will also become a group of friends. Welcome. "Getting old isn't for sissies" as Betty Davis always said... now I understand! It was about 45 that I noticed that my body would just say "you want me to do what???!!!!":mad: Now it just completely ignores me.

Lisa, congratulations AGAIN!!! Keep up the good work! Who cares that you cushioned the first weigh in. The minus sign is motivating, so as long as you weren't wearing combat boots and a full backpack, you are losing FAT!!! Yay!

Andi, You need to give your body and your mind time to heal. One of the first things in pregnancy is to store body fats and add fluid, so give yourself a break that it's not back to normal yet. Good luck with your strength training. And you are exactly right about men! It's why women have children... men would be whining the whole 9 months!;)

I went to the health food store today and bought L-arginine. Dr. Oz says it is good for women in their 40's for boosting metabolism. It is a amino acid. It says it supports the effect of exercise and is one of the most important amino acids involved in immune function. I am going to start taking it and see what happens. I also take a womens multi vit. and iron and calcium. So hopefully I'm covered in the vitamin world. I just have to remember to take all of them.

Andi

The last couple of days have been a struggle for me. My mom came to stay and she made this fabulous chili with pot roast...1 cup is 10 points. And the chili is so yummy, I keep going for more.

Then yesterday we went back to quilt festival. Probably I did okay. On Saturdays we don't eat regular meals because we all get up later . We eat more of a brunch then breakfast or lunch, and then we eat a midafternoon meal and maybe a late evening snack. On these days, my breakfast can/should be a big meal, because I won't eat very much for the rest of the day. Yesterday before quilt festival, we went to the hotel next to the Convention center for breakfast. I ordered off the menu rather than going to the buffet, which should have helped with portion control, but then my order came with so much food!!! :rolleyes: I've been afraid to figure out how many points that meal was worth!

I keep thinking that it will be easier once all of these events pass, but then I remember that we're coming up on the Christmas season and the events are only beginning! I've got to push myself to be good at events and odd occasions too. I'll miss the food, but I gotta think CRUISE!!!!

We walked around all day yesterday though, so maybe I somehow managed to burn it all off? :D I'm hoping. I usually don't exercise on Sundays, but maybe I'll go for a long walk.

Do I sound a touch obsessed to anyone else? I'm not really. I could talk forever about the super cute apron pattern I bought yesterday! :p

Hi all. Weigh in this morning, 3 more pounds off! thats a total of 10 for the 2 weeks I have been on Adkins. DH lost another 2. Now it will even out to 1-2 pounds a week and that is OK.

LNLisa: We have all been there! Unless you are in a big hurry to lose for something special, enjoy your mom's visit and food. Once in a great while I think you need to do that. Now if you have the same problem as I (not settling for a reasonable portion) that could be a problem, LOL! Just jump back on with a little longer exercise and don't beat yourself up to bad.

andiloveu: I would be curious to know how the L-arg is working for you. I read about it on the Dr. Oz website.

Hope everyone has a great week!! Cindy

Weigh in today, down 1.5lbs, for 20.5lbs total...hurray.

mamaboss: Way to go 3lbs, you rock !!!!!

andiloveu: I too would be very intersted to know how this product works for you.

5326jan: You are a great cheerleader and support, thanks. And I hope you had a great start over ;)

Thanks to everyone on here for the supoort and companionship along this journey. Here's to a great week...Cheers...

Virginia

I will start taking the L-arginine today. However, it says to take them on an empty stomach. I'm alittle nervous because I get sick taking anything on an empty stomach. But I will let everyone know how they work. Wishing everyone a good week.

Andi

Andi, let us know about the supplement Dr Oz recommended. I'd like my metabolism boosted!! Along with a few other things!;)

Lisa, I always loved when my mom would cook then at some point she started thinking baked beans (from a can) would be a good side dish for Thanksgiving.:eek: That's when I knew it was my turn to be the Mom that everyone wanted to cook. I always triple the amounts that we'll use so that I can send the kids home with plenty of leftovers! I'm glad that you had such a fun time with her! Mothers and Daughters have a very special bond.:)

Cindy, Well I think you must weigh before the scales wake up!!! Look at you! You're dropping the pounds like crazy! Congrats AGAIN!!!

Virginia, Thanks for the compliment!:) And CONGRATS to you too! Aren't we doing great? I think we've got a really nice group here.

We seem to be missing Parisbound, Shelwoj, Bplazo, Suzeque, Surf and Wendy! If y'all are there, come back! We're here for you if you're losing or not! We miss you!

I did have a pretty good week and lost 3 pounds. Yay me!:D

Keep up the good work, Ladies!!! You're AWESOME!!!

Jan, you are so good at keeping track of everything! I am so impressed.

Everyone is doing so good that I thought that I better be quiet although I did pass up some cookies that they had at work today and I am staying away from pop. One thing that I do is that I do not keep alot of snacks or food in the house. I also try to drink alot of water.

Good luck everyone!

Jan, you are so good at keeping track of everything! I am so impressed.

Everyone is doing so good that I thought that I better be quiet although I did pass up some cookies that they had at work today and I am staying away from pop. One thing that I do is that I do not keep alot of snacks or food in the house. I also try to drink alot of water.

Good luck everyone!

Bplazo, I'm so happy that you're still with us! Congrats on passing up the cookies. That's hard, especially if they are home made! I've sworn off soda because it made me too full of air....'nuff said.:rolleyes:

I do keep a CASE of propel water in my car. I don't like just plain water and this makes me think I'm having something good. I think sometimes when I feel hungry, it's really thirst. So it's easier to reach for another bottle of water then to stop at a fast food place and only get a drink.

Keep up the good work and check in when you can!

Another pound down!!! :D

Yay!!

That makes me really happy, cause I was a wee bit scared given my weekend.

We talked Thanksgiving dinner today at WW, and we even figured out how many points our dinner is going to be. I'm looking at 30 points, and I intend to enjoy everyone of those points! We also discussed recipes and stuff. (That's what I like about going to WW meetings, hearing other people's ideas.)

I'd love to see your recipes and food suggestions. For me, I am totally loving Splenda Brown Sugar. I think it's half brown sugar and half Splenda. For sure it works wonderfully!

One of my favorite side dishes is a recipe by Rachel Ray, Chili-Garlic Roasted Broccoli. I love the flavor of the baked broccoli, and I love the texture of the florets crispy. Plus this is a really easy recipe. RR uses 1/4 cup of olive oil, but I think you can reduce that to 1 or 2 tablespoons if you spray the pan with Pam Olive Oil. I always get a large ziplock bag, and put all the ingredients in the bag and shake them up so that the oil and spices coat the broccoli evenly.

Great job LNLisa! That recipe looks very good so I printed it out and will make it with our T-Bones DH bought for this weekend. Yum Yum! Went to Chili's with girls from work last night and had a ceasar salad with just grilled chicken so I hope that does not sabbatage me this week. I didn't taste any sugar but with carb counting you never know unless you make it yourself. Hope everyone is having a great weight loss week! Cindy

I lost a couple of pounds this week but I would'nt suggest doing it this way. Got the stomach flu. My whole family got it. This is the worst flu I've had in 6 years. I guess this bug that is going around is really bad. Alot of children from the school have been taken to the hospital for dehydration. My husband almost took me yesterday but I told him no way. I've had enough of the hospital this year.

I hope everyone stays healthy. Take care and have a great rest of the week.

Andi

Congratulations to everyone on their losses this week. Hurray!!!

Andi- I do hope you get feeling better soon :(

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Fri-Sun are my hardest days so I weigh in Monday mornings, helps keep me on track.

Suzque,

My vital stats are pretty close to yours. I'm 5'6" and 56 years old and have been up in the 180s although right now I'm down to around 155 and struggling to stay under 160. My goal is to get under 150. I too have a grandson expected in January, our first.

My diet sabatage is my DH, when he semi-retired and started being a house husband--we started eating OUT. We've had a lot of changes at work, my job literally doubled and the demands have increased expodentially. I've handled the increased stress with early a.m. workouts. During the summer it wasn't bad I could be out the door by 6:30 and get an hour walk in before work. Now with it being dark so early-I'm back at the gym but that means selecting what I'm going to wear to work the night before and getting the gym bag ready to go--we've only had one snow so far but that's another barrier to my getting out early.

On cruises I try to do a mile on deck in the morning and I take the stairs everywhere. Our cruise is in March.

All that goes to say I'll support you if you'll support my efforts!!

Hi Ladies,

Lisa, good job! MMMM Veggies! I love roasted veggies! Carrots, turnips, parsnips and beets roasted with a little olive oil, salt and pepper! Sooo good!

Poor Andi, it's bad enough when you get the flu by yourself and everyone can wait on you, but when everyone is sick, you still have to be the mom!:( I hope you feel better soon. And hey.... a loss is a loss! Not the best way to do it, but it's still gone.

Virginia, Weekends are hard for me too. I usually like my weigh in on Thursday. That gives me the week to make up for my mistakes over the weekend. Maybe if my weigh in day was Monday, I would have as many mistakes!:rolleyes:

Welcome Lefturn's Mom!!! We haven't seen suzeque for a few days. I hope she's still checking in with us. I have similar stats to your former self! I'm 57, 5'5" and did weigh about 188. Now I'm down to 178. That's awesome that you got down to where I want to go! How long did it take and what did you have to do to get there? I'm so glad that you found our thread!:)

Cindy, You are so smart!:D If I had gone to Chili's with a bunch of girlfriends I know I would have "mac'd out" on the chips and salsa. I do love their salads, but the chips would have killed my diet for a week!

I found this absolutely yummy and super easy appetizer recipe that I totally LOVE!!! Artichoke Tarts. They're only one point each. They look really cute and elegant too. Perfect party food. The only thing is, you don't want to actually bake them too far in advance. You could prepare the filling ahead of time though, and then it's easy-peasy to put them together to bake. Love these!!!

As per weekends, they are hard, aren't they? My Saturdays are very different from my Sundays, and I doubt that I'll ever get Sundays right. Saturdays, I'm starting to figure out. I wake up late, so I eat a late breakfast. Then I skip lunch because I don't get hungry again until 2 or almost 3 PM. So for dinner, at most I eat a snack. What I've figured out is that I can eat a really big meal for breakfast, and a somewhat big meal in the afternoon, and I'm happy all day. My Sundays on the other hand are really structured in the morning with church, like a work day, but then completely unstructured in the afternoons--prime snack time. I always have to work to be good on Sundays. A bit ironic, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Good luck everyone on your weekend plans!