Late Review - Jewel of the Seas Westbound Transatlantic

wrp96

Thanks for a wonderful review. We'll be on the Sept 2011 Jewel TA and your review just adds to our anticipation. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip.

I just tried to pull up the 2011 ta - but it says there are no available rooms! Could it really be full?

Kathy

Thank you for sharing your travelogue and photos. We are also sailing on the TA in 2011 and your review made us even more excited about going.

And we're happy that we booked early since it does appear that the sailing is pretty much sold out.

Kate

I just tried to pull up the 2011 ta - but it says there are no available rooms! Could it really be full?

Kathy

We reserved in March or April 2009 for this 2010 cruise. I know that by late 2009 it was virtually sold out. There were occasionally a few cabins available as people cancelled, with a little more availability (mostly interiors) after final payment. And the price for those interiors was higher than what we paid for our balcony.

This is a VERY popular itinerary; I believe it's due to the Iceland stops, as quite a few posters on our roll call stated that if the itinerary changed before final payment to drop Iceland, they'd be dropping the cruise.

I'm sure Wrona will correct me if I'm not remembering correctly, but I think it was around $1800 ppdo. Prices only went up after we booked, and by early this year, the few available interiors were going for something like $2100.

That isn't bad at all. Before the price drop that is what I was paying for 7 days on Oasis.

Thanks!

Thanks Wrona for a great recap of our shared adventure. The "Icy Jewels" were a fabulous group and we enjoyed sailing and touring with you. You've done a great job with the pictures! I'm still sorting...

and add me to the 'still working' crowd. We definitely were in the minority.

I hope we sail together again some day.

Gretchen

Roomie, if I remember correctly we paid around $1700 per person for a D1 balcony.

Kathy, as to kids onboard, if I heard correctly there were 18 children onboard. I think I saw most of them at one point or another and they all looked like they were having a blast. We met one couple with 3 young children who had troubles tearing their kids out of the kids club, so even with a small number of children the Adventure Ocean staff seemed to be doing a great job.

and add me to the 'still working' crowd. We definitely were in the minority.

I hope we sail together again some day.

Gretchen

Nothing wrong with being in the minority, right?:D Still had a blast.

Looking forward to future cruises.

Roomie, if I remember correctly we paid around $1700 per person for a D1 balcony.

WOW, that is a great price. I'm planning to book this TA cruise when the 2012 bookings open in the spring and I figured $1600pp for an Inside cabin. Good to know:D I'll be interested to see if the itinerary is the same as the 2011 TA.

Were you able to use the balcony much or was it too cold? I thought I would just get an inside; to save money and figured we wouldn't use it as it would be too cold.

Were you able to use the balcony much or was it too cold? I thought I would just get an inside; to save money and figured we wouldn't use it as it would be too cold.

Roomie will tell you I went out on the balcony almost every day, even if only for a few minutes to take a picture.:p Even if we couldn't sit out on the balcony, we usually kept the door open for fresh air.

On port days, when we got back to the ship we would go grab food and bring it back to the cabin to eat on the balcony.

Even though we could've been happy in an inside cabin, I think roomie will agree that a balcony was worth it.

Wrona, I loved reading your review! Those pictures of Iceland............wow! What an amazing landscape. I MUST get there, and SOON!

Thanks again. :)

Carol, the amazing part about Iceland is that the landscape was constantly changing. What we saw in Akureyri was different than what we saw near Lake Myvatn and that was different than what we saw on the Golden Circle tour and that was different that what we saw in Reykjavik. It was truly fascinating and beautiful.

For those of you lucky enough to do a westbound TA, consider flying Icelandair over to Europe. They offer an option to stopover in Iceland for the same price as flying direct to Europe. Roomie did this and was able to do the Golden Circle before our cruise plus a Reykjavik tour plus a stop at the Blue Lagoon (which I want to go back and try).

Wrona, thank you for refreshing all my memories of this wonderful cruise. It was great to meet you and Cindy and all the other fantastic Icy Jewels. No matter where we went on the ship we always had friends around us.

I am so glad we did this year's cruise because next year they are not going to Akureyri, and that was DH's favorite port of the whole cruise. I liked them all, but I would LOVE to go back to Ireland and do a land trip.

It's too bad your Beaches excursion ran into the little problem because we had quite a bit of time at Omaha Beach and in Ste Mere Egliese. We didn't go into Paris, but went to Honfleur instead, which was perfect for us.

I actually made a book (on my Mac) from my photos and gave it to DH for his birthday a few weeks ago and he loves it. A good way to relive the memories.

Hope to see you on another cruise someday!

Carol (friend of Ellen and Dana, and Ruth and Bert, etc.)

Roomie will tell you I went out on the balcony almost every day, even if only for a few minutes to take a picture.:p

Ah yes! The daily seas report! Look, the waves are (bigger, smaller, about the same) as they were yesterday! ;)

On port days, when we got back to the ship we would go grab food and bring it back to the cabin to eat on the balcony.

You forgot to mention watching the people coming back onboard. No good runners on this cruise (I am biting my tongue to avoid mentioning the canes). Top prize go to the people on the ship's excursion buses that were late getting back to the dock in Reykjavik - and instead of hurrying back on board, they leisurely strolled into the dock's gift shop! :eek:

Even though we could've been happy in an inside cabin, I think roomie will agree that a balcony was worth it.

:D yup! for a 2-week cruise, to be honest, the extra space was more of a blessing than the balcony itself... But the fresh air, and the ability to take pix of the ports we were sailing into whilst still in my jammies was - priceless!

Wrona, thank you for refreshing all my memories of this wonderful cruise. It was great to meet you and Cindy and all the other fantastic Icy Jewels. No matter where we went on the ship we always had friends around us.

Hope to see you on another cruise someday!

Carol (friend of Ellen and Dana, and Ruth and Bert, etc.)

Hope to see you on another cruise too!! Definitely couldn't go somewhere on the ship without running into friends.:) If you look through my pictures, one of the first pictures on the ship I caught Ellen - didn't even realize it until I was looking through the pictures post cruise.

Archived