Eastern v. Western Caribbean

Phishface

We've never been to the Caribbean, but are starting to shop for cruises in February on Celebrity. In the 5-7 day range they offer western and eastern intineraries. The western Caribbean cruises generally hit Cozumel and sometimes other Mexican ports or Grand Cayman. The eastern ports include Puerto Rico, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten.

Can anyone who's been on Caribbean help us by giving a sense as what differences there might be between the two itineraries in terms of atmosphere, scenery, or anything else to comes to mind that we might want to consider?

Thanks.

If you scroll down in this forum you will find at least one thread "eastern vs. western" that already has some responses. For me the main differfence is that Coz, Cayman etc. are more "beachy" ... i.e . great clear water for snorkeling, beach days etc. esp. if you go to Roatan which has some wonderful snorkeling. Eastern is more beaches but also a lot more shopping and other sightseeing and activities that don't involve the beach.

We've never been to the Caribbean, but are starting to shop for cruises in February on Celebrity. In the 5-7 day range they offer western and eastern intineraries. The western Caribbean cruises generally hit Cozumel and sometimes other Mexican ports or Grand Cayman. The eastern ports include Puerto Rico, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten.

Can anyone who's been on Caribbean help us by giving a sense as what differences there might be between the two itineraries in terms of atmosphere, scenery, or anything else to comes to mind that we might want to consider?

Thanks.

Western is generally pretty flat, so not as scenic. Yucatan ports have Mayan ruins, which are interesting.

If it were my first time I would choose Eastern. There's higher topography and therefore a more varied atmosphere and scenery.

Both itineraries have beaches and blue water and both are worthwhile.

• 1 year later...
Western is generally pretty flat, so not as scenic. Yucatan ports have Mayan ruins, which are interesting.

If it were my first time I would choose Eastern. There's higher topography and therefore a more varied atmosphere and scenery.

Both itineraries have beaches and blue water and both are worthwhile.

Thanks for posting this. We are exploring a first trip to the Caribbean, and this is a helpful perspective.

Archived