If You Like To Think Of The Star As A Good Ship...Do NOT Read This Review

SailorJack

Finally.... another entertaining, funny review! SailorJack, I've been waiting everyday since you boarded the Star to read your review. Kept checking a few times a day since Saturday. Thanks for the lovely pics. We'll be trying out Sabatinis now ;).

(pssst.... did you leave any special message on the Star for moi?:D)

Thanks Jack......Is Jill as prolific as you?

Jill's interests and talents (which far exceed mine) lie in other directions, although she has a lot of input into what goes into my reviews.:)

Without a doubt this is the best and funniest review I've read on these boards. Thankyou so much for the '5 Star ' entertainment, Sailorjack.

You are certainly welcome...glad you enjoyed it.

Darn you, SailorJack! I have been hooked on your reviews since the Nightmare Dream, but I'd overlooked the fact you were on the Star's last sailing. I'm embarking on the same itinerary on November 22, and you've totally ruined it for me! I will be looking out for Gamal, so thank you for that, but otherwise every place I go will pale in comparison to your adventures. I can't possibly hope to have nearly as much fun. I'm thinking I'll leave the guide and books behind and just print out your review to tell me what I should be experiencing... You are no gentleman, SailorJack! :D

You are, however, a man of great gifts. Thank you for sharing yet another of your adventures with us. I know I will be giggling frequently during my upcoming cruise thinking of your missive.

Thank you for the kind words, but I know you will have adventures of your own that will be uniquely yours. Enjoy your upcoming cruise! And write a review!

Finally.... another entertaining, funny review! SailorJack, I've been waiting everyday since you boarded the Star to read your review. Kept checking a few times a day since Saturday. Thanks for the lovely pics. We'll be trying out Sabatinis now ;).

(pssst.... did you leave any special message on the Star for moi?:D)

LOL...no special messages.:D And enjoy Sabatini's...just don't eat lunch that day!:)

You are looking at Fort Qaitbay built around 1480. It is in remarkable condition, but its significance is that it is built on the foundation of the Lighthouse of Alexandria - one of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World!

2668752270106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the Pillar of Pompey..the oldest standing structure in Alexandria. It sits atop a warren of passageways that held the overflow from the ancient Library of Alexandria and also served several other religious functions.

2071841650106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The Roman amplitheatre in Alexandria was relatively small and was used for musical events. There is no record of the Stones ever playing here however.

2297860900106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

SailorJack, it's a good thing I have never been on the Star so I have no preconceived impressions of the Star....good or bad. Therefore I did not hesitate to click on your review.

As soon as I started reading and read the reference to SailorJill, I knew immediately I was in for a great review as it jogged my memory of the other fabulous reviews I have read of yours in the past.

Thank you for sharing another brilliant account of your cruise with us.

SailorJack - back at it and even funnier than the last "review" of yours I read!!!!! Sure you don't want to put this talent to use and publish some of your tales?????!!!! I'm sure you'd sell a bunch!!

Thanks for the best laugh I've had in a long time!!! I'd love to cruise with you sometime!!

Cathi

Nothing booked yet, but we will be booking a Viking river cruise on the Yangtze River in the fall and a 7 day get-a-way cruise in the Caribbean at the end of January. We will probably also be looking at another Med cruise later in the Spring.

You?

Great review If you do the Yangtze I MUST get that review as having done this fabulous river trip there will be a great deal for you to write about in your usual tongue in cheek manner. By the way our mile is only 2.5 kilometers yours must be very tiring:eek::);):eek:;)

There is no bigger treat in Cruise Critic than a surprise Sailor Jack review! I loved it as always, and am pleased that there were no security issues requiring Ranger, Tank or Lula's presence.

Thanks so much!

Cathy

SailorJack, thanks for review, we are on Star next year around South America, I could not write such a story as yours, even about Star Princess, about anything even. Well done!

Yes my stomach is still groaning from Sabatinis on Crown last year, too much tucker in there, Sabatinis I mean, but no doubt will gorge again.

What a great review. I laughed so hard I cried and my sides hurt. I'm going to get my husband so he can read it as well, he'll love it.

If you are cruising in Jan. why don't you consider the Ruby 1/30/11, we'd love to sit and listen to your wonderful tales.

We approached Istanbul just about sunset.

2469279480106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the entrance to the famous Blue Mosque. Note that it is not blue. It is named for the beautiful blue tile work inside the Mosque.

2193508020106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the Bascilica Cistern. It held 100,000 tons of water in its day. It is best known to people from the movie From Russia with Love - when James Bond went down into the cistern to row over to the Russian embassy. Note the fish...they are kept there to eat the algae. Some of them are HUGE!

2261867330106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

What a great review. I laughed so hard I cried and my sides hurt. I'm going to get my husband so he can read it as well, he'll love it.

If you are cruising in Jan. why don't you consider the Ruby 1/30/11, we'd love to sit and listen to your wonderful tales.

Glad you enjoyed it. We will be taking a cruise at the end of Januay, but have not yet picked one - so who knows.:)

SailorJack, thanks for review, we are on Star next year around South America, I could not write such a story as yours, even about Star Princess, about anything even. Well done!

Yes my stomach is still groaning from Sabatinis on Crown last year, too much tucker in there, Sabatinis I mean, but no doubt will gorge again.

Definetly a LOT of food. We did the South American cruise a couple of years ago and it was one of our favorites. A great itinerary. I know you will enjoy it. If you haven't read it, a link to my review of that cruise on the Dream is in my signature.

Having booked our next cruise on Star Princess I was a little concerned to read that it was not a good ship, read your review and fortunately my concerns have disappeared.

We did the marathon eating contest (aka Sabatini's) on the Grand, I swear my waist expanded several inches during that meal:D

Great review.

"...........had spent several weeks with the Biscotti tribe and so fell in love with this cornmeal cookie that the great Biscotti chief, Lleen-goo-inni, had the recipe written down and presented it (along with several other traditional tribal recipes) to Amerigo – which he took back to his hometown of Florence."

"Lleen-goo-inni"!!!

Can't

Stop

Laughing!

Well written.

SailorJack - back at it and even funnier than the last "review" of yours I read!!!!! Sure you don't want to put this talent to use and publish some of your tales?????!!!! I'm sure you'd sell a bunch!!

Thanks for the best laugh I've had in a long time!!! I'd love to cruise with you sometime!!

Cathi

Cathi, I totally agree. I would run, not walk, to buy a book by SailorJack. Pretty please SailorJack, won't you consider it? I know the CC population would buy it!!!

Janette

I adore your writing style...please consider a career in travel writing. You make every step in your day a joy for those who read your reviews. Thanks a million!!!!

ps: I was on the Star to the Baltics this summer and thought it was a very nice ship!

Skip the travel writing...Captain Jack should do stand up comedy in the Princess Theatre!

If he can tell his tales (especially with slides), as well as he writes them on CC; then he would be way more amusing than 90 percent of the entertainers I have seen on ships.

I would love to see a slide of Gamel the camel, so I know which beast to avoid like the plague.

Skip the travel writing...Captain Jack should do stand up comedy in the Princess Theatre!

If he can tell his tales (especially with slides), as well as he writes them on CC; then he would be way more amusing than 90 percent of the entertainers I have seen on ships.

I would love to see a slide of Gamel the camel, so I know which beast to avoid like the plague.

They'd have to sell tickets and boy would they get snapped up fast!!!!!!

Archived