How do I get from Southampton to Rome?

colkeena

I'm reading that your cruise from Rome is the day after your first cruise finishes in Southampton. Flying is your only sensible option (there is possibly a rail option if you have a problem with flying, I haven't checked the times)

You should be able to disembark about 8am no probs, earlier with priority & schlepping your own luggage.

There aren't any direct, or even useable indirect, flights to Rome from either Southampton or nearby Bournemouth.

Plenty of Rome flights from London Heathrow (about 90 mins from Southampton) or London Gatwick (about 2hrs).

For european flights check-in can be anywhere between 40 mins & 2 hours (check the airline website) but 40 mins is very tight because of lines for security checks.

Depending on check-in times, your airport, and your mode of transport to the airport, aim for a flight-time after mid-day.

Rome time is 1 hour ahead of UK time, year-round. So using local times, a 2 1/2 hour flight will arrive 3 1/2 hours after it departed, if you get my drift.

Best public transport from Southampton is by coach to Heathrow

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

or by train to Gatwick

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query

Add 10 mins/max £10 for a taxi from your ship to the rail or coach station.

Private transfers from the quayside cost about £85 for a car to Heathrow, about £100 to Gatwick.

Cunard provide coach transfers to Heathrow & Gatwick from the quayside, earliest arrivals are usually around 9.30am Heathrow, 10am Gatwick

Best to fly to Rome on day one so that you're fairly near your ship the day before it sails, and anyway airport hotels are soul-less. Southampton to a Rome hotel should be comfortably easy travelling on day one, & will give you an evening & morning in the city before catching a train to the port at Civitavecchia (about an hour, 2/3 trains per hour, very cheap) & since you have luggage a short taxi hop to the ship.

John Bull

Archived