A little Progresso Help, please!

tinsel57

My daughter will just turn 21 before she and her roommates board the Elation for their first cruise experience. She and I are both a little concerned regarding this port and we'd love some input and suggestions.

They're not into history so the ruins don't excite them, if it's that long walk for cave tubing, she can't do it, has had ankle reconstruction surgery twice.

They had been really interesting in doing some sea fishing but I dont' see this option.

They're already snorkeling in Cozumel so don't want to do that here.

She said they'll just do the Cornona beach but I honestly don't know what to think, the reviews vary tremendously from sea sand lice and pushy vendors all over you and murky water to lovely, a delight...

I am about ready to tell her to stay on the boat!

Suggestions??

Research the beautiful city of Merida. Everyone looks for something different. Some think Cozumel and Cancun are Mexico. Ha! Some want to experience the foreign culture of a port. Some just want cheap beer. True the water is not of the Caribbean variety and very clear. But it's not in the Caribbean. It's the gulf. Kind of like the US east coast or the rest of the Gulf of Mexico. There are many positive posts here. It all depends on your daughter's interests, and you would know best what those are. I have hopes of spending another two weeks in Merida and a couple of smaller towns in the fall. Merida has a population of 900,000, four universities and the state capitol. Lots of sidewalk cafes and the Paseo Montejo is a very wide European type blvd. And the prettiest Walmart I've seen anywhere.

On this page, some time back, there is a tour company that I think offers tours. Merida is one of the safest cities I've visited anywhere. Most of the police in the central city don't even carry sidearms. Not at all like the crime situation in Mexico City. The people in Merida are very proud of their history and culture. Bus transportation is readily available and reasonable. Thirty to forty minute ride to Merida. The terminal is 3 blocks from the Central Plaza.

If you would like to see the city, email me at hdawson228@aol.com

• 1 month later...

I was just there with my family, and I'm 22. My brothers and I had a great time people-watching and exploring the beach/restaurants/shops while we were there. Yes, the vendors are annoying, but all you have to do is say no thanks in spanish and don't look at them... they get the hint. I liked the ocean... not as pretty as other parts of Mexico, but it is much cheaper than the other cities like Cancun.

I would recommend going to Merida. It was a beautiful city with lots to see. The main plaza is usually busy with people so it's fun to hang out there. Also, there is usually some type of music in the plaza at night, and people dance on the streets.

It was fun. The ruins are way more interesting than your daughter might think. I know I was impressed and I didn't even want to go at first.

Archived