Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

I am waiting for the"its in the cruise contract that fires happen and we may be dead in the water but no refunds" people to show up.:)

I am sure Carnival will handle this well...I am sure any cruise line would. Just need to wait and see...There will always be those people you cant please under any circumstance.

Technically they will be walking across the US-Mexico border if the ship docks in Ensenada, so if they went with a BC instead of a PP, they should be ok. I wonder if the necessary repairs can be completed before next Sunday?

David

Passports are required for land crossings from Mexico and Canada.

coasty ,one report said 2 passengers and 1 crew suffered panic attacks and the other reported no injuries . Either way the sea gods were watching over that ship . Cause when something goes wrong in the engine room someone usually gets hurt

A bucket of water in the face will cure most panic attacks. Engine room fires are death traps in most cases. Very lucky so far.

Can you all believe this.....there has been nothing but bad karma on that ship lately...crew member airlifted off in critical condition...another committing suicide, lots of unhappy couples who seem to want to end relationships disgruntled passengers...yesterday the elevators were out of service...Poor John..at least he has something to write about in his facebook and blogs.

Can you all believe this.....there has been nothing but bad karma on that ship lately...crew member airlifted off in critical condition...another committing suicide, lots of unhappy couples who seem to want to end relationships disgruntled passengers...yesterday the elevators were out of service...Poor John..at least he has something to write about in his facebook and blogs.

Not to mention the pier-kissing incidents last year...

I bet alot of this stuff happens often but John is on there and is able to blog about it. Although I have ready his blog for a couple years now and I can not remember him having to deal with this much. I was on the sailing where the crew member jumped. They handled it very well.

So how many tugs are enroute to tow that rust bucket into port?

I'm thinking that with no electricity for refrigeration, this would be a good time to break out the charcoal grills on deck and get to cooking things before they spoil!

BTW - as long as it is free, warm beer is OK by me. Heck it would have to be free since the S&S computers would not be working!

And the list of the Splendor's mishaps grows longer...

I was on her last year when she hit a dock in PV and we had to stay overnight for repairs (missing Mazatlan). Then the captain fell while inspecting the repairs, and he was pretty banged up.

I used to laugh about the posts that talked about curses, but now I wonder... ;)

In the event it has not been posted, here's Carnival's official statement regarding the incident:

Miami, FL -- November 8, 2010 (12.15 pm EST) -- At approximately 6 am this morning (U.S. Pacific Standard Time), a fire was detected in the aft engine room aboard the cruise ship Carnival Splendor. The fire has been extinguished however there continues to be smoke in the area and the ship’s fire crews remain on the scene.

No injuries to guests or crew have been reported. Announcements began at approximately 6.30am advising guests of the situation and asking them to move from their cabins to the ship’s Lido Deck, which is an upper level deck with outdoor space.

Currently the ship is operating on emergency generators. The ship’s crew are working to re-start one of the vessel’s main generators in the forward engine room. Guests are being provided with bottled water and food items and are able to move around on the ship’s upper open deck areas.

Currently, the vessel is located approximately 55 miles west of Punta San Jacinto, Mexico and sea conditions are calm and skies are clear. The vessel’s command is in contact with the U.S. Coast Guard.

Carnival Splendor was on the first leg of a seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise that departed yesterday, Nov. 7, from Long Beach, Calif. Today was a scheduled day at sea. The ship’s normal itinerary includes stops in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. The ship, which measures 113,000 gross registered tons and first entered service in July 2008, is carrying 3,299 guests and 1167 crew.

I wonder how much of this is just a normal part of cruise ship life, and you just rarely hear about? Sure fires aren't common, but I am sure med-evacs are, elevators not working, etc.

So how many tugs are enroute to tow that rust bucket into port?

I'm thinking that with no electricity for refrigeration, this would be a good time to break out the charcoal grills on deck and get to cooking things before they spoil!

BTW - as long as it is free, warm beer is OK by me. Heck it would have to be free since the S&S computers would not be working!

Free beer on Carnival? Come on you know that ain't going to happen. Those folks will be lucky to get any sort of decent refund.

All that I want to say is yesterday the elevator outage was intentional because the coast guard required them to run a test that required them to be taken out of service.

It is interesting to note that John has not posted on Facebook in almost 14 hours which is a long time for him.

Something tells me that repairs are going to take a drydock. If I had reservations within the next 60 - 90 days I would be searching for alternatives, especially for a wedding.

Let's just hope that everyone is safe, fires at sea are the worst possible emergency that can occur.

Hats off to the USCG for protecting all of us on this Veteran's Day week.

the elevators were working. they had to temporary put them out of service to complete an inspection

Strange how all of this happens AFTER an inspection

And the list of the Splendor's mishaps grows longer...

I was on her last year when she hit a dock in PV and we had to stay overnight for repairs (missing Mazatlan). Then the captain fell while inspecting the repairs, and he was pretty banged up.

I used to laugh about the posts that talked about curses, but now I wonder... ;)

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, but that "Is the Splendor Cursed" thread brought back memories.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1098655&highlight=splendor+cursed

Free beer on Carnival? Come on you know that ain't going to happen. Those folks will be lucky to get any sort of decent refund.

All I'm saying is that is the best way to keep the natives from getting restless.

People who drink are happy and not apt to go looking for a windfall ;)!

You're right.. I am sure the disgruntled passengers and unhappy domestics happen on every ship..but still....it kinda makes you wonder....LOL

Just goes to show... you can NEVER make definite plans on a cruise ship. Too many variables that can cause any number of problems!

the elevators were working. they had to temporary put them out of service to complete an inspection

Strange how all of this happens AFTER an inspection

Of the generators, to quote JH

"Here on board I am annoyed. USCG decided they wanted to see a geneator test which means in the middle of embarkation with 1000 plus onboard we had to stop the elevators for 30 minutes."

Archived