• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Princess food vs Celebrity food

Nightshade

I know there are many people who had a chance to enjoy multiple cruises on different lines.

My husband & I just came back from Southern Carribean Cruise - Celebrity- Constallation and we're looking forward to our vacation in May, trying to find out more facts about the Princess line. The first ship on our list is the Carribean Princess.

Here is a little background on us. We're in our late 20s, don't have children and enjoy fine dining. We don't mind spending money in 5 star restaurants once in a while and that's why having gourmet quality food is very important to us. We were very impressed with the food on the Constellation. Loved all the cream soups, delicious meat & fish entrees, amazing desserts, and Cova cafe pastries... had the best steak and Grand Marnier souflee at the specialty restaurant 'Ocean Liners'. We visited the buffet only for breakfast.

We're wondering if Princess cruises, especially the Carribean Princess ship, can provide the same dining experience as we had with the Celebrity on the Constallation...

If anyone can comment on this topic, based on their own experience, we'll appreciate your help. Thank you.

We just returned from a New Zealand/ Australian land cruise with Princess on the Sapphire one of their newest ships.We've cruised with Celebtity 5 times (6th booked to Baltic in Aug) and Princess twice.The food and service on Celebrity blows Princess away.Princess doesn't compare with service and the buffet area is so crowded and unorganized you'll end up going to the sit down to get warm food.We've cruised 13 times going on 14 and Celebrity in our eyes outshines Princess in too many areas to even compare.The special resturant Sabbetti's is excellant & the surcharge is $20 P.P.

In summary the little things you get used to with Celebrity isn't there with Princess.This will probably be our last Princess cruise I believe some of the Carnival ownership is filtering thru to Princess.

I don't know and can't comment since I have never cruised Celebrity but I was always led to believe that Celebrity's product was vastly superior to Princess's in this regard but I have read many rather negative comments regarding the food.I know you can't always believe everything you read but the comments have been...how shall we say...less than glowing?

I have never had a problem with the food quality and presentation aboard a Princess ship and we recently came off of a excellent experience on the Sun Princess.I will agree that the Horizon Court is a bit of a disappointment but there are always other alternatives available.

All in all,I don't think you'll be disappointed with the food.I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

I honestly don't understand the big deal about Celebrity's food. Other than the fact that they may have some more "interesting" choices on the menu. We find the service and food quality on Princess and Celebrity quite similiar. I actually enjoyed the appetizers on Princess more. You can never expect 5 star quality meals on any mainstream cruise line (maybe on Radisson or Crystal). I would say Princess has more options, it is more flexible dining. One thing that sets Celebrity apart is that Celebrity's speciality restaurants are much more elegant and the food is better. But we did eat at Sterlings and enjoyed our filets (everyone cleaned their plates).

I found that the soups on celebrity were better, some of the meat dishes and the salads. I enjoyed the seafood, appetizers and desserts on Princess (they have some great ones if you enjoy chocolate). I think the biggest difference may be the ambience. We went on the Caribbean Princess for New Years and turned our "anytime" dining into traditional and loved our waiters and service, but i did miss the grand dining room that the Millie and other Celebrity ships we have cruised offered (Galaxy, Century). We never used the buffet to eat dinner on CB, but thought that their lunch buffet far surpassed Celbrity. Celebrity's room service was better though.

Sorry if I confused you, but my final thought is that you can't go wrong on either line. I would say look at the itinerary, price, time of year you want to travel, and cabin and availabilty and make your choice. I did notice you are around my age and I have to say that I preferred that the drink prices were much lower on Princess!

I haven't cruised with Celebrity yet either. From what I've read, most posters will say that Celebrity's food is somewhat better than that of Princess. On the other hand, I like good food, and like to go to good restaurants too and I've never had bad food on a Princess cruise. I've found that Princess's dining room food has been excellent overall. I think you'll enjoy your cruise with Princess, you might find you like them more, but just keep an open mind and remember, you're on vacation, don't stress out, enjoy yourself.

My wife and I returned from our first Princess cruise on the Sun Feb 7. We have cruised Celebrity five times. My sister was on the Constellation twice last year and has cruised Celebrity 7-8 times and was with us on the Sun.

We judged the food in the main dining room on the Sun to be equal to our Celebrity experiences. The desserts were better on the Sun and I felt that the soups were much better than Celebrity.

We did not like the Horizon (buffet) on Sun Princess. We felt the food and the set-up was better on Celebrity.

Last year on the Summit, we dined in the Normandie, and found the food there to be excellent. The Sun didn't have anything to compare.

Just our opinon and experience.

David

I loved the food and dining experience at Ocean Liners on the Constellation.:D Definitely the best cruise meal I've had to date. I like the buffet selections much better on Princess. For regular dining room service and food they seem equal to me. It really depends on your wait team. We often choose Princess over Celebrity since we really like personal choice dining.

Laura

I was just on the Caribbean Princess (New Year's cruise) and was on Constellation in August 2003. In my opinion, the entire dining experience including the food was far superior on Constellation.

We had PC dining on Caribbean Princess which, like MiamiNicole, we turned into "traditional" same table and time every night. The service was mediocre and the food not much better (although the lobster tails were the best I've ever had on a ship or land!) Many nights I ended up ordering off the "always available menu" (the fettucine alfredo is fabulous) because nothing looked good to me. (And I'm not a fussy eater) A number of dishes were sent back from our table of 11 during the week because they were cold or inedible. Our meal in the Sterling Steak House wasn't very good either and the Horizon Cafe was pretty bad. (Although at lunch there's better/more interesting food in the Cafe Caribe behind the Horizon - unfortunately, I didn't figure that out until Thursday!)

This was the New Year's cruise which was packed to the gills so it might have been an off week, but I have to say I'm happy I booked Summit for my Alaska cruise this summer.

Happy sailing!

Joanie

We've sailed on Celebrity three times (Galaxy, Mercury, Summit) and once on Princess (the Caribbean Princess last month). I think our trip on the Summit would be comparable to your Constellation experience.

We were very happy with the food on the Carribean Princess. We loved Anytime Dining (it's the main reason we decided to try a Princess ship).

The food on Princess was good, but just a notch lower than Celebrity.

On Celebrity, in the buffet, you start at one end and come out the other, passing all the food. And there's almost always a waiter to carry your wife's tray to a table. Many other waiters cleaning tables. On Princess the buffet is made up of four or five sections...everyone wanders around looking at the selections...it seemed like chaos to us. No waiters to carry your wife's tray, few waiters cleaing tables, so tables sat "dirty" longer.

If you're anxious to try an almost new ship, and Anytime Dining...give Princess a try. If the ship being new doesn't matter, or you want traditional dining...stick with Celebrity.

We have sailed both Princess and Celebrity several times and loved them both. In our opinion, the food is comparable in quality but different in presentation. Princess is less ostentatious, less complicated --- you may get a good quality cut of prime rib with an excellent baked potato, on Celebrity it would likely have a fancy sauce and an ornate potato (their birds nest, with small potatoes nestled on a nest made from fried potatoes, was great.) We would sail with either line, but we do favor the anytime dining on Princess and the longer dining times --- pizza and the grill are both open all day on Princess where on Celebrity, they alternated. Just our opinion, but you can't go wrong with either line ---

We have also sailed both lines. I had heard great things about Celebrity's food and maybe my expectations were too high but I didn't find Celebrity's food any better then Holland or Princess. If given a choice, I would choose Holland and Princess before I sail Celebrity again.

I have sailed on both and definitely preferred Princess. Crew seemed to be having fun where celebrity was like going to a museum. Especially in the dining room. Food - I preferred Princess, I like the themes and more choices. Food was more my style and the menus explained what things were much better. On Celebrity the only items that are explained are the chefs choice or captains choice (I forget what it is called). I also liked the cooking at the table. None on celebrity. Service - the only thing I could tell was on celebrity trays are carried for women in the buffet. Everything else was the same.

We've done 6 weeks on Princess and 3 1/2 weeks on Celebrity since last November. Without question, the Galaxy had the best food (and service). The Sapphire Princess was better than the Grand Princess, and the Grand Princess was still pretty good. But Celebrity is waaaayyyy above Princess in food quality, in the dining room and especially in the buffet.

With regards to the crew, my husband (who is usually oblivious to this sort of thing) couldn't get over how unfriendly the Grand Princess waitstaff was compared to the Galaxy. However, I found the waitstaff on the Sapphire Princess crew to be very friendly. It's just that the service on the Galaxy was really superb.

As long as we're voting, I vote for Celebrity for most of the reasons stated by others. Last year we were on Celebrity Infinity 36 days on 3 cruises and the food and service was fabulous. We also sailed 2 days on the Sapphire Princess just to try it. There we ate at the Stirling Steakhouse both nights and had the prime rib and onion rings - excellent, but the service didn't even come close to Celebrity's. I was also frustrated with the crazy setup in the buffet for breakfast and lunch. We're going to try the Coral in May and see if it is any better.

As far as the crew is concerned, on Celebrity we had a blast with the crew. Everyone was so friendly and cheerful from the waiters to the Captain!!!

Having sailed both Princess and Celebrity...Celebrity being the most recent...I enjoyed Princess and the food selections much more than Celebrity. There were a couple of nights (11 night cruise) that I looked at the menu and wished for something that looked familiar...other than beef. We might needed to have eaten in the dining room at lunch while on the Galaxy because we certainly didn't like the selections at the buffet. We did discover the sandwich line (outside by the pool) and ate there. We were with 4 other couples, one who had cruise with us on Princess, and they felt Princess food was better. But, having said all that, I'd be jump at the chance to cruise on any ship...food is not the main reason we sail.

Hi Nightshade:

You can always hit a bad cruise where the food is awful...it happens. I think you get a better (more informed) opinion from pax who have cruised each line more than 3 times. To say that you cruised Celebrity 1 time and had awful food is not a good indication of the entire Celebrity fleet. The same applies to Princess. Some cruises are better than others and some ships can be worse than others on any given cruise...for a variety of reasons. Like the weather...cruise ship food can change quickly.

ROSS

Many times cruiser on Princess, and once on Celebity's Mercury.

Gross generalization: Food and its presentation better on Celebrity. Celebrity currently close to what Princess was 10 or so years ago.

If one is used to "fine dining", I think Celebrity comes closer than Princess, although I don't think either line reaches that standard.

I've never sailed Celebrity so won't comment.

I've sailed 7 times with Princess. Why do I keep going back?

The food is good to very good. not gourmet. Few people cook as well as I do, not to brag ...LOL...so I can make terrific food anytime. On the two occasions I've ordered something I didn't like, the head waiter has always asked what the problem was and what I would prefer. (Usually nothing because I've already eaten too much!)

With one exception, I've always been made to feel that I was at the only table being served by the waiter and his assistant. The exception forced us to try the 4 beautiful dining rooms on the Diamond. Now that's a silver lining!

The dining room food on our two Celebrity cruises was a notch above the food on Princess. I also like that Celebrity still has a wine steward instead of adding duties to your waiters. I think Princess has a better buffet with better selections. Princess does a formal afternoon tea every day. And Princess does souffles in the dining room and not just the specialty restaurants.

I have sailed both lines I would have to give the food edge to celebrity. But by no means was the food bad on princess.

We are going on the CP this september and for the first time we are trying the personal chioce. My DW and I will be celebrating our 40th wedding Anniversary. It will be a family affair My 3 sons and there wifes and my 8 wonderful grand children. jcike

It's subjective. It's like looking at a painting or listening to music. One person will like it, another will love it, one will have no feelings about it, one person will dislike it, another person will hate it.

I've been on both cruiselines, and I thought the food was interchangeable. Blindfold me and I wouldn't know the difference.

As for service, I had the most heinous service ever on Celebrity, but I am going to assume that it was just the luck of the draw, and I got a bad waiter that is not indicative of the cruise line as a whole.

I've sailed several times on both and my one-sentence answer to people who ask me this question is the food is slightly better on Celebrity but you'll have more fun eating it on Princess.

The longer answer is that dining on Celebrity is a bit more formal so if you like formal dining than you would tend to favor Celebrity. The specialty restaurants on Celebrity combine food, atmosphere and service. The speciality restaurants on Princess are more of a food experience than a fine dining experience.

Meals on Celebrity are at defined times. On Princess, food is available 24 hours a day and they have personal choice dining if you don't want to eat dinner at 6p or 8:30p every night.

Both cruise lines are excellent. Good luck. Tom.

Archived