resorts/beaches for a day in Mexico

kizzmequik

With any luck we will be on the March 6th sailing of the Splendor. We would like to spend at least one day maybe 2 at a resort or nice beach. We do not really want to do an excursion with Carnival as there are 6 adults and it just gets very pricey. I have been on 13 cruises but this will be just my 2nd to Mexico. So....my question is does anyone know what resorts will allow you to pay to use them for a day? Or what are the best beaches to try? Thank you in advance for your help.

We were on the same cruise last March. Four of us chose to go to Dreams in Puerto Vallarta. The cost was approximately $60 pp which we paid once we got there via cab for about $10 total. If my memory serves me correctly we could stay from 12-5 or 6. I emailed the resort ahead of time just to confirm the particulars. It isn't a large resort but is quite nice and was quite quiet while we were there. The drinks and food were great. It was a very relaxing day. After being on the ship it felt weird not to have to pass over a card when we wanted a drink.

In PV we always walk down to the Krystal Vallarta, it is a short walk from the ship and they welcome cruise guests for free. You can use their bathrooms and buy food and drinks while you are there.

I stayed at the NH Krystal earlier this year when I was in PV and I love that hotel! Very beautiful with lots of fountain "ruins". Very neat. However, I will say I was not a huge fan of their food (specifically the buffet) so I'd recommend eating before you go. But definitely check it out the grounds and enjoy the beach.

In Cabo I recently stayed at the Riu Santa Fe and I believe that's the closest resort to where the boat is there. You could probably contact them for a day pass and use both Riu resorts' facilities (Riu Palace is right next door, literally touching Riu Santa Fe). However, in Cabo I would recommend going out to Lover's Beach and then go into town. It's a very clean city with lots to do!

When you get off the ship just go to shore and find any boat. It's usually $10/pp to get out to Lover's Beach if Carnival doesn't offer something out there. And town you can pretty much just walk to or take a short cab ride probably for just a few bucks/pp. Check out the Corner Bar for the Mamarita. :)

I am a Puerto Vallarta lover!! Depending on how long your stay is, and if you've never been there, I would definitely recommend you go to downtown/old town to visit - PV has so much to offer in terms of culture, fantastic restaurants, markets etc.... just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

Mazatlan is a good choice for an all-inlcusive. I don't recall the name of the resort we stayed at, but once you get off the ship there are signs everywhere for this resort. Very nice all-inclusive on the beach with a great pool, food and libations. I believe it was something like $30 per person for the day.

Archived