HAL's standard policy on upgrade/upsell offers

DutchByAssociation

It may on occasion occur and would just be an offer, but likely not unless others have already been offered and not taken advantage. My understanding though is that this would not be the typical process

DBA I understand you work for HAL but in all cases if I have a client choose a specific cabin I mark it DO NOT UPGRADE, I can tell you that I have received numerous email UPSELL offers on many of them and it comes out the same time others that had a Guarantee also get the same email UPSELL. This week with the Oosterdam was a perfect example I received quite a few offers, a couple of them were marked Do Not Upgrade. I do this frequently with those who have good spots on the Vista Class in a SY cabin and do not want the Upgrade to a SS under the Lido Pool. I received an upgrade offer on one of these last week the same time another one in the SZ Guarantee. These emails came exactly at the same time. The one with the SY Do Not Upgrade is even a CC member that specifically did not want to be under the Lido Pool.

Not to be argumentative but the fact is for the UPSELL OFFERS they DO go to everyone in a specified category.

Hi Bill,

For the most part I think your "all or nothing" scenario is a good one BUT even if you have "no upgrade" selected you (or your TA if you booked through one) can call up in the final 30 days prior and ask if there are any special paid upgrade you can be considered for. They can check with the appropriate department (however you might still be told something like "For X per person you'll receive something between Y category and Z category to be assigned closer to sailing")

It follows the logic of "it never hurts to ask"

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll contact my TA a month before sailing and have her ask.

Lisa, thank you for pointing out HAL does not stick to the policy DBA refers to: HAL does offer upsells to people who have marked their reservation "no upgrades".

You have high credibility and likability here, so perhaps people will listen to you when other similar posts have been - apparently - ignored.

We went to the front desk to see about going back to an inside with a stall shower. Sorry, we were told, the ship is sold out. Fortunately, another passenger in line overheard our plight, and offered to exchange their inside for our outside.

I hope you realize -

The hotel manager's desk staff on every ship will, from now on, be wondering why there are hoards of Inside stateroom pax hanging around... listening intently to every inquiry on the first afternoon of every cruise! ;)

Lisa, thank you for pointing out HAL does not stick to the policy DBA refers to: HAL does offer upsells to people who have marked their reservation "no upgrades".

You have high credibility and likability here, so perhaps people will listen to you when other similar posts have been - apparently - ignored.

Just to make sure we're all speaking the same language....an upsell is not the same thing as an upgrade. So, if a person marked "no upgrade" and was offered an upsell, their "no upgrade" request was honored.

DBA, I think you should make a recommendation to HAL Management that if a PH does not sell they consider giving it away in a game of "Penthouse Bingo" on the second night of the cruise. This is what Azamara has been doing and on a approx 600 passenger ship they are making more money than the $699-$1599.00pp upsell offers from HAL mentioned on these boards. They charge $20.00 for a single Bingo card and many many passengers purchase multiple cards. It creates a lot of excitement and great that different guests have this opportunity, which would likely make more money for HAL as well.

Just to make sure we're all speaking the same language....an upsell is not the same thing as an upgrade. So, if a person marked "no upgrade" and was offered an upsell, their "no upgrade" request was honored.

Yes.

But DBA stated in post 1 " just answer the question 'No' and no one will even bother disturbing you."

Then elaborated at post 35 those who marked their reservation "no upgrades" should call for upsell offers.

Then at post 38 stated you can't opt out of upgrades and still get upsells.

Lisa (and others) pointed out DBA is wrong in that respect.

That is FACT.

In the realm of OPINION I am sickened and disgusted ANYONE would start a thread to pillory a CC member for any reason. I think this entire thread (and part of another) contravenes CC rules of harassment.

As DBA also said, in post # 45, if a person marked "no upgrade" he would NOT be offered an uograde. Hopefully this is straight now:

IF YOU MARK "NO UPGRADE" ON YOUR BOOKING YOU CAN STILL BE OFFERED AN UPSELL, BUT WILL NOT BE GIVEN AN UPGRADE.

(I didn't mean this yelling, just capped it so maybe everyone will understand the difference now.)

DBA, I think you should make a recommendation to HAL Management that if a PH does not sell they consider giving it away in a game of "Penthouse Bingo" on the second night of the cruise. This is what Azamara has been doing and on a approx 600 passenger ship they are making more money than the $699-$1599.00pp upsell offers from HAL mentioned on these boards. They charge $20.00 for a single Bingo card and many many passengers purchase multiple cards. It creates a lot of excitement and great that different guests have this opportunity, which would likely make more money for HAL as well.

How much fun would that be !!! :) What a great idea.

Yes.

But DBA stated in post 1 " just answer the question 'No' and no one will even bother disturbing you."

In the realm of OPINION I am sickened and disgusted ANYONE would start a thread to pillory a CC member for any reason. I think this entire thread (and part of another) contravenes CC rules of harassment.

I was just surprised at the title, "For those booking specific rooms and then boasting of turning down upgrade offers..."

How much fun would that be !!! :) What a great idea.

We had a lot of fun when we won :)

We almost missed the opportunity but wanted to show up because my first reaction was that it was a smart marketing move and Azamara would make more money in a Bingo round verses selling the PH as an upsell.

We bought one Bingo card for $20.00 but many couples had several cards each. It even got better when we tied another person and had to play a sudden death round. The Butlers moved all of our stuff while we were at dinner. Plus the cruise line gave us the Suite with all of the amenities included. We were invited to their "Best of the Best" dinner for the top 10 Suites in their Drawing Room with dinner with paired wines, harpist playing, Captain and Senior offers. I got to sit next to the Chief Engineer and had a tour of the Engine room. We had so many Tour Invites (multiple ones to the Bridge) that they let us gift them to others we met on CC and sent the others a note it was with Compliments from us.

Btw, their PH (now called the Owners Suite) sells for about $23,000-$26,000 (for two) on a 14 night cruise.

Yes... for sure!

In my case (as I'm sure with many others) even though my booking is marked 'No Upgrade', I want to be considered for 'Upsells' - I'm willing to pay to have 'control'.

Whether or not upsell offers are routinely offered to those who have chosen to have their booking 'No Upgrade', or on some sailings the pax must ask if any upsell offers are available, doesn't matter. If I don't receive an upsell offer by a month from sailing, I'll contact my TA and have her ask... as DBA says, "it never hurts to ask." Even if the upsell is only to a 'guarantee' (in one or more higher cats.) I can look at the deck plans and decide if I want to accept it or not.

Holy Moly !!! :D How exciting...what a wonderful cruise that must have been for you.. very generous to share some of your good fortune.

Can I repeat ..what a great idea.!!!

That's what I mean. It created a lot of excitement and made the cruise line money in the process.

We had different people we met on CC come by in the afternoons for hor d'oeuvres. There were so many platters of food. We just had the Butler set the table depending on who was coming. The last night we were going on a tour in Singapore, and sent the food to our new friends down the hall who were not in a Suite.

Don't be silly!

DBA didn't start this thread to pillory anyone... and several people boasted of turning down free upgrades. The whole point of the OP is that if nothing will move you from your chosen room, have your booking marked - 'No Upgrade'.

The 'harassment' has been manufactured in your head.

We almost missed the opportunity but wanted to show up because my first reaction was that it was a smart marketing move and Azamara would make more money in a Bingo round verses selling the PH as an upsell.

We bought one Bingo card for $20.00 but many couples had several cards each. It even got better when we tied another person and had to play a sudden death round. The Butlers moved all of our stuff while we were at dinner. Plus the cruise line gave us the Suite with all of the amenities included. We were invited to their "Best of the Best" dinner for the top 10 Suites in their Drawing Room with dinner with paired wines, harpist playing, Captain and Senior offers. I got to sit next to the Chief Engineer and had a tour of the Engine room. We had so many Tour Invites (multiple ones to the Bridge) that they let us gift them to others we met on CC and sent the others a note it was with Compliments from us.

Btw, their PH (now called the Owners Suite) sells for about $23,000-$26,000 (for two) on a 14 night cruise.

Jade, I think this is wonderful, how nice for you! I would definitely have played that Bingo game too. :D Wish HAL did this too, what a great idea.

Don't be silly!

DBA didn't start this thread to pillory anyone... and several people boasted of turning down free upgrades. The whole point of the OP is that if nothing will move you from your chosen room, have your booking marked - 'No Upgrade'.

I totally agree. This is a credible OP with a fantastic blog who happens to have alot of information.

If anyone has jumped down people's throats, this is not the person you are looking for.

Thank you, DBA, for clarifying HAL's policy on this issue. I wish I had seen the thread earlier in the day:)..

But this should clear it up for everyone and it's very helpful information coming from a reliable, credible source.

Anyone can post anything on a message board; we all have to be cognizant of that and recognize when we're getting information "fom the horse's mouth".

Hopefully this puts the matter to bed (at least until the next time;)).

I'm sure they did this on our Rotterdam cruise in 2007. We've just been discussing and neither of us can remember which leg of the cruise it was on but the prize was an upgrade to a penthouse.

I'm sure they did this on our Rotterdam cruise in 2007. We've just been discussing and neither of us can remember which leg of the cruise it was on but the prize was an upgrade to a penthouse.

Most likely the result of the fact that the Rotterdam has 4 penthouses, most other ships have only 2 or even only 1.

Don't be silly!

Exactly.

DBA is setting the record straight - and with authority - so people don't get misled by unsubstantiated claims.

I am very appreciative of his posts.

I think he did an excellent job of conveying the message without singling out anyone. Very classy.

We leave ours open to Upgrade 'for free' -- it's happened once -- we didn't receive an 'offer letter' it just changed in our boarding documents. When we got an Upsell offer -- we turned down the first one and jumped on the second one.

We are always open to an 'upsell'. book a specified suite and happy to talk. It's not free, but with an upsell, you have the right to turn it down if you don't like the location.

Good thread DBA, thanks. Makes me wonder as our new TBA does not ask if we want to upgrade. Perhaps because we book a specific cabin? i don't know. thanks again for alerting people who may not be aware.

We are always open to an 'upsell'. book a specified suite and happy to talk. It's not free, but with an upsell, you have the right to turn it down if you don't like the location.

Good thread DBA, thanks. Makes me wonder as our new TBA does not ask if we want to upgrade. Perhaps because we book a specific cabin? i don't know. thanks again for alerting people who may not be aware.

Great thread with good information. I don't book expensive cabins, say maybe ov or verandahs, best are the lanai recently, but it's always been a good bet for me to book directly. I always say that I would be open to an upgrade, honest, you'd have to have a really crazy nut in your head to turn one down for free, but it all works out nonetheless. I had an wonderful upsell on the Veendam this past summer and I dare say, it was the best cruise of my lifetime.

Best wishes everyone!

DBA, I think you should make a recommendation to HAL Management that if a PH does not sell they consider giving it away in a game of "Penthouse Bingo" on the second night of the cruise.

Brilliant... finally, something for which I might use a coupon! ;)

Archived