RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Ok tanks bluegirlum, will do dat!

Great info ahecht! Will look at the links. Looking mainly to snorkel where the coral reef is near the water's surface and not down more than 10 feet or so.

All those locations will have coral that comes within about 5-10 feet of the surface, but you don't want to get much closer than that anyway as touching the coral can be dangerous (for both you and the coral).

I'm not wishing to start a debate, but I'm just trying to understand your thinking...

I don't see why some guy heaving my luggage onto a cart deserves a tip - it's his job, right?

So, by your reasoning, why do the following deserve tips? They are doing their job, right?

I do think someone bringing a heavy tray to my cabin at 6:30 am deserves more consideration than if the same person had to deliver only a pot of coffee. So I tip two USD every morning when these cheerful people deliver my loaded tray.

I tip our room steward at the beginning of the cruise (cash $10 USD) as a thank you for the services I know she/he will perform.

<<<snip>>>

I tip the steward again at the end of the cruise (cash $10 USD).

The porter (just doing his "job") would have a very direct, daily influence on your cruise if your bags mysteriously did not arrive. No?

The room steward has a very direct, daily influence on my cruise.
Edited by kcb

The "Real Secret" is to explore the entire ship, deck by deck, to see what is there.

Print deck plans from the RCI Web Site before you board and then just wander and explore.

You will be glad you did!

Here is proof that this system works.

On our first cruise on the Jewel of the Seas, every time we went to the Windjammer we got our food and then found a nearby place to sit down and eat. At lunch on the 4th day, the Windjammer was pretty full so we kept heading aft to find an open table. And we found the open air seating area across the stern of the ship. For the rest of the cruise, that is where we ate.

Had we not walked back there we would never have found it!

DSCN8222.jpg

We found this as well great place to sit.

Do the porters do more than load the racks?
They hand out luggage tags and pre-sort the bags into "sections" so that they end up in the right part of the ship. But that's really all just part of loading the carts.
Creating a friend every restaurant/bar you go is never a bad thing.
The servers may appreciate your tips and may be extra-nice when you return, but that doesn't make them your friends.
I'm not wishing to start a debate, but I'm just trying to understand your thinking...
I think the question is, Which employees are paid full wages vs. which ones are paid via tips.

I believe the porters are paid a "real wage", whereas the servers onboard rely upon tips. If this is true, then it makes sense to skip the porters and tip the servers. Since we've seen signs saying that tipping the porters is NOT required, I'm inclined to believe that I'm right. Still, a dollar a bag isn't going to hurt us.

I think the question is, Which employees are paid full wages vs. which ones are paid via tips.

I believe the porters are paid a "real wage", whereas the servers onboard rely upon tips. If this is true, then it makes sense to skip the porters and tip the servers.

With that being said, would you skip the Skycap at the airport curbside check-in...who is just doing his or her job...and likely paid a "real wage?"

With that being said, would you skip the Skycap at the airport curbside check-in...who is just doing his or her job...and likely paid a "real wage?"

Lol, something's never change! Hey kcb, how goes the cruise life?

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone :) I wanted to thank everyone for their posts here. My DH and I are brand new to cruising. I've just started researching, so I have lots to learn. These tips are very helpful. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thank you. :):)

Don't be afraid... Ask away! There are no silly questions.

b79a0ccda72d7cad2de4619c06ae9a94.jpg

I have question about beds. My dh and I are cruising again after a 4 year break. DH sleeps in an adjustable bed, like a hospital bed that adjust the head and knees up. I am concerned that he will not be able to rest on the cruise because he has to be at a 45 degree angle for his head. Anyone know if RCCL has any thing they can put on bed to raise the head?

Thanks in advance.

Shelia

Sheila,

These are easy to pack and can be used for the bed or the beach. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chill-Wedge-Inflatable-Beach-Festival-Camping-Lounger-Back-Pillow-Cushion-Chair-/400729789578?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item5d4d5b548a

How thoughtful, hand-me-down, hand-me-downs.

I always pack clothes that I don't want anymore also. But I don't usually have to spend money. I just go through my drawers and closet and find the things that I don't like that much for whatever reason (too big, faded, out of style, etc.) and pack that. After I wear it, I leave a note telling the attendant that they can use it if they want, or throw it away if they don't. I also save all our socks and underwear that are getting old and take those to throw away. It frees up a ton of space for souvenirs on the return trip!

One other tip - If you're involved with an organization that sells Scrips (for those of you who don't know what this is, it's a fund raiser where you buy gift cards online and a portion of the sale goes to the organization), Royal Caribbean has Scrip gift cards for new cruises. In our case, we saved 9% off our total because the donation went directly into our son's marching band account!

I always pack clothes that I don't want anymore also. But I don't usually have to spend money. I just go through my drawers and closet and find the things that I don't like that much for whatever reason (too big, faded, out of style, etc.) and pack that. After I wear it, I leave a note telling the attendant that they can use it if they want, or throw it away if they don't. I also save all our socks and underwear that are getting old and take those to throw away. It frees up a ton of space for souvenirs on the return trip!

I see people posting on here (quite a bit, it seems) that do this, pack old, ugly etc., clothes to toss after they've been worn. The crappy underwear I get, ... maybe, but I don't want to be on vacation wearing crap that I don't even want to wear at home. ???

I want to wear nice pretty things, and I surely wouldn't offer "faded, out of style, etc." items to the attendant.

Is it just me?

I see people posting on here (quite a bit, it seems) that do this, pack old, ugly etc., clothes to toss after they've been worn. The crappy underwear I get, ... maybe, but I don't want to be on vacation wearing crap that I don't even want to wear at home. ???

I want to wear nice pretty things, and I surely wouldn't offer "faded, out of style, etc." items to the attendant.

Is it just me?

I'm with you! I take nice clothes with me and dress my best! :o

Is it just me?

No, not just you.

And frankly, I am never at a loss of amazement for seeing things or hearing about things that passengers do that just leave me with my head shaking. :confused:

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Is it just me?

I guess that is why some passengers are against dressing up for formal nights!:D

MARAPRINCE

Is it just me?

I just want to clarify my earlier statement. I am by no means advocating dressing like a bum! I dress in the latest styles and am a total shop-a-holic! So when I say clothes I no longer want, it is by no means old or ugly. (Just trying to not sound like the spoiled brat that I am!:rolleyes:) I have closets and drawers crammed full of clothes so finding 7 outfits that I can do without is no problem. Sorry if I offend you by making it sound like I thought people should bring holey, paint stained, nasty crap! And you might be right about the stewards not wanting it. Maybe I'll take them and donate them at the port of call instead.