Carnival Policy Update Re: Independent Tours

K8sMom

Just received an e-mail regarding a new policy enacted by Carnival Corp. regarding the independent tours picking up mobility-impaired or elderly guests at the Mahogany Bay port gate.

Previously if there were guest not able to make the walk up the hill at the Mahogany Bay port, one member of the party could meet the tour over the hill and then the tour vehicle would be allowed to come to the port entrance to pick up other guests who were mobility-impaired in some way.

New Policy: "As of Nov. 25, the Carnival Corp. (owner/manager of Mahogany Bay) requires ALL guests to walk this route to meet independent guides. There are NO pick-ups at the pier gate."

Is this just another effort to force guests to take the ship sponsored tours??? I for one will make my displeasure known since this will probably affect some members of our party scheduled for a tour with an independent tour guide. Perhaps others will also. To contact them directly regarding this policy, e-mail GCahill@carnival.com - Gerry Cahill, Carnival CEO; gdavis@carnival.com - Graham Davis, Director of Port Operations; director@mahoganybaycc.com - Michael Reimers, General Manager of Mahogany Bay.

I received the email as well. I guess Carnival is feeling the crunch with so many people booking independent tours at a much lower price than what they offer. I am a first time cruiser and have booked independent tours at all of our ports - there is no way I am going to pay the price Carnival charges for their tours, which usually offer much less time or variety than the independent tours. Sure, your are guaranteed that the ship will wait for you on a Carnival tour, but really, how often is an independent tour going to risk their reputation and livelihood by not having you back in time? Basically, it would be the end of their business if they did. I booked tours that have plenty of leeway between ending time and ship leaving time just in case something does happen though.

I think it is pretty deplorable on Carnival's part to not let these companies pick up elderly or disabled folks at the gate - just not right.

Just what i wanted to hear Will be The glory in Dec. and MB is one of our stops Also have a tour planned not the cruise ones and have not heard anything from carnival. And I have a bad knee and had informed them of this.

Looks like no more western CArib. cruises with carnival. Had a group cruise planned for Jan. 2012 for wifes 62 birthday.

Paul

It's all really pretty simple. If you do not like the way a company does business then DO NOT do business with them and give the your money. If someone recieved this email and it really is a policy change then they would be fully in their rights to demand a refund on the trip and not go on the cruise yet as a private industry the the cruislines can also put in restrictions yet if they change after booking, as I mentioned, you are entitled to a full refund ULESS you signed someting in fine print stating otherwise and if you did the you still cannot blame anyone else.

Just received an e-mail regarding a new policy enacted by Carnival Corp. regarding the independent tours picking up mobility-impaired or elderly guests at the Mahogany Bay port gate.

Previously if there were guest not able to make the walk up the hill at the Mahogany Bay port, one member of the party could meet the tour over the hill and then the tour vehicle would be allowed to come to the port entrance to pick up other guests who were mobility-impaired in some way.

New Policy: "As of Nov. 25, the Carnival Corp. (owner/manager of Mahogany Bay) requires ALL guests to walk this route to meet independent guides. There are NO pick-ups at the pier gate."

Is this just another effort to force guests to take the ship sponsored tours??? I for one will make my displeasure known since this will probably affect some members of our party scheduled for a tour with an independent tour guide. Perhaps others will also. To contact them directly regarding this policy, e-mail GCahill@carnival.com - Gerry Cahill, Carnival CEO; gdavis@carnival.com - Graham Davis, Director of Port Operations; director@mahoganybaycc.com - Michael Reimers, General Manager of Mahogany Bay.

Haven't having a mom, who in her last days, required wheelchair access, I find this awful.. When and if I return to Roatan which l loved I will, out of principal, not book a ship's tour and find whatever it takes to book independently on this island. It makes me kind of sick to read Carnival's policy. I don't cruise Carnival Cruises but do cruise Princess. I hope I can find it in my soul to continue cruising Princess despite this info. I really find it offensive!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's me again. I find this policy horrible! Not sure that if I cruise when Roatan is a port that I would cruise a Carnival Corp ship. Since I'm a Princess lover, that is alot. Maybe Carnival well change it's policy, but sinceI doubt it, if I go to Roatan again, I will find a cruiseline that isn't owned by Carnival.

To those who are cruising Roatan in the future, it is beautiful and like no other Caribbean port I've cruised. I think my next trip there will be a land vacation instead of a cruise due to the yuckiness of the cruise things.

Good News Folks,

Just got email from Victor Bodden Tour today..

++ As of December 1, 2010, the Port Manager of the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center has negotiated with the on-site Taxi Association to provide transportation, if required, to the Independent Tours meeting area over the hill. The negotiated flat-rate for this taxi service is $2 per person. Please see the Taxi Dispatcher (in the Green Mahogany Bay shirt) to arrange for your group to utilize this service -- tell them that you need transport to Victor Bodden Tours on the other side of the hill. Or, if you'd rather, you can still walk over the hill (approximately 350 yards) to the designated area. ++

Remember that this policy is for independent tour/excursion operators. You can and always could hire a taxi at the port, without walking up the "hill"--there's still an incline from the dock to the entranceof th eshopping area. There have always been cabs there. The biggest difference is that cabs allowed inside do charge more and negoitate less than any cabs waiting outside. But you don't "HAVE" to walk up the "Hill" to catch a cab, if you don't want too. You do have to walk up the hill, or looks like now, pay $2 to get a cab to take you up the hill, if you have booked an excursion from an independent operator like Victor or Rony.

Good News Folks,

Just got email from Victor Bodden Tour today..

++ As of December 1, 2010, the Port Manager of the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center has negotiated with the on-site Taxi Association to provide transportation, if required, to the Independent Tours meeting area over the hill. The negotiated flat-rate for this taxi service is $2 per person. Please see the Taxi Dispatcher (in the Green Mahogany Bay shirt) to arrange for your group to utilize this service -- tell them that you need transport to Victor Bodden Tours on the other side of the hill. Or, if you'd rather, you can still walk over the hill (approximately 350 yards) to the designated area. ++

This is great news! Thanks so much for sharing.

Taters

I definately don't like this policy. But, I also think $2 is reasonable so no one should have too much difficulty. I think a private tour is best when you have mobility issues. Ronystours.com is great. He has an independent tour at a great price and they will take as long as you like at each stop. The driver's are great at helping everyone in and out of the vehicles. When you are with a ship excursion it is easy to feel rushed if it takes a little longer than everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible this is a security issue? I haven't been to Routan, (till next Jun) but I know ports must be secured in every location. Having folks that have not been "cleared" roaming around your port wouldn't be the most prudent measure and could make you a tartget if the bad guys found out your security was lax.

Just returned from the NCL Spirit and booked a private tour with Rony's. I walked over the hill met with Rony and we drove into the port area to pick up my wife who uses a scooter. Had no problems doing this and we were dropped off at the pier taxi area after the tour completed. Maybe the new policy is not enforced.

I received the email as well. I guess Carnival is feeling the crunch with so many people booking independent tours at a much lower price than what they offer. I am a first time cruiser and have booked independent tours at all of our ports - there is no way I am going to pay the price Carnival charges for their tours, which usually offer much less time or variety than the independent tours. Sure, your are guaranteed that the ship will wait for you on a Carnival tour, but really, how often is an independent tour going to risk their reputation and livelihood by not having you back in time? Basically, it would be the end of their business if they did. I booked tours that have plenty of leeway between ending time and ship leaving time just in case something does happen though.

I think it is pretty deplorable on Carnival's part to not let these companies pick up elderly or disabled folks at the gate - just not right.

It can happen that an independent tour gets back late. Have seen it happen, Always have a copy of your Passport with you and a credit card, you might need it. We have never had a problem and do both cruise and independent tours. We decide with how long the tour is and if it is cutting it closer than an hour to get back to the ship, will not do it. It is sad to see someone running to the dock and we are waving goodbye to them. Sometimes we don't mind paying more for cruise line tour. Just depends on where we are and what we are planning on doing. We are doing Victor Bodden tour in Roatan, he has lots of great reviews! We will be there next week, can hardly wait

Is it possible this is a security issue? I haven't been to Routan, (till next Jun) but I know ports must be secured in every location. Having folks that have not been "cleared" roaming around your port wouldn't be the most prudent measure and could make you a tartget if the bad guys found out your security was lax.

Roatan probably has the least amount of crime out of all the western Caribbean. It is very safe. The last arrest I heard of was a crew member of one of the cruise ships was arrested for transporting drugs via the cruise ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Just need some clarification. If we are doing an excursion that starts at West End and we need a taxi to get there, we can get one at Mahogany Bay and NOT walk up the hill to get a taxi? But, if we do walk up the hill we can get a taxi and the cost might be less than getting one inside Mahogany Bay?

Is anyone else as confused as I am over the taxi policy at Mahogany Bay Pier! :confused:

We need to get a taxi to take us to the Sante Wellness Center/Spa.

Where can we get the taxi?? Inside the pier area or Outside the Pier???

Do we book a Roundtrip and pay the driver on the Return Trip??

Is there a fare chart for different areas on this Island?

Thank You for any info/help you can share with us concerning the above question.

Pat :)

Is anyone else as confused as I am over the taxi policy at Mahogany Bay Pier! :confused:

We need to get a taxi to take us to the Sante Wellness Center/Spa.

Where can we get the taxi?? Inside the pier area or Outside the Pier???

Do we book a Roundtrip and pay the driver on the Return Trip??

Is there a fare chart for different areas on this Island?

Thank You for any info/help you can share with us concerning the above question.

Pat :)

See post #52 in the thread titled Sante - How is it? at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=643300.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

We were there last February and although we had to walk up the hill to the indpendent tour vehicles, they could drop us off right adjacent to the terminal on the return.

It is not a security issue, but an issue of greed on the part of the cruiselines. One way to stiffle competition is to keep them out!

See post #52 in the thread titled Sante - How is it? at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=643300.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Walk outside of of the area and there are lots of taxi drivers there. I would hire one for the day. We hired Victor Bodden tour and they took us wherever we wanted. We paid $100 for 4 people and went everywhere, and they are great. He stayed with us at all times, answered questions and gave us ideas of where to go. Go to Victorboddentours.com

Roatan probably has the least amount of crime out of all the western Caribbean. It is very safe. The last arrest I heard of was a crew member of one of the cruise ships was arrested for transporting drugs via the cruise ship.

It is pretty safe for visitors but there are and have been serious crimes on a regular basis. Roatan certainly has more crime than the Caymans and Honduras in general has more crime than any other country in Latin America except maybe Haiti so please do not kid yourselves, you need to be aware.

Archived