Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San10s

Live from the Golden Princess - St Lucia

Hello to all Cruise Critic folks!

I had planned on writing daily but somehow I missed the first few days! This is my first time on the Golden! What a great ship! It is a sold out cruise and I understand from some of my fellow cruisers that they received calls as late as Friday to get them to give up their cruise due to over-booking. (We were already in San Juan by then and didn't get a call.)

Tonight is the Captain's Cricle party....which I better go get ready for in a couple of minutes. The ship is in terrific shape and I can't begn to tell you how winderful the crew has been so far. We are doing anytime dining and that is the only issue......and not anything that is ruining our cruise (nothing would do that :) ) ....but you have to wait a half hour or more each night between the 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM timeframe. We have a party of 6 and that may be the issue. I do think that the 2's and 4's are getting seated a little faster...but not by much. We leave it up to them whether we have our own table of a larger table....whatever is available first. So now, we just plan to stop, get our pager and then enjoy a coctail before dinner. The food has been great...no complaints.

Let me know if there are any questions and I will get you the answers before we leave.

Judy

San10s - glad you are enjoying the cruise! Who is the Captain? Is it Stefano Ravera? Ive heard nothing but praise for him. I will be aboard in July hopefully as an 'induction cadet', so would like to know a little about him.

Many thanks,

Andy

Judy .... Thanks for the update! So glad you're having a wonderful cruise!

We don't like that "Anytime Dining" either! ;) Like you, it certainly didn't ruin our cruise! Continue having a great time!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

....but you have to wait a half hour or more each night between the 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM timeframe. We have a party of 6 and that may be the issue. I do think that the 2's and 4's are getting seated a little faster...but not by much.

Hi Judy! Thanks for the info and hope you continue to enjoy your cruise.

Have you tried to make reservations for that time frame? If so, have you been turned down? We'll be wanting a table for 2 and we'll probably want to eat at 7 or so. Any idea if that time is easier?

TIA!! :)

Well, it has been a mostly cloudy day today with heavy showers off and on throughout....a little more than the typical island showers for sure. Our tour...Eli's Eco Tour....was canceled due to the very rought seas. :( We will just have to come back again! Instead, we took a 4.5 hour tour with Roger....recommended by Nell (Eli's sister). It was a great tour and we really got to see the island. The ship's horn has just sounded and we will be the second ship to leave St John's tonight. The Constellation just departed and after we leave, the NCL Spirit will leave. All three ships were docked in an impressive showing at the pier.

I'll try and answer some questions....

APH - I will confirm the Captain's name tomorrow. I think his first name is Stephen so you may be right. He was absolutely charming last night at the Capt's Circle party.

O Cruisers - We still like the 'anytime' dining but have had to adjust the way we do things. Last night, six of us went to dinner at 6:30 PM and had the dining room almost to ourselves. :eek:

TupeloHoney - Tips and tricks....hmmm. After 5 days on board, I finally walked all the way forward on the Promenade deck...climbed the stairs at the bow and loved the view at the front of the ship as we entered the harbor at 6:30 AM this morning. Another one was that my DH has ordered a couple of the pasta selections in the dining room as an appetizer....they were great! I will think of some more and do a better job when I write a review in a couple of weeks.

betsyg - We loved our 4 X 4 jeep tour we did a few years ago on our first trip to the island. Friends took the Catamaran sail to the Pitons this year and loved that tour too.

Crazsea - Thanks! We love to cruise and nothing would make a cruise bad as far as I am concerned!

mtjlr - Yes...there is also traditional seatings....two...one at around 6:00 PM and the second at 8:30 PM. The dining room used for traditional seating is the Canaletto dining room....which is at the far aft of the ship on deck 5.

amapola - We have not made reservations as every day has been a different time we looked to eat. IMHO, a table for 2 before 7 PM will most likely not be an issue...except formal nights maybe! We have seen unused tables for 2 when dining.

Well, time to hit the cabin and think of getting showered and dressed for the evening. Thanks for all your nice wishes. The only bad thing about the cruise.......is that it is going by too quickly! :eek:

Judy

If you haven't visited already....say hi to Cindy and Tracy on the 3/6 Roll call.

This thread is located at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=69657&goto=newpost They are doing a b2b 3/6 and 3/13 and I know they'd love to have more CC posters on the 3/6 thread.

Tracy's done quite a bit of research on tours for this itinerary.

Happy cruising. We're going to pass each other, we're cruising 3/13.

Thanks to San10s for remembering us while cruising.