Help! Xray on ship and at the airport!

lmwilken

I am wearing a boot on my foot as prescriped by my podiatrist. I am wondering with the new body scans and all that what problems I will run into at the airport.

Also, what will happen every time I get on the ship? It's very painful and time consuming to take the boot off, but I am almost 95% sure there is metal in the boot. What will they make me do?

Do I need a dr's note?

I would carry a doctor's note with me....but they may still ask you to remove it.

When we go through security at the port....DH's shoes always set off the alarm....there is some kind of metal in them somewhere??? He just takes them off and sends them through the scanner.

I can't speak to the backscatter full body scans in use at many airports but I can tell you that you won't have any problems boarding or disembarking from the ship. There are no full body x-ray machines associated with security for the vessels. However, they will scan your possessions just as has been done for the airlines.

:)

My mom has a pacemaker.

At the airport she shows her card, goes around the scanner and gets a patdown.

Boarding the ship, she shows her card and they just let her go around with no pat down.

Yes. If the boot is removable and it sets off the alarm at the metal detector, you can definitely expect them to request that you remove it. The doctor's note will be useless.

Best piece of advice I can give you is that you give yourself extra time at the airport! :)

just flew twice in the last two weeks, I had to take shoes off as everyone else did also. That being said there are chairs after they are done with you so you can sit and put you boot back on.

As mentioned if all false body parts are checked I can not imagine that they will let you just go through with a boot.

I had a brace than could be removed as a "cast" until I could get home from my cruise to have a cast put on my broken hand. I was not supposed to remove it but they did make me remove it at airport security. They were helpful had had someone help me reapply it as I had only one hand to use. The brace had metal in it and it was take it off or not get on the plane. No harm done really, but be prepared to take everything out and off....it's the times we live in. TSA is doing their job - the TSA is keeping us safe. I wasn't happy but I do understand why.

I believe legally, if you can't walk without it, then they can't ask you to remove it. Last year, I broke my hand, but instead of a cast, my doc put me in a removable brace because of the concern over swelling on the flight. I had to take it off at the airport, but on the ship, they just waved me through even though I set off the metal detectors. I think the first time, they wiped the brace with something that I guess detects explosives, and that was it.

I believe legally, if you can't walk without it, then they can't ask you to remove it. Last year, I broke my hand, but instead of a cast, my doc put me in a removable brace because of the concern over swelling on the flight. I had to take it off at the airport, but on the ship, they just waved me through even though I set off the metal detectors. I think the first time, they wiped the brace with something that I guess detects explosives, and that was it.

Wrong. My husband has to take his prosthetic leg off every single time we fly. (It sets off the alarm.) They make him sit down in a chair, take it off, stand up on one leg then they pat him down while he hops around on one leg trying to keep his balance. Then they check his artificial leg and wipe it with their swabs, etc. It happens EVERY time we fly.

get ready to remove it, dr. note or not. they got to keep us safe, they have caught all these bad guys, the shoe bomber, the underwear bomber, oh that right they didnt catch them until they tried to blow up the plane. oh well maybe they will catch some kid or eldery person trying to get something on board soon so they can tell us about it. glad i dont have to fly anytime soon. it is messed up.

A flight attendant was recently forced to remove her breast prosthesis for public inspection. :mad:

No way the airport TSA ****s are gonna let you leave that boot on, however much discomfort removing it will cause you. They don't care.

Would you rather have people get explosives onto planes??????

Agreed. But you have to admit, it's getting a little ridiculous. Do these people in the attached photos look like they pose a real threat to National security??? It's getting a out of control...

b65wnd.jpg

10epoo5.jpg

Wrong. My husband has to take his prosthetic leg off every single time we fly. (It sets off the alarm.) They make him sit down in a chair, take it off, stand up on one leg then they pat him down while he hops around on one leg trying to keep his balance. Then they check his artificial leg and wipe it with their swabs, etc. It happens EVERY time we fly.

My husband also has a prosthetic. He has yet been made to take it off at the airport. I find what you are saying disturbing. What really bothers me is that they make him stand and do the tests without his leg. What if he fell. I am used to my husband getting the extra security, not having his bags in site.

I thought that up until recently they could not ask you to take the limb off in public. Unless there was a reason why. I know about the wands and the scent thing and all the bs.

On dr note, my sister in law ghas one for her hip or knee replacement. She showed it at the airport they had her do extra screening she said I have a nite and the person said. Who is to say that is real you could have printed it yourself. So a dr might make you feel better but they are not verifiable.

What about setting explosives off in the airport where it could kill more people than on a plane? Do you have any idea how much explosive and shrapnel I could put into each of several carry on bags?

If a terrorist felt that he was going to get caught, a he could just set it off in a crowded TSA security area. It would kill hundreds of people and close down the airport for months.

If I can think of this, don't you think that the terrorists have thought of it?

DON

I've had special screening for years because of joint replacements. Just one more fact of life. The body scan I just did for my last cruise flight was so easy.....not intrusive at all.

I have always had a chair to sit on to take off my shoes, and have had help putting them

back on. I'd rather to the body scan.

As far as elderly people not being a threat.......the x-rays were ramped up not because

of 9/11, but because of the two elderly women who blew up two Russian planes killing

all aboard. I was in the business when that happened, and it was TSA who told me that. There is no age limit to terrorism, unfortunately.

Do you really feel safe in a jam packed security line of a major airport during a high traffic volume time of day? Does the bad guy/gal actually have to make it to a plane to achieve his/her goal? There was some journalist on Countdown last week that was talking about this scenario. I had never thought about that scenario until the guy outlined it.

Wow, I am absolutely appauled at needing to take off prosthetic legs. That is horrible. What's next? Making women who were raped completely undress in front of everyone at the airport? Yikes....

Anyways...

Would it be better to go through the body scan line? Will they make me take off the boot in the body scan line?

Thanks for the help!

Last year I broke my ankle about a month before our Christmas cruise. I still had the boot on for our trip. I used a wheel chair (one of the airline's)at the airport and they had me walk through the metal detector (they asked if I could do it, I could) and then they had me sit, asked if I could take off the boot...I could and did...then they put the boot in a basket and put it through the metal detector. the boot was completely plastic, so it didn't set off any alarms, but for saftey they did it. They also swabed the wheel chair checking for explosives. I didn't mind and they were very polite about the entire process.

Getting on the ship, they asked me if I had problems walking...I was using a cane... and by that time I was tired and my foot hurt, so I said yes. They let us get in the VIP line and we were able to board qucikly.

I would say yes, you will have to remove the boot..and as others have said plan for extra time. Hopefully, the people as TSA will be as nice as those I dealt with.

Good luck and have a great cruise :)

Archived