Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

travellady

Live From the Diamond Princess

We are quite pleased with the ship, the service, and passengers. We elected Anytime Dining and have eaten in the Pacific Moon, Sterling, and Vivaldi. We've decided to skip Santa Fe as we plan on sticking to the buffet the next 2 nights. We did find we had to make reservations early on to get in those resturants at a decent time. So the only real Anytime is the buffet - and we really do like the food at the Horizon Court. Our goal for this trip is to totally relax, unwind, and do what we want at our pace. We decided to not plan for Formal nights and took carry ons only. For us, this has worked. It's our 4th cruise in 6 months so decided we'd keep it simple. If you haven't cruised before or for awhile, you may feel you want to do formal night - it's festive and fun and everyone looked great.

Our cabin is E521, obstructed Oceanview but between lifeboats so we do have a decent view. There are 3 of us and we don't feel cramped at all. We are in a cabin where the lifeboats next to it are used for tendering. It was a tad bit noisy this morning getting them down, about 6:30 AM, but I already knew this going in so no surprise to me. The price of this stateroom is well worth it despite slight obstruction and tendering noise. This is my first time without a balcony and I'm actually OK with it. IT forces me to get up earlier and go out on deck but other than that, it works. The steward does a great job, knows when we're in and when we're out. Room is very clean. He's even folded and put our clothes away and organizes all of our shoes.

We took the Stone Beach excursion in Mazatlan yesterday and did enjoy the beach. My 11 year old loved the ATVs we rented. The lunch was tasty, not extraordinary. The tour was well organized. The only downside was we were ready to come back to the ship about an hour before the tour was ready to take us. Not a bid deal and one downside of a tour. The other is the cost was high but we did get a boat tour over, horseback riding or carriage ride was included, and lunch was included.

We elected no excursion in Puerto Vallarta nor in Cabo San Lucas. We've vacationed in both places in the past few years so want to spend time enjoying the ship and just walked around in Puerto Vallarta on our own.

Saw whales and dophins on our way down. A beautiful site and Im hoping tomorrow we'll see more as we head home.

Shows have been good. Loved the Piano Man, comedian last night was good (sorry I can't recall his name), and had fun watching the pool games. My husband has done well with BlackJack and is subsidizing me feeding the slots. I'd say they are not loose and I'm not hearing a lot of Jackpots.

My son likes the kids club activities. He's 11 1/2 and is in a group of 10-13 year olds. the room is decorated for pre-teens, big screen TV, Playstations with flat screen (not flat panel but still cool), juke box with tunes he likes. We sailed Carnival Inspiration and Disney Wonder in December and he wasn't impressed with those kids clubs. Disney was too juvenile for him (it looked fun for many kids but he thinks he's a teen now), and Inspiration just wasnt' good (no facility, met in a lounge daily). Princess for him is 2nd to Voyager but a close 2nd. He is active so misses the inline skating and ice skating but he could go both ways. We are scheduled for the Sapphire in June and he's not complaining about that - is actually looking forward to it knowing it's almost identical to the Diamond.

Room Service has been sporadic. First night prompt. But my son's chocolate milk was actually hot choclate milk in 12 ounce glasses. he did enjoy it so ordered it the next night. But, that came as cold regular milk with a packet of hot chocolate on the side - didn't dissolve really well. The next night we tried again and ended up with a pitcher of hot water, 2 6 ounce coffee cups and 2 packets of hot chocolate mix. I wonder what we'll get tonight :-). And last night it took 45 minutes and 2 calls. So far, the only inconsistent experience but we took it in stride.

Well, time to sign off and get mu husband and son going for the day. They are sleeping like babes as the cabin has been quiet (they went back to sleep after the lifeboat lowering this morning), decent temperature. Beds are slightly hard though good for my husbands back.

For all of you going on the Diamond, it's a nice ship. Yes, it won't be perfect, nothing is (room service for us is that example), but we are being pampered, kept well fed, never short of things to do, and are relxing and forgetting our worldly cares.

Thanks for the update. We're planning on going to Sabatini's. Want to know what night Piano Man is beforehand, so we don't miss it by making our reservations for the same night. Do you remember which nite Piano Man was?

Thanks Again,

fern_glitter03.gif

Piano Man was 2 nights - I believe Monday and Tuesday but it could have been Sunday and Monday (the days have blurred). The first night it was at 8 and 10 and the 2nd night at 9:15.

Today we are sad - it's our last full day and we need to pack up. But, I"ll be headed out soon on the Sapphire so will keep that in mind.

Hi Travellady, we are on the Diamond 04/23 and are in a triple (B336), how is this configured. Do the lower beds push together to make a queen? Is the third bunk a pull down from the ceiling. When we sailed the Dawn in a triple the room looked like a dormitory, Two lower beds, one a couch like contraption, across from that another bunk that folded into the wall and the third bunk above the "couch" hangning from the ceiling, Thanks.