Embarking in 36 Hours - Last Minute Questions

hunnypot1

Cruising on the Spirit out of San Diego Monday, Dec 6th.

1) Is there a fish and chip station on the Spirit?

2) Will I be allowed to take this Coleman soft-sided 42 can cooler as a carry-on? It will be full of sodas (there are 6 people in our group). I am trying to follow their rules by not checking in sodas, but want a convenient way to transport them on the ship...okay, and a convenient way to keep them cool on our balcony.

Coleman-cooler.jpg

And we are taking our iphones. We only want to use them as cameras and for the "ipod" function and not to make calls, get data, etc.

The plan is to put them in airplane mode, data roaming off, fetch function off.

Crossing our fingers and hoping not to incur any charges.

In the past I just put the iphone in airplane mode, shut it down, and kept it in the safe. But our camera recently broke so we want to use the iphones to take pics.

Has anyone done this sort if thing successfully?

Cruising on the Spirit out of San Diego Monday, Dec 6th.

1) Is there a fish and chip station on the Spirit?

2) Will I be allowed to take this Coleman soft-sided 42 can cooler as a carry-on? It will be full of sodas (there are 6 people in our group). I am trying to follow their rules by not checking in sodas, but want a convenient way to transport them on the ship...okay, and a convenient way to keep them cool on our balcony.

Coleman-cooler.jpg

Nope... no fish n' chips... Here's a list of what's available on the Lido Deck:

Name: La Playa Grille

Hours: open for breakfast-lunch-dinner

Pizzeria open 24 hours

Hot/cold beverages open 24 hours

Function: Self-Service Casual Restaurant / Late Night Bistro - dinner

Hot and Buffet / Specialty Stations: Buffet featuring pastas, stir-fry, carving station - choices may vary among the fleet

Salad Bar: Elaborate salad bar featuring 35 items

The Grill: Hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken sandwiches and fries

Taste of Nations: Featuring a different International cuisine each day

New York Deli: Deli Sandwiches piled-high and favorite sides

Rotisserie: Rotisserie chicken

Asian Delights: Variety of Asian selections including sushi

Pizzeria: 24-Hour Pizzeria with seven kinds of pizza, calzone, Caesar salad and garlic bread

Desserts: Variety of desserts including sugar-free selections

Don't take that cooler unless you want to leave it at the port. You're allowed a 12X12X12 cooler... nothing bigger.

:)

Nope... no fish n' chips... Here's a list of what's available on the Lido Deck:

Name: La Playa Grille

Hours: open for breakfast-lunch-dinner

Pizzeria open 24 hours

Hot/cold beverages open 24 hours

Function: Self-Service Casual Restaurant / Late Night Bistro - dinner

Hot and Buffet / Specialty Stations: Buffet featuring pastas, stir-fry, carving station - choices may vary among the fleet

Salad Bar: Elaborate salad bar featuring 35 items

The Grill: Hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken sandwiches and fries

Taste of Nations: Featuring a different International cuisine each day

New York Deli: Deli Sandwiches piled-high and favorite sides

Rotisserie: Rotisserie chicken

Asian Delights: Variety of Asian selections including sushi

Pizzeria: 24-Hour Pizzeria with seven kinds of pizza, calzone, Caesar salad and garlic bread

Desserts: Variety of desserts including sugar-free selections

Don't take that cooler unless you want to leave it at the port. You're allowed a 12X12X12 cooler... nothing bigger.

Oh, boo!

But thanks for letting me know.

And we are taking our iphones. We only want to use them as cameras and for the "ipod" function and not to make calls, get data, etc.

Crossing our fingers and hoping not to incur any charges.

In the past I just put the iphone in airplane mode, shut it down, and kept it in the safe. But our camera recently broke so we want to use the iphones to take pics.

Has anyone done this sort if thing successfully?

Yes but if you accidentally hit the wrong button and turn data on you could have a big bill. I work in IT and I see that all the time when people go overseas..

For the camera I would just go buy a new one.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kodak-Black-C183-Bundle-acc-kit/15268626

80 bucks for that one can probably get one cheaper

better than coming home to a huge bill

Actually I ordered a new camera for my DH last week as a Christmas present, but it has not arrived in the mail yet.

I don't want to order a second one.

I suggested we borrow one, but DH does not appear interested.

BTW, I am also sleepless trying to get all of us packed. There will be plenty of time for rest later. :)

Yes but if you accidentally hit the wrong button and turn data on you could have a big bill. I work in IT and I see that all the time when people go overseas..

We will have to be very careful about this. Scary.

Actually I ordered a new camera for my DH last week as a Christmas present, but it has not arrived in the mail yet.

I don't want to order a second one.

I suggested we borrow one, but DH does not appear interested.

BTW, I am also sleepless trying to get all of us packed. There will be plenty of time for rest later. :)

I will be the guy sleeping on the lido deck in a few hours do not disturb.

Have a great cruise looking forward to your review

I will be the guy sleeping on the lido deck in a few hours do not disturb.

Have a great cruise looking forward to your review

Thanks! You too!

I am a bit sleepy, but I think I got all our stuff packed and have taken care of the tasks necessary to allow us to leave for the port city (San Diego). We are picking up my Mom along the way.

DH is driving, and I plan on napping during the journey.

Dinner at Studio Diner (I already know what I am ordering too - the Monte Cristo sandwich) and sleeping at the Comfort Inn at Hotel Circle.

I always travel with my iPhone and put it in airplane mode. I've never incurred extra charges and the battery lasts longer, too, because it isn't searching for a signal. It's pretty hard to accidentally take it out of airplane mode, as you have to go into settings and turn airplane mode off. I'm sure you'll be fine. Have a great time.

I'm with Verizon. Right before our cruise, I called them and added a global package to my Droid. It worked perfectly...no extra charges on my bill. When I got home, I simply called Verizon and had it taken off. The charge for global packaging is $60.00 a month. They break down the charge per day and since I only had it on my plan for a little over a week, it only cost me around $15.00! It seemed WELL worth it to me. I liked not having to worry about constantly checking my phone to make sure it was still in airplane mode and I wanted to keep my phone on so my children (18 and 21) could get in touch with me if they needed to. :)

You should have no problem whatsoever with putting your iphone in airplane mode and keeping it there. I kept mine on for our last 7 day trip and didn't have any "surprise" charges. The battery even lasted the entire trip with just using the iPod and playing a few games. I didn't have to charge it until the last night to make sure I had a full charge when they kicked me off the ship the next morning.

I am glad you have successfully done this with your iPhone.

I am at the hotel pool watching our kids swim. The Comfort Inn on south Hotel Circle has a really nice pool and jacuzzi area. They even have a separate 1 ft kiddie pool. Our kids were stuck in the car for several hours and have to work off some pent up energy.

Embarking in roughly 14 hours.....So excited!!! It is gonna be hard to sleep tonight. Maybe I should go for a swim too...to work off some of this excitement.

Archived