11/18 - 12/5 Solstice Review (long) with Photos

eastoftheboston

Hi OP,

Nice review. I was esp. interested in the comments on Aqua Class. I'm cruising Aqua class in March. it was only $80.00 over a basic baloncy (PP) was hoping it was worth it.

If you have the Blu menu PDFs could you send those to me? Also interested in any news about ping pong tournaments.

Thanks,

Mike hockeyboy09@msn.com

Hi OP,

Nice review. I was esp. interested in the comments on Aqua Class. I'm cruising Aqua class in March. it was only $80.00 over a basic baloncy (PP) was hoping it was worth it.

If you have the Blu menu PDFs could you send those to me? Also interested in any news about ping pong tournaments.

Thanks,

Mike hockeyboy09@msn.com

I don't have the Blu menus, but in terms of planning, they display the menu for the day outside the restaurant, so you can plan ahead each day by going down and checking it out. I'm trying to think of some of the things I had...

For appetizers I had spring rolls, a fried brie, and I know they had some things with shrimp and seafood in them.

For the soup and salad course, I had Tortilla Soup one night, an asparagus soup another night, and am coming up blank right now on the rest.

Other nice things in AQ rooms, you get free bottled water, not big evian bottles, but the smaller 500ml bottles. Supposedly 2 per day, but whenever i asked for more with a note to the steward I got it. Each day they also give you a carafe of iced tea.

The amenities in the bathroom are nice, too! And like I said, the shower is awesome. And they have umbrellas, binoculars, hair dryers etc in the room for you to use, in addition to slippers and upgraded robes.

It was also convenient to get to the pools just one deck up, and the buffet was 2 decks up.

Just a quick comment to confirm what Mark has been saying. We were on the same cruise -- not in Aqua level -- and had a wonderful time. Service was excellent, activities more plentiful than we could imagine, food quite good and a huge variety. Very beautiful ship.

Totally agree with the wasted "Earth Lounge" which was near our stateroom. I actually went into it for a few minutes to try to get engaged with the videos and interactive screens, which clearly cost a pretty penny. It failed -- and I even like science and nature. Perhaps if the weather outdoors hadn't been so inviting?

Great pictures, Mark. Thanks for sharing.

Great review!! I appreciate everything you have so graciously shared with us, I can't wait to experience some of these sights with my own eyes! Sounds and looks like my first cruise will be on a wonderful ship!! Thanks again...

Wings,

My only worry is that if you're having your first cruise on the Solstice, you've started off with the best class of ship, and everything else might be downhill!

Mark, thanks for the great review and pictures. Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. We were on the sailing also and I'm sorry to say missed the CC get together...wasn't feeling well for most of the cruise. It was our third time on Solstice and first in Aqua Class which we loved. We had such fabulous service in Blu. Our waiter Igor was wonderful. I noticed you mentioned the shower. They are fantastic! We'll only sail AQ in the future. Loved Persian Gardens although I'm not a fan of the new-agey music played in spas and it was driving me a little nutty. Good thing I had my iPod.

I must say though that I thought the service in a couple areas had declined. I especially thought the Guest Relations staff that I had contact with seemed bored with their jobs and the guests. I was not impressed by them. We also had room service orders that were cold and with items omitted on several occasions. We have had great service throughout the ship on our previous sailings. I noted this decline on my comment card as well as raves about AQ.

Disembarkation was bad and so different from the two previous occasions at Pier 18. I'm pretty sure we'll be canceling our booked April sailing because of the mess at the pier. We had planned to bring our son, daughter-in-law and three year old grandson with us. Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with MS this past summer and I can't see putting her through that disembarkation fiasco. She could be having a bad morning that day and it would be very rough on her. Not worth it. I think we'll be booking a beach house for a summer vacation instead.

Boy do I miss the gorgeous Caribbean sun.! There's snow on the ground, more on the way and it's COOOOLD here in the Chicago area. I want my balcony back.

Thanks again for your review.

Elizabeth

Archived