Port Canaveral rumors???

Just looking at the Sydney Port Schedule (Australia) for December 2012 and noticed a berth booking for Radiance Class vessel. It is also showing Radiance ots and Rhapsody ots listed also. Going by this it looks like Australia will be increasing the number of RCCL ships in our waters. Any rumor which one will be coming down under?

Just looking at the Sydney Port Schedule (Australia) for December 2012 and noticed a berth booking for Radiance Class vessel. It is also showing Radiance ots and Rhapsody ots listed also. Going by this it looks like Australia will be increasing the number of RCCL ships in our waters. Any rumor which one will be coming down under?

Haven't heard any rumors, but could you please give me a link to the schedule?

This is for the development of cruise terminal 6. That is a site that is not used, but, is adjacent to the terminal used for the Sensation. That could be where the Carnival Dream goes--she currently sails from the Royal terminal.

The Royal terminal (and parking) now accommodates the Monarch, the Freedom and the Dream. The Dream leaves on Sat and the Freedom on Sun. They could not bring in a 3rd big ship for that terminal because they wouldn't run a 7 day cruise on Friday or Monday.

It is possible if the Dream moves, that the Royal terminal could accommodate the Enchantment and the Oasis!!!!!

HoooRah!

The major indication that something larger is planned is the cut they're proposing in the RFP for the west turning basin. The specs call for everything east of the current Carnival dock to be removed all the way up to the eastside service road. That is a huge pie-shaped section of land. Removing it would permit much larger ships to negotiate the basin. If I read the RFP correctly, all of that fill is supposed to be redeposited at the end of the existing RCI/Carnival dock/spit, which would just about double its buildable space.

I read somewhere that Royal Caribbean's deal with Ft. Lauderdale is to have a certain amount of passengers cruising from that port each year through 2014. This would mean that Oasis and Allure could leave Ft. Lauderdale at anytime, but a ship would have to replace them (probably a large one too) in order to keep a certain amount of passengers cruising from the port each year.

given the amount of money that has been spent on a terminal that can easily handle the numbers of passengers that Oasis and Allure process every week, the proximity of two major international airports (Miami and FLL) to the cruise terminal, and the ability to maximize the ports that these ships can easily include in their itineraries, I am at a loss to understand why moving either ship to another port would be advantageous to RCI. It might please those prospective passengers who live closer to another port, but most of those can almost as easily reach Port Everglades, while those who are coming from a distant location can much more easily access Port Everglades than most other ports in Florida.

Any competing port authorities would have to offer some outstanding value to the line for them to even briefly consider moving those ships.:)

Thanks for the chuckle! Too often we've been heading into the 895 tunnel as the ship is going by.... we get sad. Can't imagine going over the bridge as it's going under... might be tempted to pull over and hop on! :-)

Allure will just snuggle up to the bridge and we'll board right there from the bridge deck.;)

We were recently on the radiance and the crew said they would be going to Alaska next, then to Hawaii as they head to Austrailia.

Majesty just received a major overhaul and stretch job in 2007, pretty sure she is up to regulation.

So I just got off the Majesty this morning and at the C&A party the hotel director said there are discussions about the future of Majesty (and presumably Monarch). According to him, no decisions are being made, but the least likely of three choices would be that the Majesty would continue doing the 3/4 night itineraries in 2012. More likely to be sold to a subsidiary or another option. At that point another, probably larger, ship would most likely take it's place.

There were a lot of "maybe" and "mights" and "probably" statements in his statement, but it is certainly up for discussion by RCCL!

This is for the development of cruise terminal 6. That is a site that is not used, but, is adjacent to the terminal used for the Sensation. That could be where the Carnival Dream goes--she currently sails from the Royal terminal.

The Royal terminal (and parking) now accommodates the Monarch, the Freedom and the Dream. The Dream leaves on Sat and the Freedom on Sun. They could not bring in a 3rd big ship for that terminal because they wouldn't run a 7 day cruise on Friday or Monday.

It is possible if the Dream moves, that the Royal terminal could accommodate the Enchantment and the Oasis!!!!!

HoooRah!

The Pt. Canaveral Authority is extremly proactive. It is my understanding from the many articles I have followed in Florida Today (local newspaper) that there is no cruise line or ship designated for this new terminal. Indeed, they feel that it is worth the time and money to plan ahead. ie build it and they will come!. So far, Pt. Canaveral is the second busiest cruise port in the United States and ranks behind Miami. The two new Disney ships will be home ported here. They already began enlarging the turn around basis last year with dredging. And they are actively encoraging it as a port-of-call with several ships stopping on their way from the north east ports.

They are also seeking to develop a plan for the downtown "cove area" so that passengers can take a quick shuttle to shopping, restaraunts, et, seq.

Given the proximity to beaches and Orlando, it is poised to be discovered by many more cruisers and cruiselines. Its one of the main reasons we retired to this area, the port is 15 minutes away.

CocoaBob

The Pt. Canaveral Authority is extremly proactive. It is my understanding from the many articles I have followed in Florida Today (local newspaper) that there is no cruise line or ship designated for this new terminal. Indeed, they feel that it is worth the time and money to plan ahead. ie build it and they will come!. So far, Pt. Canaveral is the second busiest cruise port in the United States and ranks behind Miami. The two new Disney ships will be home ported here. They already began enlarging the turn around basis last year with dredging. And they are actively encoraging it as a port-of-call with several ships stopping on their way from the north east ports.

They are also seeking to develop a plan for the downtown "cove area" so that passengers can take a quick shuttle to shopping, restaraunts, et, seq.

Given the proximity to beaches and Orlando, it is poised to be discovered by many more cruisers and cruiselines. Its one of the main reasons we retired to this area, the port is 15 minutes away.

CocoaBob

Hmmm. I thought Port Everglades was the second busiest cruise port now, with Port Canaveral third. It's also expected to pass Miami and become the busiest one in the next few years with the new additions it's had/getting.

Hmmm. I thought Port Everglades was the second busiest cruise port now, with Port Canaveral third. It's also expected to pass Miami and become the busiest one in the next few years with the new additions it's had/getting.

I hate to eat crow: 2009 final statistics.

Miami 2,032,000

FLL 1,277,000

Pt.C. 1,189,000

Now with Oasis & Allure at FLL, the gap should widen for the 2010 statistics. (from the US DOT 2009 report on ports, BTW Carnival leads the pack with most passengers with RCL second!)

Even with the Carnival Dream, FOS, and the new two Disney ships coming to town, it might not beat FLL (unless we can convince RCl to move one of the mega ships here!) But hey, Norwegian now has the Sun here and their fleet is making more port of call stops....

I guess I'll have to get the statistics up by adding a few more cruises.

Miami 2,032,000

FLL 1,277,000

Pt.C. 1,189,000

Now with Oasis & Allure at FLL, the gap should widen for the 2010 statistics. (from the US DOT 2009 report on ports, BTW Carnival leads the pack with most passengers with RCL second!)

Even with the Carnival Dream, FOS, and the new two Disney ships coming to town, it might not beat FLL (unless we can convince RCl to move one of the mega ships here!) But hey, Norwegian now has the Sun here and their fleet is making more port of call stops....

The Carnival Pride makes almost weekly port stops to Port Canaveral. Also the Enchantment and Explorer make a few port stops there too.

Miami 2,032,000

FLL 1,277,000

Pt.C. 1,189,000

Don't count on Oasis or Allure moving out of FLL anytime soon....they didn't build terminal 18 just to move these ships out.

FLL will trump MIA next year to take the #1 spot.

Assuming the above numbers are correct, and Oasis and Allure take 12,000 passengers per week, that is an extra 624,000 passengers. Thus the numbers would change to ...

Miami 2,032,000

FLL 1,901,000

Meaning, FLL is still in second place.

Was on Freedom Thanksgiving. At the special Diamond & Diamond plus breakfast we had one of the Sr officers at our table and he mentioned that Freedom was going to be moving to Cape Liberty NJ in 2012.

Lisa

That would explain why on the RC website, there aren't any dates for Freedom, after April 2012.

We we're hoping to book in June 2012 for the Western Caribbean. But I guess not....

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Assuming the above numbers are correct, and Oasis and Allure take 12,000 passengers per week, that is an extra 624,000 passengers. Thus the numbers would change to ...

Miami 2,032,000

FLL 1,901,000

Meaning, FLL is still in second place.

Don't foget the Liberty has also been pulled from Miami so reducing their numbers even further

Originally Posted by papakaiser viewpost.gif

Don't mean to throw a fly in the ointment here, but RCI signed a 5 year deal with Port Canaveral to base Freedom there for 5 years, with the option of two, one year contract extentions.

They also had signed a contract with the Port of LA for the Mariner for 5 years and now exactly after 2 years arrividerci Mariner.

Is it a coincidence.....

Mariner bids farewell after 2 years to Port of Los Angeles....and 4 days later Disney arrives. And all the work that's going on at the new Disney Cruise Terminal. It'll be truly WONDERful, MAGICal, and DREAMlike.

RC would have to come up with an alternative to Monarch if she is moved, as they make money on her 2 ways. Firstly, these inexpensive cruises are almost always full. amd everyone seems to be in a spending mood. Secondly, and maybe more important, many many people are introduced to cruising on a Monarch 3 or 4 day cruise, and fall in love with it. We are repeat Royal cruisers because of the great times we had on Monarch, and I know from other threads that there are many like us. So if she leaves PC, a very convenient port for many, RC will have to come up with an equivalent replacement.

That would explain why on the RC website, there aren't any dates for Freedom, after April 2012.

We we're hoping to book in June 2012 for the Western Caribbean. But I guess not....

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Itineraries for most ships except Oasis and Allure are not available for sale past April 2012. They will be opened up starting this spring.

Was on Freedom Thanksgiving. At the special Diamond & Diamond plus breakfast we had one of the Sr officers at our table and he mentioned that Freedom was going to be moving to Cape Liberty NJ in 2012.

Lisa

I think it is Liberty that will be coming to Cape Liberty.

Archived