Port Canaveral rumors???

Agreed, how many rumors have been covered here for ships (lol). :D

snowbird1

The improvements of Port Canaveral are not rumors; they are reality.

In the November/December 2010 Transporter Canaveral Magazine; it lists Major Construction Projects which have already been approved.

"The Canaveral Port Authority Board of Directors at the October meeting unanimously approved a decision to move ahead with the design of three major new projects- Cruise Terminal 6 (CT6); North Cargo Terminal 5; and North Cargo Terminal 8".

"The Commission approved the financing, which will make it possible to complete CT6 and one of the two cargo piers by mid 2012, and begin construction of the second pier in that year".

The magazine also shows where they will be located and the widening of the turning basin.

So something will be happening.

snowbird1

The improvements of Port Canaveral are not rumors; they are reality.

In the November/December 2010 Transporter Canaveral Magazine; it lists Major Construction Projects which have already been approved.

"The Canaveral Port Authority Board of Directors at the October meeting unanimously approved a decision to move ahead with the design of three major new projects- Cruise Terminal 6 (CT6); North Cargo Terminal 5; and North Cargo Terminal 8".

"The Commission approved the financing, which will make it possible to complete CT6 and one of the two cargo piers by mid 2012, and begin construction of the second pier in that year".

The magazine also shows where they will be located and the widening of the turning basin.

So something will be happening.

Quick question.....

Are you actually living on the cruise ships? I have heard of individuals who take B2B2B2B. After reviewing your signature block, I got dizzy. Whats the secrets? You must live near the port?

The Pt. Canaveral Authority is extremly proactive . . . So far, Pt. Canaveral is the second busiest cruise port in the United States and ranks behind Miami . . .

Given the proximity to beaches and Orlando, it is poised to be discovered by many more cruisers and cruiselines. Its one of the main reasons we retired to this area, the port is 15 minutes away.

CocoaBob

I agree. Port Canaveral is very attractive to many people because of its proximity to Orlando. For many of us in the Southern states, Port Canaveral is a much shorter drive than Miami, making it more practical for a family that wants to cruise but can't afford to fly to it's port city.

Note that prices for Port Canaveral sailings tend to be just a bit higher than those in Miami. That seems to indicate that it's an in- demand location.

I agree. Port Canaveral is very attractive to many people because of its proximity to Orlando. For many of us in the Southern states, Port Canaveral is a much shorter drive than Miami, making it more practical for a family that wants to cruise but can't afford to fly to it's port city.

Note that prices for Port Canaveral sailings tend to be just a bit higher than those in Miami. That seems to indicate that it's an in- demand location.

We feel the same way that you do about the convenience of driving to Port C. Would rather pay a little less but glad that ships at this port command higher prices so RCI will continue to keep good ships there.

For many of us in the Southern states, Port Canaveral is a much shorter drive than Miami

Agreed. A lot of people outside the South don't understand just how long Florida is. It's farther from Port Canaveral to Miami that it is from New York City to Baltimore, for example.

The ships are fairly new. The Freedom of the Seas replaced the Mariner of the Seas and the Carnival Glory was replaced by the Carnival's largest ship the Dream. Of course, the Disney ships are in a cost category by themselves. While the Monarch of the Seas and the Carnival Sensation sre reasonable, the NCL SUN is not granting many bargains. Now with the new Disney ships coming in 2011 and 2012, the cost level will be raised again.

We have sailed the Glory while home ported at PT. C. And the prices were reasonable. I guess what I am trying to say is that with all these new ships coming into Pt. C., the prices have/will be going higher as the demand for the newer ships peak. But not having to travel and/or pay for parking, flights is worth the extra cost.

Agreed. A lot of people outside the South don't understand just how long Florida is. It's farther from Port Canaveral to Miami that it is from New York City to Baltimore, for example.
Driving to Miami adds another 3 - 3 1/2 hours for us as opposed to Port C but it is still better than dealing with the nasty airlines. I find that once you get past Melbourne, it goes pretty fast as we cut over to the Turnpike. We usually stay in the Plantation area and the next morning, we either take 595 into Port Everglades or take the Turnpike until it deadends and take I-95 into Miami.

I checked a map. Florida is only about three inches long.

Last I heard from 2 reliable inside sources is that there will be some movement of ships in the next few years. They would not disclose which ones but assured me it would be happening.;)

Well thank you Puffy, that certainly clears things up! LOL

I live in Cape Canaveral, FL ....Port Canaveral is currently accepting bids for a new cruise terminal and a new parking garage to be built in addition to accepting bids for dredging the channel. Here is the link to their website showing the invitations for bids:

http://www.portcanaveral.com/general/bids.php

Yes, 110,000 sq. ft. Oasis/Alure terminal 18 in Port Everglades is 240,000 Sq ft. more then twice the size

Archived