Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RonPaula

Pesos or Dollars

ATMS are located everywhere :) Princess will gorge you with their exchange rate

That's what I figured re: Princess. But, I don't want to be stuck with Pesos after the trip!

That's what I figured re: Princess. But, I don't want to be stuck with Pesos after the trip!

Just buy small amounts that you know you will use during the port stops

Depends on if you are shopping or eating at a restaurant how much you will need.

We are not shoppers so I will get about 500 that should do for a few snacks onshore

You can always give the leftover to the crew fund ;)

Just buy small amounts that you know you will use during the port stops

Depends on if you are shopping or eating at a restaurant how much you will need.

We are not shoppers so I will get about 500 that should do for a few snacks onshore

You can always give the leftover to the crew fund ;)

Good idea giving leftover pesos to the crew! I hadn't thought of that.

We are down in Mexico so much that any leftover Pesos go into the travel wallet. I like the idea of giving any left over unwanted pesos to the staff in addition to the Auto tip.

Thanks for your kind responses. Just wanted to know what was the right thing to do. It is because of the recent changes and some of the ambiguity regarding them that I was hoping for a definitive answer. I certainly got that! Not that concerned about getting the best exchange rate.

We spend winters in Manzanillo and there is a definite difference this year as far as US dollars are concerned. The Cambios (money changers) DO NOT take US dollars at all, they will take Canadian, Japanese, etc. but not US. Even taxi drivers do not want US as they can't change it easily. It used to be that our US dollar was welcomed but not anymore.

As others have said, go to an ATM and get pesos, it will make life much easier. Also, the symbol for peso is $, so if you see something that is $100, it is not 100 USD, it is 100 pesos, about $8 USD right now. So, the hamburger that is $60 is not really 60 USD!! (yes, I hear tourists who think that is the case)

Businesses on the “tourist trails” are hurting.

In almost all places dollars are most welcome.

We just came back from Mexico on the Oosterdam and had no problems with dollars.

There are ATM’s in port so you can get some Pesos for your day in port. (check the rates)

We have only been to Ensenada on our cruises to Mexico and have never had to exchange to pesos. Everywhere we went in Ensenada took dollars.

For our upcoming Cabo cruise, will it be about the same if we are just buying little things, lunch, and some drinks? I don't mind exchanging if necessary, but will Cabo Wabo want pesos? Also, how does the ATM machine work - just like here in the US? Do we just use our credit card in it? Are there fees?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but we just want to be prepared....

Thanks in advance!

We have only been to Ensenada on our cruises to Mexico and have never had to exchange to pesos. Everywhere we went in Ensenada took dollars.

For our upcoming Cabo cruise, will it be about the same if we are just buying little things, lunch, and some drinks? I don't mind exchanging if necessary, but will Cabo Wabo want pesos? Also, how does the ATM machine work - just like here in the US? Do we just use our credit card in it? Are there fees?

Thanks in advance!

Restaurants and stores in Cabo are still taking US dollars but they prefer pesos. If you insist on using USD expect to get an unfavorable exchange rate. The ATMs are the same as here, the ones at banks may have a small fee of about $3 and your own bank may charge a fee to use another banks machine- check with your bank to check what the rates may be.

Just like here, do not use the free standing ATMs that you find in restaurants or bars. These are privately owned and just like here have very high fees.

Thanks in advance!

These are not dumb questions at all :)

Until now it was easy enough for those who wanted to use USD, I personally don't think it was right being that Mexico has it's own currancy but it certainly was easy, minus losing out on a 10-1 exchange rate that so many shops and taxi drivers had.

Check with your bank as well we use our HSBC card at HSBC ATMS (they seemed to be all over the place) when in Mexico and withdraw 3000 pesos at a time (usually enough for at least two port days if not three) and when we get home we phone our local HSBC and they reverse all of those $3.00 charges.

Thanks HH and Quincy!

So, if we go into say Cabo Wabo and order a drink, they are going to tell us how much in pesos?

In Ensenada, the bars and shops all quoted prices in USD, not pesos. Will the bars or shops in Cabo quote in USD and then we have to do the math (might be difficult later in the day after some drinks - lol), or will they quote pesos? Or both?

Thanks HH and Quincy!

So, if we go into say Cabo Wabo and order a drink, they are going to tell us how much in pesos?

In Ensenada, the bars and shops all quoted prices in USD, not pesos. Will the bars or shops in Cabo quote in USD and then we have to do the math (might be difficult later in the day after some drinks - lol), or will they quote pesos? Or both?

Most places will quote both but as I mentioned above, the exchange to USD won't be in your favor. As an example you may see a drink listed at $10USD or $100MX. If you use pesos, that $100MX is really only about $8.

As I posted earlier...

If you are only in port for a day, or just a few hours, and plan no significant purchases, dollars should be fine.

It's difficult to decide in advance just how much you will spend, and how many Pesos you should buy.

Our first trip to Cabo was in March, on NCL. We loved it! So much so that we decided that it was better to spend a week ashore, rather than 4 days at sea and only 9 hours in Cabo.

We went back for a week in Cabo in September, and are scheduled for another week in March. We use Pesos whenever we can, but we also have a whole week to spend our Pesos, and those that we do not spend we'll throw in a jar for next time.

If you are going to be in Mexico on a cruise, and only plan on having a meal or two, maybe several beers, and have questions if you will ever go there again, then buy small US bills onboard (at the ship's purser) to spend ashore, as converting Pesos back into US is a PIA. Even if you pay 10:1 for using dollars while ashore (and we have NEVER had this happen), then it might be worth it.

While ashore, if you find an expensive baubble that you just have to have...then find a cambio and exchange your dollars for Pesos, otherwise go fourth with your dollars. I assure you, no harm will fall on you for it, regardless of what the "purists" here may have to say.

My $0.02 worth