so confused on beaches

pbrady

We just got back from our Christmas cruise. After going ziplining (very fun), we wanted to go to a beach. We took a taxi from the terminal and asked to go to a beach. I had left my information on the ship and couldn't remember if I wanted to go to Friars or Frigate, so we just asked where the good snorkeling was. He said Cockleshell. I had had my doubts as I remember the forum saying it wasn't all that good, but we said okay.

The driver stopped at some photo op lookouts on the way. We said we wanted to be at the beach for a few hours. He said he'd wait. I was worried what the cost would be having him wait. My taxi "receipt" said $6.5 per person, but since he was waiting, I was thinking it might be 65 pp.

Cockleshell beach has decent facilities and the Reggae Bar. We had conch fritters, which were good, and a bucket of beer, which was cold. The beach was full of shells and full of flies. I did not think it was nice at all, but it had food, beer, facilities, watersports, and terrible snorkeling. My daughter and husband could not see anything in the water. Don't know if that's normal or because of a storm. We ended up leaving after an hour and a half because of the flies. The cost of the taxi was $52 with tip.

Are there any regulars out there that can tell me the these flies are normal at Cockleshell Beach? Or, maybe just be because of a storm? We will be there the end of February & I hate to shuttle the whole group out there only to turn around and go back to the port area.

Having been to both Cockleshell and South Friar's, why not consider the latter. It's less expensive to get to and I found the beach and bar to be just as good.

Have done S. Frigate and Cockleshell, thinking of doing S. Friar this time. How bad are the port-a-johns?

Sailing on the Grand on 1/17. We've been to Frigate several times (Mr X Shiggidy Shack), but last year the water was really dirty and the sandy bottom was mushy so we're afraid to try it again. Does anyone have any recent updates on the beach conditions there, or should we try South Friars.

Also been to the Marriott, but the water is really pretty rough on that side.

Thanks.

Archived