Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

niknik

Things to Do - My Review

Stephuney, I think Jenx decided to go to Xcaret. Have you heard back from them? How much do they charge?

From what I read in JenX's reviews, she did not use this private tour company. Bummer, I really wanted to find out if others have used them and liked it.

We just returned from Tulum. We also hooked up with Daniel and Eduardo Romano at Edventures. We did most of the things above plus we snorkeled for giant turtles. My kids thought this was the best day of the trip. They are girls ages 9 and 10. The underground rivers (cenotes) were fantastic and again because he was a local we ran into no tour buses. We were a little nervous when we piled 13 of us (12 plus Eduardo) into 2 cars not much bigger than a VW Beetle. But the day turned out perfect and returned us all safely to our all inclusive resort.

I would highly recommend him to anyone.:)

Yeah!!! We just booked with Edventures for our trip to Tulum!!!! Eduardo sent me our itinerary and we are going to have soooo much fun! Thank you for all the wonderful advice!!!!:)

How funny!!!!!! We bumped into this guy while in Tulum a couple of weeks ago and while trying to sell the tour to us, he actually handed me a copy of the original post of this thread!

We didn't do the guided tour, though, we didn't have enough time left when we ran into him. We did do a lagoon (Yal-ku) and beach (Akumal) with him, though.

Def. most awesome day of our cruise!:D

We ran across this thread 3 days ago and decided to book with Edventuretours also. We are all (6 of us) very excited. Emailing w/Eduardo and Bonnie, they seem great and said they will be looking for us when we are driving to their shop in Tulum. Will post our experience in a couple of weeks.

Tim

NikNik: what did you do with all your stuff (docs, money, etc.)while you went snorkling and swimming? Did you take it with you in the water (via waterproof pouch) or did they have someplace you could safely stow it?

Well, we are recently back from our experience in Calica and with Eduardo and Bonnie at Edventuretours. To sum up the day, it was "awesome". We were on Carnival Cruise and Calica was our first stop. I had set up everything with Eddie and Bonnie the week before. We(6 of us) rented a van and were off to Tulum - the ruins are right by their shop. It was about a 30 minute ride and we got to the shop about 10 AM. We toured the ruins while Bonnie went to get us beer, water and soda(all included by her). The ruins were neat, but I was really looking to snorkel. After about an hour in the ruins, we went back and Eddie got us outfitted with our snorkeling gear. Bonnie then took us to the Cenotes Dos Ojos(Dos Ojos stands for 2 eyes) and the experience was incredible. We snorkeled amongst the stalagmites and stalagtites for about an hour. She even took us into a cave opening which was back into the caves a bit. The water was crystal clear and she provided flashlights so you could see deeper into the water. All 6 of us agreed that if the tour stopped there, we were completely happy.

Next we went to a marina on the ocean to look at sea turtles. We were skunked and Bonnie kept trying to find them, but they did not want to be found. We did see a huge stingray on the bottom of the ocean floor next to the reef. That was cool. Eddie brought a tour through later and took pictures of the turtles so we could see them.

Next we went to La Buena Vida for lunch with Bonnie. It was great food and we were only sitting about 10 feet from the ocean as we ate our mexican lunch.

We then went to a lagoon where there were numerous types of tropical fish and they are swimming all around you. We were being pushed to get back to the ship, so we only spent about 1/2 hour there, but the experience was incredible.

Overall, the tour was the highlight of our weeklong cruise. Bonnie was great and the cost for all of this(excluding lunch) was $45 per person. That does not include the van we rented. Just as a reference - people could book the Tulum Ruin tour through the cruise ship. This included a 45 minute bus trip to Tulum with 100 other people, a 2-hour tour of the ruins(we spent about an hour and saw everything), and a 45 minute trip back to the ship. For this, the cost was $189/person.

Many thanks to Bonnie and Eddie and they have my sincere recommendation. They are doing it right. If anyone has questions, please email me @

Tim Curtin

tcurtin@heritagepropane.com

Tim-

I am so glad you posted your review. I can't wait for our turn! What did you do with all your stuff when you went snorkling and "turtle watching"?

We actually had a van rented, therefore we were able to leave the van locked with all our stuff in it. I don't know how you are traveling, but there are not a bunch of tourists or many people at all for that matter around. Hope you have a great time.

Tim

We are leaving in less than two weeks and will eventually end up in Calica for a day. Based on Niknik's and Tim's recommendations, I have contacted edventures (Daniel, Eduardo, Bonnie, et al.) and hope to be able to hire them for the six of us (6 adults, one kid). I'll let you know how it goes!

NikNik: what did you do with all your stuff (docs, money, etc.)while you went snorkling and swimming? Did you take it with you in the water (via waterproof pouch) or did they have someplace you could safely stow it?

All of the places that we went had virtually no one there, so we were comfortable leaving our belongings (beach bag, towel, etc.) on the dry land with Daniel while we snorkeled and swam. As far as our money and valuables, we left those locked in the jeep that we rented.

All of the places that we went had virtually no one there, so we were comfortable leaving our belongings (beach bag, towel, etc.) on the dry land with Daniel while we snorkeled and swam. As far as our money and valuables, we left those locked in the jeep that we rented.

niknik, my sister and I are going on July 18th to Playa and Cozumel on the Holiday and I have some questions for you about edventure tours.

are their rates the same year round or do they change with the seasons as most other things do? We are intrigues by the reviews people have given them and think we may want to go that route rather than the "herded cattle" type tour route. How far in advance do you think we should email them about it?

Any further info would be helpful please? And thanks.....

niknik, my sister and I are going on July 18th to Playa and Cozumel on the Holiday and I have some questions for you about edventure tours.

are their rates the same year round or do they change with the seasons as most other things do? We are intrigues by the reviews people have given them and think we may want to go that route rather than the "herded cattle" type tour route. How far in advance do you think we should email them about it?

Any further info would be helpful please? And thanks.....

I've been on the Holiday three times. It's a great ship! I don't think that they charge seasonally. I could be wrong though. I'd go ahead and book now...now that they're getting more popular and then e-mail them again a week prior to the cruise to confirm everything. Have a great time!

Hey niknik!

How plentiful are the rental cars at Executive in Playa? We want to rent a jeep; do they usually go fast or not? Also, when you rent from them, is it credit card or cash or either?

Thanks

:)

Gusty,

FYI. We rented a van from Executive in Playa in May - Carnival Sensation 5/02/2005. We reserved one online through their website. I had to put 15% down on my credit card and paid the rest on cc at arrival. They do everything in pesos, so don't be shocked when the bill shows hundreds of dollars - it's actually pesos. I was a little worried about the transaction and such, but everything was done very professionally and I believe they would take cash - but don't know for sure. The Executive booth is just past a line of shops after getting off the boat - no more than 200 foot walk. Enjoy.

Tim

Hey niknik!

How plentiful are the rental cars at Executive in Playa? We want to rent a jeep; do they usually go fast or not? Also, when you rent from them, is it credit card or cash or either?

[/font][/size]

The jeeps are usually pretty plentiful..depending on the time of year that you go. I usually cruise in off season. You might want to send them an e-mail and book it ahead of time. You can book with a credit card. Actually a credit card might be required as a security deposit. i'm not sure...as I've always used a credit card anyway.

Edventure Tours are wonderful. Thanks for your write up and recommendations. It was the highlight of our trip.

Sandy:)

Just wondering if your trip and arrangement turned out well. We will be going next month and this sounds great.. how did it go?

On the website for Executive Car Rental, in Playa del Carmen you have to choose the downtown location. Is that the only location? In an earlier post, Tim had said Executive was only about 200 ft from the dock. I don't want to pick the wrong location! Also, I'm a little confused about the port Playa del Carmen and Calica. Are there 2 different ports we could dock at or are they the same? I believe we will be tendered. Thanks for your help!

NikNiks, In your pictures you have men swinging on poles. Where and when is this. It looks interesting but I couldn't find anything like it listed on these sites.

Linda

NikNiks, In your pictures you have men swinging on poles. Where and when is this. It looks interesting but I couldn't find anything like it listed on these sites.

Linda

The men swinging on poles was at Tulum. It's kind of like a show that goes on at Tulum and they also do it in Cozumel. It's not something anyone just pays to do.

On the website for Executive Car Rental, in Playa del Carmen you have to choose the downtown location. Is that the only location? In an earlier post, Tim had said Executive was only about 200 ft from the dock. I don't want to pick the wrong location! Also, I'm a little confused about the port Playa del Carmen and Calica. Are there 2 different ports we could dock at or are they the same? I believe we will be tendered. Thanks for your help!

Executive does have vehicles in Calica. You have to e-mail them or call to book and to get the rates. There is not the option of booking online for this location. Playa del Carmen and Calica are not the same port. They are about 15 miles apart. You don't tender in Calica. There is a pier.