Coconut Grove Questions

smg873

We'll be staying at the Sonesta in Coconut Grove the night before our cruise in Feb. Is there a liquor store within easy (and safe) walking distance? I'd like to get a few bottles of wine. What about a CVS or Walgreen's? I'd like to avoid dealing with all of our toiletries in the checked luggage on the plane. I've read that there's a CVS a few blocks down Grande Ave - is it a safe area to be walking in? Thanks!

Don't walk down to the CVS on Grande, assuming it's the CVS I'm thinking of. I wouldn't walk beyond 32nd Avenue even in the daylight. I believe that CVS is located beyond 32nd Avenue which means you would be leaving "The Grove". It's a very small area there, but it's like a line drawn in the sand and you just don't cross it. The Grove is fine, but don't wander out of it and don't get too close to the edge; just on the otherside looks gangsterous (is that a word?) with drug dealers on the corners. I don't even drive over there, much less walk. There is a visible difference in your surroundings when you are about to step outside of the Grove. It's like that all over Miami, even in the very upscale Coral Gables neighborhoods.

There used to be a very nice wine and exotic deli store in the Grove called The Cherry on Top, but it has closed. I’ll look to see if there is something else and report back. A few blocks away (a very short cab ride) is Flanagan’s Liquor Store at the corner of Bird Road and 27th Avenue. I’d walk there from the Sonesta on a nice day. Perhaps equally as far is the Fresh Market on Bayshore Drive next to the marinas. The walk along the waterline getting there is very nice. Look at Mapquest and determine whether you’d want to walk there. If you’re going to be buying more than you’d like to "take a walk" with, just grab a cab.

Thanks! Is the walk to Flanagan's okay at night as well? I've read good things about their restaurant here, so I thought maybe we'd head over there for dinner, and buy our wine before heading back to the hotel. A walk of a few blocks is nothing to us.

There is a Publix one block south of the miracle mile and at Le Jeune road I think it is.I know it in behind that old fashioned theater on the miracle mile road area or across from the place they have the farmers market.I have been going there the last 2 years.I usually stay at the Westin Collande...

There is a Publix one block south of the miracle mile and at Le Jeune road I think it is.I know it in behind that old fashioned theater on the miracle mile road area or across from the place they have the farmers market.I have been going there the last 2 years.I usually stay at the Westin Collande...

Sorry,I was thinking Coral Gables !!!

I found some interesting info on The Grove - there is a self-guided walking tour, for those who may be staying more than just sleeping overnight. http://gomiami.about.com/od/sightseeingtours/ss/cocogrovetour.htm

Flanigan's is one of my favorite local places for an inexpensive dinner. Prime rib, potato, a huge Ceasar salad, 3 buttery garlic rolls, and a beverage, just $14.99 during the week - Joe's Meal Deal. They have others such as ribs, talapia, chicken, etc. It's not gourmet dining, but as a local, it's a place where I go with friends. I have no problem with walking to Flanigan's even at night.

As for getting wine, I looked online for a directory of the shops in The Grove. It's hard to know everything that is there by just driving through, and if you're driving, keep your eyes on the road - it's a heavy pedestrian area, and the intersection in the middle of the Grove has turning restrictions, to pay attention when driving through there. I do live here, in the Grove, at the Dinner Key Marina, so I know the area - I was just up there last night at Bice Bistro, an Italian place.

The directory I found, included 3 places to buy wine, that are closer than Flanigan's. Check out the list here, and links with maps. http://www.coconutgrove.com/channels.cfm?channelcat=1 Even as a local, I found this website and it's links to be very handy. Chandi Wine & Spirits is where I'd go to buy bottles of wine, or, the Fresh Market over by the marina. That's where I do most of my grocery shopping. I love that store!

Enjoy your stay in The Grove. I love it here!

P.S. I did confirm on my way home today that that CVS is beyond that line I will not cross. As soon as you step out of the Grove, the houses are very run down, with burglar bars, tall chain link fences all around, barbed wire, graffiti, people just hanging out in the street not moving out of the way for traffic - you get the picture. Don't go over there.

Excellent advice Ang!

Miami is odd that you can be on a block of million dollar plus homes but the next block over is crack central.

Yeah, and Miami does a pretty good job of containing its crack within those pockets. LOL You just KNOW when you've gone one step too far or made that wrong turn.

Thanks for all the great info! Now that I know my options for buying wine, is there anywhere in the safe areas to buy toiletries? I'll pack them if I have to, but I'd rather just pick them up before we get on the ship and safe myself the space in my luggage. I found a listing for the Coconut Grove pharmacy - I'm assuming I could buy toiletries there? Does anyone know if their prices are reasonable?

I believe that pharmacy is over by Flanigan's, just around the corner on 27th Avenue. I've never been in there. From just driving by and looking through the windows as I drove by, it did look "upscale". I would just throw my toiletries in my checked baggage and be done with it so I could enjoy the start of my vacation, instead of chasing necessities that are easily brought along with me.

smg873, I looked at that Coconut Grove Pharmacy tonight. It's just a pharmacy. You won't find any toiletries there. A half a mile down Bird Avenue from that pharmacy is a grocery store, Milam's. It also have a very nice wine section - organized by country of origin with a lot of selections - France, Chili, New Zeland, Australia, Spain, Italy, etc. I bought a couple of bottles there just this evening.

From the Sonesta walk about 1/2 mile down South Bayshore Drive to Fresh Market, its a mostly organic grocery store but they have a fantastic selection of wine. Toiletries might be a little more expensive because most of the products found here are natural, organic, recycled, etc.

I would walk down Bayshore any hour of the day or night, I used to live in the area a few years ago.

If you go the Flanigan's (Loggerhead) route, there's a convenience store on the corner of Bird and 27 Ave. They'll have your toiletries and come to think of it they have a pretty good selection of beer and wine too.

Yogi

I agree - Fresh Market will not have what you're looking for in terms of deoderant, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Fresh Market is my primary grocery store, and I've often wanted to pick up something like toothpaste out of convenience while I was there to save a trip elsewhere, but it's just not there. That quick mart on the corner next to Flanigan's does have that stuff, albeit at convenience store prices.

• 4 weeks later...

Will be staying at the Residence Inn Coconut Grove - also looking for dinner spot/liquor store/pharmacy. I did a google maps thing and found a CVS on Grand (CVS @ 3215 Grand Ave) - (and I think there is a liquor store very near cocowalk called Coconut Grove Wine Group 3390 Mary st). Is this a safe area? Is it safe to go to Cocowalk in the evening?

If not please advise re above requirements! (guess we might need to find another pharmacy in a different area?) or somewher else (mainly for soft drinks)

Thanks

Does anyone know what the cost of a cab is to POM from here?

Thanks.

Found this cool site: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Miami

...looks like coconut grove to POM should be approx $32! (using the points of interest pull down menu)

When I put in exact address of our hotel - fare comes to $25 - ride is about 14 mins (and says this includes 15% gratuity!)

Will be staying at the Residence Inn Coconut Grove - also looking for dinner spot/liquor store/pharmacy. I did a google maps thing and found a CVS on Grand (CVS @ 3215 Grand Ave) - (and I think there is a liquor store very near cocowalk called Coconut Grove Wine Group 3390 Mary st). Is this a safe area? Is it safe to go to Cocowalk in the evening?

If not please advise re above requirements! (guess we might need to find another pharmacy in a different area?) or somewher else (mainly for soft drinks)

Thanks

See my post above about that CVS. I won't go there, myself, and I don't recommend it to anyone, but you can decide. Also, I posted a couple of links about Coconut Grove, one of which is a directory of things like restaurants, shopping, etc. However, right around the corner from where you are staying is Flanigans - a restaurant featuring bar/grill type foods, as well as steaks, prime rib, fish, ribs...a little of everything. Attached to Flanigan's restaurant is Flanigan's liquor store.

Thanks for the info - I assume this is the place: http://www.flanigans.net/locations.html

Definitely would like to try it out if it is within walking distance (and for purchase of wine!). I presume we can find somewhere to buy sodas and anything else we might need? Can you confirm that walking from Residence Inn to Cocowalk is okay at night?

Thanks,

Thanks for the info - I assume this is the place: http://www.flanigans.net/locations.html

Definitely would like to try it out if it is within walking distance (and for purchase of wine!). I presume we can find somewhere to buy sodas and anything else we might need? Can you confirm that walking from Residence Inn to Cocowalk is okay at night?

Thanks,

Yes, it is a little further than across the street from the Residence Inn to Cocowalk and I would feel perfectly safe walking this.

Found this cool site: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Miami

...looks like coconut grove to POM should be approx $32! (using the points of interest pull down menu)

When I put in exact address of our hotel - fare comes to $25 - ride is about 14 mins (and says this includes 15% gratuity!)

That's a good site, thanks.

I was thinking about staying in CG, but for 1 person, that's a hefty cab fare.

Yes, it is a little further than across the street from the Residence Inn to Cocowalk and I would feel perfectly safe walking this.

Thanks - Cocowalk might be fun to visit (eat? drink?) and I am hoping somewhere along the way we can find what we need (will ask at front desk). But I now know not to go BEYOND cocowalk so will make sure we stay in a safe area!

Right next door to Flanigans is a little market where you can get sodas, water, and other things like that - probably toiletries, too, but I don't remember that specifically - it did have laundry detergent, paper goods, a deli, some fresh fruits, etc. It's like a small family market - a tad bigger than a convenience store, but not a full blown grocery store.

Right next door to Flanigans is a little market where you can get sodas, water, and other things like that - probably toiletries, too, but I don't remember that specifically - it did have laundry detergent, paper goods, a deli, some fresh fruits, etc. It's like a small family market - a tad bigger than a convenience store, but not a full blown grocery store.

Thanks Angela - sounds perfect! :D

LATE BREAKING NEWS - need some info on shuttles/transport if possible? Contacted our usual shuttle SAS and they are busy that day (all vans in Orlando) so we need to find a way to get from FLL airport to our hotel in Coconut Grove. Wondering if anyone knows of a REASONABLY priced shuttle/van service (only for the 2 of us?)

Thanks,

Archived