Government employee discount

jdvmd

I am checking on some prices for a friend of a friend, who wants to take her first cruise in July with her fiancee. He is a postal employee. Does anyone know if this would qualify him for a government discount or does Carnival not offer such a thing? Thanks!

I am checking on some prices for a friend of a friend, who wants to take her first cruise in July with her fiancee. He is a postal employee. Does anyone know if this would qualify him for a government discount or does Carnival not offer such a thing? Thanks!

Nothing. Only for Military, Senior citizen, Interline (airlines, DHL not USPS), Past guest, State residency. Even all these are not for every cruise.

I really don't think so. Only the military

No discount for the cruise... but often times a government rate for a pre or post cruise hotel. :D

Legally, only if you are on a trip and conducting govt business. Can get in BIG trouble. Do people do it? Yes. Doesn't make it right though.

http://www.govvacationrewards.com/landing_pages?title=&cert=MJMBX3JJ&member_id=&current_navigation_element=&auth=NSXKJR46&page_name=default_page

Me Bride works for the Gubbmint, too, and the link above is for a gubbmint approved vacation discounts. Some are good, some...not so much...but give it a whirl!

*edit* I believe you have to have a dot gov email to use it.

Legally, only if you are on a trip and conducting govt business. Can get in BIG trouble. Do people do it? Yes. Doesn't make it right though.

Hmm...I've never seen or heard of legislation saying a business cannot extend a discount to whomever they want to. If a hotel wants to give government employees a discount, then that's the hotel's decision, and there's no law against it. That's akin to saying you can only get an AARP discount if you are conducting AARP business. The individual establishment decides who they give discounts to.

Actually...... (This applies to hotels only) It is at the discretion of the hotel. If the hotel offers the government rate to federal (or state) employees on leisure travel as well as official business, then it is not a violation of policy to obtain the government rate. Often times, the government rate is more than other special offers though. HOWEVER... air travel, rental cars, etc. DO require that you be on official business.

http://www.govvacationrewards.com/landing_pages?title=&cert=MJMBX3JJ&member_id=&current_navigation_element=&auth=NSXKJR46&page_name=default_page

Me Bride works for the Gubbmint, too, and the link above is for a gubbmint approved vacation discounts. Some are good, some...not so much...but give it a whirl!

*edit* I believe you have to have a dot gov email to use it.

:eek:I hope the email doesn't have to be a dot gov, because that would be a double bind - not supposed to use government computers/email accounts for personal use...

:eek:I hope the email doesn't have to be a dot gov, because that would be a double bind - not supposed to use government computers/email accounts for personal use...

Nope, you just have to use it to sign up. Nobody has said boo to Me Bride about using it and she works with some of the most retentive people out there. :eek::D

*edit* the offer to use the site actually came THROUGH her dot gov email from The Powers That Be - so your worries are for naught.

As of today these are the associations/businesses that receive interline rates (at least with Carnival). Different cruise lines offer different discounts to different groups.

Airline Pilots' Association (ALPA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), International Airlines Travel Agent Network (IATAN), National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA), Amtrak, Worldspan, Sabre, Galileo, and Amadeus.

A quick look of other cruise lines and I do not see USPS.

I do see FedEX and UPS.

Hmm...I've never seen or heard of legislation saying a business cannot extend a discount to whomever they want to. If a hotel wants to give government employees a discount, then that's the hotel's decision, and there's no law against it. That's akin to saying you can only get an AARP discount if you are conducting AARP business. The individual establishment decides who they give discounts to.

You are not totally correct. There is a lot of difference between a AARP discount and a government discount. If you are looking for legislation (or law) prohibiting it, then you are correct. Each department or agency have policies in place that typically forbid the practice.

That doesn't mean it's not done everyday but if one wants to get technical, the department policy holds regardless of waht it is and what we think.

IMHO, a gov't employee should not get such a discount but the typical hotel employee will give it before they would deny it as there will be hell to pay if they deny when it is a legit trip. The prices that hotels charge them are typically set on the per diem that is allowed so is typically a lot lower than what you and I pay.

IMHO, a gov't employee should not get such a discount but the typical hotel employee will give it before they would deny it as there will be hell to pay if they deny when it is a legit trip. The prices that hotels charge them are typically set on the per diem that is allowed so is typically a lot lower than what you and I pay.

The Gov't rate is a negotiated rate and often times is higher than other discounts. Depends on location. Marriott, for example, has gov't rates of $70 - $180 on certain rooms. In TX they have a different STATE gov't rate.

I can get those same rooms for less at times - other times no. And they do ask at booking if it is for business or leisure. You have to have proof of ID at check-in. The pricing is similar to AAA, AARP or other "club" rates that are available, say... through the NRA.

This becomes no different than other negotiated perks from any other job. Me Bride received, via her work email, notifications of deals available to her and her co-workers. They are often offered via the CG exchange or through the travel site itself.

You say that a gov't emp shouldn't receive special pricing, and to that I say it is something that vendors offer to try and draw a HUGE group of people into their properties and venues.

It depends what agency you work for, some do receive discounts, others do not. I haven't heard of a postal employee discount, but you can call and ask. Also, sometimes there are union discounts, locality discounts, senior citizen, military, interlilne, etc. I have never thought any of these discounts on Carnival are that good compared to other lines. But it's always nice to save a few bucks, so you might as well ask.

Blindrid is right, not all government employees should be asking for the government rate for personal travel. There might not be laws against it, and hotels might allow the rate to be used, but some government agencies/departments have ethics rules against this behavior. You might not get caught, but to me it is not worth risking my job to save a few bucks.

The government rates are negotiated to draw business from the government entity such as booking conferences or large groups of rooms for trainings/meetings and sometimes are quite low because government agencies typically have a max limit they will pay for travel. They were not set up to be 'perks' for government employees - probably the reason cruise lines do not have government rates - no government entity could book a training or a conference on a cruise without some heavy scrutiny. Some agencies/departments may have few or no rules about this, but the state agency I work for sends out reminders not to use the government rate unless on official business. We have been granted one exception for discounts on cell phone packages and once were allowed to purchase a cheap Microsoft Office package due to the large contract with the state, but otherwise, it is not allowed for the agency I work for, nor would I expect it to be.

And this program has nothing to do with the Gov't.

Government Vacation Rewards Terms and Conditions

Introduction

These Government Vacation Rewards (“GVR”) Subscription-Membership (“Subscription”) Terms and Conditions of International Cruise & Excursion Gallery, Inc., also doing business as Our Vacation Center (“OVC”), set forth a legally binding contract between OVC and each person who applies and is accepted as a subscribing member by OVC.

Have you not heard of Marketing?

klfrodo--Can you show an order or even a local regulation you have that says you can't use the Gov't rate? I have seen disclaimers on some hotel web sites that state you must be on official travel- but others simply state that you must show ID. I would be very interested in seeing what your agency/department says about this. (Not trying to stir-up any trouble just trying to CYA for myself-I was unable to find anything pertaining to this through my agency).

klfodo has never been back to respond, starting with me pointing out back in post #10. There isn't a federal regulation prohibiting it; it's up to the hotel's discretion to allow the gov't rate (at HOTELS) for leisure travel. Can't speak for state government though.

Archived