Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seydlitz

La Paz

What can we expect when we get off of the ship. What is there to do?

We went to Tecolote Beach which is about a 5 (maybe) on a 1 to 10. Free shuttles to the beach and town but we heard the lines in town to get back to the ship were very long. A couple people got stung by small stingrays at the beach. There is nothing at the ship pier at Pichilingue which is between the beach and town. La Paz is not a stop we would include in future cruises.

I'll be there in March and I have friends who were just there on the Spirit too. They took the bus to town and enjoyed exploring it. They walked around and poked into the markets etc. They liked it because it was unspoiled and more traditional feeling than the typical tourist ports.

The ship offers a 2 hour kayak experience which I am considering also.

We found LaPaz to be interesting to us. We got a taxi to take us to the shop that has antique equipment for weaving ( all hand operated, no motors), also, a family owned shop that makes ceramics and hand painted plates, etc. There is a pretty nice museum. The ride around the town was very nice, then we went back to the ship and took the other shuttle to the beach. When we were there, the beach was clean and the water was very nice. The beer was cold !! What else do you need ?? LIFE IS GOOD !!!!!

I just got back from La Paz last week. I will just say if you are plan to do a tour/excursion in any port, this is the port to do it.

I've heard several people rave about the whale shark snorkel tour. I went down to book it day 1 of our cruise and it sold out. I was pouting so I left the shore excursion desk without booking another tour (thinking i would just "wing it")and I regret that decision.

We ended up riding the bus for 30 minutes to the city and just did a lot of walking - got bored so we left the city, went back to the pier and hopped on the bus to go to the beach. The beach was nice, but in hindsight I know I would have had a much better time if I would have planned something.

This stop is not anything like mazatlan, Cabo or PV. My best advice to anyone who goes to La Paz....to get the most out of this beautiful peaceful city - plan ahead and book a tour/excursion.

We found LaPaz to be interesting to us. We got a taxi to take us to the shop that has antique equipment for weaving ( all hand operated, no motors), also, a family owned shop that makes ceramics and hand painted plates, etc. There is a pretty nice museum. The ride around the town was very nice, then we went back to the ship and took the other shuttle to the beach. When we were there, the beach was clean and the water was very nice. The beer was cold !! What else do you need ?? LIFE IS GOOD !!!!!

We will be in La Paz at the end of February. The day you spent in La Paz sounds great for us. Could you share specific information about the shops you went to and the museum? Where are they? Is there a website with info?

I have researched the La Paz tourism website and read many books - Frommers etc. - and cannot find out that much information.

Thanks in advance.

We just returned from a stop in La Paz and I personally was not impressed at all. It is a desert and not much to look at but my DH said to me " Duh, it's Baja California, it's supposed to look like a desert" :) We did the ship's beach resort tour and it was not what they described at all and for 99.00 bucks pp, it was not a cheap day.

The CD did stress many times that this is the port you want to have a plan because there is nothing to set up once you get there.

We will be going again at Thanksgiving and to be fair, I told DH we will do the city/shopping tour because that is what he wanted to do instead of the beach.

Toni

We will be in La Paz at the end of February. The day you spent in La Paz sounds great for us. Could you share specific information about the shops you went to and the museum? Where are they? Is there a website with info?

I have researched the La Paz tourism website and read many books - Frommers etc. - and cannot find out that much information.

Thanks in advance.

The pottery shop was Ibarra's and they let you see the process from raw clay to the finished product. I can't find the name of the textile or weaving shop, but it was a stop on one of the tours because a van pulled in as we were leaving. The equipment is very old, and all hand operated. The museum is near the center of town.

We found a taxi driver who spoke some English and asked him to show us the highlights of the city and to show us what he liked about his hometown. He knew about the places and showed us some other interesting parts of the city as well as the above.

I could not give you directions to the places we visited, but if you take the shuttle to town, there are many people there who speak English and can probably give you the correct information as well as giving you a map of the city. Sorry I can't help you more. Bill

The pottery shop was Ibarra's and they let you see the process from raw clay to the finished product. I can't find the name of the textile or weaving shop, but it was a stop on one of the tours because a van pulled in as we were leaving. The equipment is very old, and all hand operated. The museum is near the center of town.

We found a taxi driver who spoke some English and asked him to show us the highlights of the city and to show us what he liked about his hometown. He knew about the places and showed us some other interesting parts of the city as well as the above.

I could not give you directions to the places we visited, but if you take the shuttle to town, there are many people there who speak English and can probably give you the correct information as well as giving you a map of the city. Sorry I can't help you more. Bill

Bill,

Thanks so much. This information is very helpful. This is enough to get us going.

When we spent time in the Yucatan, we found Tourist Police in the smallest of towns. They were very helpful. Did you see any Tourist Police in town?

Margaret

We found a taxi driver who spoke some English and asked him to show us the highlights of the city and to show us what he liked about his hometown. He knew about the places and showed us some other interesting parts of the city as well as the above. Bill

Bill,

Can you please tell me approx. how long your tour with the taxi guy took and what you paid?

Thank you.

I was there 2 weeks ago with Carnival Sprit. It was a great day. I went to snorkeling with sea lion at Los Islotes. It was a once a lift time experience. We also stop by a beach on the way back to La Paz. the most beautiful beach I have ever visit. Definitely going back...

On the other hand, my wife and my kid joined the city tour. they had a great time too. They told me the had the best Mexican food there. Could not remember the name of the restaurant but it is close to the bus station.

Bill,

Thanks so much. This information is very helpful. This is enough to get us going.

When we spent time in the Yucatan, we found Tourist Police in the smallest of towns. They were very helpful. Did you see any Tourist Police in town?

Margaret

I don't recall seeing any police except the city police. I have found in my trips to Mexico that the taxi drivers are very watchful and protective of tourists. Bill

Bill,

Can you please tell me approx. how long your tour with the taxi guy took and what you paid?

Thank you.

I am not sure of the time or cost, but at the time I thought it was very reasonable. I think it was around three hours, but wasn't paying attention to the time.

I was there 2 weeks ago with Carnival Sprit. It was a great day. I went to snorkeling with sea lion at Los Islotes.

Was that a Carnival excursion, or did you book on your own? If it was an independent, could you post the website or contact information? We're sailing on the Spirit next month and this sounds like fun.

Thanks

Lori

Most taxi drivers will stay with you as long as you want. Just ask them before the ride how much they charge to take you to the places you want to go. Some will even quote a "daily" price or hourly prices. You just have to ask. And as you are along for the ride, you can ask them questions about anything along the way...they seem to know everything as they usually grew up in the same town.

Was that a Carnival excursion, or did you book on your own? If it was an independent, could you post the website or contact information? We're sailing on the Spirit next month and this sounds like fun.

Thanks

Lori

I would like to know too. We usually book independent...but I have been out of luck with LaPaz so I am thinking about just booking the cruise tour and eating the $200 it is going to cost me!

We just back from La Paz last week. We went to Tecolote Beach using the free bus from the pier. We really enjoyed it. We just hung out on the beach, drank some beers and enjoyed some nachos. All in all it was a very inexpensive day and a great way to spend some time with the family.

I would like to know too. We usually book independent...but I have been out of luck with LaPaz so I am thinking about just booking the cruise tour and eating the $200 it is going to cost me!

I booked it off the cruise. We took the shuttle bus to downtown. Next to the Bus stop there are several tour guides offering different tours: city tours, snorkeling, whale shark watching, scuba diving, etc... I specifically looked for the snorkeling @ Los Islotes. There were only 3 people in my group because we were kind of late, the other 2 are my fellow cruisers met on the bus. It cost us $80USD each. All equipments included, including wet suite, which is essential...

If you want to do the snorkeling @ Los Islotes. Go to down town early. It takes 70-90 minutes from La Paz to the sea lion colony by boat and the Carnival Spirit leaves at 3:30 PM(?).

Have fun. Let us know your experience...

I have a good friend who lived here for some time. The first thing you need to know is that La Paz is not a tourist location... yet. It's really just a sleepy town, about as big as you get, in that area of Mexico. It is the capital of Sur Baja Mexico. So it does have a lot there, but once again, it's the Capital of Sur Baja Mexico.

The first thing you need to know is that the food here is something wonderful. For some reason, there are more restaurants with such high quality cuisine for prices you can't believe than a lot of places in the world. According to my friend there are is also once place you must go to, La Fuente. It is an ice cream shop. I was told to be prepared to want to eat at least two cones, if not more. Apparently they have a lot of awesome flavors you wold never think of. Corn is apparently very good.

Anthony Bourdain actually did a piece on La Paz. He liked it a lot.

I would suggest heading to the mercado(market) and trying out some of the food there. They will have food prepared with the freshest sea food and with whatever is good that day. The prices will be next to nothing. Remember it's local food, so eat with an open mind. If it looks good, eat it. (Man I've been watching too much travel channel)

My friend mentioned the pottery if you're into that sort of thing. He bought a few pieces and had them send them directly to his mother in Mexico City DF. It was in Mexico, so I have no idea if they will do this for the US, but he said he's pretty sure it would have ended up broken otherwise.

There are lots of natural attractions as well. Isla de la Espiritu Santo is a UNESCO world heritage site... I think. They might be still considering it. It has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world on it. You can get boats out there but it needs to be planed early as ship prices are high and getting it on the spot is expensive as well. According to my friend Tecelote beach is the best place to do that from. Not sure if this is the case as he tends to be vague about everything. He tells me Balandra is the place to swim. As for getting stung by sting rays, that's easy to fix. drag your feet. If you let them know you're coming and they swim away.

I guess the best thing to remember is this is not a city overrun by tourist. They really don't have all the "activities" of other ports. So, take it easy this day, and enjoy seeing what real Mexican culture is about. They really are very charming people. I lived with them for two years.

I have a good friend who lived here for some time. The first thing you need to know is that La Paz is not a tourist location... yet. It's really just a sleepy town, about as big as you get, in that area of Mexico. It is the capital of Sur Baja Mexico. So it does have a lot there, but once again, it's the Capital of Sur Baja Mexico.

The first thing you need to know is that the food here is something wonderful. For some reason, there are more restaurants with such high quality cuisine for prices you can't believe than a lot of places in the world. According to my friend there are is also once place you must go to, La Fuente. It is an ice cream shop. I was told to be prepared to want to eat at least two cones, if not more. Apparently they have a lot of awesome flavors you wold never think of. Corn is apparently very good.

Anthony Bourdain actually did a piece on La Paz. He liked it a lot.

I would suggest heading to the mercado(market) and trying out some of the food there. They will have food prepared with the freshest sea food and with whatever is good that day. The prices will be next to nothing. Remember it's local food, so eat with an open mind. If it looks good, eat it. (Man I've been watching too much travel channel)

My friend mentioned the pottery if you're into that sort of thing. He bought a few pieces and had them send them directly to his mother in Mexico City DF. It was in Mexico, so I have no idea if they will do this for the US, but he said he's pretty sure it would have ended up broken otherwise.

There are lots of natural attractions as well. Isla de la Espiritu Santo is a UNESCO world heritage site... I think. They might be still considering it. It has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world on it. You can get boats out there but it needs to be planed early as ship prices are high and getting it on the spot is expensive as well. According to my friend Tecelote beach is the best place to do that from. Not sure if this is the case as he tends to be vague about everything. He tells me Balandra is the place to swim. As for getting stung by sting rays, that's easy to fix. drag your feet. If you let them know you're coming and they swim away.

I guess the best thing to remember is this is not a city overrun by tourist. They really don't have all the "activities" of other ports. So, take it easy this day, and enjoy seeing what real Mexican culture is about. They really are very charming people. I lived with them for two years.

Thanks so much for the information and perspective. I am really looking forward to exploring La Paz.

Anyone know much about the whale shark excursions? I have a friend who may want to do it.

IF you guys go to the PORTS section on this site(not a forum)

and click on Mexican Riviera you will see another link to La Paz.

If you read the article it mentions the pottery , the weaving , and the ice cream shop. It also has links to local tours.

Here it is for you:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=166

Wow !!! Thanks for the link ! That is like hitting the mother lode of information for La Paz !

So is there anything at Playa Balandra? I have heard that the beach is better for snorkeling (we have our own gear) and swimming...so I am thinking about going there instead of Tecelote...but haven't heard much besides there's no restrooms.