Novovirus

tomtal

Just been reading about a novovirus outbreak on the QM2. What really interested me is that they disembarked a few passengers in Curucao who had refused to stay in their cabin for 48 hours after first reporting being unwell. They stated "in accordance with their booking conditions and with regard to the health and safety of our guests, we had no choice but to ask them to disembark the ship in Curucao". This, to me, seems a wise way to go and I wonder whether HAL - or for that matter other cruise companies - have ever followed such a procedure. I have noted that Cunard does keep to very strict procedures with regard to passengers - not so long ago they disembarked a disruptive passenger. I should imagine it would certainly make people think before acting to the detriment of others.

HAL has, indeed disembarked guests with Noro who refused to quarantine. They knew they were still contagious, had been instructed to remain in their cabins a stated length of time and took the attitude 'it's my vacation blah blah blah' and went out and about. They have been known to be disembarked at next port as (IMO) they should be.

I have specifically asked a few times about HAL instituting the Code Orange first two days of cruise and have been told it is making a difference. Apparently this is greatly helping contain the spread of Noro from guests who board ill and may or may not know it. Not touching trays of food or tongs in Lido those first few days is keeping everyone more healthy.

Unfortunately, my sister got the norovirus on a Princess cruise, a few years ago. She was quarantined. She said they de-activated her cruise card, while she was quarantined. She was told if she left the room, she would not be able to use the card to return to the room. Also, if she used her card for any purchases, to leave the ship, etc. it would not work. She did not test this de-activation, but took them at their word. She said she was too ill to even want to do anything, or care that she was on vacation.

I know it seems harsh, especially to the one being quarantined; but I also believe it's the only reasonable thing to do.

I've experienced the Code Orange at the start of the cruise and it was no big deal. If it helps hold down instances of illness, it's certainly well worth it.

A few years ago on one of our Alaskan cruises several people had taken ill while on the land portion tour and when they arrived at the ship in Seward they were refused passage onto the ship.

The next couple of ports as some others got sick -- they were also put off the ship.

We have experienced this new code orange on a couple of ships (4 times since they were back-to-back) and we didn't mind this new procedure -- it is not really that bad.

I agree that quarantine is good for the other passengers.

The problem with making the strict quarantine widely known is that passengers will then tend to hide their sickness so they won't be quarantined. Going to the ship's Dr. with any GI symptoms will likely get you quarantined. There is no test available to the ship's Dr. to specifically ID any particular virus, so any GI upset is considered as a virus, even though there are other causes for the symptoms.

Does the cruise company pay some compensation to people having noro and being quarantined? I know its not their fault, but certainly not the passenger's fault either. It could be used as a reward for people staying in their cabin. I know I would be heavily disappointed but it would be less bad if there would be some compensation to use for a next cruise.

Does the cruise company pay some compensation to people having noro and being quarantined? I know its not their fault, but certainly not the passenger's fault either. It could be used as a reward for people staying in their cabin. I know I would be heavily disappointed but it would be less bad if there would be some compensation to use for a next cruise.

I've not heard of any compensation....in fact, on NCL at least, they make it hard to be quarantined since the room service menu is so minimal and they don't offer any other support and they don't have DVD players in most cabins, etc.

I was just released after about two days in "isolation," not for Noro but because I had an upper respiratory infection with fever over 100. I had no problems with the isolation (I'm glad they make the effort, but I also know there were likely people on board who were just as sick but didn't report to the medical center). But nothing was done to make it easier for me. I am alone, and I had to rely on room service (the limited menu, which was often even more limited and was rarely done right). I really got tired of sandwiches and burgers.

<SNIP> But nothing was done to make it easier for me. I am alone, and I had to rely on room service (the limited menu, which was often even more limited and was rarely done right). I really got tired of sandwiches and burgers.

You could have had anything on the MDR menu if you had ordered it during dinner/breakfast service.

Celebrity does compensate a small amount for those who agree and abide by quarantine. It was a credit for a future cruise. Not enough credit, in my mind, to have a repeat cruise on that cruise line due to the many unsanitary things that we witnessed while aboard -- DH got ill, I did not but we were both quarantined. I am not sure we would have seen the same practices aboard a different ship on that line -- I suspect that we witnessed some unfortunate judgement by a few crew members who were probably either not trained well enough or not supervised well enough.

And for the record, a couple of years ago I reported, with GI symptoms, to the medical center aboard an HAL ship and was told I was seasick (which I knew I was definitely not) and sent away. Turns out it was something entirely different (and not contagious) that I discovered weeks later -- so if you are feeling ill rest assured that your symptoms will be evaluated appropriately -- do not be afraid to report.

Some probable noro is reported by crew or by other passengers. I overheard one report at the front desk.

On our last cruise, a nurse came to the Lido and took a woman out of a line in front of me. The woman's friends said "she isn't sick" and the nurse responded "Yes she is and she needs to stay in her cabin".

Does anyone know the current thinking on Purell handwash these days. We have just come back from a cruise on P&O and we thought it had become lax after previous cruises with them. No hand sanitiser at gangplank or maindining room, sanitiser just outside door of Food Court but no waiter making you use it (as previously), No letter on boarding from captain telling you to wash hands etc, etc. We were very surprised.

You could have had anything on the MDR menu if you had ordered it during dinner/breakfast service.

I had no way of knowing what was on the menu, and there's no way the guy on the phone could have read it to me. As I said, even some of the things on the room service menu were not available. It was very shoddy, I thought. Especially since I was the only one in isolation, you'd think somebody would have dropped a menu by for me.

I had no way of knowing what was on the menu, and there's no way the guy on the phone could have read it to me. As I said, even some of the things on the room service menu were not available. It was very shoddy, I thought. Especially since I was the only one in isolation, you'd think somebody would have dropped a menu by for me.

You could have called and requested one be dropped off? I know it is easy to "arm-chair" quarterback but perhaps this would help someone in a similar situation in the future.

Does anyone know the current thinking on Purell handwash these days. We have just come back from a cruise on P&O and we thought it had become lax after previous cruises with them. No hand sanitiser at gangplank or maindining room, sanitiser just outside door of Food Court but no waiter making you use it (as previously), No letter on boarding from captain telling you to wash hands etc, etc. We were very surprised.

It seems to me that I have not read here that HAL has dropped the sanitizer stations and practices. Although the Purell type hand wash does not affect viruses, it still helps with killing bacteria and the process helps reinforce with passengers that they need to take precautions in general. I think that the had wash is a good idea for cruise ships and other places such as grocery store carts. We can always bring our own small bottle if we want.

Celebrity does compensate a small amount for those who agree and abide by quarantine. It was a credit for a future cruise. Not enough credit, in my mind, to have a repeat cruise on that cruise line due to the many unsanitary things that we witnessed while aboard -- DH got ill, I did not but we were both quarantined. I am not sure we would have seen the same practices aboard a different ship on that line -- I suspect that we witnessed some unfortunate judgement by a few crew members who were probably either not trained well enough or not supervised well enough.

And for the record, a couple of years ago I reported, with GI symptoms, to the medical center aboard an HAL ship and was told I was seasick (which I knew I was definitely not) and sent away. Turns out it was something entirely different (and not contagious) that I discovered weeks later -- so if you are feeling ill rest assured that your symptoms will be evaluated appropriately -- do not be afraid to report.

Baby, maybe?....

Although the Purell type hand wash does not affect viruses, it still helps with killing bacteria and the process helps reinforce with passengers that they need to take precautions in general. I think that the had wash is a good idea for cruise ships and other places such as grocery store carts. We can always bring our own small bottle if we want.

I doubt hand sanitizers reinforce precautions to be take - I think they make a good number of people even more lax about sanitation. I see people at work walk in (most likely off the subway), take a squirt of hand sanitizer at the elevator banks, rub their hands together maybe 2-3 times and go on their merry way.

HAL has, indeed disembarked guests with Noro who refused to quarantine. They knew they were still contagious, had been instructed to remain in their cabins a stated length of time and took the attitude 'it's my vacation blah blah blah' and went out and about. They have been known to be disembarked at next port as (IMO) they should be.

I have specifically asked a few times about HAL instituting the Code Orange first two days of cruise and have been told it is making a difference. Apparently this is greatly helping contain the spread of Noro from guests who board ill and may or may not know it. Not touching trays of food or tongs in Lido those first few days is keeping everyone more healthy.

I understand and have experienced "Code Red," but what, please, is "Code Orange?"

I understand and have experienced "Code Red," but what, please, is "Code Orange?"

Code Orange is a soft version of Code Red. It's used as a preliminary preventative measure, as opposed to an after the fact stop gap.

When you board, the ship will probably be under Code Orange. There will be salt & pepper shakers on the table, as well as flowers. The dining room will have a breadbasket and butter dish.

However, in the Lido, there will be no self-service. All food and drink will be served. This does slow down the gathering of your meal, but reduces the chance of cross-contamination from an infected person to others.

Archived