Cruise Critic Community
Anita Latte

Any other Zumba fans?

Biggest Loser US - couples version - maria and michael, john, ashley and sheree, cheryl and darius etc - is that season 10?

Biggest Loser US - couples version - maria and michael, john, ashley and sheree, cheryl and darius etc - is that season 10?

We are on Season 11 right now. It is couples but not the names you mentioned.

No Zumba :( tonight because we had tornado warnings and bad weather so they cancelled the class. DH and I still worked out since we ventured out in the rain.

Also No Biggest Loser because our President is speaking on every station. :mad:

We got to see an hour of Biggest Loser tonight.:confused: Sandy...maybe it will air later for you? Or look online tomorrow, because there was a one hour version...I always watch the beginning the next day because we usually miss 15-20 minutes because of our tennis schedule...we did tonight too...

Also...great job working out in bad weather...we had that rain yesterday/last night...2" yesterday...no tornado warnings though...I don't know what a power bracelet is...we finally found a song in common!

Donna...I think that is two seasons ago...Season 9...It is the season that aired last year starting in January...It must take a while to get the season ready to air overseas...Season 10 just ended right before holidays...LOVED Darius and his curls!

Also...Sometimes retreat is the best strategy...great job in avoiding the buffet...I have to deal with my temptation tomorrow morning...I tell you what though...after dealing with the recent wheat issues...absolutely NOTHING with wheat in it can tempt me...and that will take care of most things on that buffet...

AND...you are going to feel like it is such a REWARD to do fun ZUMBA when you finally get to do it again!

OK Ladies...I have to share because I had the funnest clothing day today...I returned the wheat protein serum for cash...I LOVE Nordstrom's!...and since I was in the area of town that had an Anthropologie...which I think I like online...but I have never been in the store before...so I decided to go there...and I had so much fun trying on clothes...I finally fit into those kinds of sizes!! *happy dance*

Several weeks ago, I was in Banana Republic and I decided to try on their largest pant size...32...and I couldn't button it...not even close really...and today...I fit in a 31!!

I bought some new shirts...because I am dealing with the jeans I already bought...and I like them...they go with everything...and my shirts...for all that you would think they would still work okay...they don't...the tanks/camis are now way too low...they don't cover me...and the shirts that used to be a stretchy, semi-fitted move funny and get caught in places they never did before because they are too loose...and I walk around having to constantly adjust my clothes...very annoying...they needed to be replaced...

With the next go round of laundry...some shirts will be hitting the donation bag...

I do have one thing to say about dealing with losing weight and needing to get new clothes...

HELLO muffin top! Seriously! :eek:

It's like I am getting stronger and fitter muscles...and then there is this oh so lovely fatty layer on top...and I have to buy pants that squish the fat layer a bit or else they fall down as I walk...it creates that not so lovely bulge above the waistband...it's like I HAVE to buy a size that makes me LOOK like I'm wearing a size too small...but they aren't...they aren't uncomfortable at all...

Mom says that there is fat in your muscles...and as you work out and gain strength...your muscles will literally squeeze the fat out...isn't that a lovely image?...I said in class the other day...OK...the fat has risen to the top...time to skim it off...seriously...there are more defined bulges in various places now that I have been working out consistantly for over 19 weeks...

Warning people...if it hasn't happened to you yet...it is in your future...

And I would like to restate that...I have been working out consistantly now for OVER 19 weeks...starting with 2 classes and graduating to the 5 I currently take around the Christmas holiday...be encouraged everyone...it just takes a bit of time...continue on the course...everything will happen the way it should if you keep doing what you are supposed to do...speaking of...

Donna...I retreated today too...I was so caught up in my shopping...I didn't stop until well after 1:00 PM...and I was over 40 minutes from home...I walked outside the store and was right next to PF Changs (super yummy Asian food)...OMG...my stomach gurgled...my mouth instantly watered...the SMELL...OH...but I decided that I could make it home...save the money...save the calories...there wasn't any place better to eat than home...I was inspired by the clothes I had just bought...and all the fun I had just being able to try on clothes...that I wanted to stay on track toward goal...home was the best option.

Speaking of home...here's my kitchen tip for the night...

I did the crockpot yesterday...main entree in the crockpot...and it was the basis of our repeat tonight...what some call leftovers...what my family calls "deja vu dinner"...which sounds so much better...

Before leaving for tennis tonight...I put everything that was in the crockpot into an ovensafe pot...and set the oven to turn on to 325 degrees for 45 minutes with a start time that was 45 minutes before I thought we would be walking through the door...I put Near East brand rice in the microwave and set the delay start so that it would end at the same time...came home and put bagged asparagus in the microwave...and cut a fast Ceasar salad from Romaine hearts. Done and served within 5 minutes of walking in the door!

So if YOU have the ability to set your oven's start time and cook time...this is an excellent way to deal with deja vu crockpot dinner...the low oven reheated it well without trying to cook it all over again...

I'm a little concerned about classes tomorrow night...I slept horribly last night...and finally woke up for good at 4:30 AM...got out of bed starving at 5:06 AM...and I have been up ever since...they say there is a 24 hour lag on sleep...so the sleep you had two nights ago is what is affecting your current day...so this lovely sleep will be what I have to deal with energy-wise tomorrow...I know I will go to class...I just hope that I have some energy!

I hope your weigh in goes well tomorrow Donna...

Good morning ladies,

I have to admit, I skipped workout and had a day of rest yesterday. Quite relaxing in front of the tv, even though a tiny voice kept mutering that some kind of movement would be better ;)

I had baked potatoe with sourcream and spinach for lunch and a green salad with chickenbreast in parmesan breadcrust for dinner. Quite yummy.

Today is another long day in the office and I plan on hitting the pool before heading to my hairdresser tonight.

And in my own official countdown it´s just 4 weeks and a day til our cruise. So lets see what we can achive until then.

On my way to a fitter self I finally got dh to at least try to workout, as overweight is not only my problem. He gave in and asked for a trial lesson in ZUMBA ;) let´s see how he will fit in, he´s coming along this friday night. I promised to let him be if he doesn´t like it. I sincerely hope so, that the is as taken as I am, as that will keep me from modifying my schedule to fit in some fitness hours in the studio, which is something dh might try.

So, this weekend I´m going to try on my cruise clothes.

Anita, good job that a 31 pant fits. I´m currently wearing a 33 and if it wasn´t for the stretch in the material I´m not sure it would fit :(

WOW Kasi! Thanks great that your DH is willing to give Zumba a try! No men have ever attended our classes...will he be the only one or do you have a bit of a mix already? I hope that he has fun at the class...and that the class sparks an interest in getting up and moving through Zumba or something else...I know that having my DH being involved in getting fit and healthy is an essential part of my so far and continued success...I know that life will be easier for you too if you both are on striving toward the goal...

You'll have to figure out a new meal plan if you both workout together...;)

Speaking of...there's a modified plan for dinner...I didn't get the timing right for having the chicken cooked to be able to use in soup tonight...and it struck me that I don't need a WHOLE chicken's worth of chicken for the recipe...so we are having Roadside Chicken from Rick Bayless' book Mexican Everyday...sorry for all the folks that are in freezing weather...I am actually going to grill this chicken this evening...I think you could probably get the job done in the oven...I have made this recipe several times...it is super yummy...

So tonight...I will make Spanish rice...I will also just do the Near East brand boxed rice (it'll be ready for the soup for tomorrow)...and have a veggie of some sort on the side.

I brought a latte with me Bible study today...and thus avoided the buffet...

I like to people watch...I don't really know too many people at the Bible study...so I was sitting alone for a bit...and I was watching and observing everyone...I picked up the threads of a thought that I had last Wednesday as I started counting the number of ladies that were sitting with their legs crossed...

Do you cross your legs? Are you aware that it is supposed to be a horrible thing to do? Bad for your posture...bad for your circulation...

I noticed this last Wednesday as I had my legs crossed and my foot started to feel a bit tingly...I uncrossed my legs...and was trying to figure out how to sit so that I would still look "lady-like"...I don't like the cross your ankles pose...if I don't have my legs straight out in front of me, it makes my knees fall wide apart...which is less than lady-like...and so I decided that I would try to hold my feet and knees together...OMG!!!...what a workout that is on your inner thighs!...which is why I am sure that so many women do NOT rely on their muscles to keep their knees together...and give them the old cross over...

Instantly though...I had to sit up straighter...I couldn't RELAX into the back of the chair...no slouching...it relieved the stress on my muscles...moving my feet further forward helped too...but I found that I couldn't really sustain the pose for too long...and my knees would fall away from each other...not grossly...but they were no longer touching...

And I have been concentrating on this sitting posture now for over a week...because I think that my legs are going to get stronger just by practicing this...you know what?...I'm right...I'm finding it easier and easier to sit more lady-like...knees closer together, if not touching...

Today, I was the only lady within my immediate vicinity that didn't have her legs crossed...

I have a funny fitness goal...yes I have an idea of what weight I would like to be...I have an idea of what measurements I think would be great...these are numbers...but I have a goal that I don't even know the number answer to...I have a goal where I want my thighs to NOT touch...I'm not even sure that I can remember a time in my life when the DIDN'T touch...a part of me doubts that my body type will be capable of achieving this goal...and yet...I'm going to try my hardest to see if I can do it...

And I have decided after honing in on this totally random topic that I have discovered a very casual way to strengthen the seldom used inner thigh muscles...it's called trying to sit with your knees touching for as long as you can!...keep your feet together and you will be working your inner thighs for all they are worth...especially if your thighs are a little bigger like mine...it will take more effort to get those knees to touch...LOL...when your inner thighs can't take it anymore...spread your feet and go "pigeon-toed" but keep your knees together...you will engage your also little used outer thigh muscles...if you concentrate on pushing your knees together...you can engage those thigh muscles without having to do anything but sit and concentrate on posture and body position...

While your at it...keep trying to pull that bellybutton into your spine...engage the abs as much as possible throughout the day...this is what I have been doing lately...just thought I would share...

Pilates and Zumba tonight! I'll post the playlist after!

Hope you hit that pool Kasi!

Hi Anita,

interesting wirkout, must try golding my knees together tomorrow in our business meeting marathon ;) Today I was struggeling not to fall asleep during these monotone meetings.

Well, I was at the pool, hubby came along. I started swimming and was really into it, when i noticed something wrong with dh. He looked bad, so I quickly crossed over. Turned out he had trouble breathin, maybe due to chlorine air in the public pool. So I cut my wokout short to get dh out of there :(

Maybe I´ll give it another try saturday morning, so dh can sleep in and I´ll get my routine.

Today was pizza day, not healthy, but soooo delicious that it´s worth an extra workout.

Anita, well done you for getting into a smaller size what an achievement - I'm doing a happy dance for you!! You will have a whole new wardrobe within the next few months! And well done with the latte too!

Kasi, 4 weeks will fly in so keep up the good work! I too had a day full of monotone meetings :) Same again tomorrow so I too will practise the muscle moves - hope it does show on my face :o I hope dh is OK after pool incident?

Well ladies, I had fantastic news tonight at my weigh in - 3lb off but more importantly 1" off my waist and 2" off my hips - nothing off chest but that's smaller than the bottom half anyway :D I am sooooooooooo happy right now and it's given me the incentive to keep going.

Just a short note tonight as it's now 9pm and must have something light to eat before it gets too late. I'll post more tomorrow.

Keep going ladies!!

Kasi...I hope your DH is okay...pizza happens...we've had pizza the past two weekends in a row...it's not about being perfect...it's about balance...

Donna...*happy dance* *happy dance* WAY TO GO!! Losing those inches is a BIG DEAL...I would think that the inches lost would equal more than a 3 pound loss for sure, which tells me that you are burning fat and getting denser, stronger muscles!! You probably lost more fat weight but gained that muscle weight...excellent...the added muscle will increase your metabolism! again...CONGRATS!

Today was such a great night...we did new things in Pilates...I enjoyed that so much...Zumba was fun...there were some people that came that hadn't been for a bit...they were so complementary to me...feel good moments! And we had a blast with the songs...

Put It In a Love Song (warm up)

Ven A Cumbia

Hips Don't Lie World Cup 2006 Version

Hella Decale

Bon Bon

Drummer Boy

***New Salsa (still don't know the song)

Drop It Low

This Is Tha Song

Big and Chunky

Cha Cha

***NEW Ten by Jewel (cool down)

Dinner...I didn't grill the chicken...I baked it on a wire rack in a 325 degree oven for about an hour...I told DH to turn the oven down to the lowest setting and put foil over it...so it hung out in the oven for a couple hours to keep warm while I was at class...came out great...I love that marinade...so flavorful without any added fat...

I did a fast stirfry-ish veggie dish...onions, zuchinni, red pepper, collard greens, and a can of fire-roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen makes a no salt added) and stir in chopped cilantro off heat. Used this concoction to cover the bottom of a bowl-like plate...topped with some sliced chicken breast...topped with avocado...YUM...highly recommend.

And tonight I just wanted a little somethin' after dinner...a little sweetness...so I had "Dos"...Mom and Dad started "Dos"...you keep Hershey's Dark Chocolate Kisses in the fridge...and when you want a little dessert...you get two kisses...hence the name "Dos"...those little bites of chocolate are so hard...you just let them melt in your mouth...they take a while to eat in this way...savor the taste...get just enough of the taste to satisfy the urge for a little something sweet...and the calories are very small...AND there is a slight nutritional benefit with it being dark chocolate...it's a sensible little pleasure that helps you not feel depraved when you have that urge for some dessert...and because the calories are small...it is something that can be incorporated into your regular eating...

I'm so excited for all of us! Keep it up! (Donna...you'll be dancing again before you know it!)

I worked yesterday and all day my knee was giving me fits. By the time I got home and had my DH look at it - my knee and leg were swollen :( I have never had any knee problems so this was very frustrating to me not to be able to do daily activities without pain.

Went to Centra Care today and got Xrays. They said I must have sprained it because no major damage shows on xrays (thats good news) down side is I cant Zumba or do cardio until it heals. They put me in a knee brace and gave me some drugs to take, lol. So here I sit with my leg elevated and ice on it :(

Today is a rest day...

DS is home from school today...the little bug that I have felt in the back of my throat, burning my nose...held back by sheer dint of will...seemed to explode in DS...it's been a slow, calming day...I've been taking advantage of it too...slept in a bit...relaxing...playing on the computer...I'm still in my PJs and bath robe! I might have to change and go to the store...I'm hearing that mac and cheese sounds good from the peanut gallery...so I might have to go get some...

I've got two topics on the brain to share today...

The first...

"You have to shake it to lose it"...if YOU don't move it...it will not go anywhere...

I mentioned that I got some postive attention at Zumba last night...one lady said that I was looking TALLER because I was getting skinnier...LOL...and people are starting to ask me what I've been doing...as in...have I been doing more than Zumba? more than the Pilates that they see the end of when they arrive at Zumba?

In terms of physical activity...NO...I'm not doing anything more...I think that some of the people are a bit surprised...there is another lady in class that started with the same session I did...you pay by 8 week sessions at the rec center...and we were comparing notes...she has lost about the same inches I have around the bust...but nothing really around the hips...and for that reason I made it a point to look her way during the class...

She doesn't move her hips...

She moves her feet...don't misunderstand...but those hips stay directly above her feet and don't do anything out of the ordinary during Zumba...

Ladies...if you have been trying Zumba and haven't seen any results in the hip area...I would venture to say that you aren't moving your hips...not that I believe in spot reduction...because I don't...but I DO believe that if you would like to see some reduction in your hips...you have to do something to engage them...something beyond normal movement...

I lost hip circumference on a treadmill hitting the hills...

It's the engagement of unusual activity that will produce results...

This topic has been discussed in Zumba...Kelly affirms that through practice...you CAN release your hips to wiggle in ways that you might think they can't...she admits that she didn't always wiggle the way she now does...but once she could...it was like she couldn't stop...

If you have difficulty getting your hips to move freely...and feel "hip challenged"...try this exercise...I did this in some sort of PE class in preschool believe it or not...stand up in front of a mirror...start with your feet about hip distance apart...now raise one foot so that only the ball of your foot rests on the floor...your knee will be bent...now the action to move your hips can be described as pushing on the floor with the ball of your foot and trying to straighten that bent leg as much as possible...your hip will move UP...when you release back to a relaxed leg bent stance...your hip might feel like it is sinking into that straight leg...you can even add a bit extra knee bend to get that hip to jut out further on that straight leg...your hips are moving up and down and side to side...practice this to start to feel which muscles are engaged in moving your hips around...

Change sides...

Challenge yourself to move your hips like this will both feet more flat on the floor...what you should notice is that it is very, VERY hard...if not IMPOSSIBLE...to move your hips without bending your legs somewhat...and you will find your weight shifting a bit on your feet...

When you master the side to side action...with flat feet...take the same stance that you use (how bent your knees are)...and do front to back...

Now ladies...YES...this can be a somewhat embarassing move to do...I see the faces of the other ladies in class...GET OVER IT...tuck your rear under...push your rear out...

Now hula...stand with those slightly bent legs and rotate your hips through all those positions...front, side, back, side, front, side, back, side...hit each position if you need to...and then try to smooth the whole thing out...

When you do this...you should be engaging those abs...your abs will really be helping you when you rotate...ESPECIALLY the ab muscles that are responsible for nipping in your waist...

And NOW...when you have the opportunity to shake your hips during any of the moves...reggaeton, salsa, merrengue, whatever...you should concentrate on moving those hips...as much as possible...you will feel the difference...and you will see the difference on a tape measure...

If y'all are hip movers...smile to yourself and give yourself a little pat on the back...because you are increasing the effectiveness of your Zumba...

I detail this because of all the questions that I have been getting in class...because I can honestly say that my results from attending class have been the most dramatic...and since I stand in front (you knew that about me already, didn't you?)...everyone can see...and the Ladies are all friendly enough that we talk and share...and everyone wants to know what else I have been doing to start looking the way I am looking...

But I haven't been DOING anything else...I decided on DAY ONE that I wanted my body to be my body's version of Kelly's body...and if I wanted to have that body...then I need to move like Kelly moves...and that's my goal...and so far...the effort is providing results...I haven't had to do more...

I took a few pictures of myself in my new clothes to send to my parents...especially since I purchased them with the money from returning a Christmas gift...I thought I looked pretty good...so I went searching for a "before" picture...and found one from almost exactly one year ago...I tell you what...it was very inspiring to be able to see how far I've come...I still have a ways to go...but WOW...it sent me off to classes last night on something of a high...

The other topic on my mind today is with regards to cooking...

Because I know that cooking is a struggle for so many people...lives are so busy...schedules hectic...and I think that we can make things more complicated than they need to be in the kitchen...

There is a lady that I LOVE to watch on you tube...she is so inspirational to me...I haven't watched her in a while...but I checked her out again today and got caught up with all the new videos...if you check her out...I highly recommend watching the videos from oldest to newest...This link will start you at Season 1...The channel is called "Great Depression Cooking"...I hope that you find Clara as inspirational as I have:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking#g/c/D6A6F21C9D7665FC

I've never cooked any of her meals...but I love watching her cook simple meals with simple tools...and talking about food that is "nourishing."

Enjoy!

Oh Sandy! I'm so sorry to hear that you hurt your knee! That's the absolute worst to be enthused to move and DO only to be unable to...

I hope you recover quickly...

Sandy, I hope you recover fast, I know how frustrating it is to sit and not being able to do what you want to...

I´ve had an awful day at work and went home early ´cause I was freezing and feeling a bit under the weather. Well, sleep, and dinner and an extra pair of socks made me comfy again. So, it seems may<be it was an allergic reaction to the sushi I had for lunch, didn´t happen in a long time so I kind of repressed what it can feel like.

Anyways, skipped Yoga to rest. But I hope that was really it and I can go ZUMBA tomorrow night.

I stil believe DH will tag along. He´ll be the only male as far as I know. By now no other men were brave enogh to enter our hour of fun.

Really looking forward to our weekend, which will be challenging food-wise. Saturday we are at a birthday surprise party and on sunday my SIL celebrates her birthday with cake and all. I really hope I can resist temptation and that I stay well so that I may finish my swimming exercise and finally check wether my entrance card for the gym is still working ;)

It will be a birthday every week til mid march.

DH birthday will be spent in an italian restaurant, and mine on our cruise, really looking forward to that vacation and I checked with cruisers who have been onboard the ship, what is provided in the gym. So I will definitely bring my sport clothes and shoes. Hope the next 4 weeks don´t take forever to live through...

Oh yeah, tonights dinner:

pangasius fish filet and stir fry ;)

Sandy, hope the leg is better soon! You'll be back to Zumba in no time but best to be careful and make sure you're 100%.

Kasi, well done on checking out the gym. When I went on my cruise last September I went to the gym every day for 40 mins at around 6pm. When I came home I had lost 2lb and I certainly didn't hold back on the food! Wish I'd kept it up and I might not have gained a stone and a half which I now have to lose on top of the weight I already had!:mad: Your 4 weeks will fly in and you'll be feeling so good about yourself for your birthday.

Anita, hope DS is feeling better. I am reassured because I'm definitely a hip mover - might not look pretty from behind but at least I know it's doing me some good :D

I met my friends for coffee today. One of them is pregnant and sat opposite me eating a cheese and ham panini while I sat with my black coffee. Do you know instead of being envious I actually felt sick watching the grease drip on to the plate!! I was a bit tempted by the lovely cup cakes on display though!!

I went to the shops and there was a big sale on - picked up a size 16 bikini for £2 (which I think is about $3.25??)! It was the only one left on the rack and I thought what better incentive than an animal print bikini to keep me focussed for my cruise (24 weeks and 1 day to go!).

I have my friend's 40th birthday tonight so I just hope I can keep up the good work and not be tempted by the key lime pie, cheesecake, fresh bread etc. Have bought a bottle of red wine so that will be my treat this week. Plenty of dancing tonight and I'll remember to shake my hips!:)

Hope everyone's doing OK!

DS went back to school today...so I decided that I would try out another Zumba class! I know that it is time to step it up again...it seems to be the way this is going for me...slowing building up the number of times I work out and how long I work out (adding Pilates right before Zumba)...and the way that the three days of rest have been lately...I have been RESTLESS!! So I gave another instructor a go this morning...

I enjoyed it. If it fits in the budget to do it weekly, then I have found my Friday class...this makes my week look like Pilates/Zumba on Monday & Wednesday...and Zumba on Friday & Sunday...I think this will max out my week as far as scheduled exercise goes...

Today's class was totally fun...the instructor is a good complement to my other one...she did a couple of the same songs...Zumbalicious and Halle Decale...but the choreography was different...which kind of messed with me a bit...but added some interest...the ladies were fun...

Based on my other experience...and since I had my own hip skirts now...I decided to bring one to class today...turns out they don't use them...but the instructor said one lady in a different class did and to go ahead...have fun...so I did...the other ladies in class (there were 4 others attending besides me) were ooooo-ing and ahhhh-ing over my skirt before we started...and after the first song...they were all over it...they loved the sound...loved the extra energy...they said it was like wind chimes at times during the slower parts...and then like another part of the music during the fast times...and at the end of the class, the instructor said she was going to get some for the class! LOL.

The instructor is new to Zumba (Nov 2010) but old to dance...and is just now getting to the point of trying out some of her own choreography...she used to be a cheerleader at her university...which...I know...can be very athletic and dancy all at the same time...she's youngish...33...and after picking my brain about what my other instructor was like and what she did and how her classes were...(I didn't mind)...she decided that she would share her work in progress song with the class...and it was fun...I could totally see those cheerleading roots coming out! And afterwards...my SHOULDERS :eek:...she uses her arms in that different way...and I could FEEL it...still CAN!...lol...

This was the work in progress song:

The Time (Dirty Bit) by Black Eyed Peas

Anyway...I'm pretty excited to find this class...I need the class atmosphere...I find that I really feed of the group atmosphere...I like being in a class...I will do a class and look forward to it way more than doing something on my own...

Donna...with our time difference, you are probably already enjoying your evening...I hope that you can resist temptation and stick to whatever plan you have in place to deal with the party tonight...and way to go at the coffee meet...it is fabulous to reach a point where you aren't actually tempted and are turned off by certain things...I always think that is an indication of a change in lifestyle and not just a temporary "I'm trying to lose weight" choice...these are the things that contribute to maintenance after reaching goal...*thumbs up*

Kasi...how was it doing Zumba with DH?

Mom was talking to a man outside her gym this morning...she said he must have been in his late 60s or early 70s...he struck up a conversation with her asking if she had attended any of the "courses" he called the classes...the man attends Zumba and Yoga on Friday mornings...he discovered Zumba about 5 years ago...he loves it...and it helps him tremendously...he has a condition...maybe a disease?...where the discs in his back want to fuse together?...and the movement that Zumba encourages...the hip movement...gets his spine moving in such a way that his discs aren't fusing together...and he has been able to maintain his mobility through doing Zumba...how awesome is that?

This is something that has been on my mind lately...Mom and I had a brief conversation about Jack LaLanne when he passed on...(if you don't know that name...check him out...he was a major pioneer in the world of health and fitness)...and the one thing Mom said was that he never entered a feeble state...my Great Grandma was like that...she lived to be 93-years old...went to sleep in her own bed...never woke up...she was never feeble...and she did her exercises everyday of her life...she had her routine that she would do...that's the ultimate goal...to age with grace...to never have physical ailments be a hinderance to life...to never be feeble...to maintain mobility...if that isn't an incentive to get moving, I don't know what is...

Keep dancing everyone!

Hi Ladies 10am here and I did indeed resist all the lovely cakes on the buffet! Sat with my back to it but actually, because I'd had dinner before I went, didn't really feel like any food. Did however make up for it in the red wine I consumed ;)

Anita, great song the Black Eyed Peas one, I love it! Glad DS is feeling better. What about that man?! Great to know Zumba is helping him stave off his disease. My friend has just been diagnosed with diabetes and she is trying out the Wii to try and avoid medication, it's so important for so many reasons. I hope to talk her in to zumba in a few months when she feels a bit fitter and has some confidence. In the meantime, we are signing up for Race for Life - 5k run/walk for breast cancer charity!

Have a great weekend folks!

I just bought the zumba for the wii today. So I will update you and tell you how I like it. .

Please do!

I am willing to give anything a try.

I have the Fit and balance.

Have to loss weight before my cruise. :o

I have a Zumba dvd a friend gave me a while back.

Haven't used it yet.

But today is my first "official" day to stick it in.

Wish me luck! :rolleyes:

Alright Donna! It's all about choices...not being perfect...sometimes you just feel like that glass of wine! And balance...sounds like you did great...red wine DOES have SOME health benefits.;):D

Feelin' Nauti'...when is your cruise? Please post back on what you think about the DVDs...we haven't gotten any feedback from anyone on the DVDs or the Wii Fit game! And many of us would like to hear some opinions!

If you are trying to lose a few pounds before your cruise...Zumba is a great thing to try...I like classes myself...the overall atmosphere that is attempted in many classes is one of having fun, not "doing exercise"...I've found classes with friendly ladies and I enjoy being with the people, which helps to encourage me to continue to attend the classes...we use hip skirts in the classes I go to...those belly dancing coin skirts?...very fun...if you were to look at the official zumba website...you can find many classes that are offered in places where you don't need a membership to attend...like a dance studio, community center, etc...and typical Zumba protocol says that you can try your first class with an instructor for free...I've only had one instructor not follow that protocol...

Today has been a day of rest...and I am feeling the effects of the new and different instructor from yesterday...it's a good thing...I bought some new camis today...what a bargain!...only $2.50 at Forever 21...I had no idea they had clothes that cheap...I was pumped that I fit into the "L" and not the "XL"!!

I totally forgot to share!!!

LADIES!! Here is yet ANOTHER reason to be excited about doing ZUMBA!

Mom finally tweaked with her settings to be able to get calories burnt during one of her Zumba classes...why she doesn't post...I don't know...but she always says that I can share with everyone for her...SOOOOO...she has had issues because the heart rate monitor would not register certain minutes if her heart rate went above a certain number...with a little tweaking...she FINALLY got it to account for her heart rate during the entire class...

She tried out ANOTHER new instructor today...seems like there are so many for her to choose from through 24-hour Fitness at different times/locations...ANYWAY...

Today's instructor was totally onto the whole intermittent training...and during an especially slower, we are focusing on toning kind of songs...Mom said her heart rate was down to 131 even...and keep in mind...dealing with a new instructor...new moves...new routines...we aren't talking about having the "perfect" Zumba workout...and STILL she burned...ready?

641 calories!!

How cool is that?

I seriously need to see if I can get the batteries changed on my heart rate monitor so that I can see what I burn...anyone else monitor? Anyone else want to share their number?

Today's instructor was totally onto the whole intermittent training...and during an especially slower, we are focusing on toning kind of songs...Mom said her heart rate was down to 131 even...and keep in mind...dealing with a new instructor...new moves...new routines...we aren't talking about having the "perfect" Zumba workout...and STILL she burned...ready?

641 calories!!

How cool is that?

That is SUPER COOL!! :D I have been resting my knee since Thursday. This is really hard not doing my Zumba and workouts :( I did buy some pretty good Protein supplement today that is only 90 calories and 23 gm protein. Its called Nectar made by Syntrax I got Fuzzy Navel flavor. Its pretty good.

Just came home from ZUMBA, this time DH came along.

When our instructor asked hin afterwards how he liked it, he said he was not sure, he would report back, when he could move again ;)

We had some new music today and there was one really fast song, unfortunately I don´t know what it´s called.

Well, I have to say, I´m still not flexible enough for all the steps and moves.

My hip is starting to get there, my shoulders seem to be stiff, and I still feel chalenged with all the small extra moves Annie does.

Still, I like it and that´s more than I can say of any other class so far.

I´ll go back tomorrow night and if I can still move my muscles on tuesday, let´s see where we go from there..

I really hope I can show the same composure some of you have when being confronted with cake. My SIL is celebrating her birthday and that´s where we are heading this afternoon.

Anita, how do you manage pilates on top of Zumba? Do you do Pilates prior or after your Workout? Is pilates also a whole hour?

Enjoy your Sunday, whereever you are.

I'm turning 40 in March 2012. My mom found an outrageous deal on a Spring Break cruise in March 2012, so we booked a big family vacation for my parents, my husband, my son and myself which will be in honor of my big milestone.

It's also the goal for life change including major weightloss.

I started taking Zumba classes the week of Sept 12. I'm up to 3 Zumba classes a week and 2 Pilates classes.

I LOVE Zumba. I know it has a lot to do with my instructor, who I also love. I've had great success so far losing 4 inches around both my hips and bust and 1 inch each around each thigh. I'm totally pumped and more motivated than ever to continue getting healthy.

Anyone else out there a Zumba fan? Or doing Pilates? I thought we could exchange stories, songs, encouragement...

WARNING...I love to talk...A LOT...and I will also be using this thread as a kind of record of some other changes I have going on around the house...including, but certainly not limited to, cooking healthy homemade meals and breaking the restaurant/eating out cycle.

I hope anyone interested in these topics will join me!

I have Zumba at home on my DVD I am way to uncordinated to go to a public class and do it. Worked out Friday with it and my muskels are still sore hehehe:o

Happy Sunday ladies!

Anita, 641 calories - no wonder the weight drops off with Zumba?! How can something so fun be so good for you - give that man a medal for creating it!!:D Good news for your Mum too.

Sandy, sorry to hear the leg's still not right, sometimes these things do take a little while to heal.

Kasi way to go for getting DH along - hope he recovers soon!

I really can't get to grips with the Wii somehow so will give my Biggest Loser game to my friend. Have bought the DVD which is better for me as I like real people shouting at me through the screen. Now considering buying Zumba DVDs but at £50.00 would love some feedback on how others find it.

Off to the shops now to stock up on fruit and veg for the week - going to try the cocktail tomato recipe tonight!!

Today's playlist:

Put It In a Love Song (warm up)

Ven A Cumbia

Que Te Pica

Gasolina

Drop It Low

Cha Cha

Halle Decale

Drummer Boy

Bon Bon

La Vida Es Un Carnival by Unknown (I finally figured out the "new" salsa song), but I don't know which version we do! Here is one from a lady that was called the "Queen of Salsa," Celia Cruz

La Despidida

Feelin' Good (cool down)

Sandy...I'm sorry that your knee is taking a while to heal...so frustrating...you'll be back to doing Zumba when the time is right...and having missed it...you will just be that much more enthusiastic when you can do it again.

Kasi...Pilates is an hour...but there is a time of warming up...and time of cooling down...and the pace is good...you do the moves...and there are rest poses that you repeatedly go back to...for instance...Kelly will do a routine from the "table top" position...you are on your hands and knees...you will lift your right arm and your left leg...and move your arm and leg in various different ways...or just hold a position...in between the different ways of moving the arm/leg combo...you go into rest pose...I can hear her voice in my head..."when you are ready...come back to table top..."

Point being...it isn't a killer feeling of working out for a solid hour. It is immediately before Zumba. Kelly teaches both classes and it is in the same room, so I just hang out there for two hours.

Managing it...I had been doing Zumba only and working up from 2 classes to 3 classes when Kelly starting teaching the Pilates class...I was very excited to start doing Pilates...I knew the class size would be small...I could learn a lot...I love Kelly...this was the beginning of November...it took a long time for me to be able to go to Pilates more than once a week...and sometimes, the fatigue and the soreness...I would miss one of the Zumba classes...so I would be back to working out twice a week...I remember Mom asking me if I was sure that it was time to start Pilates because I had been doing good with Zumba and Pilates seemed to be interfering with my being able to keep up with the Zumba...

Eventually, I was back to Zumba 3X a week...and then around Christmas/New Year's...I've been able to go to Pilates 2X/week and Zumba 3X a week...it was something I definitely had to work up to.

I thought that Pilates would be a killer right before Zumba...but what ended up happening was I would get like a runner's high about 20 minutes into the Zumba hour...then with about 20 minutes left of class...I would just be so pumped up!...just proud of myself...

And then I would quietly suffer the next day...:eek: or not so quietly as the case may be...:rolleyes:...and I would be SO HUNGRY...

I have found the two to be very complementary...the breathing technique for Pilates can really help me during Zumba...I can rely on it to help me engage my core muscles more...and I find that I am understanding more muscle movement and so can make my Zumba workout more effective.

Memargi...I'm glad the DVDs work for you! I was so surprised after I took my first Zumba class...I just didn't understand how a "dance" class could have kicked my rear so badly...and I have said before in this thread...that night or the next night...I just crawled into my bed and cried...I was so sore...my body hurt...Zumba will do that...it engages muscles in ways that your normal daily activity does not...the best thing to do is do it again...to repeat the movement helps your muscles get over their soreness...releases the built up acid that is contributing to the soreness...

And let me tell you...there is a product (to which I have no affiliation or compensation for recommending)...that I do nevertheless HIGHLY recommend...I purchased it at ulta...it is called "muscle soak"...I purchased the bath salts, the body wash, and the bath and body oil...it was my gift to myself after my first full month of working out...it is surprisingly effective...here's a link to info:

http://search.ulta.com/search?p=Q&userid=346874660&w=muscle+soak

the only thing...keep it away from your privates...it's kind of numbing in an unpleasant way around there :o

What can you tell us about the DVD?...we are really wanting someone to post a review...

Donna...I tried so hard to fix my heart rate monitor last night...I wanted to get my own calorie burn in class this morning...the watches we have were all burned out battery-wise...so I took one apart...found out the battery was the same as my garage door opener...took the battery out of my garage door opener...actually managed to get the thing all back together...it's like a mini-computer in there with a circuit board and everything...SO complicated...AND...I found out that all our transmitters are dead...and I can't replace the batteries in those...such a bummer!

But yes...it is easy to see how...if you will move and let yourself have fun with Zumba...you can burn a LOT of calories...it's fantastic...it really is!

Happy Sunday everyone!

Alright Donna! It's all about choices...not being perfect...sometimes you just feel like that glass of wine! And balance...sounds like you did great...red wine DOES have SOME health benefits.

Feelin' Nauti'...when is your cruise? Please post back on what you think about the DVDs...we haven't gotten any feedback from anyone on the DVDs or the Wii Fit game! And many of us would like to hear some opinions!

If you are trying to lose a few pounds before your cruise...Zumba is a great thing to try...I like classes myself...the overall atmosphere that is attempted in many classes is one of having fun, not "doing exercise"...I've found classes with friendly ladies and I enjoy being with the people, which helps to encourage me to continue to attend the classes...we use hip skirts in the classes I go to...those belly dancing coin skirts?...very fun...if you were to look at the official zumba website...you can find many classes that are offered in places where you don't need a membership to attend...like a dance studio, community center, etc...and typical Zumba protocol says that you can try your first class with an instructor for free...I've only had one instructor not follow that protocol...

Today has been a day of rest...and I am feeling the effects of the new and different instructor from yesterday...it's a good thing...I bought some new camis today...what a bargain!...only $2.50 at Forever 21...I had no idea they had clothes that cheap...I was pumped that I fit into the "L" and not the "XL"!!

Happy Sunday!

This is definitely a great group, very supportive which will keep me motivated.

I tried my Zumba DVD.

Now I know I was born with two left legs.

What a spaz! :rolleyes:

Feel discouraged. Not sure if this is the right thing for me.

However, I do feel it gave me a workout. :D That's a good sign.

Congrats Anita on your purchase. Feels good buying clothes in a different size.

That's my concern. I am not planning to buy nor can I afford to replenish my wardrobe.

My drawers, closets, bins are filled to the rim.

However, the temptation to buy new clothes is always there for me. :o..:D

My cruise is coming up soon, April as a matter of fact.

While my DH made chocolate chips cookies :eek: today...Talk about temptation...

I slid in my Wii fit and stepped for 30 minutes straight, marched for 15 mins, and worked on my balance skills. I definitely need to work on this.

Ok, now it's time for dinner. I'm hungry. Workout gave me an appetite. :cool:

Enjoy the rest of the evening.

Feelin' Nauti'...does the DVD give you ANY instruction?

One trademark methodology of Zumba is that the instructors are not supposed to give verbal cues or yell out counts and things for the moves...the idea is not like typical aerobics classes where the instructor yells at you...they are supposed to do other cueing...clapping hands...whatever.

The thing about Zumba is that it can take a bit to get the hang of the different steps...but once you get the steps...it becomes easier...some while back here I posted links to some really great instructional videos on youtube. You can scroll back to find them...they are at the end of one of my typically long posts...it might help.

When you go to an instructor, you get to know the routines that they do and you can start to have more fun doing the routine. My instructor will throw a new one in one at a time and only every once in a while so that we can learn it...because that is what Zumba is more like...learning lots of different routines...the mind involvement and the challenge there helps keep it interesting...

NO ONE I have ever known has been able to go to a Zumba class the first time and feel like they totally "got" the class...and yet...somehow everyone is sore afterward anyway!

Don't be discouraged. You got the feeling that you had a good workout because it is a good workout...and of all the things that exercise can be...Zumba is one of the most enjoyable for sure...and very effective for time spent.

My DH is a master cookie maker...he must have made 3 different batches over the holidays...OMG...the key with that is to deal with these things...you have to find a way to incorporate the occassional treat...it's not the single thing that will send you over the edge...it's when these things become the excuse to go ahead and blow it and then try to start over on a different day...no...it's about choices and finding balance...

Great job with all your exercising today! I have issues with some of those balance things on the Wii Fit...it can take me a while to figure out exactly what I am supposed to be doing...my poor Mii...she has to hang her head in shame while my Wii Fit ages puts me in the 60s...

Are you needing to fit back into all these clothes that you own? Or is it that you need to just maintain to stay in them? I shopped in Forever 21 today...they have a basics section in the store...Holy Cow...super inexpensive basic knit shirts...great camis in every color under the rainbow for $2.50! And similarly inexpensive tanks and cap sleeves. My whole goal is to be strategic...because I'm with you...the idea of having to replace everything is too much...so I need to strategize the splurges v. the steals.

Keep posting and let us encourage you...the ladies posting here are a supportive group for sure...