Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
loveislands

Getting to Barbados - Air Schedules & Boarding TImes

Getting to Barbados from Dallas (DFW) looks like no easy task, unless you can take the new non-stop flight available only on Sat. or Sun., which won't work for a Sat. to Sat. cruise on the Royal Clipper. Connections are through Miami or New York, for the most part, and especially in the winter I'd rather not connect through anywhere on the East Coast! (I'll be on the 2-19 cruise)

Do most people fly in the day before to be sure they will be there in time for boarding? What is the time range for boarding on Saturday?

I think I read that passengers must disembark by 10 a.m. or so (?) which should work fine for flights back.

Thanks...

Very highly recommended that you fly in at least the day before the RC departs. You may wish to book your accommodation in Barbados soon as February is high season. Boarding usually commences at 4.00 p.m. and it is usually "all aboard" by 9.30 p.m. latest for sailing at 10.00 p.m. Last year (2010) the boarding process had changed somewhat from previous years. Then (2010) initial arrival/identification was in the building in the Port with the remainder of the registration process etc. in the lounge on board the ship. Boarding at around 4.00 - 5.00 p.m. gives you some easy timing - complimentary cocktail in the Tropical Bar following registration - gives the crew time to get your bags to your cabin - maybe watch the Caribbean sunset (camera at the ready) - unpack/get ready for dinner - dinner commences at 7.30 p.m. After dinner be on deck by about 9.45 p.m. in the vicinity of the open part of thre bridge. As the ship departs listen as well as watch. The first sails are being raised as the ship heads out of the port. Magic.

Yes - for disembarkation you must be off the ship by 10.00 a.m. Suggest that you give yourself some elbow room with the timing of your flights back just in case there is some delay in the ship getting back to port in Barbados -although it is usually on time or a little early. Have a great holiday - not long now (we are in March). :):)

Jobake, going off topic slightly .... do us brits need to take an adaptor on board for our electrical gadgets? If so, what sort? Thanks.

For meldreth.

As I thought the Starclippers paper brochure shows that the current on the Star Flyer (and Star Clipper) is 110 volt (American Current), so you will need an adaptor. We have a four piece interlocking unit adaptor where you plug in your (UK) 3 pin 13A 250v plug and then it shows suitability for Northern Europe, Southern Europe and America and Australia. It is marked TESCO so it looks as if we bought it in Tesco.

Have had a re-read of your thread and pleased to see that you have persevered with your holiday. It will be astonishing if you have anything other than a superb holiday. We are doing the BVI's in this March and that will be our 12th holiday on the Clippers - and there others who have done far more than us.

If you do not already have the current Starclippers paper brochure you might wish to obtain one by ordering online via the starclippers UK website or by, it seems, phoning 0845 200 6145 :):)

JOBAKE has great current info on departure. We live in Northern Florida and next week have to fly to Dallas to Miami to Barbados--an all day affair and won't get in until after 10 PM!

The Clipper and Flyer are 110 electric current, the Royal is 220! Best to take adapters for the plugs--the receptacles are not British style.

Edited by cluso
spelling

You know one of the reasons we picked the Clipper from St. Maarten

was because the flight times were way better than Barbados..

OP -

If I was in your situation, I'd think about flying from DFW to MIA on Friday, spend the night in a hotel, then take the 10am American flight to Barbados.

The weather in Miami in the winter is nothing to be worried about; compared to being farther north.

If the plane is on time (@2:30pm), you should get to the port by 3:30. Even if the flight is delayed, you still have an 8+ hour window to get to the port.

Last month (Dec. 11th cruise), they started the check in process right at 4pm. There was a desk set up in the back left corner of the building where three crew members check every one in in assembly line fashion. (i.e. first person checks your docs, and takes your passport; 2nd person swipes your credit card and takes your picture for security, and the 3rd person gives you your ID card.

From there you just go on to the ship and enjoy the free cocktail hour. (I dropped my carry-on in my room first.)

Aloha,

John

ps: the plugs on the Royal Clipper are the European 220V style, with the 2 ground plugs on the edge.

We went on the 10/31 Panama Star Flyer canal cruise. We flew in on Thursday for the Sunday embarkation. We flew Albuquerque-Dallas-Miami-Barbados in one day-landing in Barbados around 10:00 pm local time (about 40 minutes late). We did some touring the next day and then sat in the hotel on Saturday because of then-tropical storm Tomas. The flights from here were painless plus Barbados is really nice.

The boarding process I described in my earlier post was the "changed" one we experienced in February 2010. From jcl410's post it seems that they had reverted to the "old" process at the time of his December 2010 embarkation. Perhaps it is because we had got used to the "old" process that I have a slight preference for it.

I had read earlier that the Royal has one 110V plug in the bathroom. Will that suffice for charging camera battery?

I had read earlier that the Royal has one 110V plug in the bathroom. Will that suffice for charging camera battery?

The outlet in the bathroom is labeled for shavers only, and isn't too convenient.

Check your charger; most can handle 110-240V; if so, I highly recommended getting an adapterm so you can plug it in at the desk. Here's a link to the one I bought from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932602

Aloha,

John

Resurrecting a year old thread? That's OK ... :-)

I was on the Royal Clipper again this last Dec. (2011). There was not a separate line for the deluxe/owner's cabins.

We got there about 3:35. There were maybe less than 10 people in front of me. They started the paper work about 3:50, and shortly there after we were on board. With only 227 passengers max, it doesn't take too long.

(Then again, both times I boarded before a lot of people had got to the port.)

Aloha,

John

I agree with jcl410 - about 3.30 is a good time to get to the Port for check in - we always aim for that. Strange as it may seem the enquiry on this post about a separate check in for deluxe/owners cabins is the first time in 10 years or so on the Clippers that thought has arisen (for us). One often meets some very interesting fellow passengers on the Clippers and, more than once, we have sat down for dinner on the first night with others we have met during the check in process. Hopefully new friends, new stories and fond memories.