Cruise Critic Community
ChrissyBTX

looking for local tours in La Romana

So I am still looking for information on La Romana tours. Thanks

Edited by xrayvin

Hey xrayvin, I've been trying to get info as well. I did email Dressel Divers at the Iberostar AI in Bayahibe. They have snorkeling tours but you have to get there on your own. This is a very tough port to get info on. If and when I get some get info, I'll make sure to share here and on the roll call.

Teri

Seems like the 'Waiters' are all searching for the same answers :D

Dawn - I'm with you, I really hope they change our port to Catalina Island rather than La Romana. I picture it being a lot like Half Moon Cay then. But I wouldn't want to pay $80 to Carnival to take me from La Romana to Catalina if they don't switch this up.

Some in our group MIGHT play golf - very, very expensive. I'm actually looking to charter a yacht from the Casa de Campo marina. Not having too much luck in this regard but I'm not giving up yet. If we are fortunate enough to find something I'd like to stop at both Catalina and Sanoa islands.

Anyway - RumPunchGirl - I see you're diligently looking also. Hopefully we will all find some fun in DR :D

I have been hijacking other roll calls that have already gone. I did read that if you get Catalina Is. as your port that it is just like Half Moon Cay. (i've never been to HMC) Carnival sets up food and everything is free, except maybe some drinks but you can use your S&S card while on the beach.

We are probably going to just do the Carnival Catamaran Sail and Snorkel with our friends. I wish I could find out more about it, but we will just take our chances with it.

Carnival switched our itinery for the 1-1-2012 cruise from St Thomas to La Romana and these reviews are making me extremely sad and angry with Carnival.

Carnival switched our itinery for the 1-1-2012 cruise from St Thomas to La Romana and these reviews are making me extremely sad and angry with Carnival.

You and me both! This is not a good start to our first cruise for sure. I wouldn't mind the port switch to a comparable port, but everything I have read makes this sound like a major downgrade to me. Guess the port fees must be a heck of a lot cheaper here. My AAA guidebook says there is Malaria and other diseases in this area too. Lets see..don't wear any jewelry or you may get robbed, anoint ourselves with a gallon of insect repellant to avoid disease and don't drink the water...sounds like fun.

I was one of the ones who posted a negative review but I have to say that looking back over my pictures and remembering our time there wasn't really that bad. I don't think I would do the resort again that we went to (Oasis Canoa) however I have talked with people who really enjoyed the Dreams resort and those who went to Catalina Island seemed to really enjoy themselves! If we ever went back to DR, I would do Catalina for sure. Good luck. :)

I was one of the ones who posted a negative review but I have to say that looking back over my pictures and remembering our time there wasn't really that bad. I don't think I would do the resort again that we went to (Oasis Canoa) however I have talked with people who really enjoyed the Dreams resort and those who went to Catalina Island seemed to really enjoy themselves! If we ever went back to DR, I would do Catalina for sure. Good luck. :)

If we do not switch cruises, I'm going to have a beach day at Catalina Island.

Has anyone been here, is it safe to take the shuttle? Shopping..reasonable or outragous pricing? Food? Can you drink the water there and in La Romana? Cruising there in January and trying to decide if it's worth a trip. AI/Beach excursions are out, DH doesn't drink and won't spend the day on the beach. We are more into sightseeing, photography.

I still have the option to change my cruise to the Glory (St. Thomas vs this port, all others are the same) for $50pp. Or just stay on the ship here, but I'd like to see something here!

It has been a few years, but last time we were in La Romana we did a morning kayak trip and then in the afternoon we took the shuttle to the marina and the artist colony. We had no problem with the shuttle and enjoyed the colony. Great views and enjoyed the shops.

There were some people who had problems with the taxi's.

I will say I enjoyed the stop the next day at a private island close to Samana the next day, much better than La Romana.

As far as drinking the water...we always drink bottled water on any of the islands we go to.

And FYI, we were just on Labadee, which is in Haiti...and we ate and drank and even touched the people and we did not get Cholera.

I'm hoping to get day passes for Dreams. Anyone know if they have a limit on how many passes they sell per day?

I'm the one that started this thread about six months ago after I returned on the Miracle. I had forgotten all about it. Now I'm thinking of maybe doing this same cruise again later in the year. So I thought I'd come back and check on this thread to see if I could find any updates. I was hoping to see more reviews from some of the cruisers that went shortly after I did, but don't see any.

I read that the Miracle was going to start docking at Catalina Island instead of La Romana (shortly after our cruise). Did that not happen? Or have they just docked there a few times? Anyone know the story on that? Why would they just go a few times and then stop? Maybe they aren't set up for weekly stops?

If I do go again and we stop in LR, I'd probably take that speedboat to that other island (forgot the name of it). Somebody on our cruise told me it was wonderful. Or, I'd go to Dreams. You won't catch me back at the Oasis Canoa (Bayahibe Beach Break).

I'm going to subscribe to this thread so I can see any updates. Please post any updates on excursions if you've been in the last few months. Thanks!

I'm the one that started this thread about six months ago after I returned on the Miracle. I had forgotten all about it. Now I'm thinking of maybe doing this same cruise again later in the year. So I thought I'd come back and check on this thread to see if I could find any updates. I was hoping to see more reviews from some of the cruisers that went shortly after I did, but don't see any.

I read that the Miracle was going to start docking at Catalina Island instead of La Romana (shortly after our cruise). Did that not happen? Or have they just docked there a few times? Anyone know the story on that? Why would they just go a few times and then stop? Maybe they aren't set up for weekly stops?

If I do go again and we stop in LR, I'd probably take that speedboat to that other island (forgot the name of it). Somebody on our cruise told me it was wonderful. Or, I'd go to Dreams. You won't catch me back at the Oasis Canoa (Bayahibe Beach Break).

I'm going to subscribe to this thread so I can see any updates. Please post any updates on excursions if you've been in the last few months. Thanks!

We did the Saona Island trip from Bayahibe with Seavisbayahibe tours.

It is an awesome tour. Our day included the boat tour over to Saona Island with a stop at the starfish landbar to play with the sea creatures. Next was our stop at Mano Juan island for BBQ lunch (lobster, pork, hot dog, salads wine, soda, rum and a tour of the village there. Then off to one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to. Paradise I think it was. Parts of the movie Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed there.

You only have to get a taxi to Bayahibe and back. Seavis will help make sure the taxi is called for your retun to the ship. A great day was had by all that went from our port of La Romana

IMG_1117.jpg.322f3778da191e62ef3b5a8a49c4638f.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg.15172c51a87a44aa31178473fcee3bbd.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg.ebdf9b720be036fc9b29457620e2f0d6.jpg

I have posted several comments and reviews in this thread regarding Samana but for some reason they keep getting deleted...

We did the Saona Island trip from Bayahibe with Seavisbayahibe tours.

It is an awesome tour. Our day included the boat tour over to Saona Island with a stop at the starfish landbar to play with the sea creatures. Next was our stop at Mano Juan island for BBQ lunch (lobster, pork, hot dog, salads wine, soda, rum and a tour of the village there. Then off to one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to. Paradise I think it was. Parts of the movie Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed there.

You only have to get a taxi to Bayahibe and back. Seavis will help make sure the taxi is called for your retun to the ship. A great day was had by all that went from our port of La Romana

Thanks for the response. I've subscribed to this thread and will come back to it when anything new is posted and will definitely take notes for my next cruise to DR, which I hope will be soon! Glad you had a great time there!

There is so little on the boards about this port. Is this a "stay on the ship" day?

This has been a tough one. I never stay on the ship but might just have to on this one. I've heard worse than Jamaica as far as pushy people. Jamaica is my least favorite port that I have been to so not good.

Any comments?

I've looked for info too. There's a nice forum on tripadvisor for the Dominican republic that you can search for threads based on topic like La Romana and Bayahibe. However, they mostly address various resorts there for longer stay visits. Doesn't seem to have caught on for crusie stops yet. There is a small replica of a medival village called Altos de Chavon that was built as a movie set but has small shops and restos and is reasonably close by. You might check to see if there's a ship excursion there. I understand taxi fare is not cheap.

Looks like this will be a ship tour stop - I think that is the way most are going lately - thus they get all the money from tours too!

We don't sail til 2013 so hope there will be more information before then!

My understanding is that this is a brand new stop for cruise ships so, of course, there is very little information on shore excursions, private tours, shopping at the port, etc. We are stopping there in February, so we're hoping some reviews will surface before then to help us make plans.

We visited La Ramona back in 08' and took a Carnival excursion to Bayahibe Beach resort...there wasn't alot of information about it back then and now, three years later, we are going back to La Ramona (not by choice...we booked for Aruba and Curacao =) ) and there still isn't alot of information...when we booked this upcoming cruise we were supposed to go to Catalina Island including a BBQ hosted by Carnival and now that is cancelled...so it's back to surfing the net for an excursion.

Like everyone else...I Welcome ideas and past experiences.

This is a tender port. I have been reading on tripadvisor and other forum and couldn't find anything concrete to form a plan either.

I think this port might be have to be book through the ship for tour.

There is really nothing to do or see outside the port. This is definitely a Carnival tour stop. If you do want to go on your own, a day pass to Dreams La Romana is well worth the visit. It is beautiful there and they have a great beachfront as well as a sportspool and a swim up bar pool. If looking to snorkel, try seavis tours for their excursions to either Catalina Island or better yet, Saona Island. We have stayed at Dreams for a week and also have done the Saona Island excursion.

In order to do either, you must take a taxi ( yes they are safe ) to the village area of Bayahibe. Seavis is located just minutes past Dreams along the same beach.

No real public beaches that I would recommend.

Altos de Chavon is a great place ( word of mouth ) for those looking for some culture rather than physical activity.

As far as any trips into Santo Domingo, I would not personally do this. Nothing to see unless going into town for a baseball game. On a cruise, that isn't going to happen.

Best of luck